Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cernunnos posted:

I honestly feel bad for the MTGO programmers. They're probably competent enough to make it work right but they're building in some relatively ancient, mostly defunct programming language aren't they? I imagine if they could start the whole thing over from scratch with a more modern language they'd have a more stable system all around and would have less trouble implementing new cards. Also they'd need to be mostly self administered rather than being completely under the thumb of another division (definitely won't happen).

:sigh: Bureaucracy rules with a fist of Red Tape. :sigh:

They had a perfectly good opportunity to start from scratch 5 years ago (maybe longer?) but they blew it. The v4 beta was significantly worse than v3 for years, with missing features, extreme resource drain, and general slowness all around. They could have scrapped the crap beta and kept v3 around until they had something functional, but they instead went ahead with v4. MTGO as it stands is an incredibly embarrassing, shameful product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

V4 has some nice quality of life changes and is slightly more visually appealing, but V3 gameplay was way, way smoother and ultimately that's the entire point of the drat thing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hellsau posted:

They had a perfectly good opportunity to start from scratch 5 years ago (maybe longer?) but they blew it. The v4 beta was significantly worse than v3 for years, with missing features, extreme resource drain, and general slowness all around. They could have scrapped the crap beta and kept v3 around until they had something functional, but they instead went ahead with v4. MTGO as it stands is an incredibly embarrassing, shameful product.

And yet being able to draft on a whim is so nice.

Wish they'd fix Controlling Your Opponent's turns making you incapable of placing their triggers on the stack.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The only thing MTGO has going for it is the ability to draft in your pajamas.

I've been submitting compensation claims left and loving right with the new version, though. Sometimes the program lags so bad and uses up 10+ GB of RAM, I have to restart it and lose time off the clock. So sloppy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Gyshall posted:

The only thing MTGO has going for it is the ability to draft in your pajamas. while drinking.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

In other MODO news, the Vintage Super League is live on Twitch, and features many people casting Treasure Cruise. If you're not into Vintage, I'm going to stream a KtK draft or two, if you're interested in having a chill time with cool friends.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pfft. You guys play at scrubby LGSs. We start our drafts at 10:30 after all the YuGiOh kids get kicked out. :unsmigghh:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
so has treasure cruise in pauper irrevocably warped the format around it yet?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

rinski posted:

In other MODO news, the Vintage Super League is live on Twitch, and features many people casting Treasure Cruise. If you're not into Vintage, I'm going to stream a KtK draft or two, if you're interested in having a chill time with cool friends.

I loved it when you cast Flying Crane Strike, and your opponent wiped out most of your board with Windstorm for 3. This is a great stream.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Gyshall posted:

The only thing MTGO has going for it is the ability to draft in your pajamas.

I've been submitting compensation claims left and loving right with the new version, though. Sometimes the program lags so bad and uses up 10+ GB of RAM, I have to restart it and lose time off the clock. So sloppy.

This is my problem. I usually have to force-close the client after two rounds of a draft and quickly :f5: back into the client before it thinks I dropped. I just learned to restart the client after each round.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

A big flaming stink posted:

so has treasure cruise in pauper irrevocably warped the format around it yet?

I don't know yet, Hymn being legal makes things different. Once they ban the overpowered stuff, I certainly don't want to pilot MBC against any blue deck. Gush already was good, Cruise is backbreaking and can be played in the UR and RUG Tron decks.

Kind of want to play UB tapout control with four Cruises.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Today's Modern UR Delver/Cruise results while sitting in airports all day:

10-0 in sets vs burn, melira, jund, junk, mirror, ascedency

I have to report that I posted 0 wins again Restore Balance so that's still a 100% loss rate, we have our new meta champ

A big flaming stink posted:

so has treasure cruise in *literally any format but standard* irrevocably warped the format around it yet?

