Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Shelf Adventure posted:

Does Bowser actually have a kingdom? Or is he king of the koopa like Jesus is King of the Jews?
Maybe his Empire is of the metaphorical Industrial kind, apparently he actually did become an Oil Baron like he wanted to in that "Ignorance is Bliss" song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
How do the pikmin get out of the ground without Olimar around?

^^^ He's pretty clearly the leading exporter of lava and lava products.

Looper fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 14, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Reminder that the song about the Pikmin's bushido honor to their master Olimar was so popular in Japan that the single outsold the game. No one in Japan thinks of Olimar as mistreating the Pikmin

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Davinci posted:

He grabs then by their heads and throws then into the open mouths and clutching talons of hungry monsters.

You're a bad Captain if you're throwing them into their mouths and not their asses. :colbert:

Looper posted:

How do the pikmin get out of the ground without Olimar around?

Can't the Pikmin pluck each other in 2? Or do I just remember Louie doing it or something.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

oddium posted:

Reminder that the song about the Pikmin's bushido honor to their master Olimar was so popular in Japan that the single outsold the game. No one in Japan thinks of Olimar as mistreating the Pikmin

jesus christ that is a terrible song.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fremry posted:

I finally got around to watching the E3 treehouse video for Yoshi's Wooly World, and I didn't realize how cool it looks until now.

Also, I loving hate those two girls they've had on the various treehouse events. The blonde one especially so. She like goes out of her way to be a living stereotype.

A stereotype of what, exactly?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

oddium posted:

Wasn't that song in Brawl? I think I remember immediately turning it off.

greatn posted:

I recall her finding Yarn Yoshi adorable, which is something girls do. Also everyone, because Yarn Yoshi really is adorable. :3:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

She's constantly talking about how adorable everything is and in that video specifically how she wants to steal her coworker's totally cute Yarn Yoshi plushie, but he put it up so high she can't reach it. I don't mind the other girl, but when the two of them get together, they talk over each other which annoys me to no end.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Is Tropical Freeze more difficult than Donkey Kong Returns? I just finished the 3DS copy of DKR that I got as the platinum reward, and I definitely got frustrated at times because of the controls. I'm hoping that the crappy analog circle is what made game so frustrating. I used ~45 lives on the last guy.

Edit: poo poo, didn't realize no one posted between my last posts.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 15, 2014

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

greatn posted:

Olimar's subjugation of the docile Pikmin for the use of bringing him treasure and resources and fighting wars is no better than the acts of Christopher Columbus.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fremry posted:

Is Tropical Freeze more difficult than Donkey Kong Returns? I just finished the 3DS copy of DKR that I got as the platinum reward, and I definitely got frustrated at times because of the controls. I'm hoping that the crappy analog circle is what made game so frustrating. I used ~45 lives on the last guy.

Everyone is probably going to tell you that it's harder, but I don't see it. DKCR got down right sadistic at times, but Tropical Freeze is way more forgiving about everything. The temple levels are quite a bit easier IMO

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Fremry posted:

I'm playing my DKCR right now too and heard Tropical Freeze is slightly easier.

Also you should have used the Dpad. I do, and I've died a lot but they were pretty much all my fault for sucking at it, not because of any control issue.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I can't use the Dpad because I have the small 3DS and it cramps my hand to use the Dpad. My biggest control issue was moving the circle pad in the direction I wanted, expecting full speed, but instead do a little trot which doesn't give me enough speed to make my jump. That happens like 1 out of every 8 times.

Also, the lower resolution made the hit box of anything on fire very difficult to predict. That, at least, I know will be remedied on an HD TV.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Hey, so for you European and Australian peeps out there, Shovel Knight's coming to the 3DS and Wii U next month!

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/10/eu-wiiu-3ds/

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

The vehicular stuff would probably be cool and everything else would suck, just like Rogue Leader.

Factor 5 doesn't exist anymore and new LucasArts is a joke.

They updated the ground stuff to be FPS apparently.

Also Julian Eggebrecht and a load of the Factor 5 fellas formed a studio called touchfactor.

Probably the best hope is that the game leaks though.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Oh drat, here's some pretty nice news.

Digital versions of Wii U and 3DS games can now be bought from Nintendo's website in North America (go to the Games tab, search for a game). Now, in the future, when someone's just bought a Wii U or is planning to buy one and sees some games on sale but doesn't have the system yet, we don't have to tell them, "Sorry, Nintendo's website is dumb and you actually can't buy games from it like you can for other platforms!" At least, if they're in North America.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ultigonio posted:

Hey, so for you European and Australian peeps out there, Shovel Knight's coming to the 3DS and Wii U next month!

