Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

God Of Paradise posted:

recommend reading Flow My Tears The Policeman, Martian Time Slip, and Man In The High Castle (but expect something very different). Some Dick books are pretty bad even to his biggest fans, you got a few pieces of coal in your stocking.
luckily they are all pretty short so I won't just give up on the bad ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I've been on a horror kick, it seems. Over the last week I read Night Film, Paper Valentine, The Demonologist, Heart-Shaped Box, and The Exorcist. I've started This House is Haunted and The Shining Girls and should finish them up by today or tomorrow. So far Night Film and The Exorcist have been my favorites, so any similar recommendations would be appreciated.

S. has just shown up in the mail, and I'm excited to start it. The aesthetics are phenomenal -- it really looks like an old library book with annotations.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Local used bookstore had some great finds. Went there looking for Farewell my Lovely and ended up picking up The Big Sleep and The High Window. loving Chandler has such a way with phrasing:

Raymond Chandler posted:

"How do you take your brandy, sir?"
"Any way at all."

Also filled out my Jane Austin collection which I had previously only owned on Kindle. Picked up Emma, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, and Mansfield Park.

Lastly, found a great collection of Chekhov's short stories. Can't wait to re-read "The Lady with the Dog."

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

bowmore posted:

luckily they are all pretty short so I won't just give up on the bad ones

Giving you warning just in case you've never read him, so you'd know where to start.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan and You Can't Win by Jack Black.

I've read the first couple chapters of both, they both seem like amazing fun and right up my alley.

Jack Black the safecracking hobo not the comedian.

I also picked up a book for research called Detroit: An American Autopsy.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
$2.40

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Just picked up the first book by David James Duncan, author of The Brothers K. That book was one of the best I've read in years, so I figured I'd pick up his other one. This one's about fly fishing rather than baseball, so I guess I'll be learning a lot about fly fishing.

starr
May 5, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I just picked up a copy of Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin. She referenced it a lot in the science fiction essay collection of hers I read so it'll be good to finally get into it.

Also bought a copy of The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction and The Worm Ouroboros by E.R Eddison.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Starfish by Peter Watts:

First chapter features a giant deep-sea nightmare fish battling to the death with an angry deep sea diver with dive knife. Yeeeeeeessssssss.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Just started it today and so far so good.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I highly recommend The Stormlight Archive, by Brandon Sanderson. So far I've only read the first one. I'm waiting on the 2nd one to be printed in paperback. I just don't have the space for hardcovers.

The first book is rather thick, and never a dull read. It will leave you wondering and wanting more.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Husk by Matt Hults. So far, it's like a cheesy Full Moon Pictures slasher movie, but that's not necessarily a bad thing... that said, I'm only about 6 (super-short) chapters in, so who knows. I've found that the only author who can get under my skin is still Stephen King--something about how he writes his violent scenes just gets me. I haven't had that feeling from this book yet.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Currently reading Mysteries by the bloke to your immediate left. It feels very different from the other works I've read of him so far, such as Hunger and Growth of the Soil, and there's a lot of intertextuality with The Idiot by Dostoyevsky going on.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Watched the movie maybe a dozen times or so over the years, figured it was time

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Zephyrine posted:

Just started on Atlas Shrugged.

Wow this book is going to take forever. And so far it's pretty terrible.

I mean I see what point she's trying to make but no real human beings would actually utter any of these dialogues.

Finished it earlier this week.

You know... I liked it. The first 700 pages or so are a bit slow but after that I really got into it.

I do not regret reading it.

Now I have started on the Wheel of Time series which after half a book has been a pretty run of the mill RPG

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 17, 2014

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I've just started reading Dracula, and I'm about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way through.

Obviously vampire mythology is inescapable and this book set up so much of it; I'm trying to read it from the perspective of a Victorian reader new to the whole thing. It must have been amazingly cool to be reading this for the first time back in the day, and have things move from the mystery of Dracula's castle, to the boat that docks itself in a storm, to Lucy's sleepwalking, and so on.

It's still a really, really entertaining read and some of the imagery is actually very effective and spooky. I guess you could say I'm enjoying it so far!

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm a sucker for neat book design, so when I found out there were new Olive Edition books (see: http://harperperennial.tumblr.com/oliveeditions) I got a bunch. New to my collection are Telegraph Avenue, Under the Volcano, The Monkey Wrench Gang, The Art of Racing in the Rain, Native Son, and State of Wonder.

