Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

drgitlin posted:

The list of banned license plates here in DC is 55 pages long: http://www.governmentattic.org/7docs/DC-BannedPlates_2012.pdf

I can see some asshat making the separation of church and state for GODBLES
but how in the gently caress is banning GOCAPS and REDSKNS in DC defensible?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I don't know about the first one but "redskins" is literally a racial slur aside from being the name of an NFL team.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I can see some asshat making the separation of church and state for GODBLES
but how in the gently caress is banning GOCAPS and REDSKNS in DC defensible?

"redskins" is a racial slur, and the caps are just terrible.

Redskins is offensive to native americans
The caps are offensive to hockey

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Powershift posted:

"redskins" is a racial slur, and the caps are just terrible.

Redskins is offensive to native americans
The caps are offensive to hockey

I am guessing that some of the "banned" plates are actually plates that once existed but don't anymore because the people who had them stopped paying for the personalized plate. Making the plates available again could cause confusion in older police systems (officers pulling up older cars, etc...) so they just ended up on the banned list instead.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I just watched an older episode of Top Gear where they showed some banned license plates. One of the was something like ' HA36-MAS'. Apparently that's close enough to Hamas to be offensive to the nanny/police state.

how about 1IlIl1

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Honestly, I liked the Alero. It was a decent car: comfortable, sporty-ish, solid, and reliable. On the other hand, I never owned one, just borrowed one a time or three. I think it compared well with other Olds models, though (because most Oldsmobiles sucked balls).

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

otaku69 posted:

how about 1IlIl1

Taken in D.C.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

anonumos posted:

Honestly, I liked the Alero. It was a decent car: comfortable, sporty-ish, solid, and reliable. On the other hand, I never owned one, just borrowed one a time or three. I think it compared well with other Olds models, though (because most Oldsmobiles sucked balls).

My first car was my parents old Delta 88 with a V6. Goddamn that car was great. Comfortable, decent mileage on the highway (horrible in town). Went like all hell. I put almost 100k (km) on that car before the swedish exchange student wrapped it around a tree (hey, I was trying to pick her up, letting an unlicensed foreign girl write off your car and taking the blame gets you something anyways :P )

Then I had a Geo Tracker. Also a fantastic vehicle, for a piece of poo poo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

anonumos posted:

No, it sucked. It's just a grand am with different sheet metal. Our dash pad crinkled up, the 4 cylinder got awful gas mileage, and things broke that shouldn't have. The hazard light switch broke and caused the turn signals wouldn't work. I was convinced the whole thing would give way but it kept on trucking until it was totaled.

OK it wasn't the worst car ever, but I didn't like it.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 16, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
My mom has a friend who thinks his grand am gt is a great sports car and a collectible. I suppose plenty of owners of those things do. He also claims it is supercharged but I'm pretty sure they only did that to the grand prix. I generally just nod my head and say "cool." instead of getting into arguments about cars.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 16, 2014

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
But what about the High Output Ram Air!?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My old buddy's first car was his grandma's 90s Olds 88. Benches front and rear, oodles of legroom for my tall rear end. Handled like a cruise ship, but it was good for what it was.

Then he rammed his neighbor's homemade cast-iron mailbox through the A-pillar and all down the passenger's side, and that was the end of that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rust killed the familiy Olds.. a 78 wagon. Survived until the late 90's until it was used to launch a boat into the gulf of alaska, guess what, salt on a car from the 70's is bad. :downs:

(it was already rusty and it took a few months after the boat launch but that's pretty much what killed it, the frame just kind of fell apart in the rear)

xzzy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 16, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Our family once owned an Oldsmobile Omega. I learned to drive in it. It was brown. That's all I remember about it and that's probably for the best.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

razorscooter posted:

On the other hand, I still have no idea what Oldsmobile was supposed to be at any point in time. It's like they were designed to leech sales from other GM brands instead of just doing it on accident.

Before every GM product was just another rebadge, and somewhat before that before every GM product was just another rebadge with some slight engine differences, Olds was the GM luxury brand that was more experimentally techy. Cases in point:

http://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/oldsmobile-toronado-1966-1970/
http://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/oldsmobile-rocket-88/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fucknag posted:

My old buddy's first car was his grandma's 90s Olds 88. Benches front and rear, oodles of legroom for my tall rear end. Handled like a cruise ship, but it was good for what it was.

Then he rammed his neighbor's homemade cast-iron mailbox through the A-pillar and all down the passenger's side, and that was the end of that.

My first car was 1974 Cutlass "S". If I got ten miles to the gallon in the city, I was having a good day.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

My 2nd and 3rd cars were 80's Oldsmobiles, an H-body Delta 88 and a Firenza coupe. If they weren't so horribly unreliable, they would have been very good cars.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My brothers first car was a 1970somenthing Cutlass Supreme that had a 4 bbl 350. The thing would hang out the hind end for days. It was T-boned and that's what left it reach an untimely end :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

StormDrain posted:

No, it sucked. It's just a grand am with different sheet metal. Our dash pad crinkled up, the 4 cylinder got awful gas mileage, and things broke that shouldn't have. The hazard light switch broke and caused the turn signals wouldn't work. I was convinced the whole thing would give way but it kept on trucking until it was totaled.

OK it wasn't the worst car ever, but I didn't like it.

The Intrigue was equally terrible. It went like hell for such a big car with the 3800 and got good highway mileage, and handled decent (I credit that car's highway handling with my avoiding a really bad wreck that resulted in a fatality wreck right behind me), but the interior just completely fell apart before 20k.

I'm not talking rattles, I'm talking "window switches falling out of the doors", "went through 3 climate controls in a year", "door panels fell off", "power seats constantly got jammed", "blower motor smoked by 25k, again at 30k", "dash pad was split by 35k".

