Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Nahxela posted:

Your mom has to make one for you.

http://limbero.org/jl8/180

Do they come with free dickpix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Boogaleeboo posted:

You can tell him the most meaningful relationship he's ever had in his life was with his cousin, that he's a poo poo ruler that constantly gets his kingdom blown up or is disposed, that he is always running off to join random super-hero teams because he's desperate to prove that he isn't going to die alone and unloved, and that for all his posturing nobody actually runs off to be with Namor because he's an unlovable prick.

Then you paint that.

He's been married twice, have you seen the OTHER guys who've led Atlantis for how many seconds their reign lasted and it is mot like anyone else then Namor has ever patched it back together, he doesn't run off, they invite him because the universe is in danger...and he's immortal. Everyone who ever loved him is dead, and he has witnessed the extremely brutal and tragic murders of both of his parents (twice for his mom), two wives (one which he killed) two children (both of which he killed) untold lovers (some of which he killed) oh, and an entire world which he killed. So don't think he gives a poo poo about who's there if he dies some day.

Right about the prick part, though. Atlantis for some bizarre reason still loves him though. They should seriously consider a form of constitutional monarchy.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 14, 2014

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Say Nothing posted:

Unknown source.
Er, the picture, I mean. Not the rude awakening.

Goddammit Zeus, we've been over this.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Metal Loaf posted:

They're mostly done on newsprint.

Sonic The Comic wasn't ever on newsprint, as far as I remember. It was after that era.

I think the different printing methods used by UK and US publishers is part of the reason a lot of UK stuff looks "grubbier". In the pre-digital era, UK publishers had the capability to print in a fuller range of colours(when US comics were still using the old 4 colour Ben-Day dots printing method), but it was entirely dependant on the quality of the paper. There are Eagle comics printed in the 50s that still look great now, but most of the cheaper publishers used paper that wasn't much better than toilet roll standard, which resulted in a lot of art being reproduced really, really badly. This was particularly noticeable in the late eighties, when everyone was trying to do Simon Bisley-style fully painted art, which often came out looking like muddy poo poo.

Anyway...

2000AD Prog 84

Why was Judge Dredd shilling for a sweetcorn brand, you may ask? It's because 2000AD's publishers IPC were facing a massive, crushing lawsuit from General Mills unless they printed this "apology" strip, in order to the repair the damage done to their brand by an earlier part of the same story, in which Dredd was menaced by an evil version of the Jolly Green Giant. Yes, this happened.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Walking Dead #105.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Has Kirkman finally lost it?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No, that's just Negan. He's an..... interesting villain. He's quite the sociopath wasteland warlord. He puts on the extreme charm act that sociopaths are known for but since he's the leader of a mostly uncontested army of wasteland survivors he doesn't need to pretend he's not a sadistic monstrous gently caress anymore and it's immediately apparent his charismatic act is solely for his own amusement. The incongruity of that as well as the general relation the audience feels both to qualities we see of ourselves in Negan and people you know just like Negan but who subsume their more vile tendencies under the veneer of society makes him extremely detestable and hateable, and thus a truly great villain.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 15, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teen Dog #2

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cursed Earth was a weird storyline, but it gave us Jurassic Park before Crichton did.

Judge Dredd #72

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

No, that's just Negan. He's an..... interesting villain. He's quite the sociopath wasteland warlord. He puts on the extreme charm act that sociopaths are known for but since he's the leader of a mostly uncontested army of wasteland survivors he doesn't need to pretend he's not a sadistic monstrous gently caress anymore and it's immediately apparent his charismatic act is solely for his own amusement. The incongruity of that as well as the general relation the audience feels both to qualities we see of ourselves in Negan and people you know just like Negan but who subsume their more vile tendencies under the veneer of society makes him extremely detestable and hateable, and thus a truly great villain.

Nah, he's just The Governor 2.0

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vincent posted:

Nah, he's just The Governor 2.0

And muffins are just failed cupcakes, yet that doesn't stop one from being a breakfast food and the other from being dessert.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaz-L posted:

...Has Kirkman finally lost it?

I'd argue he never really had it but if you think he did then yeah.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Context-wise, Negan has a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire named Lucille that he likes to go on extremely foul-mouthed soliloquies about, and has just capped off his latest one by stating that he'd like to gently caress Lucille. Then, that panel.

Negan's entire shtick is that like 75% of the crazy poo poo he says is actually just him making jokes, but his tone never changes and you never loving know if he's suddenly into the 25% where he'll kill you for laughing at him.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

I fear I've fallen into my community college's Literary Analysis 102 class.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Good then you'll be used to being a pompous asshat.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ghostlight posted:

Cursed Earth was a weird storyline, but it gave us Jurassic Park before Crichton did.

Judge Dredd #72

Literally Kermit streams readings of bad webcomics from the bad webcomics thread and does Judge Dredd's Cursed Earth as a palate cleanser... that story where they had to stop the victims of vampire assaults from staking the last President of the United States was amazing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ghostlight posted:

Judge Dredd #72

The storyline that is never going to reprinted.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PJOmega posted:

I fear I've fallen into my community college's Literary Analysis 102 class.

