Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Keanu Grieves posted:

You're making some ridiculous assumptions about gender if you think neither Ashley nor Libby have penises.
Backing you up here: The One I Love is like a really good Twilight Zone episode, and one of my favorites of the year so far. Thanks for recommending it.

this post owns because it calls an assumption that would be correct about 99.9% of the time "ridiculous" when its actually a very precise rule of thumb with incredibly rare exceptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
newton's laws of motion are ridiculous assumptions about physics because they only work at speeds not very close to the speed of light and at scales above the interactions of elementary particles. its very, very problematic that we teach newtons laws of motion in school because they don't apply to everything all the time and if u say F=ma to an electron the electron might get so sad it commits suicide

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Cool and good. posted:

Oh yeah keanu grieves made this Spider-Man review where he talks about how Spider-Man hates women (http://www.somethingawful.com/current-movie-reviews/amazing-spider-man2/2/) .
The Current Releases attitude towards superhero movies is especially cool. To them, saying "this is dumb poo poo for nerds" is not a valid criticism. Instead they gotta shame the people who like them with horseshit about how they promote fascism. Batman, the Avengers, Captain America... anything goes.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
If there is an American Flag in the movie thats basically .78 Hitlers

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Remember when Captain America stood up? Yea that was totally an insult to holocaust victims somehow.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Remember when Captain America stood up? Yea that was totally an insult to holocaust victims somehow.

I checked to see if this was an exaggeration

quote:

In one scene, a group of survivors in a skyscraper is put into immediate danger - bringing to mind an unfortunate event that actually occurred in New York a few years back - and it falls upon Captain America to save them all; in the moment that he learns this he is framed as a reflection in the rear-view mirror of a ruined motorbike as he raises himself up from the ground. Is this film now putting the burden onto us? Are we, the audience, now collectively Captain America? Are you suggesting that we could have saved all those people if we'd only taken action? Are you blaming me for 9/11?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Amethyst posted:

It's not possible to exaggerate with these kind of people.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I bet that guy's TA gave him a B+

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Amethyst posted:

the best part is that he pretends to be really, really personally affronted and infuriated about it, even though he isnt even an american, so even if his insane neurotic interpretation was 100% correct, it still wouldnt have poo poo to do with him, unless captain america represents the entire western world somehow

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
In this review I feel very angry about having watched a dumb nerd movie for fags, but instead of simply stating this, I shall develop and describe to you a bizarre delusion, blaming my anger towards the film on a 2-second shot that I've radically misinterpreted to be an elaborate hidden message blaming me for AIDS.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It's really really weird. Like, that movie does play with the captain america character's old american values a little bit in a playful way and I guess you could see the rear view mirror thing as a facet of that but instead the reviewer chooses to be incredibly angry because correct politics are important. The idea that the movie is accusing him, personally of something is just straight up narcissistic.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Oh my God you guys are still here. What have you been doing all week?

Amethyst posted:

It's really really weird. Like, that movie does play with the captain america character's old american values a little bit in a playful way and I guess you could see the rear view mirror thing as a facet of that but instead the reviewer chooses to be incredibly angry because correct politics are important. The idea that the movie is accusing him, personally of something is just straight up narcissistic.

gently caress it, let's get meta. Evidently no one here understands the concept of tongue-in-cheek anyway...

The Looking Glass posted:

It's really really weird. Like, that review does play with the captain america character's old american values a little bit in a playful way and I guess you could see the rear view mirror thing as a facet of that but instead we choose to be incredibly angry because the laziest possible filmwatching techniques are important. The idea that the review is accusing us, personally of something is just straight up narcissistic.

You guys do appreciate that there's a spectrum between 100% serious SuperMechaGodzilla post and obvious joke you laugh at, right?

client
Aug 19, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

You guys do appreciate that there's a spectrum between 100% serious SuperMechaGodzilla post and obvious joke you laugh at, right?

its called the autism spectrum and youre on it lol

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

gently caress it, let's get meta. Evidently no one here understands the concept of tongue-in-cheek anyway...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Great stuff guys.

See you next week.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

gently caress it, let's get meta.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Current Releases: gently caress it, let's get meta.

Also so you'll stop being pissy that people ignored your dumb post, you realize if your joke is done in the exact same style as the average handwringing 'I have to say this superhero movie is actually fascist somehow' trend CR does, and is buried in a bunch of unironic 'The Avengers? More like trust the military industrial complex to keep you safe RIGHT SHEEPLE?!' poo poo maybe it's a bad joke?

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

Rename CD to gently caress it, Let's get Meta and then ban anyone that tries to post there

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Ban anyone who tries to post anywhere else.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Amethyst posted:

i don't believe the point of that is to take it serious, but rather as a joke. the failing in this, is that it's just plain not funny.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the 9/11 allusion analysis is the straight faced honest opinion, and the part where its supposed to be a joke is when he acts personally affronted, so both readings are true

Rival
Dec 13, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm pretty sure David Thorpe said this in a front page article a long time ago but it applies here: "it's not tongue-in-cheek, it's finger-in-nose."

