Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Ugh, you got that backwards, the Q-whatever its called now...Q50? Actually looks decent but the older models really show their age fast.

And of course all of the engines sound like stupid loving chewbacca roars so who cares really

A car that sounds like a wookie would be a selling point for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

A car that sounds like a wookie would be a selling point for me.

But you want the "wookie being electrocuted" sound. Nissan V6s are "wookie being asked to take out the garbage in the middle of a football game" sound.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Powershift posted:

But you want the "wookie being electrocuted" sound. Nissan V6s are "wookie being asked to take out the garbage in the middle of a football game" sound.

Shut your whore mouth the vq sounds delightful.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

angryhampster posted:

Shut your whore mouth the vq sounds delightful.

This is delightful.

potatophone video

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I almost bought a G37xS coupe last year, and I'm still considering it although it's the Q60 now.

Styling is a bit dated, sure, but it's the best combination price/performance/luxury in an AWD coupe that I have found :shrug:

TKIY fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 15, 2014

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

MrYenko posted:

This is delightful.

potatophone video
Yes, how dare an unmodified v6 in a commuter car not sound as good as a modified v8 sports car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but yelling "Punch it, Chewie!" right before flooring it would be so much fun.

I mean, more than it already is.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Grater posted:

Yes, how dare an unmodified v6 in a commuter car not sound as good as a modified v8 sports car.

Buzzkill.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I reckon the second gen G35/37 has held up quite well (especially the sedans). The first gen is definitely dated looking but then what very early 2000s design isn't now? (E46 I guess and that's even earlier)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

bull3964 posted:

What I really want to know is who the hell buys Infiniti?

I mean, stylistically they seem like someone took a late 90s bubbly profile and then stung it with a bee so it got all puffy and droopy.

Someone needs to hit those vehicles with an epi-pen.

I love the way these look and would have one with either engine in a heartbeat as long as it has the 'S' package:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VERTiG0 posted:

I love the way these look and would have one with either engine in a heartbeat as long as it has the 'S' package:

You're gonna feel like an rear end in a top hat once you get glasses.

If i've ruined it for you, you're welcome.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Is that David Mitchell?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

VERTiG0 posted:

Ehhh...but no 6 speed manual available.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

dissss posted:

I reckon the second gen G35/37 has held up quite well (especially the sedans). The first gen is definitely dated looking but then what very early 2000s design isn't now? (E46 I guess and that's even earlier)
Nope. G35c may be slightly dated but its still beautiful. There were 2 on my block, a blacked out one and a beautiful blue. Both just gorgeous cars. Now gone. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Nope. G35c may be slightly dated but its still beautiful. There were 2 on my block, a blacked out one and a beautiful blue. Both just gorgeous cars. Now gone. :(

They're probably out there somewhere stuck on a speed bump with one of the super stretched tires blown off the rim. :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Powershift posted:

They're probably out there somewhere stuck on a speed bump with one of the super stretched tires blown off the rim. :(
I think one got hit and the other moved. But its been a while. Either way, I miss them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

That is one bulbous car and I cannot stand their grille. I'm happy for them there are people out there who will tolerate it to keep them in business until they decide to change their design language.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Here's what a modified VQ can sound like to be fair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU2h0JTq2fk

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Powershift posted:

uuuuuuugheuuuuuueahahgggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gently caress

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Grater posted:

It's a 35k commuter car though and for coupes its competing with the new Mustang in that range.

Powershift posted:

Fuckin' lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

VERTiG0 posted:

I think it looks like it ate way too much for dinner and is trying to stifle a slow burp.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

BraveUlysses posted:

Ehhh...but no 6 speed manual available.

Not in the M37, but you can get it in the G37S sedan. Super rare though and about a 6k price premium - been wanting one for a while.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Powershift posted:

Those look nothing alike?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Well they both have Hoffmeister kinks, and

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They have the same goofy proportions, like they should have been a wagon and at the last second the designer said "gently caress it, we're putting a trunk on it" Close one eye and cover up everything behind the C-pillar with your thumb. Your brain fills out the car as a wagon. This really doesn't happen with a properly proportioned sedan.

