Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

I'm going to disagree, 16:9 was a large part of my decision to get a Tab S instead of an iPad Mini. The form factor/Size is ideal for text that does reflow (Most eBooks/webpages) and media consumption while being extremely comfortable to hold and transport.

You specifically missed my point that I'm not reading ebooks that reflow. I'm reading PDFs that do not. The 7" screen (at any ratio) is way too small for that. I have a lot of ebooks that reflow, and they do alright, but still going back and forth between an iPad2, iPad Mini, and Nexus 7(12/13) and 10, the iPads are streets ahead of Nexus for reading.

Screenchat aside, however Android ebook support is still way behind iBooks. Play Books doesn't support good organization, if you try to highlight a line at the end of a page it's hidden by the definition window, and they hardly support epub3. Any other Android app that has better functionality is either so bogged down with settings it's nearly useless or it runs extremely poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ChiTownEddie posted:

I have to say that is pretty baller.

I wonder how the Denver K1 compares to the Shield's K1 version. 64bit vs 32bit, 4+1core vs 2core. etc.

The shield also does this thing that when it detects that its plugged into a TV via HMDI it will ask if you want to change the resolution of the tablet to match the TV. Works pretty well, only downside is that if you do match resolutions it turns off the display on the tablet completely.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It's been officially confirmed by Google to Android Police that the 2012 Nexus 7 will receive Android Lollipop as well.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...d-5-0-official/

This means that every single Nexus (minus the Nexus Q, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Nexus One) will receive the update:

Nexus 7 (2012)
Nexus 4
Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 5
Nexus 9
Nexus 6

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

if you try to highlight a line at the end of a page it's hidden by the definition window

This is such a stupid flaw it amazes me it has not been fixed. It is one of the reasons that I just cannot buy an Android tablet without being annoyed. I don't understand why this hasn't been corrected, but Google pulls a lot of crap like this.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mAlfunkti0n posted:

This is such a stupid flaw it amazes me it has not been fixed. It is one of the reasons that I just cannot buy an Android tablet without being annoyed. I don't understand why this hasn't been corrected, but Google pulls a lot of crap like this.

I typically just pinch zoom out the page and then highlight, but yeah, it's nonsense.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Gunktacular posted:

The shield also does this thing that when it detects that its plugged into a TV via HMDI it will ask if you want to change the resolution of the tablet to match the TV. Works pretty well, only downside is that if you do match resolutions it turns off the display on the tablet completely.

Yes, this is the console mode. By entering or leaving console mode, it closes all open apps to do so. This saves massive amounts of resources. As battery life in console mode is significantly better than in mirror mode (granted the screen is ON in mirror mode and OFF in console mode).

This tablet is baller IMO. Plus I really like the SHIELD wireless controller. It feels very comfortable to hold. It also has a touch pad and uses WiFi Direct, so there is zero lag delay. I am very impressed.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's been officially confirmed by Google to Android Police that the 2012 Nexus 7 will receive Android Lollipop as well.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/1...d-5-0-official/

This means that every single Nexus (minus the Nexus Q, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Nexus One) will receive the update:

Nexus 7 (2012)
Nexus 4
Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 5
Nexus 9
Nexus 6

Wow. Hopefully it won't run like a dog on the 2012.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I kind of dig that "sand" color on the N9. Are the fronts all black? White back/black front would look pretty dope too.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Boywunda posted:

Yes, this is the console mode. By entering or leaving console mode, it closes all open apps to do so. This saves massive amounts of resources. As battery life in console mode is significantly better than in mirror mode (granted the screen is ON in mirror mode and OFF in console mode).

This tablet is baller IMO. Plus I really like the SHIELD wireless controller. It feels very comfortable to hold. It also has a touch pad and uses WiFi Direct, so there is zero lag delay. I am very impressed.

The controller is pretty amazing, the integrated touchpad works pretty well too. I picked up a usb host adapter thing on amazon that lets me plug in xbox 360 controllers straight into the tablet too which is a must buy in my opinion.

This is the one I used: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0F8FN2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
A few pages back there was some discussion about replacing the microusb port on the N7(2012). I just got done making that repair myself and just wanted to say it was dead simple. I paid 22$ on amazon for it OEM (I'm pretty sure it was pulled from a busted N7). I could've paid a little less but that was the price for the only seller I could find that was covered by Prime. N7 is happily charging as I write this, no cord jiggling required.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Edit: wrong thread

Zurui fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 15, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has there been any indication on where the N9 is launching? Is it just the US on 17th and other places have to wait? Any international pricing yet?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Uuuugh. I want more info on the device! I haven't been this excited for a piece of tech in a while.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Uuuugh. I want more info on the device! I haven't been this excited for a piece of tech in a while.

Ask and ye shall receive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo1XD32zT1I

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 16, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I have no clue why this is 9 rather than 10, or even 11 inches. For me, I can either pocket something or not. Beyond that, I don't care as long as it fits in my satchel, so you may as well make it larger. Essentially, the only thing I'll use a tablet for over my phone (Nexus5) is reading comicbooks, maybe other large scale PDFs. 9" is worse for both of those than 10 inches.

Also, only 2GB of ram, and max 32GB storage, less than the Nexus 6 phone in both cases. Baffling choices really, especially given they're pushing it as a laptop replacement too with the keyboard.

I have a feeling this is going to get poo poo on by the new iPads also.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

wooger posted:

I have no clue why this is 9 rather than 10, or even 11 inches. For me, I can either pocket something or not. Beyond that, I don't care as long as it fits in my satchel, so you may as well make it larger. Essentially, the only thing I'll use a tablet for over my phone (Nexus5) is reading comicbooks, maybe other large scale PDFs. 9" is worse for both of those than 10 inches.

