Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Wozbo posted:

Dear housing thread: I need me some advice.

The long and short of it: just got a new job with a ridiculously huge raise. And it's one hour+ away from my house (that I bought a year and a half ago). The raise is enough to blast away commute costs and even have me retire at not 50+, but I've only been in the current house for a year and unless there's another bubble that I sell at the top of, its gonna be a wash or a short while. Simply put, it was an unplanned "in" an ex coworker who thought highly of me helped me get.

I'm guessing I just need some advice. I'm not counting eggs or anything but I kind of want a plan to go on if this job looks to shake out to be on the longer term (and from what I see, I really hope it is). Basic help?

I enjoy the Radiolab, This American Life and 99% Invisible podcasts. I'm sure they will help pass some of that time on your (hopefully soon to be) much longer drive to work.

And enjoy your early retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Wozbo posted:

The long and short of it: just got a new job with a ridiculously huge raise. And it's one hour+ away from my house (that I bought a year and a half ago). The raise is enough to blast away commute costs and even have me retire at not 50+, but I've only been in the current house for a year and unless there's another bubble that I sell at the top of, its gonna be a wash or a short while. Simply put, it was an unplanned "in" an ex coworker who thought highly of me helped me get.

I'm guessing I just need some advice. I'm not counting eggs or anything but I kind of want a plan to go on if this job looks to shake out to be on the longer term (and from what I see, I really hope it is). Basic help?

My job is 30-45 minutes from my house depending on traffic and my wife's is about an hour. I don't mind the drive at all - I listen to Satellite radio and it gives me time to think about what I'll be doing or whatever. It's also a pretty drive as we're out in the country, but even still, it's really not that bad.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I had a ~25 minute highway drive into work for a while and it was fine. That's not an hour+ obviously, but it was still a ways for me.
Two major points:
1: You'll get used to it pretty quickly
2: Many local libraries offer free access to sites like overdrive.com - audio books are your friend.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wozbo posted:

This is of course why we advise people who might have a change of job or career not to buy a house. However now that you're in one, I advise you not to sell it, at least not for a year or two so you can see if this new job pans out or not.

If you absolutely had to move, you could look into renting out your house and renting in your new location, but the math would have to work out well enough that you'd have substantial extra from the rental income (on top of your mortgage + taxes + interest etc.) for additional maintenance, because renters have a nasty habit of abusing your property and creating additional costs for you. Plus as a rental property you would lose any mortgage interest deduction.

So the plan, if I were you: Stay in your home, do the commute, and give it six months. At that point you can decide if the commute is tolerable. If it isn't, you'll have to weigh the options... leaving the new job, or trying to sell the house at a likely loss (due to commissions and other transaction costs), or becoming a landlord and all the expenses and stress that comes with that. Good luck!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Commuting an hour each way is an entirely different ball game than commuting less than 30 minutes each way. In my experience, 20-30 minutes is exactly the right amount of time that you can call it a commute without going insane. It provides a nice window of time for your mind to sharpen in the morning, and an equally nice window of time to decompress and digest your day on the way home. There is absolutely a demarcation between work and not work provided by the commute. Once you begin to exceed 30 minutes, you begin to have a window of plain old wasted time. And once you hit 60 minutes each way, that's a full extra hour of your day gone over the 30 minute commute. Just gone. Less than 20 minutes, and it's easy to run home at lunch and all that, and you can't even call it a commute in my opinion.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

adorai posted:

In my experience, 20-30 minutes is exactly the right amount of time that you can call it a commute without going insane. It provides a nice window of time for your mind to sharpen in the morning, and an equally nice window of time to decompress and digest your day on the way home.

My commute has been about 20-30 minutes for 3 years now and this is 100% true. It's not at all bad, especially since I don't work normal days/hours and reverse commute so I almost never have to deal with traffic. Any more than 30 minutes would be too much.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Talked with a friend who is purchasing a basic starter home (1,600 sq. ft./3 bed/2 bath) in a suburban community of ~30,000 people. He and his wife can both afford it, but he told me, "If we didn't do it now, that same house would cost $10,000 more in another six months."

So excited for this bubble to burst, y'all.

