Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah CW's got some Legit Good Shows now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Yeah CW's got some Legit Good Shows now.

The TV IV › TV IV Couch Chat: CW's got some Legit Good Shows now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thank God that Marry Me was good (didn't the dude who gets to see all the pilots back in May say he didn't think much of it? Maybe just a taste thing, but I'm so glad it worked out. Agree with the consensus that Mulaney is an awesomely talented dude but Mulaney the show is just... I'll look forward to reading about him talking about what happened in the future).

I'm gonna watch that CW show 'Jane the Virgin' too, but has there been any new comedies that haven't sucked balls? Last years was great in comparison even if there was some utter dreck. Trophy Wife (RIP), Goldbergs, Brooklyn 99 and Mindy Project did a turnaround and became really good too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fingers crossed iZombie is added to that list when it hits.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mulaney is a funny guy but that show is fascinatingly bad, not to mention the "this is literally Seinfeld" angle.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

precision posted:

Mulaney is a funny guy but that show is fascinatingly bad, not to mention the "this is literally Seinfeld" angle.
So the cast still mug it up on camera I'm guessing? How is that funny at all?

The only good new multi-cam so far is Cristela.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thank God that Marry Me was good (didn't the dude who gets to see all the pilots back in May say he didn't think much of it? Maybe just a taste thing, but I'm so glad it worked out. Agree with the consensus that Mulaney is an awesomely talented dude but Mulaney the show is just... I'll look forward to reading about him talking about what happened in the future).

I'm gonna watch that CW show 'Jane the Virgin' too, but has there been any new comedies that haven't sucked balls? Last years was great in comparison even if there was some utter dreck. Trophy Wife (RIP), Goldbergs, Brooklyn 99 and Mindy Project did a turnaround and became really good too.

Black-ish is great.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Person of Interest is coming to Netflix, I'll probably start getting annoying about it again because you no longer have barriers into the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well except a really bad actor as lead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

I've been trying to work out where it goes wrong, but I think it's simply down to the fact that 2014 isn't the right time for a love letter to Seinfeld. I think in 10 years time, multi cam will have hopefully died out (there have been zero *quality* MC shows in maybe 10 years now? The format is dead, even if there's a few successful shows still using it. It's sad but lets move on) and then you can make your meta format show aping a meta show about nothing. But now it's just too easy to lump it in with every forgotten show since Seinfeld ran, rather than seeing it as a smart show. Which sadly it isn't either, somehow. Didn't it get changed a fair chunk between moving networks after it wasn't picked up originally? I can see that. This doesn't feel like a show Mulaney should have his name attached to. He's definitely better than it. I mean, Seinfeld wasn't hot for a while but that's not going to happen here, it's just going to be cancelled.

Oh and to the people who criticised his acting, his interview with PFT he stated "I've only ever been cast for 2 things ever - my show and my best friends show". He's better at playing characters than straight guys to be honest, even if he in theory should be a great straight guy.

I hope he learns and comes back with something better, on cable. He feels like a dude who should be on cable, not forced under the networks hand all the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Person of Interest is coming to Netflix, I'll probably start getting annoying about it again because you no longer have barriers into the show.

Thank god I can stop nervously eyeing the $50 per season pricetag on iTunes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deadpool posted:

:vince:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Walked right into it too. Well done.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DivisionPost posted:

Okay I'll give it a shot now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Deadpool posted:

Black-ish is great.

My bad, Black-ish is really, really good. I can't believe I forgot about it. It's fascinating to watch because you have to inherently compare it to Cosby, then Fresh Prince because you only really have one mainstream, black family sitcom running at any one time. It's a perfect way to contrast and compare as to how TV has changed across 4 decades. And it's funny too!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Deadpool posted:

Who has been reduced to just a member of a greater ensemble crew.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zaggitz posted:

Who has been reduced to just a member of a greater ensemble crew.

I knew that post would act as a Zaggitz-Signal shining bright over TVIV City.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I preach only the truth, brother.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Zaggitz posted:

I preach only the truth, brother.

It's true, and Zaggitz also knew the exact right way to get me interested in his tv show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's fascinating to watch because you have to inherently compare it to Cosby, then Fresh Prince because you only really have one mainstream, black family sitcom running at any one time.

Unless you didn't completely ignore decades of UPN and early CW programming. In which case, Black-ish is just unfunny and pandering.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Caveziel is definitely not lead actor anymore, if he ever was. POI is great, watch it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

Unless you didn't completely ignore decades of UPN and early CW programming. In which case, Black-ish is just unfunny and pandering.

