Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I certainly hope he does considering he is off Avengers in May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

radlum posted:

I would hope it is since Hickman is writing, unless they somehow solve the incursions thing before.

"I am the Ultra-Beyonder! I command all of you fight to determine which single world will survive!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The winner is Universe 2008. It's the same as 616 but for some reason the Fantastic Four and Mutants never existed.

The Inhumans are super popular though. Seriously. Please.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, my hunch re: all these 'event books' being announced is that they tie in to Hickman's Secret Wars (which itself is probably going to be the natural culmination of his Avengers/NA run), whether as some kind of story beat or as featured universes or what have you. It'll be a big event about big events, a meta-event, if you will.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Die Laughing posted:

Has there been any good modern What Ifs? Been working on my What If collection, and I'm wondering if I should just stick to the older ones. About to read the Wolverine Lord of the Vampires one after dinner.

Ones that are really good from the last 10 years:

What If: The Devil That Dares (Daredevil in Feudal Japan)
What If Thor was the Herald of Galactus?
What If: X-Men: Deadly Genesis
What If: Planet Hulk
What If: Annihilation (one of my all-time favorite comics)
What If: X-Men: Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire (hideous art, but I love the actual story)
What If: Civil War
What If: Spider-Man vs. Wolverine
What If: New Fantastic Four
What If: Newer Fantastic Four
What If: Secret Wars
What If: World War Hulk (for the first story, which has the most metal ending ever)
What If Venom Possessed Deadpool?
What If: Age of Ultron #2-4

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hope that the Avengers/New Avengers run ends independently of this event madness. Because it just sounds like a hot mess I don't want to have anything to do with at this point.

We're like 2 days away from them announcing the Inferno re-event.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

IUG posted:

I hope that the Avengers/New Avengers run ends independently of this event madness. Because it just sounds like a hot mess I don't want to have anything to do with at this point.

We're like 2 days away from them announcing the Inferno re-event.

These all say Summer and his run ends in May.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

These all say Summer and his run ends in May.

Except he's writing the Secret Wars thing and that STARTS in May. It's extremely likely this is all tied into the multiple universe stuff he's been doing, really, since FF and through Avengers.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 15, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Except he's writing the Secret Wars thing and that STARTS in May.

I see, it's much more likely that they are going to shoe horn a ton of poo poo into the last issue of his 3 year long run rather than it being a part of Secret Wars.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

I see, it's much more likely that they are going to shoe horn a ton of poo poo into the last issue of his 3 year long run rather than it being a part of Secret Wars.

OK, because more edits would be absurd, I'll clarify, these things are pretty much definitely part of Secret Wars, and Secret Wars is liable to be an extension of what's already happening in Avengers. So no, they won't be independent, even if Avengers ends before any of this stuff becomes directly relevant.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Codependent Poster posted:

I wonder if these are going to be universes that face incursions.

Civil War and Age of Ultron would have been much better if it ended with Thanos's Cabal coming out of nowhere to murder everyone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

goldenoreos posted:

Civil War and Age of Ultron would have been much better if it ended with Thanos's Cabal coming out of nowhere to murder everyone.

"Stop! Don't you see? We're not fighting for anything, we're just fight- holy poo poo is that Thanos?"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TwoPair posted:

"Stop! Don't you see? We're not fighting for anything, we're just fight- holy poo poo is that Thanos?"

"Smash cut to face being punched into paste by a comically giant yellow glove"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Except he's writing the Secret Wars thing and that STARTS in May. It's extremely likely this is all tied into the multiple universe stuff he's been doing, really, since FF and through Avengers.

Yeah, but his FF had a good, solid ending. I think Avengers/New Avengers will have a solid conclusion but a few dangling threads left that Hickman will use for Secret Wars. The tie-in stuff may or may not be good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm kinda down for Age of Ultron (with 5000% more Ultron!) having to fight an invasion of Marvel Zombies in the middle of the boring stuff.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I hope Hickman is writing all these, that would be amazing. I imagine that someone not getting the praise Hickman gets yelling at him one day during a writers retreat "If you're so good why don't you remake a bunch of these events that people thought sucked and make them good!" Hickman nodded then immediately began sketching flowcharts and bubbles.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wolverines death was really dumb. Why are they taking him off the board again?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

goldenoreos posted:

That sort of thing is exactly why the Annihilation What If was so great.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So they can sell a series called "Death of (Popular Character)"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

So they can sell a series called "Death of (Popular Character)"

And a weekly EVENT comic about any mutant vaguely related to him. (Thus abandoning any pretext this is a long-term change, otherwise they'd have relaunched Wolverine as an X-23 title, most likely)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No More Mutants!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That way even he comes back with a mullet later you'll appreciate him more than Cyborg Wolverine, Alien Wolverine, and guy in a Powered Armor with Adamantium Claws.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of an extreme way to kill him but still leave a way for him to come back.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of an extreme way to kill him but still leave a way for him to come back.

How'd he bite it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

That way even he comes back with a mullet later you'll appreciate him more than Cyborg Wolverine, Alien Wolverine, and guy in a Powered Armor with Adamantium Claws.
Albert will finally get the recognition he deserves!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Nah, we're getting teen girl Wolverine, bisexual mercenary Wolverine, cyborg lady Wolverine and evil caveman Wolverine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, we're getting teen girl Wolverine, bisexual mercenary Wolverine, cyborg lady Wolverine and evil caveman Wolverine.

I only know 2 of these.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

I only know 2 of these.

x-23, Daken, Lady Deathstrike, and Sabertooth.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Cadavers4Algernon posted:

How'd he bite it?

