Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
How I stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumbled upon the Zenithian Sword.

Just discovered this, it's another one of those 2ch thread inspired comics apparently. It's pretty decent, especially if you're knowledgeable about Dragon Quest V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Allarion posted:

How I stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumbled upon the Zenithian Sword.

Just discovered this, it's another one of those 2ch thread inspired comics apparently. It's pretty decent, especially if you're knowledgeable about Dragon Quest V.

It's an interesting read. And by the way, there's a LP of Dragon Quest V on the LP archive, so anyone curious about what this manga's referencing can check that out. But it's got solid enough characterization that DQV knowledge probably isn't really necessary. (It manages to make the tale of a bum who does nothing but build bonfires interesting and insightful.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Update on the Kaiji situation.

That's kind of good to hear. All schools should have an ethics class where Kaiji is required reading.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

3 new Kaiji chapters!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I found something that's pretty cool.

Ponko of the Stars and Reiko of the Tofu Shop

It's an adorable story where two young kids meet a space alien saleswoman who sells them a magic box that can copy anything. It's very :3: up until the moment when Ponko eats the little brother's soul, turns into a succubus, and then Reiko grows up and leads an armed raid on a Yakuza compound.

I have no idea where it's going, but it's the perfect combination of :kimchi: and :psyboom:!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

That's awesome! Good find, looking forward to reading more

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, Bambino gets weird

...Is it a Japanese thing where if your cowoker violently assaults you in the street, makes promises of future violence and then storms off you come into work the next day and tell no one, report nothing, and plan to just beat him by doing a better job?

What the gently caress.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

pentyne posted:

So, Bambino gets weird

...Is it a Japanese thing where if your cowoker violently assaults you in the street, makes promises of future violence and then storms off you come into work the next day and tell no one, report nothing, and plan to just beat him by doing a better job?

What the gently caress.

Ban is just a loving idiot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So apparently someone started translating an old Katsuhiro Otomo manga called Apple Paradise. Only one chapter so far, but looks interesting with labor disputes and weird sci-fi implications at the end. It's from 1980, so about two years before he started writing Akira.

While searching on google for more info about this, I also found out Otomo also once wrote a Batman story. So that's something else I need to read.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Latest Ponko of the Stars.

S-Somehow it's turning out as a happy story again..? Wh-what? This can't be fine, can it?! :psyduck:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Bambino 2nd is terrible don't read it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

S-Somehow it's turning out as a happy story again..? Wh-what? This can't be fine, can it?! :psyduck:

It seems like the little brother would still find out at some point that time passed, though I guess we're supposed to assume that the transition will be easier for him now. Looks like the series will focus on the "oldier" sister in space now either way.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

pentyne posted:

What the gently caress.

korrandark posted:

Ban is just a loving idiot.

Dunno, I've actually seen a lot of similar scenarios in anime/manga.

rear end in a top hat character haughtily tells the protagonist something like "Everything you do is terrible and I'll never approve of you because you don't follow tradition/are a commoner/I'm secretly jealous/etc." and instead of the protagonist saying "Well, good thing I don't need your approval to be successful, rear end in a top hat" and then giving them the finger, the protagonist gets all fired up and decides they need to make the rear end in a top hat acknowledge them by working extra hard.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

DrSunshine posted:

Dang this is a great premise. I hope the pace keeps up. Anyone know if the translation is current or are there a bunch of raws to work through?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fellis posted:

Dang this is a great premise. I hope the pace keeps up. Anyone know if the translation is current or are there a bunch of raws to work through?

Mangaupdates says its only one volume long.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Blhue posted:

Mangaupdates says its only one volume long.
I'm also reading comments that say that that was the last chapter. Maybe there can be a sequel of strictly space adventure stories?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
By the way if anyone else is reading insane muscle-worshipping Baki series poo poo is about to get even crazier than unfreezing a Neanderthal dude for them to fight, because they're about to resurrect Miyamoto Mushashi by getting an old spirit medium to make his soul again, after re-creating his body from old bone marrow outta his skeleton.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pierson posted:

By the way if anyone else is reading insane muscle-worshipping Baki series poo poo is about to get even crazier than unfreezing a Neanderthal dude for them to fight, because they're about to resurrect Miyamoto Mushashi by getting an old spirit medium to make his soul again, after re-creating his body from old bone marrow outta his skeleton.

I wish the art wasn't so ugly. That sounds to be right up my alley, otherwise.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Serious Frolicking posted:

I unironically enjoy Baki's art. It just fits so well with the story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I unironically enjoy Baki's art. It just fits so well with the story.