Not so much ignoring, just the fact that Cosby and Fresh Prince were both really big shows over here too. I don't think that Black-ish will reach those heights, but I've not seen a comparable show on ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC in the last 10 years ago. The internet not being the high speed awesomeness that it is now back then, I'm not sure what shows you're actually referring to as it wasn't so easy to know what was going on across the Atlantic then. I get the feeling most ended up here were the ones on our cable channels (like Trouble), not our network ones and not as big stateside either based on modern CW ratings anyway. Genuinely don't know, my TV history is patchy I can only really go by what I know was on my TV back then.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not so much ignoring, just the fact that Cosby and Fresh Prince were both really big shows over here too. I don't think that Black-ish will reach those heights, but I've not seen a comparable show on ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC in the last 10 years ago.

Sorry, forgot you were living on the wrong side of the pond. UPN and CW produced literally dozens of black-focused sitcoms and dramas over the years. Moesha, Girlfriends and Everybody Hates Chris (with Terry Crews) are probably the most well-known of them. Most of them were downright awful, but here's the thing, unlike Black-ish, they were written for black audiences. So where Black-ish has a lot of 'white people drive like this; black people drive like this' jokes, they mainly focused on telling stories and jokes their target audience would appreciate. That's why Black-ish feels like such a throwback to me, because I thought black-centered comedies had moved past shamelessly pandering to white middle class Americans.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Deadpool posted:

Nope

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NBC has cancelled the Krysten Ritter sitcom "Mission Control" without airing any episodes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drat. Was looking forward to that one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

NBC has cancelled the Krysten Ritter sitcom "Mission Control" without airing any episodes.

Why does that happen?

Also poor Krysten Ritter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sounds like there were problems behind the scenes. Like the article mentioned some problems with Michael Rosenbaum, who was supposed to be the male lead.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

zoux posted:

Why does that happen?

Behind the scenes drama, financial issues, pending litigation, dissatisfaction with the resultant product, an NBC exec was having a bad day

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

xeria posted:

It's true, and Zaggitz also knew the exact right way to get me interested in his tv show.

Told you about the best character huh?

:woof:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Never heard of it and don't care about Ritter but apparently it had BOTH PHIL AND LEM .

This is a tragedy.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

IRQ posted:

Told you about the best character huh?

:woof:

I am auto-sold on any tv show with an awesome dog. :colbert:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Don't try to get in touch with CW execs today, they are too busy creaming themselves after Flash tied SHIELD in the demo last night.

I guess this is why they have decided to make the brilliant movie of producing a Flash movie with totally different actors.

EL BROMANCE posted:

My bad, Black-ish is really, really good. I can't believe I forgot about it. It's fascinating to watch because you have to inherently compare it to Cosby, then Fresh Prince because you only really have one mainstream, black family sitcom running at any one time. It's a perfect way to contrast and compare as to how TV has changed across 4 decades. And it's funny too!

You forgot the token black network sitcom of the 2000s, My Wife and Kids.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 15, 2014

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

Sorry, forgot you were living on the wrong side of the pond. UPN and CW produced literally dozens of black-focused sitcoms and dramas over the years. Moesha, Girlfriends and Everybody Hates Chris (with Terry Crews) are probably the most well-known of them.

How dare you leave out such classics as Homeboys in Outer Space and The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeiffer. :colbert:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

raditts posted:

I guess this is why they have decided to make the brilliant movie of producing a Flash movie with totally different actors.

It is a brilliant move, keeping their CW shows far the gently caress away from that trainwreck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I don't know if DC will keep their stated "no jokes in the movies" policy through 2020 but I'm fine with a separate TV continuity that preserves Flash's lighthearted tone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Can't wait for a gritty Flash movie, that's what we all needed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When I read about DC's years-long plans to do "the Marvel thing", including actual loving Aquaman film and of all things Shazam, I can't help but picture a few years from now and a bunch of projects getting dumped direct-to-video and being awful.

It's like they're assuming that they can just translate the Batman (and Man of Steel, I guess) success onto any property without the understanding that Marvel did which was "let's make sure we hire good writers and directors first".

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

precision posted:

It's like they're assuming that they can just translate the Batman (and Man of Steel, I guess) success onto any property without the understanding that Marvel did which was "let's make sure we hire good writers and directors first".

You're really overselling the quality of Marvel movies. Yeah, they're fun popcorn movies, but when I think "well-written," I don't think Thor 2, Iron Man 2 or GotG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
lol at the idea that Marvel films have good writing. They have "adequate" writing. At best.

• Locked thread