Why yes indeed

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Wow, I've always been doubtful of delver in modern too.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I don't know yet, Hymn being legal makes things different. Once they ban the overpowered stuff, I certainly don't want to pilot MBC against any blue deck. Gush already was good, Cruise is backbreaking and can be played in the UR and RUG Tron decks.

Kind of want to play UB tapout control with four Cruises.

Yeah I think it will mainly put mono u ahead of mono b in control matches, but I don't think it will make a huge diff for some of the faster decks. I've been too busy to test much lately though :(

E: and delver variants, obviously

field balm fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 15, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I Love You! posted:

Why yes indeed

Pauper has been spared from too much Treasure Cruise warping, since Wizards also unintentionally released Hymn to Tourach, Sinkhole, Strip Mine, Merchant Scroll, and High Tide into that format.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Chamale posted:

Pauper has been spared from too much Treasure Cruise warping, since Wizards also unintentionally released Hymn to Tourach, Sinkhole, Strip Mine, Merchant Scroll, and High Tide into that format.

In conclusion, the only way to save Modern and Legacy from Treasure Cruise is to unban Magic's most broken cards. We need to create a Suicide Squad of Magic.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Chamale posted:

Apparently, they're working on a patch to fix all that. So we can see what Treasure Cruise can do without actual fun cards to play with, I guess.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Cernunnos posted:

I honestly feel bad for the MTGO programmers. They're probably competent enough to make it work right but they're building in some relatively ancient, mostly defunct programming language aren't they?

The hilarious part is MTGO is written in C# as far as I can tell (as evidenced by them hiring C# programmers to work on it), which is a modern, healthy programming language with wide adoption and a huge community.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 15, 2014

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

A bizarre question, but does anyone know if there was any sort of print run deal with Alpha and Beta cards in starter packs? IE could you not get certain combinations of rares or uncommons because of their relative positions on the print sheets?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Before this post, I'd like to say that I've never touched MTGO, and it's all from what I've heard from here.

From what I gather, I feel that the best solution for MTGO would be to set up a second team, developing a new version of it, completely separate from the current one. Take into account weird effects (controlling opponents for example), get Judges in if there's issues in working stuff out, codify and categorize all the effects, make a good structure for the cards to avoid any issues with targeting etc. Of course this is an ideal off the top of my head, and it would take a lot of time and work, but I don't doubt that it would be a great investment for Wizards, in terms of revenue, even if we just consider how many more people would play it, at least if they make it happen in a timely manner.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Serperoth posted:

Before this post, I'd like to say that I've never touched MTGO, and it's all from what I've heard from here.

From what I gather, I feel that the best solution for MTGO would be to set up a second team, developing a new version of it, completely separate from the current one. Take into account weird effects (controlling opponents for example), get Judges in if there's issues in working stuff out, codify and categorize all the effects, make a good structure for the cards to avoid any issues with targeting etc. Of course this is an ideal off the top of my head, and it would take a lot of time and work, but I don't doubt that it would be a great investment for Wizards, in terms of revenue, even if we just consider how many more people would play it, at least if they make it happen in a timely manner.

The basic stuff is actually not the problem on MTGO. I feel like it's working fine, as in, there's a reasonable basic system that covers the mechanics of the game pretty well. It's just that it's such a slow and laggy program, and events and new cards are buggy as poo poo to a degree that is not acceptable coming from a multi-million dollar company like Wizards of the Coast. Estimates are they pull in around $300mil/year, and Worth Wollpert stated a few years back that about a third of that is MTGO. When your service is pretty much printing money, you're poo poo out of excuses for refusing to compensate people when a big event bugs out. People are lining up to work at Wizards, and yet they can't scrape together a proper QA team and some developers that can actually make MTGO perform decently?

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 15, 2014

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Old cards are buggy too. Mindslaver for example.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

People are lining up to work at Wizards
Are they though? Everything I've heard is that they don't offer anywhere near a competitive wage/benefits for the area, so who they end up hiring are people who are passionate about Magic but weren't good enough programmers to get a job at Amazon or Microsoft or whoever else is based in the Seattle area.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Entropic posted:

Are they though? Everything I've heard is that they don't offer anywhere near a competitive wage/benefits for the area, so who they end up hiring are people who are passionate about Magic but weren't good enough programmers to get a job at Amazon or Microsoft or whoever else is based in the Seattle area.