Also, only 2GB of ram, and max 32GB storage, less than the Nexus 6 phone in both cases. Baffling choices really, especially given they're pushing it as a laptop replacement too with the keyboard.

Yeah, I'm still dragging by with the original Nexus 7. Mine is slow as molasses compared to my Nexus 5, but I was holding out hope for a new 7 inch option.

Guess I'll just buy the 2013 Nexus 7 instead?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

wooger posted:

Lighter and smaller. iPad Mini is preferred by a lot of people over iPad Air for those reasons. Isn't it $299 for base model also? That's a lot cheaper than a new $499 iPad Air.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 16, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Should I cut my losses and sell my N7 2012 16GB for $50 before N9 is released account of it slowing down dramatically the last few weeks? I still use it but I think it's getting choppy and apps are always crashing for no reason. I can still read ebooks/email but that's kinda not why I bought it in the first place.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

So now that Google apparently abandoning cheap but decent small tablets in favor of premium-priced high end devices I've decided to get a 2013 N7 while I still can. Is there a consensus as to which LTE provider to choose, or does everyone just wifi tether on their smartphone and hope their provider doesn't notice?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Loucks posted:

So now that Google apparently abandoning cheap but decent small tablets in favor of premium-priced high end devices I've decided to get a 2013 N7 while I still can. Is there a consensus as to which LTE provider to choose, or does everyone just wifi tether on their smartphone and hope their provider doesn't notice?

Why not get the Nvidia Shield Tablet instead?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Or a Hudl 2.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

JoeMB posted:

Why not get the Nvidia Shield Tablet instead?

Because it offers nothing I need over the N7 and costs more. I'm not a "gamer." As far as I can tell the N7 2013 is plenty good enough. For reference, my S4 is excessive and I plan to get a Moto G on Cricket once my SERO contract expires because I have no reason to pay extra when cheap phones are good enough now.

Unless I'm missing something here. If I wanted the latest hotness I'd drop like $500 on a Nexus 9, but the move to expensive, performance-oriented devices is precisely what is driving my desire to get something that suits me while I still can.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Lighter and smaller. iPad Mini is preferred by a lot of people over iPad Air for those reasons. Isn't it $299 for base model also? That's a lot cheaper than a new $499 iPad Air.
$399 for a Nexus 9 - Same as an iPad mini 3 or $100 more than an iPad mini 2.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I've used the Nexus 9. The screen is awesome and everything is smooth.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Loucks posted:

In the states? If you have tethering on your account there is nothing stopping you from WiFi tethering but for the $10 a month that it costs me to put a tablet on my AT&T plan not draining my phone battery and my tablet always having an internet connection automatically is worth it to me. Maybe not for everyone but it is super, super convenient.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Has anyone confirmed that the 9 doesn't have Qi or is it "the specifications don't list it" and we don't know?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
This is an unbelievably amateur launch compared to the iPad announced today: I have no idea what the N9 will cost in the UK and only a vague idea that it *might* be available to pre-order in the UK tomorrow. Let alone when.

Based on the USD prices, it looks like the 32GB WiFi one is $479, the same price as the new iPad w/ 64GB.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wooger posted:

Based on the USD prices, it looks like the 32GB WiFi one is $479, the same price as the new iPad w/ 64GB.
To be fair to the N9, I don't think the Mini is what you want to compare against.

iPad Mini 3 64GB: $499
iPad Air 2 64GB: $599

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

To be fair to the N9, I don't think the Mini is what you want to compare against.

iPad Mini 3 64GB: $499
iPad Air 2 64GB: $599

True, I screwed up £ with $, so at least a little cheaper.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The larger take away from the Apple event is that they charge +100$ for +48GB instead of +80$ for +16GB :(

I'm doing a good job of not sperging out about the specs, such as 2GB of RAM, since I probably won't really notice...but the pricing is still an annoyance.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Thinking of upgrading my 2013 Nexus 7 to the new Nexus 9. Have really enjoyed the small tablet for the last year, but the tiny size and 16:9 aspect ratio makes reading web pages annoying without zooming in. Looking forward to the 4:3 aspect ratio and bump in screen size. Access to the crazy fast K1 chip is a nice bonus, and at $100 less than an iPad Air 2 I'm totally sold. I wonder how much I'll regret getting the 16 gig model, but I don't play any games and really just browse the web and listen to podcasts on the tablet. Haven't had any space issues on my Nexus 7.

edit: Do bluetooth keyboards work with Android?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mod sassinator posted:

Yep.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

mod sassinator posted:

You mean like the one specifically made for the 9?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Awesome, thanks! Yeah I'm actually interested in making an arcade controller with a little bluetooth keyboard board. The 4:3 aspect ratio and K1 will be perfect for MAME and other classic game emulation. Can just spin the tablet around to go from vertical shooters to normal wider aspect ratio games. The K1 probably has more than enough power to run fun CRT emulation shaders and such too.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I hate the 9" 4:3 format (although it's probably the right choice for that size) but the added keyboard make it gorgeous and perfect for a convertible laptop replacement. Let's hope it's included :smith:

Microsoft must be screwing that Google perfected the surface design.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Daimo posted:

I hate the 9" 4:3 format (although it's probably the right choice for that size) but the added keyboard make it gorgeous and perfect for a convertible laptop replacement. Let's hope it's included :smith:

It is nice to dream.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Daimo posted:

I'd bet on $100. Crazy that we don't know yet though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daimo posted:

It says right on the N9 page that it's extra.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
No micro HDMI out on the 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Popero posted:

No micro HDMI out on the 9?
With Miracast and Chromecast and Android TV I'd say we're not going to see that on Nexus devices again.