Yeah, there's definitely a bubble in my area, and I'm eager for the prices to start coming down. Prices here didn't quite crash as badly as other parts of the country, and they've risen about $50k over the 2 years that I've been looking, while I was building a down payment. This is in an area were home prices were around $400k even after the crash for 1200 sqft

Basically I think that the prices in my area are going to look something like this but on a several year scale:

It certainly isn't stopping us from looking and making offers, but there's no way that we're accepting the idea of perpetual price growth that we get from some selling agents

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 11, 2014

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, there's definitely a bubble in my area

It's never a sure thing.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

This is of course why we advise people who might have a change of job or career not to buy a house. However now that you're in one, I advise you not to sell it, at least not for a year or two so you can see if this new job pans out or not.

If you absolutely had to move, you could look into renting out your house and renting in your new location, but the math would have to work out well enough that you'd have substantial extra from the rental income (on top of your mortgage + taxes + interest etc.) for additional maintenance, because renters have a nasty habit of abusing your property and creating additional costs for you. Plus as a rental property you would lose any mortgage interest deduction.

So the plan, if I were you: Stay in your home, do the commute, and give it six months. At that point you can decide if the commute is tolerable. If it isn't, you'll have to weigh the options... leaving the new job, or trying to sell the house at a likely loss (due to commissions and other transaction costs), or becoming a landlord and all the expenses and stress that comes with that. Good luck!

Yeah, again not expected, too big to pass up (a whole tier higher in pay, if you get my drift).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

daslog posted:

It's never a sure thing.

Of course not, which is why we're still making offers and looking at houses, like I said

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's hard to generalize the US, depends on the city.

To generalize, I think in cities the housing market is climbing close to the highs of the 2006 era, bolstered by a little bit of new money, immigration, government spending on development districts and others. In the suburbs, there hasn't been as much activity but new construction appears to just now be booming. People want anything but the old poo poo on their lot.

I travel to a number of rural areas for my work, and most of those places are still living in 2007. Very little if any recovery, and many of the same signs (increased debt load, etc.) that plagued the lower class in the last recession.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
From the OP

moana posted:

Step 2
Check out some online calculators to see what you can afford. One rule of thumb is 2.5x your yearly income. Another rule of thumb says your mortgage payments should be less than 28% of your monthly income, another rule of thumb says your TOTAL debt payments (car, loans, mortgage) should be less than 36% of your monthly income, etc. etc. If you want some calculators to play around with, try here, here, and here. Pick the lowest estimate you end up with.
I was considering looking at a house I consider too expensive, and I consulted these calculators for some moral support, hoping they would agree that I can't afford the house. I used some conservative assumptions (assuming no bonuses and a pay cut), and . . . the lowest one tells me I can afford 50% more even than the hose I consider too expensive.

Dammit internet, you're not helping.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

gvibes posted:

From the OP

I was considering looking at a house I consider too expensive, and I consulted these calculators for some moral support, hoping they would agree that I can't afford the house. I used some conservative assumptions (assuming no bonuses and a pay cut), and . . . the lowest one tells me I can afford 50% more even than the hose I consider too expensive.

It's not a crime to live below your means. Obviously only buying what you're comfortable with is a prereq.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

gvibes posted:

Don't buy too much house! (is that better?) Seriously, think about not having to worry about making payments for housing. Mmmmmmm, that tastes like freedom.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
What I considered "affordable" was about half of the amount I was approved for.

Heard a story on the radio this morning about multibillion dollar corporations buying up houses across the US in cash over the last few years to rent out. Nice houses foreclosed in nice neighborhoods, thinking the collapse in housing prices and subsequent run-up would lead to increased rents and appreciation of home value.
They sold bonds to this effect, but no, it's totally different this time guys! Instead of being backed by sub-prime mortgages, they are being backed by rent income from the same group of consumers who were sub-prime and got foreclosed on.

Now they're a little bothered because rents aren't rising at the level they thought they would, especially in markets with an oversaturation of housing (Phoenix).

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

gvibes posted:

From the OP

I checked up real quick and online calculators tell me my wife and I can afford around 2x what we actually paid.

There is no way in hell we could do that and still have money for luxuries like saving for retirement, travel or you know - eat food that isn't ramen.