CD is leaking, but instead of defending terrible movies by lovely hack directors, they're defending terrible comic books by lovely hack writers. Kirkman is the loving worst, and I wish I had the time I spent reading the first few arcs of Walking Dead back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really don't get the Kirkman hate, especially for The Walking Dead. It's hardly great art or anything, but exactly what about it is such poo poo? Is it one of those things where the marketing promises the "adult" zombie book and we get stupid poo poo like kids living with half their heads blown off and grown-rear end men ruling a small town with a pet tiger? It really doesn't bother me. I used to read the TBPs when I worked a lovely bookstore job and every 6 months to a year when I have an afternoon to kill I go to Barnes and Noble and catch up on the trades, and I always look for this supposed torrent of poo poo all you BSSers swear is there and I'm just not seeing it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those first arcs were fine. The story just kept getting stupider the longer it went. Nergal is the nadir, as far as I know. I couldn't be bothered even keeping up with the story second hand after he was introduced.

I'm sure Kirkman can find a new low if it keeps getting published. If his other work's shown anything, it's that there's nothing too stupid for him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So I was right, it's a case of being promised one bill of goods and being sold another. I guess it doesn't phase me because I read most of the storyarcs in quick succession on lunch breaks, so I didn't really get that gradual feeling of betrayal. I mean I wouldn't call The Walking Dead anything particularly great, and doubt it'd even crack my top 50 comic series I've ever read, but I have yet to have a real problem with it. Sure it keeps getting stupider but I never really thought it was all that realistic or special to begin with. It's just straight meat and potatoes zombie storytelling, with no real high-concept gimmicks even if the characters and settings get more and more gimmicky as time goes on.

And I like Negan. :shrug:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I quit reading shortly after they find that other town. I stopped caring the instant Michonne was introduced though, who is the most Mary Sue of Mary Sues to ever Mary Sue, but also because she is a strong female she immediately had to be raped to show how evil the Governor was.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agreed on Michonne. That lady is more plot device than person. I usually just ignore her when she comes up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I just find Negan silly, and it doesn't help I don't actually care about any of the other characters and there isn't really a plot to care about.

No "just surviving" doesn't count as a plot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

So I was right, it's a case of being promised one bill of goods and being sold another.

Absolutely not. I just thought the writing got bad. You know? Objective quality of the product declining?

I guess I might have been more tolerant of the writing if Tony Moore had stayed on art, so I guess that aspect might qualify as being disappointed with where the comic went.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fair enough, although I think it's a bit of both of our grievances when you get right down to it. Those first arcs really did promise a very different story than the one we actually got. I'm probably just poo poo at recognizing bad writing in this case, but I really didn't see the quality get objectively worse when I binge-read most of the trades in a span of two weeks. There were silly plot progressions to be absolutely sure, but they always seemed to be handled at about the same level of quality as the early arcs. I'd have to really give a poo poo and do a point by point to reinforce/disprove this opinion though, which I'm not doing, so I fully admit I could be very wrong on this.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Hey guys, could we maybe stop discussing the finer intellectual points of The Walking Dead and Kirkman's deep ode to human psyche and go back to posting funny comics?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Incredible Hulk #375

I think "Rack of Lamb" is my second favourite sound effect.

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Ghostlight posted:

Incredible Hulk #375

I can only hope that I'll be as cool if I ever end up in a situation like that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
About as helpful as tits on a bull, but you have to appreciate his honesty.
:gonk: "We have only seconds left! What can we do!?"
:clint: "Not a goddamn thing."

Romeo Reborn
Aug 19, 2014

by Ion Helmet
:nws:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Ghostlight posted:

Incredible Hulk #375

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioIACVP_d5E

Reference or ripoff? Flip a coin, I guess?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ghostlight posted:

Incredible Hulk #375

Your absolute favorite of course being BATHROOM, right?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

While BATHROOM is a really good sound effect, my top spot goes to the sound of pure distilled laziness.

Fantastic Four #324

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ghostlight posted:

Incredible Hulk #375

Years and years ago I saw Peter David talk at comicon, and the only thing I remember was how proud he was about using "Rack of Lamb" as a sound effect.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Ghostlight posted:

While BATHROOM is a really good sound effect, my top spot goes to the sound of pure distilled laziness.

Fantastic Four #324

I don't know, I think "TARDIS!" is a fantastic sound effect for a time traveler to use. Though I like to think his beam doesn't make a sound that sounds like the word "TARDIS!" but rather makes the TARDIS noise.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ghostlight posted:

Fantastic Four #324
What the gently caress is up with the S&M tracheotomy at the bottom right there?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pilchenstein posted:

What the gently caress is up with the S&M tracheotomy at the bottom right there?

They're going for a sword of Damocles vibe.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Ghostlight posted:

Incredible Hulk #375

Funny story, Peter David forgot to show Rick Jones getting off that ship before it exploded. When the editor pointed this out, he quickly wrote a scene where Hulk and Betty, watching the ship explode, go "Oh no, Rick!", only to have him parachute down. He explains that, with all the weird stuff he's been through since he started hanging around with superheroes, he just carries a parachute with him everywhere now. When Hulk says that's ridiculous, Rick replies, "Why? I needed it, didn't I?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

When Hulk says that's ridiculous, Rick replies, "Why? I needed it, didn't I?"

I love the mental image of the Hulk, of all people, calling something ridiculous.

• Locked thread