Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think this is the first time I see anyone refer to fishing as a "1 on 1 showdown between me and the fish". Never change, Kazuma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

CHiRAL posted:

According to Eat You Kimchi (about 6 minutes in) this happens a lot in Korea to the point where men are hired to grab attractive girls by their wrists and drag them into clubs. Pretty messed up.

Wow yeah, being literally dragged into a place has never happened to me. (Incidentally I just got back from a trip to Korea! They have Taco Bell there!!) But in Japan, you can get swarmed like seagulls fighting over French fries sometimes. It's gotten rare though, or maybe I just don't realize it cause I'm not hanging out there as much as I used to. :downs:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Wow yeah, being literally dragged into a place has never happened to me. (Incidentally I just got back from a trip to Korea! They have Taco Bell there!!) But in Japan, you can get swarmed like seagulls fighting over French fries sometimes. It's gotten rare though, or maybe I just don't realize it cause I'm not hanging out there as much as I used to. :downs:

Well, I don't know what your nationality is but the video also mentioned they won't bother foreigners or Korean looking girls that speak English fluently because they know foreign girls would kick their asses for this poo poo

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Never in the US but yeah they'll try and pull you into shops in Roppongi and Harajuku. Not as bad as it used to be but it still happens.

:stonk: Being a girl is hard.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think this is the first time I see anyone refer to fishing as a "1 on 1 showdown between me and the fish". Never change, Kazuma.

I don't know if it's chronologically the first reference, and I rather doubt it, but it's something of a common phrase among hot-blooded anime fishermen (including temporary ones). There's a lot of them, surprisingly.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Girls: have you ever just been standing around when someone tries to drag you into their shop? Is this a thing? I've seen some hard sells in my life, but this is borderline illegal.

Speaking from a US experience, nothing as bad as that, but sometimes there are very aggressive salespeople in the middle of walkways in the malls. I've had a guy who, when our eyes met, he grabbed my hand and proceeded to insult my nails in an attempt to sell me an electric nail buffer.

The way I've learned to deal with it is, when I have a friend with me, we'll start talking to each other when a salesperson approaches us. When I'm alone, I ignore them and put on my best Bitchface. I've also had to teach other female friends not only how to successfully ignore these kinds of salespeople, but why not to believe the self-esteem eroding spiel they use. :sigh:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Raitzeno posted:

I don't know if it's chronologically the first reference, and I rather doubt it, but it's something of a common phrase among hot-blooded anime fishermen (including temporary ones). There's a lot of them, surprisingly.

Dylas from Rune Factory 4 says something along those lines, so yes not that rare.

On the topic of Pushy Salesmen: In the US - most sales people won't touch you as that's technically assault in some jurisdictions, but they will get in your face, block your way and keep talking in a way that's hard to find a good opening to say 'Sorry, gotta go'. I had one guy selling some kind of dead sea salt stuff borderline sexually harassing me in some misguided idea that if he kept flirting hard enough that I would drop money I don't have on the product.

It's worse in other countries.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I don't think that sort of stuff is unbelievable for anyone. Getting accosted into shops also happened to me a lot in Kyoto when I was there about half a decade ago. But to be fair, I'm a nearly two-meter tall white dude in Japan at this point, so yeah.

I've never had it happen in the USA outside of a couple mega sleazebag places in college. And that got handled by a simple 'dude, gently caress off'.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I love Rune Factory 4. :3:

Interestingly enough, in the DS version of the game, the accessory from Kazuma is wearable. I didn't realize that wasn't the same in the PS2 version.

The bomb system in Girl's Side one is pretty crazy sometimes. I've heard 2 improves it. I am curious, though - you've only dated Shiki once and have ignored him since, so why isn't he bombing you yet? Do some of the guys bomb more than others? Is it an affection based deal? Mind you, I think Kei probably hates you by this point and is still bombing, so maybe not.

There is one good thing about the bomb system, though: If you let it go past the first warning, just like the other TM games, you'll get a scene where you run into the bomber and he runs away without speaking. I think the majority of the angry faces they make are absolutely hilarious.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Cheese Pain posted:

Interestingly enough, in the DS version of the game, the accessory from Kazuma is wearable. I didn't realize that wasn't the same in the PS2 version.

I am curious, though - you've only dated Shiki once and have ignored him since, so why isn't he bombing you yet? Do some of the guys bomb more than others? Is it an affection based deal? Mind you, I think Kei probably hates you by this point and is still bombing, so maybe not.