If anything I wish that we had bought even cheaper than we did - it would make things like going down to one salary when we have a kid even easier.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, online calculations and the mortgage company told us that on my income alone my fiancé and I could do a $250k house. We wound up buying a $100k house and never even looked at anything over $120k. Where our payments are right now is very nice, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay twice as much and I honestly don't know if we could afford both that and anything but beans and rice for food. And the miscellaneous expenses that crop up with older homes haven't been such a big deal because we're not putting every last cent towards a mortgage payment.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm glad there are online manuals for programmable thermostats (Honeywell), because apparently I am an idiot and couldn't figure it out on my own

\/\/ - Thanks for the recommendation. I've actually been considering a Nest because it seems awesome if expensive. I'm just a bit concerned that it won't work for me - my furnace is brand new (replaced last fall), but the home was built in 1961.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 13, 2014

apatheticman
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Wedge Regret

a shameful boehner posted:

I'm glad there are online manuals for programmable thermostats (Honeywell), because apparently I am an idiot and couldn't figure it out on my own

Honeywell's engineers dont seem to give a poo poo about usability. Just get a Nest

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How often do you really need to do poo poo to your thermostat though? I just program the days/times/whatever and leave it. Most of the ones I've used, both Hunter and Honeywell, were simple enough for that. Some older ones can be a pain but if they're that bad just pick up a newer $20 one. I put this Hunter in my old apartment and it worked great: http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Fan-Co...ermostat+hunter

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

adorai posted:

Commuting an hour each way is an entirely different ball game than commuting less than 30 minutes each way. In my experience, 20-30 minutes is exactly the right amount of time that you can call it a commute without going insane. It provides a nice window of time for your mind to sharpen in the morning, and an equally nice window of time to decompress and digest your day on the way home. There is absolutely a demarcation between work and not work provided by the commute. Once you begin to exceed 30 minutes, you begin to have a window of plain old wasted time. And once you hit 60 minutes each way, that's a full extra hour of your day gone over the 30 minute commute. Just gone. Less than 20 minutes, and it's easy to run home at lunch and all that, and you can't even call it a commute in my opinion.

Really depends on where you live. Around 45 min+ one way for a commute and you will REALLY get bored of it after a shortwhile. You also will be getting oil changes frequent and paying alot in gas. I just bought a new 2014 vehicle, already have 16k miles on it this year along and I bought it in January. My commute is 40 miles one way.

Now take everything I said and if you live in a state with frequent snow fall (I live in MN), that commute time can easily double during bad road weather.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I find that a 40 minute commute in stop-and-go ugly traffic is much more stressful than an hour-long commute on clear open freeways, so there's definitely considerations to make based on just how aggravating your commute traffic turns out to be.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
First tree guy comes by to quote on cutting back some overgrowth in a honey locust tree that's overhanging my roof ($500) and help trim some dieback on a silver maple in the backyard ($650), recommends "deep root" fertilizer. Never mind the roots are exposed. Total cost (with fertilizer) $1,550. I suspect that's high so I get a second opinion from a different company.

Second tree guy comes by. Same trees. Total cost (with fertilizer) $1,275. Yuck. I have a recommendation from a neighbor for a guy who came by and removed a tree from their property for $300, but apparently he was just some dude off craigslist. A little different when I don't want the whole tree gone.

I really don't want to drop $600 on trimming off dead limbs on a maple tree, but at the same time I want it to live. It's not overhanging my roof like the honey locust is, so I'm tempted to just do the locust ($400) and punt on the silver maple until spring. I would cut the dieback myself but of course both tree trimmers recommend against doing it myself due to risk of killing the tree or introducing infection. It's not risking imminent death to leave it as it is, but I'm tempted to just use the second tree guy's service and have it all taken care of at once. I can afford it, my budget just wouldn't be so happy about it.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

powderific posted:

How often do you really need to do poo poo to your thermostat though? I just program the days/times/whatever and leave it. Most of the ones I've used, both Hunter and Honeywell, were simple enough for that. Some older ones can be a pain but if they're that bad just pick up a newer $20 one. I put this Hunter in my old apartment and it worked great: http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Fan-Co...ermostat+hunter

Yeah but then you can't change the temperature from the couch 4 feet away from your thermostat.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

uwaeve posted:

Yeah but then you can't change the temperature from the couch 4 feet away from your thermostat.
Can't say I've ever wanted to do that with decent central air and a programable thermostat...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

SiGmA_X posted:

Can't say I've ever wanted to do that with decent central air and a programable thermostat...

I bet it's one of those things that sound completely stupid and then you get it and wonder how you ever lived with having to walk those 4 feet to your thermostat.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Nest isn't ugly.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

First tree guy comes by to quote on cutting back some overgrowth in a honey locust tree that's overhanging my roof ($500) and help trim some dieback on a silver maple in the backyard ($650), recommends "deep root" fertilizer. Never mind the roots are exposed. Total cost (with fertilizer) $1,550. I suspect that's high so I get a second opinion from a different company.

