Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Orioles, you had a pretty killer season,

Now make sure you sign some guys to mash taters and maybe figure out a way to keep Miller cause I like that dude.

Good luck KC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

If the Royals complete the sweep tomorrow, I'm a bit worried that all the time off waiting for the NLCS to finish might cool them down, a la the 2007 Rockies.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Royals haven't lost a playoff game since 1985.

They've had the complete opposite problem the Chiefs have had since '93 or whenever. They just need to get in.

somethingblue
Sep 25, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If the Royals complete the sweep tomorrow, I'm a bit worried that all the time off waiting for the NLCS to finish might cool them down, a la the 2007 Rockies.

this is legit and they should think about not sweeping, maybe give the 7-8-9 guys a day off

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
For gently caress's sake you don't assume you're going to win. This is baseball, crazy poo poo happens here LIKE THE ROYALS GOING 7-0 IN THE PLAYOFFS

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My dreams of an all-orange World Series. :qq:

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
It sucks enough when your team is about to be eliminated, but it really sucks a lot more on top of that when some pinch runner's prophecy is also about to be fulfilled at the same time

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

It sucks enough when your team is about to be eliminated, but it really sucks a lot more on top of that when some pinch runner's prophecy is also about to be fulfilled at the same time

If my team was going to be eliminated from the playoffs I'd rather have it be in the opponent's ballpark than in mine.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah the WS record for team that sweep the ALCS is not good.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Meanwhile, the record for teams that reverse-sweep the ALCS is pretty good.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Everyone said the same thing after they swept the Angels though. They had 4 days off then and would have 5 off before the World Series if they complete the sweep tomorrow. I'm inclined to believe there probably isn't much to that.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

i hate the fuckin playoffs

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Everyone said the same thing after they swept the Angels though. They had 4 days off then and would have 5 off before the World Series if they complete the sweep tomorrow. I'm inclined to believe there probably isn't much to that.

Both teams had about the same amount days of rest for this series though. That wouldn't be the case for the WS though.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I feel sorry for whatever NL team has to face the baseball juggernaut that is the Kansas City Royals.

That is a sentence I just typed.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I blame Lorde

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Walked posted:

Orioles, you had a pretty killer season,

Now make sure you sign some guys to mash taters and maybe figure out a way to keep Miller cause I like that dude.

Good luck KC
The AL leader in HRs has been an Oriole for two years in a row. Taters aren't the problem.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I am most displeased with the overall direction these baseball playoffs have taken.

Having said that, Royals - you better keep on keepin' on and not lose to National League Bullshit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

zakharov posted:

For gently caress's sake you don't assume you're going to win. This is baseball, crazy poo poo happens here LIKE THE ROYALS GOING 7-0 IN THE PLAYOFFS

Argh, now I'm worried that I've jinxed the entire thing. Like, only half joking. Not even half. Like, a tenth. Or less.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I just read this from the Royals' recap:

"There have been 33 previous best-of-seven postseason series in which a team had a 3-0 lead and only once did it evaporate. Of those, 27 ended in a sweep."

I wouldn't have guessed that over 80% of 3-0 leads end up as a sweep...

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The Royals are a team built on speed, pitching, and defense. If they win they'll be fine.

DeltaAttack2go
Feb 6, 2003

what the christ
The Royals aren't going to lose any more. Isn't it obvious? They'll sweep the ALCS, then the WS and then go on to win another 162 straight games after that and on and on forever or until the death of the sun, at least. Ned Yost created a monster.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Guthrie wearing the "These O's Ain't Royal" shirt to post-game presser. Owns

edit: and Moose with the Moose Dinger shirt god drat

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Alman posted:

I had to look up the reference. I am officially old.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Alman posted:

edit: and Moose with the Moose Dinger shirt god drat

Owns

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

OctoberBlues posted:

I had to look up the reference. I am officially old.

