Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

(Basically me with the ZX-1 laser gun)

^ Me when I get Gaige's skill as Claptrap using an assault rifle

It's amazing, ever since unlocking the Torgue Fiesta skill I've died to it more times than I have anything else in the whole game. It's really annoying and I can't wait to spend the cash to spec back out of that single point! Although the simple fix to dying to it is "don't walk into the grenades" I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
For a game that makes such a deliberate attempt at verticality, it sure does an absolutely piss-poor job of indicating what height your objectives are at. Combined with the pretty awful (so far) and backtrack-y map design, I'm having a very hard time enjoying myself while questing. I kinda just wish they would port the new characters into BL2.

Edit: Actually, their quest directions in general are hosed up. I keep finding myself in an area with no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing. Right now I'm supposed to be blowing up the safe with the shock shield. The game gave me three enemies to deplete the shield, and now nothing. So I have to throw grenades to do it, only I need more than one to do the job, and the first granade always propels me too far from the second to actually deplete the shield.

I wish this was the first mission that felt like it was completely untested, but sadly most of the game up until now feels like it was thrown together and never actually played by anyone. I really hope it gets better.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 15, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jsor posted:

I think my moonstone is being eaten by a tiny fairy in my pockets. I swear I had like 40 and then once I got to town it said I had 15.

CJacobs posted:

You used it on a moonstone chest without realizing it. There's no confirmation prompt for moonstone-only loot chests.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was just about to post this. I had no idea that the greenish blue chests took eridium moonstone...and a lot of it, from the looks of things. I think it just gobbled up maybe 25 moonstone, though I can't say for certain.

The other thing I just realized is that, by default, interfacing with the Grinder has "E" set to run the Grinder with a Moonstone buff...but "E" is generally what people will press because that's the default "accept" key. I was grinding a trio of level ~8-10 blue Oz Kits and it cost 18 Moonstone to run that option, which is a pretty sizeable sum.

If you don't want to run the Grinder with Moonstone, you have to press "Q" instead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mr Scumbag posted:

Edit: Actually, their quest directions in general are hosed up. I keep finding myself in an area with no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing. Right now I'm supposed to be blowing up the safe with the shock shield. The game gave me three enemies to deplete the shield, and now nothing. So I have to throw grenades to do it, only I need more than one to do the job, and the first granade always propels me too far from the second to actually deplete the shield.

I wish this was the first mission that felt like it was completely untested, but sadly most of the game up until now feels like it was thrown together and never actually played by anyone. I really hope it gets better.

Why didn't you just let the enemies in the room shoot you until the shield depleted?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mr Scumbag posted:

Right now I'm supposed to be blowing up the safe with the shock shield. The game gave me three enemies to deplete the shield, and now nothing. So I have to throw grenades to do it, only I need more than one to do the job, and the first granade always propels me too far from the second to actually deplete the shield.

I was mad too until I figured out a secret.

Walk into the laser beams guarding the safe.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Bugsy posted:

Wasn't BorderWorlds trademarked shortly after BL2 came out?

They also trademarked a bunch of Brothers in Arms stuff that never amounted to anything.

Finally got past the bridge in what's probably the shittiest backtracking mission I've played since Bioshock. Was that the worst of it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, some of these invisible walls are driving me nuts, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't tell if it's a bug or a deliberate attempt to limit my mobility for some reason. I wonder if this game will be improved with patches?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol Nisha's dual wielding pistols skill doesn't go away if you re-spec. If you switch to a pistol with the dual pistols skill, then re-spec, the dual pistols will stay forever as long as you don't die, quit the game, or switch out to a non-pistol gun.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Mr Scumbag posted:

For a game that makes such a deliberate attempt at verticality, it sure does an absolutely piss-poor job of indicating what height your objectives are at.

Do you not have the little arrow indicators on the map nodes to tell you if it is above or below you? I mean, I'm not saying this game is well thought out or anything but figuring out the height of my objective always seems pretty easy.

