Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
They might bring in Franklin and Bash to slow him down a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
The guy playing Whitehall is a Whedon actor right? Wasn't the first head of security on Dollhouse or am I getting actors mixed up?

Forgot that mask was in Winter Soldier.

May vs May, all I could have hoped for but that dropkick and the table finisher were things of beauty.

Its so sad to think that Fitz honestly thinks that Simmons left because she couldn't be around him after he'd confessed his feelings.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VBane posted:

The guy playing Whitehall is a Whedon actor right? Wasn't the first head of security on Dollhouse or am I getting actors mixed up?

Forgot that mask was in Winter Soldier.

May vs May, all I could have hoped for but that dropkick and the table finisher were things of beauty.

Its so sad to think that Fitz honestly thinks that Simmons left because she couldn't be around him after he'd confessed his feelings.

He was in dollhouse, but he is most famous for starring in Homicide and The Shield.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Melinda May, looking good.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah. She and Clark Gregg were both on point. Love the new guys on the team too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

Reminder that she is 51 years old.

gently caress, i didn't know that. Asian women eh.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

Reminder that she is 51 years old.

Holy gently caress. I had to verify that with IMDB. I figured late 30s, early 40s at the VERY latest.

Funhilde posted:

Yeah. She and Clark Gregg were both on point. Love the new guys on the team too.

This season feels like Agents of Shield 2.0 so far. The extras and the new cast members really helped eliminate that "5 people in the whole organization" vibe entirely. Everything is clicking really well.

Any word on if the ratings are going up / word of mouth is catching on? I'd hate for the show to get canned because it's first season was mostly weak up until the good stuff. I've definitely been recommending it to people who wanted to like it, and gave up, now.

NowonSA posted:

The show is awesome, but Shield remains a pretty bad spy organization.

Hydra agent knows I'm the Shield Director? Well, no time to kill her and keep vital intelligence safe, lets run!

Hydra dude running away? Better use the Icer, and not the normal gun that I should always have with me just in case.

I get that they don't want Shield running around killing people all the time, but if you can't kill future Nazis you're bad peacekeepers.

Remember the show early on (though it makes way more sense knowing Ward now) when at the drop of a hat SHIELD would just blast EVERYONE with live ammo? They started using the icers after that hilarious moment where they killed what they thought were possible (and still could have been) SHIELD agents to get into Fury's facility. Who, in fact, given everything we know now probably were in fact loyal SHIELD guys.

That said, if he had shot the woman, he'd shot one of his own agents. She's brainwashed, remember? So there's that.

Still, yeah, he should have put a bullet in the guy at least. A real bullet.

[ED: I can also excuse this because the two ops he had that day - the party and then Talbot - weren't supposed to be Hydra. If Talbot was really Talbot, he might want to shoot him again and not kill the guy. So under the circumstances I can totally buy them not having real bullets loaded.]

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 15, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Real Gun or Icer, Coulson was slow on the draw. Guess he got distracted by the extra May.

And, did I miss some dialogue, or did the team just know that the painting had Kree writing on it and that they had to go to the party? The priest showed off the painting, then the logo, and then they were stealing their invitations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm just a little impressed by next week's trailer.
It looks like Raina's 48-hour deadline has pushed her into the endgame. I hope they follow through on that rather than finding some way to dial everything back, I don't want Skye hung as "ooo a mystery" for the entire season.

How many more episodes do we get before winter hiatus (and Agent Carter yaaaay)?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
We're gonna need a gif of that coffee-table head-slam.

...holy crap, was that ironic finishing move intentional???

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
They're doing a great job with the gadgets and such, showing that this show isn't just Burn Notice or whatever other spy show, but a comic-booky, extra sci-fi spy show. There's Hydra's tech like the hacking robot that hacked the plane, and the pain-bug that Ageless Nazi used on Raina, but it's especially cool that they're tapping into the shared universe movie stuff, with the Winter Soldier mask, the telepresence retinas that were reminiscent of the trick from Avengers.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

ApeHawk posted:

We're gonna need a gif of that coffee-table head-slam.