There's a separate Kazuma present that comes later and is wearable. Amusingly, the game labels it very clearly as "A present from Kazuma" with no other description.

Thanks to Mizuki, Shiki's had a lot of pseudo-events that keep him from building up a bomb. All the double dates and such add up.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

vibratingsheep posted:

7/12: Test results

7th: Arisawa Shiho
86th: Hazuki Kei
94th: Mihara Shiki
137th: Konno Tamami
147th: Sudou Mizuki
180th: Fudou Kimiko
245th: Suzuka Kazuma

Sadly, Kei falling asleep during a test overrides any other event discussing grades, so all we get after this is the usual "What happened?" "Slept." bit of scintillating dialogue.
Wait, so the 'Kei falling asleep' event doesn't happen sometimes? How do you keep it from happening?

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, so the 'Kei falling asleep' event doesn't happen sometimes? How do you keep it from happening?

I think it's a bit random? I only remember getting it like once.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

^ Yeah, I think it's probably random.

vibratingsheep posted:

There's a separate Kazuma present that comes later and is wearable. Amusingly, the game labels it very clearly as "A present from Kazuma" with no other description.

Thanks to Mizuki, Shiki's had a lot of pseudo-events that keep him from building up a bomb. All the double dates and such add up.

Oh, sorry! I mentioned it because the wearable accessory in DS is the wrist band itself.

That Mizuki of ours. She's our best buddy and saves us from a potential psycho artist bomber. :allears: Her theme music is also the cutest.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cheese Pain posted:

I love Rune Factory 4. :3:

I am currently playing Rune Factory 4! My sister and I are having to have timed switch-offs on the 3DS. It's like when we were kids.

TMGS3 is really good in regards to bombs because only guys you have been on a date with will bomb you.

Though I do kind of enjoy bomb management in TMGS1 and TMGS2 to some degree; it's a chance to try all of the terrible date responses, since a bad date will still reset the bomb timer.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Catalina posted:

TMGS3 is really good in regards to bombs because only guys you have been on a date with will bomb you.
That almost seems too friendly. Are there enough other objectives that you don't run out of things to do?

I guess having bombs at all is an artifact from when they still cared about being gamey gamer games, but that's what I like about Tokimeki Memorial. Its systems are what make it interesting to me. The dreamy boys are just window dressing.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Catalina posted:

I am currently playing Rune Factory 4! My sister and I are having to have timed switch-offs on the 3DS. It's like when we were kids.

Though I do kind of enjoy bomb management in TMGS1 and TMGS2 to some degree; it's a chance to try all of the terrible date responses, since a bad date will still reset the bomb timer.

I played that game for so many months. I can never go back to Harvest Moon, not even the obvious Minecraft clone coming out shortly. I'm forever holding out hope for #5.

I haven't played GS3 yet, however, I heard the bomb system isn't as bad in 2. I think it's about the same as 1, really, but I don't mind. Since just phoning the guy clears the bomb, it's not hard to keep up.

For some reason, I find the bomb system in the Girl's Side games pretty funny. You'd expect some teenage girls to sit there and go, "drat it, he hasn't called me, I hate him so much! ...I just want him to like me! " but I get a kick out of imagining the male characters doing exactly the same thing. Sitting alone in a dark room, fuming, "Goonko makes me so mad! Please love me, Goonko! I hate you! If only you'd call me." :laugh:

My favorite part about GS 2 so far is actually the love rival system. Apparently, you can avoid meeting your rival entirely in some cases. That happened to me and it was awesome.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

Cheese Pain posted:

For some reason, I find the bomb system in the Girl's Side games pretty funny. You'd expect some teenage girls to sit there and go, "drat it, he hasn't called me, I hate him so much! ...I just want him to like me! " but I get a kick out of imagining the male characters doing exactly the same thing. Sitting alone in a dark room, fuming, "Goonko makes me so mad! Please love me, Goonko! I hate you! If only you'd call me." :laugh:
Maybe the idea is that you get a reputation as cold or hard-to-get, so the other boys don't wanna bother trying to date you? (I'm putting more thought into this than GS did for sure)

Naw, the super weird part about this is some of the dateable guys are a year older than you, so they graduate after your second year. They can still bomb you. As adults, in the real world with jobs and poo poo, they can hurt your popularity with highschool boys. Why. Why would an adult man gossip that a highschool girl isn't calling him enough. What. But on the upside, the majority of guys who don't make sense as bombers are teachers and secret characters, none of whom can bomb you.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