Short version focusing on issue 4 only: He hunts down a guy named Cornelius, the mad old dude who is still trying to perfect the process of Adamantium-infusing mafuckas. Cornelius begins the process on three mafuckas who are strapped down and runs away, essentially saying gently caress it, gotta run. Wolverine smashes the big tank of molten Adamantium and presumably saves their lives, but he gets covered with Adamantium. Somehow he manages to follow the trail of Cornelius' blood, cause the old dude got impaled by some glass without really realizing it. Up on the roof, Wolverine either lets the guy die of his injuries or delivers the killing blow (it's not shown) and falls to his knees while the Adamantium solidifies around him.
I didn't hate it. I thought it was pretty good, even.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

Short version focusing on issue 4 only: He hunts down a guy named Cornelius, the mad old dude who is still trying to perfect the process of Adamantium-infusing mafuckas. Cornelius begins the process on three mafuckas who are strapped down and runs away, essentially saying gently caress it, gotta run. Wolverine smashes the big tank of molten Adamantium and presumably saves their lives, but he gets covered with Adamantium. Somehow he manages to follow the trail of Cornelius' blood, cause the old dude got impaled by some glass without really realizing it. Up on the roof, Wolverine either lets the guy die of his injuries or delivers the killing blow (it's not shown) and falls to his knees while the Adamantium solidifies around him.

Pretty obvious how he comes back there too.

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot Daken survived Uncanny.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Diet Poison posted:

That's actually a good way of taking him off he table without seeming like a cop out when it's reversed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The rumor dude is claiming they are launching a "Tales of Wolverine" series next year telling stories of his early days. Can't not have a Wolverine book on the stands for too long.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Mystique will be there for some reason.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Diet Poison posted:

Short version focusing on issue 4 only:

Sarcastic version:

Cornelius: Wolverine, how nice of you to walk into my lab! Now, my master plan is complete!

Wolverine: The John Lennon look doesn't work for you, bub.

Cornelius: Irrelevant! Behold, as I usher in a new age of peace for mankind!

Wolverine: How exactly does an army of adamantium-infused brainwashed super-soldiers make things better?

Cornelius: ...it just does, okay.

Wolverine: Whatever. So what's my role in this?

Cornelius: My yellow regeneration serum isn't good enough! The soldiers keep dying. But, once I extract your healing factor, my soldiers will be unstoppable!!

Wolverine: (slowly pulls out a cigar, lights it, and takes a puff) Let me get this straight. You spent a fortune worldwide on the best bounty hunters money can buy, all of whom seemed to know that I had lost my healing factor, but somehow you never bothered to verify that for yourself?

Cornelius: ...poo poo.

Wolverine: I wasn't kidding, bub. Those glasses look really dumb on you.

Cornelius: How dare you insult my glasses! My super-soldier will kill you now... darn.

Wolverine: For no reason, I will slash this tank and become coated in liquid adamantium. Hmmm, it must be several hundred degrees and I've lost my healing factor, why am I not incinerated instantly? Best not to think about it.

Cornelius: Darn, there's a foot-long shard of glass protruding from by chest which I didn't notice until now. I hate it when that happens.

Wolverine: Hmmm, the adamantium has solidified, so I guess I'd dead. I mean, no one could possibly survive that, right? Right?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Sarcastic version:

Cornelius: Wolverine, how nice of you to walk into my lab! Now, my master plan is complete!

Wolverine: The John Lennon look doesn't work for you, bub.

Cornelius: Irrelevant! Behold, as I usher in a new age of peace for mankind!

Wolverine: How exactly does an army of adamantium-infused brainwashed super-soldiers make things better?

Cornelius: ...it just does, okay.

Wolverine: Whatever. So what's my role in this?

Cornelius: My yellow regeneration serum isn't good enough! The soldiers keep dying. But, once I extract your healing factor, my soldiers will be unstoppable!!

Wolverine: (slowly pulls out a cigar, lights it, and takes a puff) Let me get this straight. You spent a fortune worldwide on the best bounty hunters money can buy, all of whom seemed to know that I had lost my healing factor, but somehow you never bothered to verify that for yourself?

Cornelius: ...poo poo.

Wolverine: I wasn't kidding, bub. Those glasses look really dumb on you.

Cornelius: How dare you insult my glasses! My super-soldier will kill you now... darn.

Wolverine: For no reason, I will slash this tank and become coated in liquid adamantium. Hmmm, it must be several hundred degrees and I've lost my healing factor, why am I not incinerated instantly? Best not to think about it.

Cornelius: Darn, there's a foot-long shard of glass protruding from by chest which I didn't notice until now. I hate it when that happens.

Wolverine: Hmmm, the adamantium has solidified, so I guess I'd dead. I mean, no one could possibly survive that, right? Right?

This goon needs to write Wolverine from now till forever. Sarcastically Savage Wolverine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jiro posted:

This goon needs to write Wolverine from now till forever. Sarcastically Savage Wolverine.

Wolverine's thought process was essentially this with adamantium instead of claw-to-the-face.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I hope Hulk Hulk Hogan in this gets a spin off ongoing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think anyone can deny at this point the the 2015 Re-Event things are tying into some kind of multiple universe story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...If this involves Blink and the Exiles somehow, I will freak the gently caress out.

(Exiles is the first Big Two comic I ever bought regularly, pretty much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's also this one. So I'd assume they're all kind of spinning out of Secret Wars or something.

• Locked thread