Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

kzin602 posted:

A good friend of mine recently passed his Level one judge test and was curious about how people get those judge polos. He quickly learned that there's no room for fun in the world of Magic judging.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mtgjudge/comments/2j6mz5/i_just_passed_my_level_1_today_this_is_the_most/

I don't know why anyone would want to judge a large event. I passed a L1 just so I can handle some local stuff, but losing money to work a 10+ hour day at a SCG Open or the like sounds like my idea of hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Olothreutes posted:

Mostly I'm asking because someone I know is claiming that the lotus pull in that recent video must be a fake because Tropical Island and black lotus couldn't be in the same pack. I'm not entirely convinced that's the case, but the packing process certainly has its quirks like the common runs we see in packs today.

Niton posted:

How on earth would he know? It's been more than 20 years since ABU packs were in regular circulation, and I can't imagine all that much mapping work was ever done on them.

The argument I've seen was "On the Beta rare sheet Tropical Island and Black Lotus weren't next to each other."
:rolleyes:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Who gives a gently caress honestly?

Woo boy guys I sure got you good with my alpha pack hoax! You actually thought I had the Devil's Luck! Ha ha ha!

People get so pissy over the dumbest poo poo.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Let's add Daring Thief to the list of cards that are widely played in an active format and yet broken in Magic Online. Look at this screenshot:

The game sees that I control a creature and my opponent controls a creature, so I should be able to put the trigger on the stack. All his creatures have Hexproof, but he has a permanent I can target, so I'm forced to target that one. But Font of Fertility is an illegal target, so it says "targets don't share the appropriate types" and forces me to start putting the trigger on the stack again. There's nothing I can do to actually put the trigger on the stack, so I can either concede the game or time out.

It happened twice in the same match!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's the game telling you not to play bad decks :colbert:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I don't know why anyone would want to judge a large event. I passed a L1 just so I can handle some local stuff, but losing money to work a 10+ hour day at a SCG Open or the like sounds like my idea of hell.

I honestly didn't understand what it took to become a judge and I am loving shocked. The kind of person who would voluntarily go through this process is almost as confusing to me as the people who thought up this convoluted scheme of testing and interviews for what I would consider not very serious.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's the game telling you not to play bad decks :colbert:

Bad is subjective.

His deck is obviously good at having fun.

Except on MODO

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

I honestly didn't understand what it took to become a judge and I am loving shocked. The kind of person who would voluntarily go through this process is almost as confusing to me as the people who thought up this convoluted scheme of testing and interviews for what I would consider not very serious.

I passed my L1 exam on Saturday (:toot:) and it feels nice, to be able to be involved with Magic despite being bad at it, to say the least. The interviews were "Why do you wanna be a Judge" pretty much, and the testing is stuff that could come up at your FNM or general casual play, it's not exactly rocket science. And hey, I'm a bad player, so why not do this, get involved with the game's community on a more organizing level, help my store run events and whatnot?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
If a player tries to play a creature with Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver's -X ability, and in response, another (or the same player) activates Perilous Vault (or hell, kills Ashiok with Hero's Downfall), does the -X still put the creature on the field? I have no reason to assume it wouldn't, but I ran into the argument it wouldn't enter play without Ashiok on the field.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Angry Grimace posted:

If a player tries to play a creature with Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver's -X ability, and in response, another (or the same player) activates Perilous Vault (or hell, kills Ashiok with Hero's Downfall), does the -X still put the creature on the field? I have no reason to assume it wouldn't, but I ran into the argument it wouldn't enter play without Ashiok on the field.
It should still occur, I think if it said after the ability "if Ashiok is still on the battlefield" then it wouldn't occur. It still should. I'm probably wrong.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes. The creature enters the battlefield as intended, Ashiok dying doesn't change that.

That's like saying "Durr you can't use his -X for 5 for Stormbreath Dragon that kills Ashiok.

All loyalty abilities will function as intended provided their target (in this case, the exiled Stormbreath), is located where it should be.

Say Gideon, Champion of Justice or Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker try to animate themselves and are killed before it resolves, it doesn't do anything because the target (themselves) no longer exists on the battlefield.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

Yes you will get the creature. If you had an Ashiok at 7 loyalty, and removed 7 counters for a Pearl Lake Ancient (thereby killing the Ashiok) you would still get the creature, right? Same thing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I am judging my first GP in November (New Jersey!) and am super excited. They're going to put me on side events as I am a garbage tier L1, but it's experience. Plus I've almost finished the left sleeve of my judge shirt. I was hoping to embroider my collar with Brian Kibler sideburn hair.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Did you guys see the video of the guy opening an Alpha Starter Deck and getting a Mint Black Lotus?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

goodness posted:

Did you guys see the video of the guy opening an Alpha Starter Deck and getting a Mint Black Lotus?

Yes, I saw the version with him carefully using an x-acto to open to booster pack. His reaction when he gets the tropical island, is pretty good. The reaction for finding a black lotus was the funniest thing I have listened to in awhile. It goes from denial to elation to denial to being a five year old kid getting that really expensive Christmas present. I hope that becomes a meme.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

goodness posted:

Yes. It's the reason behind the whole discussion of the oddities of alpha printings over the last few pages.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Daring thief has been broken since the moment it went live. Their attempts at fixing it have been a hilarious sequence of jokes.

When released, it could literally not trade enchantment creatures for regular creatures. In a set that was ABOUT enchantment creatures.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

What deck even runs Daring Thief? I need an excuse to play it.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

I think it's that Robits deck thats been floating around the Brewhaus lately.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Count Bleck posted:

ROBITS! Your sneaky thief convinces an enemy dude to come play for your team in exchange for a certified pre-owned Ornithopter.