The hood stays far too high for far too long to attempt to look "muscular"(in the Q70, in the versa it's because of where the engine sits) The roofline is too high where it meets the back window, but it still atttempts to re-connect with the shoulderline of the car early enough to leave the car with a trunk, all while attempting to maintain the standard sedan rear window rake. The lower window line slopes up throughout the entire car making it look fatter than it really is, and they have extremely similar window lines overall. If there was another 6 inches of front fender between the back of the front wheel well and the front of the front door on the versa, their silhouette would look almost identical. Stretch the body line of the versa up over the wheel well 6 inches on top of that and they're nearly identical full color.

There are a ton of visually offensive mistakes nearly unique to those 2 cars, if you can't see the similarities, Then i've got a subaru to sell ya

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 16, 2014

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

That Kia will never stop being funny. Really want to buy one at some point.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's truly amazing what Kia has done in the last 10 years. That Rio was sold in 2004. 2004!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Powershift posted:

They have the same goofy proportions, like they should have been a wagon and at the last second the designer said "gently caress it, we're putting a trunk on it" Close one eye and cover up everything behind the C-pillar with your thumb. Your brain fills out the car as a wagon. This really doesn't happen with a properly proportioned sedan.

The hood stays far too high for far too long to attempt to look "muscular"(in the Q70, in the versa it's because of where the engine sits) The roofline is too high where it meets the back window, but it still atttempts to re-connect with the shoulderline of the car early enough to leave the car with a trunk, all while attempting to maintain the standard sedan rear window rake. The lower window line slopes up throughout the entire car making it look fatter than it really is, and they have extremely similar window lines overall. If there was another 6 inches of front fender between the back of the front wheel well and the front of the front door on the versa, their silhouette would look almost identical. Stretch the body line of the versa up over the wheel well 6 inches on top of that and they're nearly identical full color.

These complaints are true of practically every car on the market, have been repeatedly described in this thread, the tall hood is due to pedestrian safety standards and fucks up the entire greenhouse, the general shape is dictated by Cd reductions in windtunnel to squeeze into CAFE limits. Then you've got crash safety concerns defining the crumple zones, door height etc. I'm going to assume you don't want to give up any of these arguably positive advances just to have a more interesting looking appliance sedan.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

These complaints are true of practically every car on the market, have been repeatedly described in this thread, the tall hood is due to pedestrian safety standards and fucks up the entire greenhouse, the general shape is dictated by Cd reductions in windtunnel to squeeze into CAFE limits. Then you've got crash safety concerns defining the crumple zones, door height etc. I'm going to assume you don't want to give up any of these arguably positive advances just to have a more interesting looking appliance sedan.

I agree that it's particuarly ugly, though. Practically every car on the market has the same restrictions and still manages to not look like crap. Also, that greenhouse is most likely to preserve rear headroom, not to reduce Cd. Crumple zones don't matter a whole lot in terms of styling or exterior design either.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Now I just want a Maxima wagon, though?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Where does my ABS-less, Power windows-less, TCS-less, Stick shift automobile fit into this dystopian future of yours?

Good luck buying that car today.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Tricky Ed posted:

Now I just want a Maxima wagon, though?

That's called the current Pathfinder.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

Then cars like the F10 5-series and mercedes e-class must be dangerous as hell, bucause they put out cars in the same class in the same safety-minded environment that don't look stubby and bloated.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Good luck buying that car today.

Indeed. Power window motors are now smaller and lighter than manual winders (even Lotus moved to electric windows in the Elise a long time ago), and ABS and TCS are mandated by law (along with tire pressure sensors, stability control, and rear view cameras (in 2018)).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It's a beautiful day when we're arguing about cars looks because of course there's an objectively good looking car, and a similarly objectively bad looking car.

The F10 (and the F30) is loving hideous, hth!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, gently caress a consistent styling language. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, gently caress a consistent styling language. :v:

Agreed. I don't want my $60,000 car resembling your $11,000 shitbox.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

The hood only had to be moved by 10 mm from the top of the tallest part of the engine for pedestrians. That little of height movement doesn't account for you're trying to make it account for.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

The fact that you referred to a $50,000+ competitor to the 5 series as an appliance should be on the final word on the debate about Infiniti's standing these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

AdmiralViscen posted:

The fact that you referred to a $50,000+ competitor to the 5 series as an appliance should be on the final word on the debate about Infiniti's standing these days.

Well, that's what any non-'special' BMW or Mercedes is now: a luxury appliance. Think of a $3,000 fridge or something.