I'd already amassed a little collection with Everything is Illuminated, Brave New World, The Crying of Lot 49, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, and Mysteries of Pittsburgh (by Michael Chabon).

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I've just started reading Dracula, and I'm about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way through.

Obviously vampire mythology is inescapable and this book set up so much of it; I'm trying to read it from the perspective of a Victorian reader new to the whole thing. It must have been amazingly cool to be reading this for the first time back in the day, and have things move from the mystery of Dracula's castle, to the boat that docks itself in a storm, to Lucy's sleepwalking, and so on.

It's still a really, really entertaining read and some of the imagery is actually very effective and spooky. I guess you could say I'm enjoying it so far!

I just finally got through the entire novel myself. One of the things I definitely didn't realize is how very many things about vampires can be traced directly back to the book, from Van Helsing to Renfield to the mist and bats. I think that's the first instance of wolves howling at the moon to make it spooky, too.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher:

Only two chapters in, but it is promising to be as fun as the first in the series. Werewolf, mobsters, a gunfight, and a whole pile of general bad attitudes.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Stardust by Neil Gaiman:

The first chapter is a bit slow as it describes a quiet and boring early-Victorian village. Despite the :geno: read, it builds the village well and I am sure it will pick up pace just fine.

Also, holy comma abuse, Batman.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just started Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton. This'll take me probably 3 months to get through :toot:

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just started The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse. Read the historical intro. What have I gotten into?

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. It tends to have good reviews but I'm finding it slow going. Too early to tell, though.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher:

A bunch of my books are already moved to my new place or boxed up, so this was my pick from what is still on hand to suit my October horror/fantasy kick. It is going strong and I am going to like it.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

jimcunningham posted:

Just started The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse. Read the historical intro. What have I gotten into?

Read 'The Journey to the East' first. It's only like 120 pages.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just splurged on these.

Leatherette, not real leather, but still very nice looking. The pages are sewn instead of glued, too. And they're an adorable size, only ~15cm tall each!

I just couldn't resist, even though I'm also getting this for Christmas:

If you get metaphorical boners over book editions, it's this:

quote:

This new edition includes all 50 of Alan Lee’s beautiful watercolour paintings that have been newly scanned by the artist himself, together with his stunning frontispiece painting that appears in full, for the very first time, as a three-page foldout sheet. The text has been reset using the definitive 50th anniversary text and is printed on high-quality paper, and this is accompanied by Tolkien’s own maps, which are printed in red & black as endpapers. The unjacketed book features illustrated boards and includes a silk ribbon marker, and is housed in a special transparent slipcase; together with Alan’s beautiful paintings, this new presentation of this landmark work provides the reader with the ultimate edition with which to celebrate the 60th anniversary of its first publication.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 23, 2014

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hedrigall posted:

I just splurged on these.

Leatherette, not real leather, but still very nice looking. The pages are sewn instead of glued, too. And they're an adorable size, only ~15cm tall each!

I just couldn't resist, even though I'm also getting this for Christmas:

If you get metaphorical boners over book editions, it's this:

I really ought to read these one of these days.. I know, I know.. sacriledge! I was so glad when I received them a few years back, only to realize they were in french. Seing this edition makes me think I might just get them and finally have some culture

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

They're not very good books.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Just bought Anathem by Neil Stephenson. See you guys in 2 years.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

CestMoi posted:

They're not very good books.

The Hobbit is a very fun adventure tale :catbert:

But I can't get through the others for the life of me.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Butch Cassidy posted:

The Hobbit is a very fun adventure tale :catbert:

But I can't get through the others for the life of me.

That's exactly how I feel--I admire what Tolkien did much more than I actually enjoy it...

Reading We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley Jackson, and wow. Might be one of the best things I've ever read.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I began The last threshold, by R.A Salvatore. Book IV of Neverwinter saga. So far so good!

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pukestain Pal posted:

Just bought Anathem by Neil Stephenson. See you guys in 2 years.

Literally couldnt get past page 80. Its too much.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Count Zero by William Gibson:

Is Gibson. Is good, so far.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings Deluxe Pocket box set arrived today! The books are gorgeous, and a really cute size. Text is quite tiny though. See album:

http://imgur.com/a/IOkts

They're leatherette, not leather, but still feel great. I'm pretty sure the pages are sewn, not glued.

