Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm going to be playing Claptrap in 2-player Co-op. Which tree should I use? The middle tree looks like full-on support. While the high five skill looks funny, I'm not sure how useful the tree is. The left tree reminds me of Gaige's anarchy tree a little, which I like, but otherwise seems boring. Right looks like it could either be really fun or absolutely terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Claptrap is one of the most damaging characters. This isn't surprising to me, really, I guess.

The far right tree with various subroutines seems like a rather terrible tree given the 'random' nature of it, but the last tier of skills pretty much give you complete control over the frag stacks, which means with Tripleclocking and slam/melee/grenades you can pretty much keep a subroutine going indefinitely, playing an edge case with slam/tripleclocking to get increased damage for that particular subroutine, or playing it safe with higher frag stacks to keep the bonuses.

Combined with his one shot wonder and other amazing abilities you can unload a full sniper rifle clip into someone's head with the sniper rifle subroutine and tripleclocking and pretty much loving destroy everything.

I'm convinced that this is the 'correct' way to play Claptrap in this mode, as he doesn't need to breath, so can 'slam' with impunity with no negative effects.

Those who have a hard time coming to grips with Claptrap are missing out on one of the most fun, powerful characters out there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

:rolleyes:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Eonwe posted:

I feel like its just how Anthony Burch writes. He isn't subtle at all. I don't think it was some secret agenda to get on the winning side of "the gays."

Ey I didn't know you got this.

Also is this unlocking at midnight GMT?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Alteisen posted:

Me being gay doesn't define me, its simply a small part of who I am as a whole, the problem with these characters is that they have the subtlety of a brick to the face. You don't discover that they're gay through interactions with them or doing quests, its practically the first thing they tell you. Its cool they're being inclusive but be more subtle about it, otherwise it comes off as pandering.

Also Torque's line about about friendzoning is a misogynist way of looking at relationships was cringe inducing.
Nothing in Borderlands is subtle. All the characters are completely open about wanting to murder people, might as well be open about sexuality.

Torgue's line was hilarious in part because I knew it would make certain people really mad (I checked 4chan and yep)

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Kaubocks posted:

Oh no, I was planning on playing as Athena because I like melee and elemental damage but my favorite thing to do in BL2 was play Maya and poo poo out as many bullets as fast as possible. Now I'm completely torn.

Athena is probably what you want, her elemental tree benefits from rapid fire weapons and making GBS threads out bullets. Nisha isn't as much about elemental damage as she is about plain normal DPS and skirmishing. It's just that Nisha does not have the option of those support roles, she is all about shooting and nothing else. You COULD play as just a shooty shoot Athena if you wanted.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Nothing in Borderlands is subtle. All the characters are completely open about wanting to murder people, might as well be open about sexuality.

Torgue's line was hilarious in part because I knew it would make certain people really mad (I checked 4chan and yep)

I agree with Alt's logic, but if it gets the little 15 year-old misogynists on 4chan mad, then keep on keepin' on, Gearbox.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Athena feels very BL1 Lilith to me at times since she can just go invincible for a duration to get all her hp + shields back, along with shooting out a bananas amount of elemental damage with rapid firing weapons. If that one legendary fire SMG is back, the one that stacks its elemental DoT infinitely, that will be downright ridiculous, since DoT ticks also build maelstrom stacks for her.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Skandranon posted:

Athena is probably what you want, her elemental tree benefits from rapid fire weapons and making GBS threads out bullets. Nisha isn't as much about elemental damage as she is about plain normal DPS and skirmishing. It's just that Nisha does not have the option of those support roles, she is all about shooting and nothing else. You COULD play as just a shooty shoot Athena if you wanted.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Nisha actually kind of wants to avoid elemental damage because the +gun damage bonus on Showdown and some of her skills doesn't affect elemental damage, correct? I know she has at least one skill that is explicitly for non elemental damage.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Alteisen posted:

Also Torque's line about about friendzoning is a misogynist way of looking at relationships was cringe inducing.

