Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
I just got Hulu plus and found out I can watch US Top Gear, what are some of the best episodes to watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
At this point they will literally poo poo themselves in anger if they had a license plate of "1234567"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Putting a BELLEND number plate on one of your own cars is clearly an insult directed at the country you happen to be driving through. :wtc:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Last time Top Gear were in South America - for the Bolivia special - Clarkson picked up a chainsaw, and yelled that he was the god of hellfire.

The god of fire clearly means Vulcan, and is in reference to the Vulcan bomber used in the Black Buck raid during the Falklands war.

This proves that Top Gear - and especially Clarkson, who was invited to the funeral of warmongering British Pime Minister Margaret Thatcher - associate visiting South American countries with the British war of aggression against Argentina's rightful claim to the Malvinas.

:tinfoil:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Petekill posted:

I just got Hulu plus and found out I can watch US Top Gear, what are some of the best episodes to watch?

I'd start with the latest seasons and work backwards. The early seasons are rough. The presenters didn't really have it together, and they had dumb segments that were too short like star in a reasonably priced car.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

quote:

It has since been reported that Clarkson and co might have broken license plate laws in Argentina during their filming misadventure.

Probably when they took the plates off the car and drove around without tags. "They have removed the offensive plates from their car...just like they removed the Falkland islands from Argentina!"

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I'd start with the latest seasons and work backwards. The early seasons are rough. The presenters didn't really have it together, and they had dumb segments that were too short like star in a reasonably priced car.

To expand on this: don't bother with season 1 and probably don't bother with season 2. Season 3 is when they ditch the copy-cat format and just start having fun.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mod sassinator posted:

I dunno, the episode with the three GM cars they'd revive is pretty awesome if just for the Roadmaster. The one where the jumped the Cadillac and folded it is pretty good too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, the "road trip to Detroit" one was the first one that felt legit worthwhile.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Wish Tanner had just driven the original golf he had around the ring. Would have been more interesting to see Rut and Adam try to beat that time than just see him drive a race car.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I actually like Tanner but they really let him play up the "I'm a racecar driver" thing a little too much.

Rutledge is my favorite though. Love his understated southern charm, and he really is the coolest of the three.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 8, 2014

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

quote:

"We know bellend doesn稚 mean the end of the bell and is a word used instead to describe the head of the penis which is often employed as an insult in England," they were quoted as saying. "We regard it as another insult to the people of Argentina. We池e sure the Top Gear team were planning another provocation with the number plate in the same way they provoked us with the one referencing the Falklands War."
Yep, they've never used that word before on the show

or had an overall juvenile sense of humor

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

jamal posted:

Wish Tanner had just driven the original golf he had around the ring. Would have been more interesting to see Rut and Adam try to beat that time than just see him drive a race car.

Definitely. The Internets say the Mk7 Golf R can do the ring in ~8 1/2 min so Tanner still probably would have won anyways and wouldn't have seem as forced as it did

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm catching up on my Top Gear US. Just watched the "large cars" episode from last season. Really fantastic cars, though seeing Rutledge roll up in the donk is comedy gold.

Seriously though, the other two cars were automobiles that I would like to own. Seriously awesome old cars in that episode.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
lets forget all of this argentina nonsense and remember the first ever top gear international special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1-boDnaL9Y

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

IceAgeComing posted:

lets forget all of this argentina nonsense and remember the first ever top gear international special

Wow this is actually really cool. Very neat to see how things worked in communist Poland. Awesome use of Blue Monday as they showed cars being built too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

Hooooly poo poo, these old Top Gear episodes are gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vulhLJ8y7fA

I can't believe I never watched these.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
How many of those old manufacturers are left?

Such an odd looking car it almost comes across as Frensh, almost like a classic Peugeot. Dacia is Renault owned now, and their designs are just bland.

Edit: I just realised that this car is literally a Renault 12. Looks French? Probably is, mate.

Wikipedia posted:

The Renault 12 won Australia's Wheels magazine's Car of the Year award in 1970. It was built at Renault Australia's assembly plant in the Melbourne suburb of Heidelberg from CKD kits. Various components such as seats were sourced locally.

This seems absurd somehow. A French car winnin an award in 1970s Australia. I'd more expect them to call it a "Frenchy-poof car".

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 10, 2014

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Wow don't talk like that about the Dacia Sandero.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Of the eastern european car companies that exported a load of stuff to the UK; only Skoda still do, and that's mostly because they actually had some half decent stuff kicking around before VW bought them. Lada is still making stuff in Russia and is the only one independently owned, Zastava/Yugo died a death during the various Yugoslav wars and I'm sure its now a foreign base for Fiat; as is all of the old Polish FSO stuff. Dacia was bought by Renault and has started to export stuff to the UK which I don't believe they ever did to any significant amount during the cold war. Those last three things are actually quite funny; because the Yugo and the various Polish FSO stuff were all based around the same Fiat 127/8 designs and now they both make cars for Fiat (all the European Fiat 500s are built in Poland); which Dacia had a deal to built ancient Renault stuff and now Renault own them. Funny how that's happened...