...holy crap, was that ironic finishing move intentional???

It is a thing of beauty.

ed: dropkick

Strabo4 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 15, 2014

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Strabo4 posted:

It is a thing of beauty.

Highlight of the season

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

So, since they're apparently doing Civil War on Feige's say-so, how fast do they have to ramp up on introducing more "Gifted" characters or the Inhumans for it to make sense?

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 15, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Strabo4 posted:

It is a thing of beauty.

Can I just quote this post forever? :allears:

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Deadpool posted:

Reed Diamond: Supervillain is something I'm pretty sure I've always wanted but just never consciously. He's great.

I always liked him in Dollhouse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Republican Vampire posted:

So, since they're apparently doing Civil War on Feige's say-so, how fast do they have to ramp up on introducing more "Gifted" characters or the Inhumans for it to make sense?

It'll be like Age of Ultron where it'll be pretty much that in name only with only the barest of connections. So no need for that.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

NowonSA posted:

The show is awesome, but Shield remains a pretty bad spy organization.

Hydra agent knows I'm the Shield Director? Well, no time to kill her and keep vital intelligence safe, lets run!

Hydra dude running away? Better use the Icer, and not the normal gun that I should always have with me just in case.

I get that they don't want Shield running around killing people all the time, but if you can't kill future Nazis you're bad peacekeepers.

pretty much this

still a great episode

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Strabo4 posted:

It is a thing of beauty.

This fight was so drat amazing. The stuntwork, cinematography and SFX were all top notch.

I hope I have even just a tenth of Ming-Wa Nen's buffness when I'm 50.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Pyroi posted:

Really good luck that they had someone with her exact body type and hair.

I was hoping that someone else would mention this but I thought a big different was in their breast sizes. I guess that makes just me the creepy guy?

At the very least they wore that dress quite differently.

Great episode either way. Fitz is awesome when he can manage it.

anastazius
May 17, 2009
Yes. Yes it does.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also have different skin tones but who cares it's a magic spy mask.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Inkspot posted:

And, did I miss some dialogue, or did the team just know that the painting had Kree writing on it and that they had to go to the party? The priest showed off the painting, then the logo, and then they were stealing their invitations.
Coulson and May say something during the party about making the team think that it was just a standard op, I think.

VBane posted:

He was also one of the leads in Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing, in case you needed more evidence that he's a Whedon guy. That also means he has experience with Clark Gregg which is nice for the show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Aphrodite posted:

They also have different skin tones but who cares it's a magic spy mask.

It matters because it's so dumb - this is an organization that has the technology to create cloaking devices. some sort of holographic gizmo that affected the whole body would have been perfectly plausible from an in universe tech perspective, been no more expensive from an effects perspective, and would have been far more plausible.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm just under halfway through tonight's episode but I am just so pleasantly surprised that this has become a show I genuinely anticipate watching rather than something I watch out of obligation due to being a comic book nerd.

The new cast members really seem to bring out the best of the old ones still around, and the status quo shake ups for Fitz, Simmons, and Ward all make them much more interesting characters. It is also nice to see May get more one on one time with Coulson since you can only play the "incredibly pissed and wanting to kill Ward" so many times.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This is a late request but does anyone have a .gif from the Season One finale of Garrett stabbing someone with their own rib? It was edited in the UK and I want to see the full effect.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

gently caress, i didn't know that. Asian women eh.

Everybody ages differently and it isn't an inherent trait in any race.

BSam posted:

I was hoping that someone else would mention this but I thought a big different was in their breast sizes. I guess that makes just me the creepy guy?

I'm creepier than you and will just say that depending on bust/cup size and how the bra/dress handles the decolletage it might be hard to tell.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

iPodschun posted:

Coulson and May say something during the party about making the team think that it was just a standard op, I think.

But they never explained what that standard op was? SHIELD is going to show up, because if they don't there's no show, but a little explanation of what the rest of the team thought Coulson and May were doing, and how they even knew to go to a benefit for a burned-down church to get the painting would have been nice. Or, like I said, I might have missed it, but I don't think so.

