Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That ending... I'm stunned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This show is hitting all the right notes at all the right times, I haven't seen a show with this general formula (weekly procedural with broader season-wide arc) hit its stride so quickly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Don't forget to eat those power bars Barry :flashfact:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
This is such a great show. Already blowing Gotham out of the water. And I'm thinking Multiplex isn't dead since he's rumored to be in the Suicide Squad movie.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Liking the show, but cannot stand the "sister" and the things around her:

Barry pining for her - blegh
Her being a journalist (student) and tracking the Flash - boring and cliche
Her smug pretty boy cop boyfriend - annoying

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah, every time she's onscreen I just want her off. I guess cringeworthy female love-interests is the thing it gets to have in common with Arrow?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Daric posted:

This is such a great show. Already blowing Gotham out of the water. And I'm thinking Multiplex isn't dead since he's rumored to be in the Suicide Squad movie.

Multiplex being dead in the DC TV universe has no effect on his appearance in the SS movie, because they're completely separate.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Arrgytehpirate posted:

That ending... I'm stunned

I suspected it when I watched the pilot, but after that I'm 99.9% certain that Wells is Professor Zoom

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

Well in the comics Iris was a reporter I am pretty sure so can't really blame him for that.

---------------------

Pretty sure Multiplex can come back. He has the ability to grow organs and bones. If he can clone himself he probably can use that for some sort of self regenerative purpose. Not sure if he can in the comics but the origins here make it make sense.

Also, was anyone else instantly afraid when Barry had the "you're not my dad" freakout that they were going to kill off Detective West before they made up? Barry so far has such a Peter Parker vibe the second he said those words I freaked out they were going to Uncle Ben him.

VBane fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 15, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Iris represents the price we pay for having the show on CW. Luckily it's maybe 10% of the show and easily dismissed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well she's also from the source material.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think the "we were all struck by that lightning" speech was pretty cringe worthy but it was a great episode for sure.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Dr. Wells is the best, that ending goddamn. I like all the little knowing smirks, like when Barry says they were all struck by lightning. I really hope they don't drag out the secrets crap with Iris, that poo poo got really tiresome really quick in Arrow. Aside from that, I'm already in love with this show. Why can't next week be here already. :argh:

CW, you have come far. :allears:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think the show runners obviously have learned lessons from Arrow, like seriously most show's would have strung out the Barry and his "not" dad fighting etc.. this one just was like " Nope, nope, nope, nope"

I just hope they've taken a bunch away from the show, also I like that Iris isn't like in love with some rear end in a top hat he's actually a decent guy.

It's just really good to show that ending where it's like " No I saw some crazy poo poo, gonna believe you and help you catch the real killer" is loving awesome, I hated that drawn out poo poo they'd do.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 15, 2014

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Timett posted:

I think the "we were all struck by that lightning" speech was pretty cringe worthy but it was a great episode for sure.

I hope it isn't asking too much for them to soon address that Barry is a cornball sentimentalist that sometimes makes those around him roll their eyes. They are already building him up as an alternative to Super Cool Badass AntiHero. I don't hate his personality, I think it works, but I think it would go a long way to taking this show seriously to reveal that a lot of the corniness is inherent in Barry and are not just the writers being terrible.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Marathoned through Arrow when I heard about this show because I thought they might be closely tied together (and had heard good things about Arrow). I've enjoyed it but am liking this better so far. I tend to prefer more supernatural/less grounded stories in general though.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I suspected it when I watched the pilot, but after that I'm 99.9% certain that Wells is Professor Zoom

I would be very surprised if that wasn't the case and that person wasn't the cause of his mother's death. That character is so cool and I look forward to seeing where the plot goes.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

VBane posted:

Well in the comics Iris was a reporter I am pretty sure so can't really blame him for that.

---------------------

So?
I don't read the comics, but a quick skim of the top of the wikipedia page says that in the comics she is his fiancee and her dad is a university professor, so they can change things.
The cliche of "someone close to me is activly trying to hunt down my alter ego" is just a tired and boring cliche. They just got over doing it on Arrow and that storyline was annoying there too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You really should just get over it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh man, This show is so fun.

I was stoked when professor X actually got up out the wheelchair and stabbed the dude. I was like, whaaaat?!? That's going to be some plot twist poo poo when Barry finds out he's killing people for the 'greater good'. Even the scientist buddies are growing on me - they seem a lot more restrained in this episode, which was good. Amusing, but not stupid.