Did BL2 start out with only 27 backpack slots? I was kind of surprised to hit 27 and be done with it at like level 7. Also I think it's incredibly dumb that they don't start you out with all of your weapon slots right away at this point but even if I wasn't it seems like it takes forever to get them this time around.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, some of these invisible walls are driving me nuts, and a bunch of other stuff that I can't tell if it's a bug or a deliberate attempt to limit my mobility for some reason. I wonder if this game will be improved with patches?

Yeah this is always my problem with "Jump everywhere, aproach poo poo as you please" mentalities and this game seems to be one of the worst in this regard. At least have the decency to have the turrets kill me off if I get too high or whatever.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
My biggest problem right now is the fast travel. It's plausible I'm missing the fast travel points, but there's a dearth of them. I think I'm like 3 zones deep in a quest right now away from a fast travel station. It would be cool to go back to town and use the grinder, y'know?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

For a game that makes such a deliberate attempt at verticality, it sure does an absolutely piss-poor job of indicating what height your objectives are at. Combined with the pretty awful (so far) and backtrack-y map design, I'm having a very hard time enjoying myself while questing. I kinda just wish they would port the new characters into BL2.

In the camera novashield mission you can just kill all the dudes, walk into the electric fence to take damage and then walk into the dead center of the four cameras before your shield runs out to complete it. It has to be the absolute center, there's really no leeway, but you can save your grenades and just walk into the fence.

e: whoops someone else already said that, but it has to be really precisely in the middle, I think that bears repeating

Reiley fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 15, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jsor posted:

My biggest problem right now is the fast travel. It's plausible I'm missing the fast travel points, but there's a dearth of them. I think I'm like 3 zones deep in a quest right now away from a fast travel station. It would be cool to go back to town and use the grinder, y'know?
I suspect that they want to encourage vehicle use more, because deep inside, we all love the vehicle system in BL games, it's just waiting for a little push to come out.

edit: I don't know exactly what they were going for with Nisha's writing, but she just comes across as crass. I will not have crassness in my Borderlands game! Maybe I'll try the Japanese and see if it's any better.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 15, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I feel like if they made some changes to vehicle physics, it'd be a lot more enjoyable. But as it is, driving in Borderlands games has always been this weirdly unsatisfying experience where hitting tiny things will cause you to stop on a dime and the vehicle weapons are almost always *womp wooooooomp*

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I don't know exactly what they were going for with Nisha's writing, but she just comes across as crass. I will not have crassness in my Borderlands game! Maybe I'll try the Japanese and see if it's any better.

Yeah, the original Japanese is always better in JRPGs like this.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like if they made some changes to vehicle physics, it'd be a lot more enjoyable. But as it is, driving in Borderlands games has always been this weirdly unsatisfying experience where hitting tiny things will cause you to stop on a dime and the vehicle weapons are almost always *womp wooooooomp*

There has always been sort of a lack of good gunfeel in the vehicles, but my only real complaint is that the driving arenas in this have either lots of surprise lava chasms that result in a death and interrupted dialogue, or just lots of obstacles that stop the vehicles dead in their tracks.

On a positive note, the combat arenas are probably the best in the series. The first two games were largely just waiting for the enemies to funnel down one route towards you. There's more happening in terms of cover and flanking routes here, so that once you get a hang of the boosters, you can do some fun stuff. I also like the love different kinds of weapons are getting, notably rifles, and gatling ARs in particular. Bl2 just didn't want to give me any good ARs/MGs, and I've gotten a few great ones in just a few hours.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jsor posted:

Yeah, the original Japanese is always better in JRPGs like this.
It just happens to be another language I speak and another one this game supports, and sometimes a skilled translator can improve on the source material (the Japanese dub of Star Wars Episode 1 is almost watchable, since the translators made the dialog into something that sounds like real people talking). It wasn't quite as good as the original language in BL2, but BL2 was better to start.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