Maybe the idea is that you get a reputation as cold or hard-to-get, so the other boys don't wanna bother trying to date you? (I'm putting more thought into this than GS did for sure)

Naw, the super weird part about this is some of the dateable guys are a year older than you, so they graduate after your second year. They can still bomb you. As adults, in the real world with jobs and poo poo, they can hurt your popularity with highschool boys. Why. Why would an adult man gossip that a highschool girl isn't calling him enough. What. But on the upside, the majority of guys who don't make sense as bombers are teachers and secret characters, none of whom can bomb you.

I regards to the spoilered text, I'd argue that it's not that weird that an 18-19 year old might still have some friends or siblings that are still in high school that they keep in touch with. They are dating a girl that's still in high school after all. Also, I wouldn't say that most people that are less than a year out of high school are exactly fully responsible and mature adults.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The entire bombing mechanic makes somewhat less sense as a whole on the guys just because the societal expectations are different. Dudes have to say 'bros before hos' so often because if they didn't nobody would ever behave like that. :v:

The reality of the situation is that, in high school, there is practically nothing a dude can say to make everyone hate a girl. He can rant and bitch all he wants, on some level his buddies are gonna be thinking 'so what you're saying is, she is available now'.

It is not a completely inappropriate mechanic, of course, but it fits somewhat awkwardly into how dudes work things out in high school so it is inevitable that it will seem a little weird.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Coolguye posted:

The reality of the situation is that, in high school, there is practically nothing a dude can say to make everyone hate a girl.

(disclaimer - i have never been a high school dude)

Hard-hitting american drama television specials tell me that there is at least one thing a dude can say to make everyone hate a girl, but it wouldn't be the right tone for a Tokimeki game. Also, I've never entirely understood the logic of "a girl won't go out with me, so I'll tell everyone that we totally did it and she's a huge slut with crabs, THAT'LL make her like me!" :shrug:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
This is Japan we're talking about, there's probably something anyone can say to make people want to hang out with you less.

Also I find the boys in GS1 uninteresting so I tried out GS2 and all I can say is I can't wait for the LP to get there :allears:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

gegi posted:

Also, I've never entirely understood the logic of "a girl won't go out with me, so I'll tell everyone that we totally did it and she's a huge slut with crabs, THAT'LL make her like me!" :shrug:

Disclaimer: I went to an all-boys high school.

As far as I can tell, that mentality comes from classic cognitive dissonance.

"I think I'm awesome. She rejected me. How can that possibly be true? She MUST be an awful person to think that. And once everyone else thinks that about her, that means I am right and am awesome. This totally makes sense in my head."

Being a girl is hard. :(

CHiRAL posted:

Also I find the boys in GS1 uninteresting so I tried out GS2 and all I can say is I can't wait for the LP to get there :allears:

Yeah, this was part of the reasoning behind delaying the voting portion of the Girl's Side games until GS2.

e:

Cheese Pain posted:

GS2 is way more fun, I definitely agree. I'm interested to see who Goonko II falls for in that!

Oh crap, I need to figure out another Goon name for a girl.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 16, 2014

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

CHiRAL posted:

GS2 is way more fun, I definitely agree. I'm interested to see who Goonko II falls for in that!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

gegi posted:

(disclaimer - i have never been a high school dude) Also, I've never entirely understood the logic of "a girl won't go out with me, so I'll tell everyone that we totally did it and she's a huge slut with crabs, THAT'LL make her like me!" :shrug:

vibratingsheep posted:

Disclaimer: I went to an all-boys high school.

As far as I can tell, that mentality comes from classic cognitive dissonance.

"I think I'm awesome. She rejected me. How can that possibly be true? She MUST be an awful person to think that. And once everyone else thinks that about her, that means I am right and am awesome. This totally makes sense in my head."
Ish? I dunno I ended up dealing with a lot of lingering high school bullshit because I happened to go to school in the same town that I later got amazing job offers from, and the big thing that a lot of people do is overthink this stuff. Like it or not we were all reacting on instinct at that age, no matter how smart you think you were. Instinct was all we had because we knew gently caress-all about the real world really. What that sort of bullshit comes from is pure social scorched earth. You hurt me, so now I'm gonna do all I can to hurt you. Nobody wins in these situations because even for the dude, either people believe you and then you get sidled with being the guy who's so busted that he attracted THAT, or they don't and you're the butthurt idiot who can't take getting dumped. No advantage to it at all. Which is why adults do it way more rarely than high schoolers. By the time you're 20-something you get that pulling that poo poo just makes you look like a turd.