And the scenes with his dads were touching :3: and thankfully only pointlessly sappy for like 10% of the total time. Jail Dad was doing some tough love in there on Barry.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
What Barry really needs to sustain his energy is a nice, big bowl of Booster Gold Flakes cereal.

For the real hero in you!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I loved that Barry just skipped the intro and dove into the episode.

The three empty doughnut boxes and the pile of plates were great and I hope they keep doing that.

The flashbacks felt like they were trying to keep Arrow's formula, but without the structure that Arrow's flashbacks have, I think these flashbacks might intrude too much.

Tom Cavanaugh continues to be awesome. The stinger this week was fantastic.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Caitlin Snow is a huge bitch and I love it :swoon:

Keep on being smug as gently caress and murdering people Professor Bubble Beard.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
As a fan of Tom Cavanaugh's podcast Tom and Mike Eat Snacks (in which they eat snacks and rate them), I hope one day they devote an episode to which snack would be best suited for the Flash.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just caught the second episode. That was a hell of a follow up to the pilot. Gat dam :stare: This show is loving awesome.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That was great, with some caveats. Digging the voiceover introduction, digging the boldness to just be straight up superheroics (If I can save people from a burning building, I'm going to do that!), digging Grant Gustin's performance most of all.

Particularly like the choice to make the second episode all about defining Barry's limits - neatly raising the stakes.

But the show's handling of female characters is... problematic? Not bad. But in a five minute span we went from Iris nagging Barry for his secrets and then Caitlin nagging Barry for his... secrets. Oh, and there's a dead mother to throw into that mix, too.

Arrow course-corrected rather nicely with a strong and able set of female characters, so I'm not worried.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Regarding future villain speculation:

Did I hallucinate the part where they straight up named Iris' boyfriend as Eddie Thawne, AKA Eobard Thawne, aka Professor loving Zoom? Unless they have the balls to have past and future Thawne coinciding, Wells can't be him, can he? Did I miss something?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

That was great, with some caveats. Digging the voiceover introduction, digging the boldness to just be straight up superheroics (If I can save people from a burning building, I'm going to do that!), digging Grant Gustin's performance most of all.

Particularly like the choice to make the second episode all about defining Barry's limits - neatly raising the stakes.

But the show's handling of female characters is... problematic? Not bad. But in a five minute span we went from Iris nagging Barry for his secrets and then Caitlin nagging Barry for his... secrets. Oh, and there's a dead mother to throw into that mix, too.

Arrow course-corrected rather nicely with a strong and able set of female characters, so I'm not worried.

Hopefully Caitlin will be less frosty when her boyfriend finally reappears fused to a scientist.

With Stagg dead though, I guess we wont be seeing Metamorpho any time soon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why are people saying time travel has been confirmed?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I have to admit to being a little...concerned? Curious? Clutched?...about how they're gonna handle the female characters down the line. Unlike Green Arrow, the Flash comics have never been loaded with female heroes or villains. Caitlin herself was never part of the Flash mythos, but was transplanted from elsewhere. And we've heard a lot about a lot of dude metahumans coming up on in the series, and not a single lady as far as I know.

Something I liked a lot was how they really alluded to Barry being the forerunner (:argh:) of a new age of humans, sort of like the first of his kind that changes the game forever. It really sets up Flash pretty much being the Superman of this universe, the first real superhero that gets the ball rolling, right alongside Arrow who's the Batman analogue.

All they need is a Wonder Woman expy in their other CW show in development, but, meh, I can't really think of any characters that would fit the bill.

Crunk Abortion posted:

Regarding future villain speculation:

Did I hallucinate the part where they straight up named Iris' boyfriend as Eddie Thawne, AKA Eobard Thawne, aka Professor loving Zoom? Unless they have the balls to have past and future Thawne coinciding, Wells can't be him, can he? Did I miss something?
Nope, you didn't hallucinate that, and that's definitely the thing that they want all the nerds (and nerd-adjacents) to be thinking. But keep in mind that they don't have to follow a single thing from the comics if they don't want to, and part of the shtick of this show is for sure going to be playing with those preconceived notions. Over in Arrow, everyone was certain that Tommy Merlyn was gonna end up being the real Merlyn, aka Green Arrow's biggest rival, and that turned out instead to be the biggest red herring.

Josh Lyman posted:

Did you miss the end of the first episode? And the end of the second?