I think his implication was that there would be competent individuals knocking down their door if they were paying a competitive wage.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

People would be lining up to work there if the compensation was reasonable, so it is essentially a money problem.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It seems pretty obvious they need to hire more people and have better management. It sounds like a really dysfunctional shop that's very set in its ways even though those ways are obviously not working.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Olothreutes posted:

A bizarre question, but does anyone know if there was any sort of print run deal with Alpha and Beta cards in starter packs? IE could you not get certain combinations of rares or uncommons because of their relative positions on the print sheets?

There were certainly cards that were printed incorrectly in alpha/beta and other early sets. One of the circles of protection (red? or maybe black) wasn't available in Alpha. In arabian nights you could get a basic mountain in place of a rare because it showed up in the wrong place on a print sheet.

Those are the two I recall off the top of my head. I'm not sure about print combinations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

It seems pretty obvious they need to hire more people and have better management. It sounds like a really dysfunctional shop that's very set in its ways even though those ways are obviously not working.

Sounds like it works just fine with the way people talk about continuing to play with it. I don't play with it myself but I assume their current model of keeping a code together with duct tape and paper clips while issuing refunds daily is the way to go if it allows them to not pay for better programmers. What I don't get is why people continue to put up with it. I tried it for a year, redeemed a set, then left.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Gotta love those Arabian Nights Mountains. :v:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jabor posted:

People would be lining up to work there if the compensation was reasonable, so it is essentially a money problem.

Well that is sort of simplifying the issue but I am sure money would help. I honestly don't believe that money is the biggest issue with MODO. I think some key decision makers have a vision for what MODO should be that hinders their goals.

1. Paper and online need to be totally separate. Same cards, but the cord needs to be cut with being able to convert an entire set into paper. It will help drive the prices down to something that could be more popular. Its a long term choice that is better for the overall health of the game.

2. The card design team will have to design cards around limitations for both paper and modo in each card they design. From what I read they have sort of tried this but ultimately it appears the design team makes a card and says "good luck" to modo to make the mechanics work. Progress can't be changed until this does.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Toshimo posted:

I think his implication was that there would be competent individuals knocking down their door if they were paying a competitive wage.

Right. I mean that I don't believe the problem is a scarcity of talented individuals who would consider working for Wizards of the Coast. Either they're not offering wages that are competitive enough or they don't feel investing in engineers is worth it (which I'd strongly disagree with given the current state of MTGO). Which, really, when it comes down to it, is the same thing: not valuing technical staff highly enough. Again, when your video game business is raking in on the order of $100mil annually you'd think you would make it a priority to ensure that the drat thing runs as smoothly as possible, and be willing to make the necessary investments.

Money shouldn't be a problem when you're making that kind of dosh. They should be able to pay the kinds of wages that attract people who are both passionate about Magic and skilled enough. Even just one or two good people can massively increase the quality of a product if put in the right place and given the space to work their skills.

E:

Sickening posted:

1. Paper and online need to be totally separate. Same cards, but the cord needs to be cut with being able to convert an entire set into paper. It will help drive the prices down to something that could be more popular. Its a long term choice that is better for the overall health of the game.

I think it's far too late for that and the most likely outcome would be a backlash that might just kill the platform outright instead.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 15, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I Love You! posted:

There were certainly cards that were printed incorrectly in alpha/beta and other early sets. One of the circles of protection (red? or maybe black) wasn't available in Alpha. In arabian nights you could get a basic mountain in place of a rare because it showed up in the wrong place on a print sheet.

Those are the two I recall off the top of my head. I'm not sure about print combinations.

Volcanic Island also wasn't in Alpha. Orcish Oriflamme had the wrong casting cost. One card just didn't have a casting cost. There were a lot of strange issues.