Second tree guy comes by. Same trees. Total cost (with fertilizer) $1,275. Yuck. I have a recommendation from a neighbor for a guy who came by and removed a tree from their property for $300, but apparently he was just some dude off craigslist. A little different when I don't want the whole tree gone.

I really don't want to drop $600 on trimming off dead limbs on a maple tree, but at the same time I want it to live. It's not overhanging my roof like the honey locust is, so I'm tempted to just do the locust ($400) and punt on the silver maple until spring. I would cut the dieback myself but of course both tree trimmers recommend against doing it myself due to risk of killing the tree or introducing infection. It's not risking imminent death to leave it as it is, but I'm tempted to just use the second tree guy's service and have it all taken care of at once. I can afford it, my budget just wouldn't be so happy about it.

Rent a pole saw and do it yourself

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

I would cut the dieback myself but of course both tree trimmers recommend against doing it myself due to risk of killing the tree or introducing infection. wanting your money.

If you think you can do it without hurting yourself, I agree with the poster above.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
DIY! Just make sure you get that black spray stuff from home depot to cover up the cuts on the tree.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

moana posted:

DIY! Just make sure you get that black spray stuff from home depot to cover up the cuts on the tree.

No don't http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/horticultural%20myths_files/Myths/Wound%20sealer.pdf

Just look up some videos on YouTube about pruning trees and the 3 cut method. Just be safe and work from the ground only. If you have to use a ladder, you should probably bite the bullet and hire someone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

The Nest isn't ugly.

Its also a $300 thermostat that doesn't do much more than a $25 5-2 thermostat.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

moana posted:

Lots of trees and shrubs will heal up wounds pretty quick. If you ever read roundup instructions it says to spray within a minute of a cut to have a chance of getting it. The dead stuff is probably more at risk of infection than cutting it off.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

recommends "deep root" fertilizer. Never mind the roots are exposed.

The thick exposed roots you see are structural, and have more in common with the tree trunk than the nutrient absorbing roots below ground. Your lawn also makes for stiff competition if nutrients are scarce. It's not a fundamentally unsound technique.

That said, I gather that it's generally unnecessary. It might help save a sick tree with a severe nutrient problem, but you can keep a healthy tree healthy just by maintaining sufficient nutrients through regular lawn fertilization.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Economic Sinkhole posted:

No don't http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20chalker-scott/horticultural%20myths_files/Myths/Wound%20sealer.pdf

Just look up some videos on YouTube about pruning trees and the 3 cut method. Just be safe and work from the ground only. If you have to use a ladder, you should probably bite the bullet and hire someone.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The silver maple is about 50' high and the honey locust 40', both would require a harness to safely remove the areas that need to be trimmed. There are lower parts that I could cut myself, but I definitely don't want to be climbing up there myself with no experience.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If you want cheap tree guys, call your insurance agent and make sure you are covered for workers injuring themselves and damage caused by cutting a tree down on to your house, then find some maroon on craigslist for $100 a day. The guy I found turned out to be awesome at cutting down and removing trees. He didn't even steal anything.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hey guys, just discovered this thread and wanted to offer my assistance. I'm a Realtor in Ohio. I'm not very comfortable answering specific finance type questions. Maybe some general finance questions. Things I am able to help with are:

Negotiating tactics
Realtor questions
Commission questions or concerns
Federal housing laws
Ohio real estate laws
Condo questions and concerns
Frequent home repairs or defects in a home transaction
Myths vs facts of real estate

That being said, I'm of the opinion that 80% of real estate agents are either terrible at their jobs or terrible people and most of the horror stories you hear about them are probably true. The unfortunate thing is that a lot of people get into the business do it because they either think they can make a ton of money doing it or do it effectively part time. For most people, neither of those things are possible.

So, anyways, ask away if you have any questions.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Feel free to decline to answer this question, and this may be an inappropriate thread for it, but as a realtor how do you feel about the current compensation scheme of realtors?

Do you feel a flat percentage based commission is fair for both parties?

What would you change if you could?

I, as a consumer feel the percentage based fee needs to be changed. I'm not sure to what, but I find it a bit ridiculous. I live in San Antonio, where you can get a crappy house in a not good part of town for 60K, or you can get a fancy mansion for a couple million. I'm sure it's similar in Ohio. A realtor could spend 3 months and dozens of hours trying to sell the 60K house only to gross 1800 on the transaction, and probably pocket less than 600 net after the agency split and taxes. On the other hand you could close a million dollar transaction in 2 weeks to a cash buyer and gross 30K, netting close to 10K for maybe 10 or 12 hours of work. Both scenarios seem extreme to me.