Help a fellow old guy? Edit: Oh, Chris Brown reference... yeah that'd be why I didn't get it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ser Barrold top 5 in WAR since 2000 despite only playing seven years

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphswd.aspx?teamid=0&pos=All&season=2014&season1=2000&grid=100

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
There are gonna be some astoundingly awful HoF selections as a result of the Giants dynasty.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I feel sorry for whatever NL team has to face the baseball juggernaut that is the Kansas City Royals.

That is a sentence I just typed.

I can honestly say that I have never even considered using those words in that order to create a coherent sentence.

In all seriousness though, I hope that they at least have a decent run in the Series. I thought that when the Tigers made the Series in '06 that it would be a great story when they went out and smoked the Cards in 4 straight after being miserable for so long, and I remember how THAT turned out.

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
Gonna be so fucken sweet to crush the dreams of an entire generation of KC Baseball fans enroute to our 3rd Championship this Decade :twisted:

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
That said I would be much more OK losing to the Royals than I would be losing to the Cardinals (which very much still might happen :ssh: )

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

There are gonna be some astoundingly awful HoF selections as a result of the Giants dynasty.

Marco Scutaro gets in while Barrold sits outside in the cold

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Are you saying 2x World Champion and Cy Young winner Barry Zito is unfit for Cooperstown?

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

As long as Ryan "The Postseason Hero We Deserve" Vogelsong gets in I'm cool with all these shenanigans.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Ryan Vogelsong can make the Hall of Fame if and only if a white flag is displayed prominently nearby.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Ryan Vogelsong can make the Hall of Fame if and only if a white flag is displayed prominently nearby.

Haha, I am extremely ok with this.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Everblight posted:

The AL leader in HRs has been an Oriole for two years in a row. Taters aren't the problem.

Cruz is a free agent and Chris Davis turned into a pumpkin.

I'd also like to see some better starting pitching, but that's dreaming territory

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Malaclypse posted:

Gonna be so fucken sweet to crush the dreams of an entire generation of KC Baseball fans enroute to our 3rd Championship this Decade :twisted:

The fun part is that I don't know which team you're talking about.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Having had a night to sleep on it, I don't think the 10th inning was Matheny's fault yesterday.

Randy Choate is ludicrously good vs. LHBs, and turns RHBs into Albert Pujols. Carlos Martinez is devastating to RHB (.622 OPS) and pretty bad against LHB (.829 OPS).

I'm sure everyone is fine with Choate vs. Crawford.

Once Crawford reached, it was obvious to all the world that Juan Perez was going to bunt, given the game situation. Yes, Perez is an RHB, but he also is bad and also was bunting, not swinging. Surely Choate can field a bunt!

As it turns out, Perez sucked at bunting and went down 0-2. I guess you could make an argument that Choate should have come out on 0-2, but that's kind of absurd. I'm not sure what Choate's #s are against lovely RHBs with an 0-2 count, but I absolutely understand leaving him in there. Then that got hosed up with the single, alas.

Blanco and Panik were both LHBs. Might as well leave Choate in.

I'm not sure if Matheny's plan was to have Choate face Panik with 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, or to IBB Panik and bring in Martinez. Either one would have made sense.

As it turns out, Randy Choate can't even get out a bad RHB on an 0-2 count, and also can't field a bunt. Which is a lovely way to lose a game, I guess, but I can understand the thought process of Mike Matheny on this one.

Choate just laid an egg. It happens.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

FairGame posted:

I'm sure everyone is fine with Choate vs. Crawford.

What about Crawford's reverse split? (.320 BA vs LHP and .213 against RHP this season/.251 vs LHP and .239 vs RHP career)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OctoberBlues posted:

What about Crawford's reverse split? (.320 BA vs LHP and .213 against RHP this season/.251 vs LHP and .239 vs RHP career)

I did not know about that. Though the career numbers aren't so much of a reverse split as they are "no difference".

• Locked thread