Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The cord-cutting/OTT audience fragmentation has forced HBO's hand:

http://deadline.com/2014/10/richard-plepler-time-warner-investor-day-hbo-ceo-presentation-851815/

quote:

HBO To Launch Stand-Alone Online Service, Without Cable, In 2015

In 2015 will launch stand-alone over the top HBO Go service in the U.S. There are 80M homes that do not have HBO and “we will use all measures to go after them.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...that sounds kind of menacing.

Also reminder that people in this forum literally believe that this show

Is the superior zombie show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah that gif is one reason it is vastly superior.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

GreenNight posted:

Lots of Stargate vets are making a new show for Syfy:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-stargate-producers-take-graphic-740985

Interview with the creater (and ex exec Stargate producer) of the comic that the show is based on:

http://www.newsarama.com/8745-stargate-writers-explore-dark-matter-in-new-comic.html

Sounds like a stealth Stargate Universe sequel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Spoilers for Gone Girl ahead:

This is TV IV, you know.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Well this is stellar news. I'm super pleased to hear this as the only thing I've really missed after cutting the cord has been hbo. The price model will be interesting. I'm guessing the other premium networks will follow suit if/when it's a success.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Aphrodite posted:

This is TV IV, you know.

Oh no! Our moving picture segregation has been breached!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh no! Our moving picture segregation has been breached!

I think it's more like he posted a huge wall of untagged spoilers bud

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Teek posted:

Sounds like a stealth Stargate Universe sequel.

Yeah that's what I thought. I'm excited for there are not alot (if any) ship based scifi shows anymore.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why would you not just spoiler tag that? I've seen the movie (it rules) and I agree with a lot of that reading but still.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

I've never seen it, but are you using that gif to say it isn't worth watching?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Comparing TWD to Z Nation makes about as much sense as comparing the Police Academy movies to Die Hard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not the one doing the comparing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Didn't say you were, it's just a ridiculous comparison to make.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

raditts posted:

I've never seen it, but are you using that gif to say it isn't worth watching?

Come on in!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I think it's more like he posted a huge wall of untagged spoilers bud

MrAristocrates posted:

Why would you not just spoiler tag that? I've seen the movie (it rules) and I agree with a lot of that reading but still.

poo poo, my bad, I usually write a post and then go back and add spoiler tags as needed but I completely forgot to this time. I black boxed the whole thing, hopefully no one got Gone Girl spoiled for them.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 15, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

poo poo, my bad, I usually write a post and then go back and add spoiler tags as needed but I completely forgot to this time. I black boxed the whole thing, hopefully no one got Gone Girl spoiled for them.

You totally ruined that movie I was never going to watch anyway, ya jerk.

Spoilers:
Action/Adventure Flick: The heroes save the world.
Romantic Comedy: The schlubby girl gets the handsome brit/vampire.
Lifetime Drama: The woman bravely bears the grief of her husband's illness/infidelity/abuse.
Wes Anderson "Comedy": Everything is quirky, but sad.
Judd Apatow "Comedy": Everything is raunchy, but sad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Wes Anderson "Comedy": Everything is quirky, but sad.
Judd Apatow "Comedy": Everything is raunchy, but sad.

Unironically agree with Irish Joe.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Unironically agree with Irish Joe.

Well yeah, that's kind of stating the obvious there, but I don't see what that has to do with a giant wall of text discussing plot points of a movie in the TV forum.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Well yeah, that's kind of stating the obvious there, but I don't see what that has to do with a giant wall of text discussing plot points of a movie in the TV forum.

It's a dick move I guess, but I already spoiled myself and generally don't care all that much about spoilers anyway.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Gillian Flynn's doing the Utopia remake? I thought it was the next season of True Detective she was doing, but I musta just got it mixed up. Anyway, them hiring a name writer like that is a good sign that it'll be a lot different than the British one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

zoux posted:

What's this show?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In a fit of insomnia I watched the four episodes of Gotham last night. It's... kind of stupid as hell, but the Penguin is hilarious/awesome. The entire idea of having Bruce Wayne even be in the show as a 12 year old is pants-on-head though. Especially when you have a scene like the police commissioner asking the 12 year old boy's permission to go back to work.

Seriously the only way having him in the show at all would pay off is if the show somehow lasts four or five years until he's old enough to fight crime past 9 PM and good luck with that, FOX.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

What's this show?

Z-Nation, see topic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kurtofan posted:

What's this show?

The TV IV › TV IV Couch Chat: Where people claim Z Nation is a good show.

(Their claims are wholly without merit)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I watched the pilot episode of that and, frankly, if you think it's anything other than a bleeding haemorrhoid your opinion is objectively wrong.

It is just an execrable SyFy mega-extinct-chimera film but in series form and about zombies. If you like it you probably have brain damage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Walking Dead was really good so that argument doesn't work as well anymore but that GIF is awesome.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
TWD has gotten better after SOPHIAAAAA and the farm?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Yes, this last episode was pretty great.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Kurtofan posted:

Nope

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kurtofan posted:

Yup

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kurtofan posted:

Season 3 was almost as bad as 2, but the second half of season 4 and the season 5 premiere were really good.

If you just skip season 3 I honestly don't think you'd be missing much that you won't get caught up on immediately. Spoiler alert: Daryl still shoots a crossbow and doesn't talk much!

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

precision posted:

Season 3 was almost as bad as 2, but the second half of season 4 and the season 5 premiere were really good.

If you just skip season 3 I honestly don't think you'd be missing much that you won't get caught up on immediately. Spoiler alert: Daryl still shoots a crossbow and doesn't talk much!

Is Daryl gay now so I can make gif sets of him and his unnamed partner to be?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I quit after the season at the prison, is there still a strict one black guy limit?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I quit after the season at the prison, is there still a strict one black guy limit?

There is currently two black guy and two black females.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One time they were all in the same car, got mobbed by zombies, and nobody died.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

Its too soon to say. The back half of 4 was pretty good and the premiere was great, but TWD's season premieres are always good. Its the six episodes of farting around after the premiere that make for sucky seasons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

There is currently two black guy and two black females.

And a Hispanic lesbian! And a goon who talks about video games and has a mullet! And Duke Nukem! I call them "the B-Team".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't try to get in touch with CW execs today, they are too busy creaming themselves after Flash tied SHIELD in the demo last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Doesn't The 100 start next week? Another show that is pretty decent.

• Locked thread