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I have to admit to being a little...concerned? Curious? Clutched?...about how they're gonna handle the female characters down the line. Unlike Green Arrow, the Flash comics have never been loaded with female heroes or villains. Caitlin herself was never part of the Flash mythos, but was transplanted from elsewhere. And we've heard a lot about a lot of dude metahumans coming up on in the series, and not a single lady as far as I know.

Something I liked a lot was how they really alluded to Barry being the forerunner (:argh:) of a new age of humans, sort of like the first of his kind that changes the game forever. It really sets up Flash pretty much being the Superman of this universe, the first real superhero that gets the ball rolling, right alongside Arrow who's the Batman analogue.

All they need is a Wonder Woman expy in their other CW show in development, but, meh, I can't really think of any characters that would fit the bill.
Nope, you didn't hallucinate that, and that's definitely the thing that they want all the nerds (and nerd-adjacents) to be thinking. But keep in mind that they don't have to follow a single thing from the comics if they don't want to, and part of the shtick of this show is for sure going to be playing with those preconceived notions. Over in Arrow, everyone was certain that Tommy Merlyn was gonna end up being the real Merlyn, aka Green Arrow's biggest rival, and that turned out instead to be the biggest red herring.

If Iris' boyfriend ends up half the character that Tommy was, this show is gonna rule.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Josh Lyman posted:

Please watch all of the episodes, including the stingers at the end.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Non-Flash fact: a character dramatically looking over newspapers from the future was how I expected time travel to be confirmed even before I saw the pilot.

Granted, I didn't expect Wells.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
This show is so god drat good. I don't even mind the Iris third-wheel parts because the rest of the show is so much fun. They've absolutely nailed it in these first two episodes and the show is knocking the nervous hero angle out of the loving park. Grant Gustin's Flash is a better Peter Parker than any of the movie versions. He's believably dorky without coming off as a doofus that I want to give a wedgie to which is a credit to both his portrayal and the writers' characterization of Barry early on.

This show is just doing so many things right that I'm watching most of the episode with a big dumb grin on my face even though I haven't even read the comics and am probably missing a bunch of stuff that people are getting excited about. But it doesn't matter because I love the tone of the show, I love the Wells/West dual mentorship, I love the Star Lab support squad, I love actually watching Flash run around, and I love the stingers at the end and how confident the showrunners are in their vision for where they want the show to go.

It's still a month and a half away and I'm already at Tumblr Fanfic levels of excitement about the crossover episodes with Arrow. Can not loving wait.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

BrianWilly posted:

Thematically, Flash does fit the bill as well as Superman when it comes to the success of the superhero genre. Yes, Supes started the Golden Age and the entire trend, but the Flash is what brought about the Silver Age, which is honestly far more influential in terms of the tone and conventions that were set. So having him be the flagpole for bring (DC) superheroes to the small screen in full form is fitting (and alliterative).

But yeah, the big thing for the episode seemed to be defining Barry's limits, both for powers and in general. Its a good episode - and reference guide for writers - on what the guy can and can't do, especially essential given the powers at play here. Think my favourite moments though are the family bits, with Barry talking to both Dads. I dunno, I'm sappy for that kind of thing.

Also holy poo poo Stagg dead already? I'd expected him to stick around as some kind of background villain given his involvement in Metamorpho's origins, but... drat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The only character that does fit among Green Arrow and the Flash is Green Lantern as part of a second tier, Silver Age Trinity. However, for female heroes, there's a very large dearth of classic ones. Especially independent or well known ones that aren't Wonder Woman. Ostensibly, they could try and use characters from properties that DC picked up like from Gen13 or maybe characters from Milestone

For female Flash villains, there's the sister of Captain Cold, known as Glider or Golden Glider and Magenta who has magnetic powers and is otherwise without note.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not naming him Thawne just to be a supporting cop character.

On Arrow it's not like it ended up being Ollie's father.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like this show but if Barry is going to have a love interest they seriously need to make it not his sister. You were raised in that house since you were eight. That's your sister. Don't make the protagonist of the show a dude who creeps on his sister.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's how it's going to be for this show. Better get used to it man.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But why? Why couldn't she just be his childhood friend? What demographic are they putting a checkmark down for by making them brother and sister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

greatn posted:

But why? Why couldn't she just be his childhood friend? What demographic are they putting a checkmark down for by making them brother and sister?

Uh, like 99% of the CW's target demo? Google some Supernatural shipper poo poo on Tumblr and tell me CW fans don't have a boner for incest.

• Locked thread