My friend and I are up to Jack killing the Meriff and boy howdy are there a lot of overt mentions of NPCs being lesbians specifically, with the second boss fight eluding to being a gay romance themselves. They're really beating you over the head with the queer inclusiveness in this one.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Samurai Sanders posted:

It just happens to be another language I speak and another one this game supports, and sometimes a skilled translator can improve on the source material (the Japanese dub of Star Wars Episode 1 is almost watchable, since the translators made the dialog into something that sounds like real people talking). It wasn't quite as good as the original language in BL2, but BL2 was better to start.

I'll admit it would be pretty funny if they replaced all the tired Australia jokes with tired Hokkaido jokes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jsor posted:

I'll admit it would be pretty funny if they replaced all the tired Australia jokes with tired Hokkaido jokes.
Yeah, that's what I am curious to see. I downloaded the Japanese version, but it's too late tonight, I'll try it tomorrow.

A translation that improves on the original isn't going to keep Jack from LOOKING like a complete idiot though. Those wrist blasters and his posture while running and stuff are ridiculous, and not the way they intended I think.

edit: speaking of Star Wars Episode 1, having Lilith and Roland appearing in this game and knowing Jack beforehand is as shortsighted as having the cast of the original movies knowing R2D2 and C3PO from before.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 15, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Gwen's Head is back in a... sort of different form. :allears:

This time it pops out of those little 1x1 safes so look there for it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: speaking of Star Wars Episode 1, having Lilith and Roland appearing in this game and knowing Jack beforehand is as shortsighted as having the cast of the original movies knowing R2D2 and C3PO from before.

"You say you're like us again and I'll kill you where you stand" - Lilith to this game's vault hunters, immediately before the game reveals that they were working with Jack too and are exactly like this game's vault hunters

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 15, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also Tina's only line so far has been "Konnichiwa! Who wants to play Bunkers and Badasses?"

What was it the writer said about avoiding self-references and stuff this time?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was never much a fan of Moxxi, but I liked that last part as you were exiting Concordia.

bubbles and birds :3:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Unlucky7 posted:

I was never much a fan of Moxxi, but I liked that last part as you were exiting Concordia.

bubbles and birds :3:

I'm not too warm on most of the writing in the Pre-Sequel, but Nisha's response to that was pretty funny.

Fine! I won't tell anyone the slutty clown is also a slutty mechanic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Claptrap not giving a poo poo about all the dumb unimportant relationship stuff in the various sidequests is probably my favorite part of playing as him so far. He's a really good reflection of me, the player, rolling my eyes at the quality of the writing. I gotta say, they definitely fixed my issues with him that I had in the previous game.

edit: I wish Anthony Burch knew how to write gay characters without them going BY THE WAY IM GAY, JUST TELLING YOU THAT IM GAY AGAIN IN CASE YOU DIDNT HEAR IT, I LIKE PEOPLE OF THE SAME SEX, because that kinda defeats the purpose of making it inclusive and as a gay person it's a bit insulting to see it put so bluntly!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 15, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Reiley posted:

My friend and I are up to Jack killing the Meriff and boy howdy are there a lot of overt mentions of NPCs being lesbians specifically, with the second boss fight eluding to being a gay romance themselves. They're really beating you over the head with the queer inclusiveness in this one.

There was an AMA for Handsome Jack on Reddit the other day:

Q: How did you ever get so handsome?

A: See? Everyone, look -- look at this.
THIS is a question. Not "wuhgughf what if butt stallion and gugh torgue fought would that be fugughgh fun", not "wharglbhrrh new u stations wharhgh canon."
Just short, direct, and so complimentary that I got to half mast before I'd reached the third syllable.
Be like this guy. Or girl.
Hopefully girl. I'm into girls. Which evidently makes me some sort of outlier on Pandora.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also Tina's only line so far has been "Konnichiwa! Who wants to play Bunkers and Badasses?"