That's not to say break-up chats don't happen still, they just never get that nasty or public. I'm pretty sure the strict majority of breakups can be traced directly to a dude hanging out with a buddy or three and saying the local equivalent of 'chicks be crazy'. Then the buddies reply 'chicks be crazy' and the healing can begin. :v:

The primary difference on how guys operate in high school situations is that the most common 'pecking order' is determined by who can be the biggest showoff without looking like a showoff. Guys are prone to doing things just because it makes them look cool. Or, because it will make them seem better by comparison to someone else. In reality, someone dropping a scorched earth tactic like that will probably prompt someone to pay MORE attention to the girl, not less, if for no other reason than proving the scorcher wrong and therefore seeming twice as cool in comparison. First because he proved some douche wrong, second because hey, he got the girl too. The crazy thing is that they needn't even dislike each other for this to happen, it just gets rolled into the 'y'all watch this' habit that dudes have been doing for thousands of years.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 17, 2014

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

Guniko.
:effort:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

...Jun?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

vibratingsheep posted:

Sengoonku.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Close enough to Kuniko, we could cheat and flub it. :v: I like it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Migooni

Beatiful Goon Clothes... so I guess Three Wolf Moon shirts?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

The real question is if I should stick to "Goon" for the girls or if I should start coming up with more and more outlandish names as the premise gets sillier. GS has a very standard princess fantasy as its framing device, but GS2 turns you into a mermaid.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

how about a completely fake name, like Teiko Mitsugi? Through an extreme stretch of the imagination and probably breaking a bunch of rules about Japanese names, you can read 低子 税 as "Low Taxes"

God, Japanese names are hard.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

vibratingsheep posted:

GS has a very standard princess fantasy as its framing device, but GS2 turns you into a mermaid.
A mermaid, you say.

How about Goonriel?

FractalSandwich posted:

That almost seems too friendly.
GS3, in my experience, practically wants you to meet every date-able guy. I think almost all of them have events that happen in the second year at low affection. And no matter what, you will meet half the guys in every playthrough. But it does kind of kill the fun in trying not to meet someone.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

vibratingsheep posted:

The real question is if I should stick to "Goon" for the girls or if I should start coming up with more and more outlandish names as the premise gets sillier. GS has a very standard princess fantasy as its framing device, but GS2 turns you into a mermaid.

Do both :haw:

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Chromius posted:

GS3, in my experience, practically wants you to meet every date-able guy. I think almost all of them have events that happen in the second year at low affection. And no matter what, you will meet half the guys in every playthrough. But it does kind of kill the fun in trying not to meet someone.

But that has to do with game mechanics, since all the date options are paired in GS3. It's also arguably possible to meet half the guys in every playthrough since "Childhood Friend" and "Senpai, Please Notice Me" are forced meetings, and raising stats for them attracts the others.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Too late to stop being Goon. You must stick to Goon forever.

Feel free to make insane words with Goon in them though. Give her the Gooniest of (nick)names.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Do people seriously not care you have a sword strapped on your back? :psyduck:

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

BlitzBlast posted:

Do people seriously not care you have a sword strapped on your back? :psyduck:

It`s Japan man, they see crazier poo poo everyday:japan:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I feel a little bad about defending the fan translation now...
It's not bad-bad but they're hitting one of my biggest pet peeves - translating certain common phrases in a literal way (Ex: An explanation starting with "ii desu ka?" as "is it ok?") :sigh:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

CHiRAL posted:

It's not bad-bad but they're hitting one of my biggest pet peeves - translating certain common phrases in a literal way (Ex: An explanation starting with "ii desu ka?" as "is it ok?") :sigh:

Yeah. It's really not translation that takes a lot of time, it's editing and localization. Puns are the bane of my existence on at least three different levels.

I'm going to stream tonight, but given that it's a tie game in the 9th inning right now with Kolten Wong at the plate, I'm terrified beyond the capability for rational thought.

e: holy crap holy crap holy crap

ee: ISHI ISHI KAWA DA DA

stream starting now I might be getting drunk http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
How about Laguna?

Happy Blue fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 17, 2014

• Locked thread