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/10/eu-wiiu-3ds/
Took long enough.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm in the states but moving to Europe (Ireland, for a year) in January. Without the option of digital purchases I flatly wouldn't have a Wii U. Its a solution to the assinine regionlocking.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
The Mario and Peach themed Classic Controllers by PDP that I ordered arrived in the mail today! I didn't even realize they were releasing so soon until I got the shipping notice a few days ago. From the little time I spent playing Mario Kart, Sonic Racing, and Super Mario Bros 3 tonight, they seem like pretty nice controllers. We'll see how they hold up after more Mario Karting I guess, but the buttons feel pretty nice so far.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Ultigonio posted:

Oh drat, here's some pretty nice news.

Digital versions of Wii U and 3DS games can now be bought from Nintendo's website in North America (go to the Games tab, search for a game). Now, in the future, when someone's just bought a Wii U or is planning to buy one and sees some games on sale but doesn't have the system yet, we don't have to tell them, "Sorry, Nintendo's website is dumb and you actually can't buy games from it like you can for other platforms!" At least, if they're in North America.

Does it then tie it to the first system to download it? If this is a way around the awful account system then hell yeah

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Asnorban posted:

Does it then tie it to the first system to download it? If this is a way around the awful account system then hell yeah

I would probably say yes. It gives you a download code, which cannot be redeemed more than once. I'm not sure how you're expecting this to get you around the lack of a proper account system.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Probably as far as what system you have your NNID attached to. Hopefully more details will come out.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Ultigonio posted:

I would probably say yes. It gives you a download code, which cannot be redeemed more than once. I'm not sure how you're expecting this to get you around the lack of a proper account system.

Ah. Didn't see it was for a download code. Thought it may have been psn/Xbox style and based on the nnid.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The big caveat is that they still only let you buy codes for first-party games, and not even all of them, just some.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Probably as far as what system you have your NNID attached to. Hopefully more details will come out.

gently caress entering codes, why arent they giving us QR codes? The shops on both systems have a QR option on the code entry screens, why dont my Club Nintendo emails include one?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I support not using QR codes because they are loving stupid and I am glad they are a trend that is going away.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

One of the options is actually simpler than that; you can set it up so that the Wii U will automatically start downloading your game next time it does its standby check.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

gently caress entering codes, why arent they giving us QR codes? The shops on both systems have a QR option on the code entry screens, why dont my Club Nintendo emails include one?

I've never understood that either. It seems like it'd be easy enough for them to do too.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Astro7x posted:

I support not using QR codes because they are loving stupid and I am glad they are a trend that is going away.

But having the QR right alongside the type-in code is amazing for lazy people like me while also pleasing people in dark rooms!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Astro7x posted:

Yeah I'd much rather spend a minute stabbing a 16-digit code into a tiny touchscreen than point a camera at a weird square for 2~ seconds.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fremry posted:

I can't use the Dpad because I have the small 3DS and it cramps my hand to use the Dpad. My biggest control issue was moving the circle pad in the direction I wanted, expecting full speed, but instead do a little trot which doesn't give me enough speed to make my jump. That happens like 1 out of every 8 times.

Also, the lower resolution made the hit box of anything on fire very difficult to predict. That, at least, I know will be remedied on an HD TV.

Haha. No. Bad hitboxes seem to be a staple of Donkey Kong country games. When something is on fire jump higher!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Darth TNT posted:

Haha. No. Bad hitboxes seem to be a staple of Donkey Kong country games. When something is on fire jump higher!

Perhaps in the older games, but the hitboxes in DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze are fine.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

I have extremely strong opinions about QR codes

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

Perhaps in the older games, but the hitboxes in DKC Returns and Tropical Freeze are fine.

Generally yes, but occasionally you will die or get hit if you don't take as much room as you possibly can. I've died more than once to enemies that shouldn't have hit me, so I've taught myself to not cut it as close as I usually do in games. It's not bugged big, but it's still occasionally weird especially for flaming enemies. At least in my experience. :shrug:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress QR codes

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah I'd much rather spend a minute stabbing a 16-digit code into a tiny touchscreen than point a camera at a weird square for 2~ seconds.

I like QR codes too but the GamePad camera placement makes them a bit of a pain to use on the Wii U.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Just dropping in to say 3D World is the best 3D Mario ever made and the Super Mario 2 references/jumping styles are much appreciated. Worth getting a Wii U for.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Darth TNT posted:

Generally yes, but occasionally you will die or get hit if you don't take as much room as you possibly can. I've died more than once to enemies that shouldn't have hit me, so I've taught myself to not cut it as close as I usually do in games. It's not bugged big, but it's still occasionally weird especially for flaming enemies. At least in my experience. :shrug:

I've never felt that dying was anything other than my fault, and I've 100%'d both games.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Tropical Freeze is the best game of all time, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Long John Power posted:

They updated the ground stuff to be FPS apparently.

Also Julian Eggebrecht and a load of the Factor 5 fellas formed a studio called touchfactor.

Probably the best hope is that the game leaks though.

Because motherfucking Disney would let that, or any unauthorized use of the Star Wars licence, happen.

• Locked thread