I actually kind of like that a character who looks like a one-joke Macho Man Randy Savage knock-off is also super progressive about relationships and COMPLETELY UNSUBTLE about, well, anything. :torgue:

I think the biggest problem with the writing in Borderlands is whenever they try to get serious about death. In a universe that treats life as completely disposable (underlined by the New-Us and vending machines that spew deadly weapons) it inevitably comes off as a whiplash-inducing shift in tone.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Crazy Larry posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Nisha actually kind of wants to avoid elemental damage because the +gun damage bonus on Showdown and some of her skills doesn't affect elemental damage, correct? I know she has at least one skill that is explicitly for non elemental damage.

I'm playing Nisha as basically a Jakobs customer service representative going down the middle tree taking as many +damage and +reload speed skills as possible and so far the outlook is promising. Desperado seems like the preferred class mod for this. That Torgue-mode gamechanger in the middle looks really fun.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

"Nothing is more badass than treating a woman with respect! :torgue:"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Speaking of Torgue, it always confuses me that it's actually the Tediore guns that are grenades when you reload them. Torgue needs to stage a buyout.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Jsor posted:

Speaking of Torgue, it always confuses me that it's actually the Tediore guns that are grenades when you reload them. Torgue needs to stage a buyout.

I could just be making up memories, but wasn't the reload originally part of the Torgue traits? I recall reading that it was added to the Tediore line instead because just having fast reloads was underwhelming for a gun company.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Solartide posted:

I could just be making up memories, but wasn't the reload originally part of the Torgue traits? I recall reading that it was added to the Tediore line instead because just having fast reloads was underwhelming for a gun company.

Tediore's gimmick is their guns are cheap and disposable so while they might not put out the damage of other brands you can just throw the empty gun away and digistruct a new one. I think its less Rorgue-boom and more antiseptic self-cleansing boom.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Clearly the Tediore company is an offshoot of the Torgue corporation.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Can I get an invite to the Bordergoons group too? https://steamcommunity.com/id/kalis004

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Solartide posted:

Nah, it was always supposed to be Tediore. Since they are really cheap that it's easier to just throw it away instead of reloading it. Also there's the whole meta joke that people always tossed Tediore guns in the first game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Party Boat posted:

I actually kind of like that a character who looks like a one-joke Macho Man Randy Savage knock-off is also super progressive about relationships and COMPLETELY UNSUBTLE about, well, anything. :torgue:

Yeah this is how I see it. The hamfisted approach to story telling in these games really suits a character like Torgue and I will continue to enjoy him until it gets played out.

Also if MRAs are actually getting riled by it then all the better.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I had the 16th as my mental release date on Steam for this but it says 1 day 2 hours. That's the 17th. :colbert:

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Reiley posted:

Tediore's gimmick is their guns are cheap and disposable so while they might not put out the damage of other brands you can just throw the empty gun away and digistruct a new one. I think its less Rorgue-boom and more antiseptic self-cleansing boom.

In Borderlands 1, Tediore weapons were stated to be very simply designed and meant to be easily reloaded, so all Tediore guns in that game had high reload speed boosts. Borderlands 2 reimagined them into the "Wal-Mart of guns" with the idea of disposable firearms.

I've been playing Wilhelm so far and finally unlocked his cyber-arm. So far the robo punch can one-shot most anything. Need to invest in some badass ranks into his melee damage.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jibo posted:

Yeah this is how I see it. The hamfisted approach to story telling in these games really suits a character like Torgue and I will continue to enjoy him until it gets played out.

Also if MRAs are actually getting riled by it then all the better.

Borderlands is really just about character interactions for me. I don't really care whatever the gently caress the stupid overarching plot is. I'm curious to see how it turns out, but it's not a big deal. I mostly just like to see mostly one-note wacky characters play off each other. Tiny Tina, Torgue, and Moxxi kind of play into that (though I guess they tried to develop Moxxi a bit more). Sometimes they're really good, sometimes they're really bad. I think the worst thing I can say about the Pre-Sequel is that for the most part the characters are neither good nor bad. They're just mediocre.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Reiley posted:

I'm playing Nisha as basically a Jakobs customer service representative going down the middle tree taking as many +damage and +reload speed skills as possible and so far the outlook is promising. Desperado seems like the preferred class mod for this. That Torgue-mode gamechanger in the middle looks really fun.