Have a video of Jeremy Clarkson talking about a car parts jumble sale in an attempt at a BBC English accent. There's also Tiff Needell driving a Ford Sierra touring car which makes the whole thing worth watching... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lXI_IDBXfg

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 11, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just watched this 1994 Top Gear "Supercars" special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THRUJQSbwxU

Jesus. The show exists at a much more leisurely pace than the modern stuff, of course, but hot drat am I more interested in all the cars they cover than anything they review today. I know every generation says this about the cars that were in vogue when they were teenagers, but I really think the mid-90s had the best visual design ideas of all time; and many of the performance numbers don't even seem dated.

Sweet gently caress, the XJ220...

E: I mean, I look at the new F60 and I'm all like "Uh okay"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 11, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Jesus. The show exists at a much more leisurely pace than the modern stuff, of course, but hot drat am I more interested in all the cars they cover than anything they review today. I know every generation says this about the cars that were in vogue when they were teenagers, but I really think the mid-90s had the best visual design ideas of all time; and many of the performance numbers don't even seem dated.

Sweet gently caress, the XJ220...

E: I mean, I look at the new F60 and I'm all like "Uh okay"

Cars from the 90s are hideous. As much as I coveted that McLaren, I'd never call it a looker.

Edit: Just look at that interior on the Jag. :barf:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 11, 2014

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Data Graham posted:

hahaha @ the Jeremy Clarkson is too tall for these cars comments.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol at the line about Rut being an IT guy for buying a WRX.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Oh god Adam stalling on the line

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Time to express some manner of shock at another outcome that allows Tanner to drive the fast thing.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

How could you not include the photo?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Re: TGUS, the bit at the end with the two losers skidding to a stop next to Tanner with their brakes hard down and their horns blaring was one of those moments庸ew and far between and almost as though by accident葉hat feel properly "Top Geary".

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

Have a video of Jeremy Clarkson talking about a car parts jumble sale in an attempt at a BBC English accent. There's also Tiff Needell driving a Ford Sierra touring car which makes the whole thing worth watching... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lXI_IDBXfg
"Oh my god...it's a Marina!" Oh Clarkson, little do you know what's coming next in many years involving that car :allears:

Also here's one of my favorite old Top Gear clips with Vicky talking about Skodas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARgdkAGX1k8

And another with Chris Goffey talking about Tatra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYia8i70F7Q

Zeether fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 21, 2014

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

Zeether posted:

"Oh my god...it's a Marina!" Oh Clarkson, little do you know what's coming next in many years involving that car :allears:

Also here's one of my favorite old Top Gear clips with Vicky talking about Skodas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARgdkAGX1k8

And another with Chris Goffey talking about Tatra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYia8i70F7Q

My favorite will always be Tiff driving a Mercedes CLK GTR in the snow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRQsfTUw80U

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Preoptopus posted:

My favorite will always be Tiff driving a Mercedes CLK GTR in the snow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRQsfTUw80U

I love that even the race version has a proper hood ornament.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'd do my shopping in that, I don't care what the comment section says. Just eat less.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf
NT News, the greatest paper in Australia has a report that filming has started in Darwin. Cars are a Bentley Continental, a Nissan GTR and a BMW M3.

Is it true ? Well, no photos of the crew, and it isn't the NT News's normal area of expertise so who can be certain. One of the sources of the article seems to be this rather blunt posting to Facebook

evilbastard fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 22, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Well that was a nice TG US episode, but they filled up their own vehicles in New Jersey... way to ruin the fourth wall there. I was hoping for some biting UK-style commentary about not being allowed to fill up your own drat car.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Well that was a nice TG US episode, but they filled up their own vehicles in New Jersey... way to ruin the fourth wall there. I was hoping for some biting UK-style commentary about not being allowed to fill up your own drat car.

They knew a guy.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Eh that probably wasn't NJ. Besides that, I don't remember gas getting past $3.30 or so per gallon this year. They paid $3.64.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Huh? You are not allowed to self serve in New Jersey??

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Huh? You are not allowed to self serve in New Jersey??

Nor in Oregon.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Someone is going to need to explain the logic in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cat Terrist posted:

Someone is going to need to explain the logic in that one.

It started as a misguided safety measure in the sixties and now it's a jobs issue. Any politician that would propose getting rid of the law would be committing career suicide.