As far as actual strange print issues, I don't think it was like Legends (I think?) where certain cards just weren't available in each box or in certain regions. But the printing was far from perfect. I've heard of revised starter decks that had nothing but rares. Island was in the rare slot of some packs of Alpha. I opened a Mercadian Masques pack about a year ago that didn't have a rare, and that was well after ABUR.

Cernunnos posted:

Gotta love those Arabian Nights Mountains. :v:

They're like the 3rd most expensive mountains out there. I have my sweet white-bordered Arabian Nights mountain, so that's close enough for me.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The previous version of MODO was developed by a midwestern software company they hired. When they decided to go back to in-house for V4, they also decided to keep the same operating budget. In Redmond Goddamned Washington. It's very hard to convince high-ranking corporate officers to spend money if the business is making money, which for now it is.

EDIT:

suicidesteve posted:

Island was in the rare slot of some packs of Alpha.

I remember reading they intentionally put an Island on the rare sheet of Antiquities to screw with people. The Arabian Nights Mountain was just a leftover from having basics in the set, I don't think it was on the rare sheet.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

What I don't get is why people continue to put up with it.

tl;dr I enjoy wizard pokeram incurably addicted to cardboard crack but I don't enjoy being forced to spend five hours in a badly ventilated game store/basement crammed full of a mixture of 14 year olds and sweatbeasts in order to do it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I pulled a sorin on MTGO last night, and Im trying to decide whether I should flip it right now or wait to see if it'll go up in price.

I'm not really much of a finance guy, any of you guys have advice?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Chill la Chill posted:

Sounds like it works just fine with the way people talk about continuing to play with it. I don't play with it myself but I assume their current model of keeping a code together with duct tape and paper clips while issuing refunds daily is the way to go if it allows them to not pay for better programmers. What I don't get is why people continue to put up with it. I tried it for a year, redeemed a set, then left.

People play it because magic is fun and it doesn't work so poorly that you're not getting games of magic out of it. That said it's so awful that the program works so bad that I'm just going to watch someone stream it instead of ever risking my own money and free time on a program that I know barely works.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

Because there's nothing better currently. There are other games with better designed software, but the games themselves are not as good as Magic. I keep modo around because I like being able to draft in my pajamas on a whim. I just sell whatever I open for tickets to draft more though. I can't imagine investing in constructed formats online.

Honestly if any of those free drafting sites worked better and had good ways to actually play, I'd just do that. If I could draft online for free and get zero prizes out of it, I'd be all over that. You don't even get a proper draft most of the time on any of those sites though, because people don't know what they're doing and don't care because nothing is at stake.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I put up with Magic: the Gathering Online because I like playing Magic: The Gathering online. That's really it. The program works fine enough for me that I can deal with random issues here and there and have other better things to lose sleep over, and I never play any of the large events that seem to cause the biggest headaches when they completely bomb.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Well, the alternative would be to play magic with other people and nobody wants to do that either!

I Love You! posted:

Volcanic Island wasn't printed in Alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A proper MODO client with current-set phantom drafts bracketed by ELO would make Wizards the Unisputed King of Online Microtransaction Games. Like, they'd have so much money they'd have to build a Bin.

But somewhere in the poo poo-tastic hellmouth that is their management structure, they've decided they are just making way to much money and have too much customer goodwill, so they feel the need to piss both down the drain.

I can't be arsed to look it up, but a year or two ago, in the midst of one of the most severe MODO tournament implosions, there was a post here from someone in the Seattle area describing a WotC Rep showing up at an FNM trying desperately to recruit some C++ (C#?) programmers or some such and getting laughed out of the store when people saw the compensation.

There isn't a single portion of this debacle that everyone involved (from WotC, to players, to competitors) isn't keenly aware of. The only thing that remains unclear is why WotC continues to operate in this fashion when they have the means and motive to correct it.

• Locked thread