Nisha seems almost unfair after playing as Zero and the Gunzerker in borderlands 2. Apart from one boss fight where I didn't get the mechanic at first, I haven't died once to enemy fire. Her active is on a 15 second cooldown (less for me now) and once you get the hang of switching targets, you can generally clear out the entire room in seconds through the iron sights.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So where my console goons at?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Caros posted:

Nisha seems almost unfair after playing as Zero and the Gunzerker in borderlands 2. Apart from one boss fight where I didn't get the mechanic at first, I haven't died once to enemy fire. Her active is on a 15 second cooldown (less for me now) and once you get the hang of switching targets, you can generally clear out the entire room in seconds through the iron sights.

I sort of wish her skill was just the powerup stuff because the autoaim on top of it feels like it trivializes everything, like I just press F and the encounter is over.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
First time playing boarderlands. Do I have to go around opening all the loot containers? This is worse than wolfenstein and having to spam E for everything.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

First time playing boarderlands. Do I have to go around opening all the loot containers? This is worse than wolfenstein and having to spam E for everything.
Only if you need ammo, which is all 99% of boxes contain. The ones with money are generally distinct and the ones that can contain guns are also distinctive.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

r0ck0 posted:

Well, it depends. Most containers contain Ammo and/or health, or some cash.
If you dont need anything don't grab them.

Careful about missing those that give guns tho.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
I found BL2, especially the end, insanely frustrating when playing solo. How is the solo vs coop balancing in this game?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Agreed. I agree about the friendzone thing being dumb whiny bullshit, but it felt out of place because previously the dude was getting upset over how lasers don't explode and now he's talking about this stuff? It's not even done in a funny way. It's like the line got inserted into a previously existing joke because the writers felt compelled to put it in there as a petty take-that to dudes who use r/redpill or other stupid MRA poo poo.

It's funny that people are getting super mad over this lame joke, though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Both moments are several years apart though. Torgue has grown and matured since then.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

"I'll be the one shooting lasers out of my eyes when you're dying of turbocancer."

Wilhelm :allears:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Genocyber posted:

"I'll be the one shooting lasers out of my eyes when you're dying of turbocancer."

Wilhelm :allears:

TURBO cancer?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SunAndSpring posted:

Agreed. I agree about the friendzone thing being dumb whiny bullshit, but it felt out of place because previously the dude was getting upset over how lasers don't explode and now he's talking about this stuff? It's not even done in a funny way. It's like the line got inserted into a previously existing joke because the writers felt compelled to put it in there as a petty take-that to dudes who use r/redpill or other stupid MRA poo poo.

It's funny that people are getting super mad over this lame joke, though.

Oh no, the kiddies are growing up and learning that borderlands has alot of cheap jokes? Enjoy it for what it is you dopes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dalael posted:

Careful about missing those that give guns tho.

And the gun/gear ones are really obvious (though lockers often have pistols.) They're big giant chests that are usually big gray or white blocks or rounded red ones.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Maybe I'm being a babby but this game is exhausting the gently caress out of my mouse hand :( I think it's all the vertical camera swinging I'm not used to in FPSes.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Tx2005 posted:

I found BL2, especially the end, insanely frustrating when playing solo. How is the solo vs coop balancing in this game?

I had the same problem when trying to solo and coop the DLC's with my GF.

We simply couldnt kill some of the bosses no matter how often or hard we tried.

We ended up giving up trying by ourselves and got 2 more players in. I just hope this one isn't like that.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I beat the game and there was no Krieg cameo 0/10 worst game ever

just kidding i liked it a lot 9/10

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Claptrap has the Krieg cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Claptrap has the Krieg cameo.

I only got the Meat Unicycle action package like 3 times in the whole 20 hours I played :(

But I did kill like, all of the end game bosses with pirate ship cannonballs so that pretty much made up for it.

• Locked thread