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice
The part where he said "9/11 IS NOT MY FAULT!!!" in the scoring was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but no man can convince me that he was not 100% serious about his interpretation of the shot as 9/11 victim blaming. This is the same man who wrote the sentence, "The female planes are apparently designed by someone who has no idea what a female plane would look like." Plus, he wrote a manifesto later that year defending his Avengers interpretation and urging his readers to "think". So gently caress off.

Rival
Dec 13, 2004

It really does feel like some people are trying to pull a Tommy Wiseau for these guys and go "yeah, it's dumb on purpose guys! They've been in on the joke the whole time, honest!"

Rival fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 12, 2014

lfield
May 10, 2008
Professor Clumsy's Redline review is the best piece of writing on this website.

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

Whenever anything is presented as though you were viewing it through a reflection, that's basically the author saying that you do that. So if a movie has a person putting on makeup in the car and you're male, the author is calling you gay or if hitler is seen on the surface of a koi pond well...

lfield
May 10, 2008
"Sonoshee McLaren, in spite of being given a recognisable racing surname, is nothing more than a daydreaming girl who can't accomplish anything without her man. She wins the Yellowline race because Sweet JP fixes it for her, the revelation of which should frustrate her, but instead fills her with gratitude."

I love it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Women aren't objects to be stared at and used, they are objects to be protected and shielded

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Babe Magnet posted:

Ban anyone who tries to post anywhere else.

This, but unironically.

Babe Magnet posted:

Women aren't objects

Same.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Reminder that Professor Clumsy's review of the last Die Hard movie was so bad that another reviewer had to pop in at the end to say, "Actually, this guy is a loving idiot, and everything that he said about the movie is dumb and wrong."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kudos for not reviewing Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day this week. None of us would have wanted to see what kind of bizarre subtext you could poo poo out of that particular kids' movie.

pat_b
Feb 14, 2009
Fallen Rib
I hate this thread and the people in it. If you want to read current releases style reviews, go to one of their blogs or the movie forum or something. The front page is supposed to be funny though. CR has like two actually funny reviews (one is g0m's, and the other is probably out there somewhere). It shows that a feature like current releases can be funny but the writers aren't trying to be funny, and their fans don't care. Let's not get bogged down in arguments about whether the criticism of a plane's gender or whatever is legit - the reviews simply are not funny, at all, even when they are decent reviews.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

pat_b posted:

If you want to read current releases style reviews, go to one of their blogs

I think weve established that noone does that

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

pat_b posted:

I hate this thread and the people in it. If you want to read current releases style reviews, go to one of their blogs or the movie forum or something. The front page is supposed to be funny though. CR has like two actually funny reviews (one is g0m's, and the other is probably out there somewhere). It shows that a feature like current releases can be funny but the writers aren't trying to be funny, and their fans don't care. Let's not get bogged down in arguments about whether the criticism of a plane's gender or whatever is legit - the reviews simply are not funny, at all, even when they are decent reviews.

I care about the plane's gender, because I only want to have sex with lady planes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Y-Hat posted:

Kudos for not reviewing Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day this week. None of us would have wanted to see what kind of bizarre subtext you could poo poo out of that particular kids' movie.

Oh wow a white middle class boy had a 'terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day', I guess they're saying that this day was worse than A RAPE VICTIM'S???

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Is this film trying to say that the starving Ethiopian kids dying of ebolaids are having a better day? Oh and of course the protagonist is a cis white male! Typical

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I read a review of the movie and apparently the dad is unemployed and looking for work, while the mom is the stressed-out breadwinner. So going by Current Releases Logic (which I hope I never have to use again) this is a positive development.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Y-Hat posted:

I read a review of the movie and apparently the dad is unemployed and looking for work, while the mom is the stressed-out breadwinner. So going by Current Releases Logic (which I hope I never have to use again) this is a positive development.

The mom is stressed out? So this movie is saying women can't handle work like a man can? Wow Disney way to stick to the old regressive messages.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't read Current Releases, and neither should you, but a quote in a FYAD thread made me check out the Boxtrolls review and welp

quote:

There is also a subplot that will be sure to anger some and confuse others. Snatcher pretends to be a woman through large portions of the film to help seed a false tale of the Box Trolls and to spy on the elite members of society he wishes to join. It's bizarre and more than a little offensive at times. Tumblr is already seething about this, and after seeing it, I cannot blame them. It's tasteless and serves little purpose but to poke fun at a man in a dress, which is really not needed in a 2014 children's film.
"Tumblr is already seething about this, and after seeing it, I cannot blame them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Why the hell is this piece of poo poo on the front page of a comedy website. Why. What the gently caress, Lowtax. Kick these worthless pisstards out already.

• Locked thread