EDIT: I love the idea that Daring Thief is a used car salesman.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 16, 2014

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Angry Grimace posted:

Speaking of Ashiok, isn't he bugged or was recently bugged in MODO? I remember watching someone use his -X to play a creature, hitting cancel to some confirmation, then the creature gets played anyway and Ashiok doesn't lose loyalty.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

^^^ I do recall a bug that basically made Ashiok's ultimate reset the game ala Karn. But minus the all the poo poo you exiled.

Froghammer posted:

ROBITS! Your sneaky thief convinces an enemy dude to come play for your team in exchange for a certified pre-owned Ornithopter.

Why isn't the deck called The Dealership?

Because you basically make someone sell their soul for a clunker that might break down on them down the line

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

FYI you have not lived until you have Triton Tactics'd a Daring Thief midcombat. BXCX recommended it and hoo boy

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AgentSythe posted:

FYI you have not lived until you have Triton Tactics'd a Daring Thief midcombat. BXCX recommended it and hoo boy

I feel like "Before Blocks, triton tactics my thief, you get my ornithopter, gimme that Polukranos, block your dudes kill you on backswing" is a thing people would enjoy, yes.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
That's a lovely Xenagod you've got going over there, it would be a shame if you didn't trade it for this sweet Singing Bell Strike though :smug:

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So is this just some form of that soul blade deck that has been running around but with daring thief?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Note that the second target for triton tactics can be the thing you're planning to steal. Which means you can block with a creature they attacked with.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

goodness posted:

It actually wasn't mint, as he posted a video later explaining. Even a fresh out of the pack Lotus is not guaranteed yo get a PSA 10 rating due to it being the front facing card. The cellophane caused a fair amount of cracking and creasing and he said its in really nice condition, but far from perfect.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm sure he's terribly bummed about it being a 9.5 and not a 10.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Olothreutes posted:

So is this just some form of that soul blade deck that has been running around but with daring thief?

It's Soul Blade without all the white in exchange for Chief Engineers, Daring Thief, and Scuttling Doom Engine AKA Scoots McGoots AKA Oops your Elspeth is Dead AKA Best Card in Standard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's a god drat crime that Scuttling Doom Engine doesn't have the creature subtype "crab", I mean seriously what the gently caress Wizards.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Entropic posted:

It's a god drat crime that Scuttling Doom Engine doesn't have the creature subtype "crab", I mean seriously what the gently caress Wizards.
It's literally a giant crab made of crabs

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
My local store is starting an ante league next week. Rules are you pick 6 boosters from any set that the store will have or attempt to order. All 6 boosters have to be from different sets, you make a sealed deck that you have to leave at the store, and each week you can buy a new booster from any set. At the start of any league match, you shuffle, flip the top, and that's your ante. So, what would be the most fun packs to pick? I was thinking about getting Lorwyn and Morningtide, maybe an m11, and then a few cheap recent ones because I'm not made of money. Any suggestions?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Entropic posted:

A masterwork of spite

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

My local store is starting an ante league next week. Rules are you pick 6 boosters from any set that the store will have or attempt to order. All 6 boosters have to be from different sets, you make a sealed deck that you have to leave at the store, and each week you can buy a new booster from any set. At the start of any league match, you shuffle, flip the top, and that's your ante. So, what would be the most fun packs to pick? I was thinking about getting Lorwyn and Morningtide, maybe an m11, and then a few cheap recent ones because I'm not made of money. Any suggestions?

Six packs from multicolored sets: the first Ravnica Block, the second Ravnica block, Shards block, and Khans. I assume the original Ravnica block is too expensive, but that still leaves seven sets for fun times.

Comedy answer Unglued Unhinged Portal Portal2 Portal3Kingdoms Starter.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

Six packs from multicolored sets: the first Ravnica Block, the second Ravnica block, Shards block, and Khans. I assume the original Ravnica block is too expensive, but that still leaves seven sets for fun times.

Comedy answer Unglued Unhinged Portal Portal2 Portal3Kingdoms Starter.

Older boosters are expensive but I figured I'd treat myself to a couple of my choice. Currently at the store they have stuff all the way back to the dark/arabian nights, but it isn't for sale except for ante league players. And they already said no alpha/beta/p3k and un-sets.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
The "secret tech" advice for BYOB sealed is to not be fancy at all and just get core sets: 1 each of M10 through M15. They're guaranteed to have solid limited playables, built around the consistent base strategies for each color with no parasitic mechanics or gimmicks.

Of course if you want to have fun, get whatever you want! Alara Reborn is very strong, 1x of each Ravnica set (or toss one for ARB) is neat too. Lorwyn/Morningtide is probably inadvisable, though, because their tribal strategies won't be supported well in other sets.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Older boosters are expensive but I figured I'd treat myself to a couple of my choice. Currently at the store they have stuff all the way back to the dark/arabian nights, but it isn't for sale except for ante league players. And they already said no alpha/beta/p3k and un-sets.

It's all fun and stuff opening old packs but most older sets have really really awfully unplayable junk up to and including the rares.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BXCX posted:

That's a lovely Xenagod you've got going over there, it would be a shame if you didn't trade it for this sweet Singing Bell Strike though :smug:

In seriousness that deck has been really pissing me off. I can never close the door with it. I've been trying the Soul Blade version but that hasn't really gone well either.

I'm probably just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

meanolmrcloud posted:

It's all fun and stuff opening old packs but most older sets have really really awfully unplayable junk up to and including the rares.

Yeah I expect several people to snatch up arabian nights anyway, I have no real interest in the old old sets myself. Just thinking about some sets I never got to draft, like lorwyn or zendikar block. I'll probably do mostly coresets anyways.

• Locked thread