More info: http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1177-the-hobbit-and-the-lord-of-the-rings-deluxe-pocket-boxed-set.php

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hedrigall posted:

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings Deluxe Pocket box set arrived today! The books are gorgeous, and a really cute size. Text is quite tiny though. See album:

http://imgur.com/a/IOkts

They're leatherette, not leather, but still feel great. I'm pretty sure the pages are sewn, not glued.

More info: http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/1177-the-hobbit-and-the-lord-of-the-rings-deluxe-pocket-boxed-set.php
Nice! I assume leatherette is to keep the animal lovers (myself included) happy.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Just started Sourcery by Terry Pratchett, in my continuing journey through Discworld books by date of publication. I've been reading them in between other longer books as a sort of break.

Book is funny so far, although it really seems like a complete retread of The Light Fantastic. The plot is nearly the same, but his wit and writing are better this time around so I don't mind. Rincewind is in top form in this book, some seriously funny stuff. I especially liked this paragraph, Rincewind's thoughts in reply to someone who ran away from a life as a grocer selling lettuce and other boring foods to look for adventure:

Rincewind posted:

Rincewind sighed. He liked lettuce. It was so incredibly boring. He had spent years in search of boredom, but had never achieved it. Just when he thought he had it in his grasp his life would suddenly become full of near-terminal interest. The thought that someone could voluntarily give up the prospect of being bored for fifty years made him feel quite weak. With fifty years ahead of him, he thought, he could elevate tedium to the status of an art form. There would be no end to the things he wouldn't do.

And also this:

quote:

The truth isn't easily pinned to a page. In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find...

Good stuff. Really looking forward to getting through this though so I can get to the next few, another witches book and then the first night watch book a book after that. I loved Granny Weatherwax in Equal Rites, so more of her is exciting, and I am eagerly anticipating starting on the Night Watch books to see what all the fuss is about.

Discworld is cool and I wish I had read them earlier and not starting at age 30, I would have loved them in high school. But whatever, better late then never.

Damo fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 3, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Just started Michel Faber's The Book of Strange New Things. It's about a man who has been chosen by a global corporation to travel to a newly discovered world, Oasis, and serve as the Christian minister to the native population while his wife remains at home. After awhile, in her correspondence his wife reveals that all kinds of cataclysmic disasters are occurring on Earth while he is away.

I have to say this first -- Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White is one of my favorite books of all time, and every other thing he's written has been mildly to wildly disappointing in comparison, to the point where I can hardly believe the same author wrote all of them (The Fire Gospel?? :stonk:). With the first few chapters, this new book already has demonstrated that the quality of its prose is not up to The Crimson Petal's standards.

BUT. This morning I read an interview with Faber in which he revealed that his beloved wife Eva (who was a tremendous support for his writing during their marriage) recently died of bone cancer, that this book about a married couple living in two different worlds was his way of working through the pain of her sickness, and that he says it will be his final novel since he doesn't want to continue writing without her.

So with that in mind, I'll continue reading.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Rabbit Hill posted:

Just started Michel Faber's The Book of Strange New Things. It's about a man who has been chosen by a global corporation to travel to a newly discovered world, Oasis, and serve as the Christian minister to the native population while his wife remains at home. After awhile, in her correspondence his wife reveals that all kinds of cataclysmic disasters are occurring on Earth while he is away.

I have to say this first -- Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White is one of my favorite books of all time, and every other thing he's written has been mildly to wildly disappointing in comparison, to the point where I can hardly believe the same author wrote all of them (The Fire Gospel?? :stonk:). With the first few chapters, this new book already has demonstrated that the quality of its prose is not up to The Crimson Petal's standards.

BUT. This morning I read an interview with Faber in which he revealed that his beloved wife Eva (who was a tremendous support for his writing during their marriage) recently died of bone cancer, that this book about a married couple living in two different worlds was his way of working through the pain of her sickness, and that he says it will be his final novel since he doesn't want to continue writing without her.

So with that in mind, I'll continue reading.

I have a friend who is in love with Faber's work and just finished The Book of Strange New Things, and she said it was great but absolutely bleak. I haven't read Crimson Petal and the White but I was very enamored with Under the Skin - planning to read Crimson Petal before I move on to the new one. Did you like Under the Skin?

Can you link that interview you read? I would love to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Sure -- it's very short, though! http://www.npr.org/2014/11/02/360859133/fabers-strange-new-things-is-a-tribute-to-his-wife

I tried reading Under the Skin many years ago and at the time I couldn't make heads or tails of it (:haw:) and was mad that it wasn't like the Crimson Petal, so I didn't get very far into it. I should definitely pick it up again.

• Locked thread