Anyway, I'm glad the show is fully embracing the goofy Steranko comic book spy tech. It makes the show a lot more fun to watch, despite still being frustratingly uneven.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Butts posted:

Everybody ages differently and it isn't an inherent trait in any race.

Well it kind of is. It's a diet thing too though. It's a fairly well known thing that Asian women often look a lot younger for a lot longer.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Inkspot posted:

But they never explained what that standard op was? SHIELD is going to show up, because if they don't there's no show, but a little explanation of what the rest of the team thought Coulson and May were doing, and how they even knew to go to a benefit for a burned-down church to get the painting would have been nice. Or, like I said, I might have missed it, but I don't think so.

Anyway, I'm glad the show is fully embracing the goofy Steranko comic book spy tech. It makes the show a lot more fun to watch, despite still being frustratingly uneven.

Yeah, they say it's a standard op, they hide the fact that it's personal for Coulson.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rocksicles posted:

She played Chun-Li in Street fighter The Movie, and Mulan in... Mulan.
So there's 18+ years right there. She just ages better than us mortals.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yeah, they say it's a standard op, they hide the fact that it's personal for Coulson.

I thought the "Standard OP" thing was specifically referring to Skye trying to dig into what secret business Coulson has been up to all season, and how so far they're not in danger because Skye still thinks it's just some kind of typical secret SHIELD business and doesn't know it's something personal.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

The Lord Bude posted:

It matters because it's so dumb - this is an organization that has the technology to create cloaking devices. some sort of holographic gizmo that affected the whole body would have been perfectly plausible from an in universe tech perspective, been no more expensive from an effects perspective, and would have been far more plausible.

Hell, the last episode of Castle featured a "cloaking" suit as a plot point in a murder and that show takes place in the "real" world.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

hiddenriverninja posted:

The fact that the team doesn't know the mission is personal for Coulson was made abundantly clear. But just waving it off to them as "a standard op" doesn't explain WHY the team thought the mission took them there at all. A standard op doing what?

"There's a benefit with a bunch of rich people, so let's case the joint and hope there's some Hydra poo poo going down, and oh look, a mysterious painting with Kree on the back! Good thing we were 'standard op-ing' the place!"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Inkspot posted:

The fact that the team doesn't know the mission is personal for Coulson was made abundantly clear. But just waving it off to them as "a standard op" doesn't explain WHY the team thought the mission took them there at all. A standard op doing what?

"There's a benefit with a bunch of rich people, so let's case the joint and hope there's some Hydra poo poo going down, and oh look, a mysterious painting with Kree on the back! Good thing we were 'standard op-ing' the place!"

Hey the Director directs, drones follow. :colbert:

:hailhydra:

edit: compliance will be rewarded

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

He wasn't hiding that they were there for the painting with the weird writing that he had Skye researching as far back at least as the first episode this season.

He was hiding that he wanted the painting for his personal connection to the writing.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Inkspot posted:

They knew they were there for the painting because it had the symbols on it. They thought it was just because it appeared all over the place (as noted by the beginning scene).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Inkspot posted:

In regards to how they found out about the painting, I don't think it was a secret to begin with? When the church is verifying a miracle that often makes big news. They showed it being in the newspaper and stuff, and it was publicly known there was weird symbols/writing on the back, there was a picture of it even.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Thank you! That's all I wanted to know! I must have just missed the part about the symbols being reported along with the painting's miraculous survival. I sat through the entire episode getting more and more frustrated as all of this cool stuff happened and not knowing how they knew to even track down the painting in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Inkspot posted:

Thank you! That's all I wanted to know! I must have just missed the part about the symbols being reported along with the painting's miraculous survival. I sat through the entire episode getting more and more frustrated as all of this cool stuff happened and not knowing how they knew to even track down the painting in the first place.

The thought of you getting frustrated at cool stuff happening because you think there is a small foundational detail missing is getting me frustrated.

• Locked thread