Locking up the a/c compressor at 35k, then the water pump taking a poo poo (and taking the head gaskets with it) at 45k wasn't fun either.

I've seen high mileage Cavaliers with better quality interiors.

Mom was the 2nd owner - it was originally purchased new by my cousin (who was in her 40s), from her uncle (who worked for a GM lot at the time, so it came with a stack of dealer maintenance records when she got it).

She traded it in for her Avalon in 2003, which now has 140k and has no interior issues except for a loose B pillar trim panel and a missing door light cover. Pretty much everything the Avalon has needed has been a pretty easy fix at home (new door handle, jammed window regulator, some dry rotted vacuum lines). Needs a bunch of oil seals that I don't want to tackle, and could probably use motor mounts.

Also uh, I own a GM now myself. A much newer one though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 16, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

JaysonAych posted:

My 2nd and 3rd cars were 80's Oldsmobiles, an H-body Delta 88 and a Firenza coupe. If they weren't so horribly unreliable, they would have been very good cars.

Automotive Insanity: If they weren't so horribly unreliable, they would have been very good cars.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Panty Saluter posted:

Automotive Insanity: If they weren't so horribly unreliable, they would have been very good cars.

Story of the Fiero right there.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Linedance posted:

Our family once owned an Oldsmobile Omega. I learned to drive in it. It was brown. That's all I remember about it and that's probably for the best.

My folks had an Omega from when I was teeny tiny to the mid 80s. They started in a Chevy Citation, but I guess the early ones had lovely transmissions (or they got a Lemon, I don't remember) and they traded up for a Omega with a stick. It was an 82 I think, and I have lots of early memories of that red velour. I remember being 6 and my mom letting me shift the gears when we were driving to the supermarket. She'd tell me when and I'd move the stick.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fuse box of my wifes fiat, the fuse holders floating in free space are for the optional accessories, the colors and ratings don't match those for the fitted options/the handbook, and can't be identified by location, due to not being fixed.

Central locking and front windows were inoperative, removing, cleaning and replacing all option fuses "fixed" it.

#Italianelectrics

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I saw a mid-2000s Honda Civic today with the vanity plate 4U2CNNV. For you to see and envy? I guess I am jealous of his mpg :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Dumping some poo poo I've seen over the last few months.

Ah yes, nothing screams DRAG ON like a Honda Civic, Honda's most popular FWD compact car.

Hott Rimzzz too:

Next up, a Kia Soul to end Kia Souls.

And somewhat mild, but this Beetle:

My favorite part is the rust on the bottom panel.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The talent gone to waste painting the flames on that Kia... :(

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
It's not a Kia, it's a Scion

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It probably is. I took the photo a while ago. Totally forgot. I do admire the handiwork on those flames, though.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

"Tuna. No Crust"
I suppose I should feel terrible for getting that it was a Fast & The Furious reference though. Was a legit RHD Altezza though

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's actually a Scion xB, not a Kia Soul

PCOS Bill posted:

Tacky Scions are cheating at this due to volume.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
A little late to Oldsmobile chat, but my neighbor's got a Firenza entombed in his half of the garage. No idea how long it's been there or what the deal is, but it's pretty assuredly terrible car stuff.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's some hoarder level poo poo right there.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

This is going to be worth some money one day.

Like all those beat up comic books and baseball cards I have in my mother's attic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Nah, that's just the evidence left behind by dozens of abandoned hobbies or projects. "I'll get back to it someday," they promise.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Nonsense! He's still got all that space under the car that hasnt been utilized.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Solar Coaster posted:

Nonsense! He's still got all that space under the car that hasnt been utilized.

Probably inside the car as well...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Protocol7 posted:

Dumping some poo poo I've seen over the last few months.

Ah yes, nothing screams DRAG ON like a Honda Civic, Honda's most popular FWD compact car.

Hott Rimzzz too:

If that's actually the original paint color, then that's a 99-00 Si. Which has a decently potent B16 under the hood (160 hp + 8000 RPM redline in a car that weighs almost nothing, with a transaxle with much shorter gearing than a normal Civic).

Electric blue was exclusive to the Si. Both the EX and Si had a factory sunroof, which that has. It has a 99-00 front clip. And that looks like the factory Si spoiler on the back.

Doesn't make up for the owner's poor taste, but if it's an actual Si, it'll move a lot quicker than you'd think.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 17, 2014

jaken97
Aug 1, 2013

Hell Gem
So the wife comes home last night and says go look at my driver side front tire....

Lovely gouge out of the side wall, still holding 34 PSI though. I put her spare on, drop the jack and go hun it looks like the spare was a bit low. Spare was at 20PSI and supposed to be at 60!

Wife doesn't admit to scraping a curb or any such thing....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

jaken97 posted:

So the wife comes home last night and says go look at my driver side front tire....

Lovely gouge out of the side wall, still holding 34 PSI though. I put her spare on, drop the jack and go hun it looks like the spare was a bit low. Spare was at 20PSI and supposed to be at 60!

Wife doesn't admit to scraping a curb or any such thing....

I drove to the other side of town not too long ago to help a friend with a flat tire. Put the spare on, and it's looking really low. I told her it's way too low, and our first stop had to be a gas station with an air pump. That piece of poo poo didn't even make it to the nearest one. It was bouncing the entire time and half of the tread just shredded off after about 15 seconds of city street speed.

Of course, I've had my car for 7 years now and not once checked the spare's pressure...

neckbeard posted:

"Tuna. No Crust"
I suppose I should feel terrible for getting that it was a Fast & The Furious reference though. Was a legit RHD Altezza though

Bullshit, rear end in a top hat, nobody likes the tuna here!

enojy fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 17, 2014