I will say I'm negatively biased to the entire housing industry though. Way to many terrible people involved all looking to make a quick buck. My parents have been in residential construction for almost 30 years and I've seen a lot of poo poo. Shady builders, shady mortgage people, shady realtors. The amount of money to be made, combined with the low barrier to entry almost encourages shady poo poo. Please don't take personal offense to these statements, there are some really good people out there, and I'm sure you're one of them, just watching the industry over the last couple of decades has left a sour taste in my mouth.

edit: I also want to say, that I do feel realtors provide a necessary service. I'm not saying get rid of them all, I just don't think the compensation lines up properly. In scenario 1, a realtor is working for peanuts, in scenario 2, a realtor basically lucks into a windfall. Neither scenario lines up for what I feel is a reasonable compensation for a realtor.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 15, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
On the other hand, sometimes those multi-million dollar houses really do cost a lot to market and sell (expensive photo shoots, fancy broker's open houses, etc), but I don't know if those hard to sell expensive properties happen more or less often an easy sale.

On another thought, my mom is trying to sell her house, and she's using a broker where the fee is negotiable (after the sale I guess?) and because of that no other realtors are showing the house because they don't know how much money they're going to get from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Feel free to decline to answer this question, and this may be an inappropriate thread for it, but as a realtor how do you feel about the current compensation scheme of realtors?

Do you feel a flat percentage based commission is fair for both parties?

What would you change if you could?

I, as a consumer feel the percentage based fee needs to be changed. I'm not sure to what, but I find it a bit ridiculous. I live in San Antonio, where you can get a crappy house in a not good part of town for 60K, or you can get a fancy mansion for a couple million. I'm sure it's similar in Ohio. A realtor could spend 3 months and dozens of hours trying to sell the 60K house only to gross 1800 on the transaction, and probably pocket less than 600 net after the agency split and taxes. On the other hand you could close a million dollar transaction in 2 weeks to a cash buyer and gross 30K, netting close to 10K for maybe 10 or 12 hours of work. Both scenarios seem extreme to me.

I will say I'm negatively biased to the entire housing industry though. Way to many terrible people involved all looking to make a quick buck. My parents have been in residential construction for almost 30 years and I've seen a lot of poo poo. Shady builders, shady mortgage people, shady realtors. The amount of money to be made, combined with the low barrier to entry almost encourages shady poo poo. Please don't take personal offense to these statements, there are some really good people out there, and I'm sure you're one of them, just watching the industry over the last couple of decades has left a sour taste in my mouth.

edit: I also want to say, that I do feel realtors provide a necessary service. I'm not saying get rid of them all, I just don't think the compensation lines up properly. In scenario 1, a realtor is working for peanuts, in scenario 2, a realtor basically lucks into a windfall. Neither scenario lines up for what I feel is a reasonable compensation for a realtor.

First off, I don't take offense to anything you said. That is pretty much why I ended my post the way I did. Ask any Realtor about other Realtors and they will be the first to tell you how awful they are. Trust me, whatever your worst experience is with a Realtor, any good Realtor could probably tell you 5 stories worse than that.

That being said, you're absolutely right. The lower priced homes require the most work and provide the least amount of pay. And the large homes pretty much sell themselves. Unfortunately, I can't give you a better system off the top of my head. The rich folks in the big houses usually want the best agents selling their homes (not realizing that often times the home sells itself) and the only way to attract those agents is with money. In the end, I think it all kind of evens out. The ease of selling a more expensive home sort of makes up for working so hard to sell the $50,000 home.

As for your other point, I think the housing market crash really weeded out a ton of shady real estate agents and other real estate professionals. It's a lot harder to EASILY make money than it was 8 years ago or so. A ton of shady builders have either gone bankrupt or are involved in lawsuits that have scared them straight. Condos are really where the builders got themselves in trouble, but that is a huge can of worms.

I want to say something else.....while real estate agents are generally good for home buyers and sellers, many people do not need them. The problem is, the people who don't think they need an agent are often just cheap or cocky and don't do enough homework or have enough knowledge or connections to really justify going without an agent. If you are going to buy or sell without an agent.....call a couple agents anyway and ask for advice. Most of them will pretty much tell you to gently caress off in a nice way, but a good and smart agent will probably give you a ton of free device because they know that the majority of people will not buy or sell a home on their own and they'll want you to refer friends and family to them.