What was it the writer said about avoiding self-references and stuff this time?

They were avoiding internet memes. Never said anything about self references, for better or worse (it's always worse.)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Shardix posted:

http://modsreloaded.com/profile-editor

The golden key/unlock customization functions gave me no trouble.

Thanks!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Reiley posted:

I noticed this too. It's kind of chuckleworthy in a "why hello there! Have we mentioned that we are progressive here at the Gearbox Software writing team?" sort of way. It doesn't really put me off though, because it's harmless and probably made someone out there feel included.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Jsor posted:

I noticed this too. It's kind of chuckleworthy in a "why hello there! Have we mentioned that we are progressive here at the Gearbox Software writing team?" sort of way. It doesn't really put me off though, because it's harmless and probably made someone out there feel included.

Yeah that's the feeling I get too. Like they're -trying-, bless their hearts. :allears:

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Anybody tried Athena's middle tree? How is it? I've been so blown away by how good her elemental tree that I can't bring myself to spec out of it. Now I just need to get my hands on a hyperion shock ghostbuster gun :argh:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Grinder recipes seems to just mean grinding the different colored items together in sets of three, at least thats how you get more points in that badass thing.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I suspect that they want to encourage vehicle use more, because deep inside, we all love the vehicle system in BL games, it's just waiting for a little push to come out.

I actually kinda like the plain, matter-of-fact "I just like killing folks" attitude. :shobon:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Metrohunter posted:

Anybody tried Athena's middle tree? How is it? I've been so blown away by how good her elemental tree that I can't bring myself to spec out of it. Now I just need to get my hands on a hyperion shock ghostbuster gun :argh:

I'm still pretty early (only up to the middle of it) but it's pretty good for a melee tree. Gun Kata is actually a pretty significant buff to melee combat and the bleed effect is reasonably good. It seems like the sort of tree that only REALLY comes together right at the end though, so I'm saving my judgement on it.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm still pretty early (only up to the middle of it) but it's pretty good for a melee tree. Gun Kata is actually a pretty significant buff to melee combat and the bleed effect is reasonably good. It seems like the sort of tree that only REALLY comes together right at the end though, so I'm saving my judgement on it.

Yeah, with the melee dash and some skills in Phalanx, I think it'll come together really well. I've been leveling with it, and it's still pretty solid, but what isn't for the first playthrough.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Samurai Sanders posted:

In a series full of self-declared heroes doing terrible things it's refreshing to see someone so honest about what they're doing and who they are.

A really awful human being.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 15, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

CJacobs posted:

Claptrap not giving a poo poo about all the dumb unimportant relationship stuff in the various sidequests is probably my favorite part of playing as him so far. He's a really good reflection of me, the player, rolling my eyes at the quality of the writing. I gotta say, they definitely fixed my issues with him that I had in the previous game.

edit: I wish Anthony Burch knew how to write gay characters without them going BY THE WAY IM GAY, JUST TELLING YOU THAT IM GAY AGAIN IN CASE YOU DIDNT HEAR IT, I LIKE PEOPLE OF THE SAME SEX, because that kinda defeats the purpose of making it inclusive and as a gay person it's a bit insulting to see it put so bluntly!

You'd think he'd know how seeing as he likes dudes too. I like how Hammerlock was handled though, he litterally mentions his boyfriend once in passing and I was like "yeah hi-5, Hammerlock!"

I hope he's one of the dlc characters btw.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Playable Torgue when, Gearbox?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Can't decide who to pick, Athena or Nisha.

Argh. Someone tell me who to play as.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Damo posted:

Claptrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Damo posted:

Athena is Captain America. How is this a choice man.

You can eventually have her shield ricochet!

e: I am annoyed that the damage the shield can do is apparently capped by your level. Guessing it's going to be fairly useless for damage in NG+ because of it, but hey, free invulnerability/buffs for the team.

• Locked thread