Oh sure, I agree in theory. It is only right that everyone looks like an inhuman muscle monster. I just can't stand to look at them, is all.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pierson posted:

I really need to start reading this at some point.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Baki is one of the most beautifully drawn manga on the market. Just admit it... You aren't comfortable reading a manga featuring extremely jacked nude men.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Pewdiepie posted:

Baki is one of the most beautifully drawn manga on the market. Just admit it... You aren't comfortable reading a manga featuring extremely jacked nude men.

Are you suggesting that there is anyone on this subforum who would be uncomfortable with JJBA?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

Not when they are made entirely from sebaceous tumors, no. Stick a needle in a Baki character's face and it would burst, spraying gritty pus and hair all over the place.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Not when they are made entirely from sebaceous tumors, no. Stick a needle in a Baki character's face and it would burst, spraying gritty pus and hair all over the place.

The dudes with insanely jacked jawbones & chins are the best.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Baki is kinda like Prison School et al; it is totally honest about what it's about and the author loving loves to make Nasu-style speeches mid-fight in totally grandiose language about muscles and how Real Men Fight and poo poo like that.

I actually read the second series first (the one where due to synchronicity six serial killers all come to Japan looking for good fights, and Muhammed Ali and his son cameo, and Baki kidnaps the president of the US to go to prison to meet some giant jacked dude who lives like a king, and then Neanderthal man arrives, and etc) and I was fascinated. The art is janky as gently caress but it fits perfectly because the plot is all about the focus on the insane loving character's insane loving bodies and so is it. All the main guys are actual ubermensch sociopaths with no connection to or thoughts in common with anything resembling a real human being and it's perfectly fine and normal and easy to break into military bases to fight primeval man, or punch someone with your arm-stump after your hand gets cut off, or practice shadow-boxing with imaginary giant praying mantises for a fight with your dad. Everything is played absolutely straight.

All these things happen. If you enjoy JoJo I heartily recommend it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its George Bush rather than a generic US president and you forgot that Che Guevara is in it. Obama also appears later on

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Baki is a series where a side character tunnels through some poor man's intestines and bursts out of his mouth and it is played totally straight

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

Its George Bush rather than a generic US president and you forgot that Che Guevara is in it. Obama also appears later on

Che Guevara being one of the world's strongest fighters and a pirate was hilarious. I just binged through the second series up until the part with the dinosaur-man last night.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is the Baki anime a good adaptation at all?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I would like to add that in the world of Baki, ~60 year old Muhammad Ali trained so hard he overcame Parkinson's in order to beat the poo poo out of his own son.

Also the main antagonist for the majority of the series is a man so strong he went around having kids all over the world so that hopefully one day they'd grow up and provide him a decent challenge.

Basically the entire world is metal as hell and you should read it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
only 96/371 chapters of the first part are translated :gonk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Relin posted:

only 96/371 chapters of the first part are translated :gonk:

The anime is 2 seasons and covers the entire first manga series afaik.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Basically the entire world is metal as hell and you should read it.
A Trey Parker/Matt Stone kind of metal more than anything else, but that's not a bad thing. Thanks for this tip, this manga is indeed awesome! It's just unfortunate that everyone's cross eyed, but then this is a world where everyone's punched in the face forever.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
What part of Baki is Miyamoto in? Or are they making another series after the end of part three?

Also, best is totally when a guy fights with a mouthful of bullets and gets punched so hard they blow his face off and he still wins.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There's a fourth one now, Baki Dou.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah the first one isn't really translated but from what I inferred from part 2 is just a big tournament. Second one was the psychopaths, prison, Muhammed Ali and neanderthal man. Third one was all about him vs his amazing troll of a dad. Fourth one just started and so far is psychics and Musashi.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Prison with Che Guevara and Neanderthal man were both the third series. Series 2 is serial killers then Chinese kung fu tournament then Muhammed Ali. The anime if you can track it down covers the entire first manga series and introduces almost all of the characters that appear later on, but honestly isn't particularly necessary since the series is entirely people beating the poo poo out of each other.

Garouden is by the same artist but based on a series of light novels and features similarly muscled people beating the poo poo out of each other, slightly more realistic though. Teeth get smashed out all over the place because nobody wears a mouth guard

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jose posted:

Prison with Che Guevara and Neanderthal man were both the third series. Series 2 is serial killers then Chinese kung fu tournament then Muhammed Ali. The anime if you can track it down covers the entire first manga series and introduces almost all of the characters that appear later on, but honestly isn't particularly necessary since the series is entirely people beating the poo poo out of each other.

Garouden is by the same artist but based on a series of light novels and features similarly muscled people beating the poo poo out of each other, slightly more realistic though. Teeth get smashed out all over the place because nobody wears a mouth guard

What's the point of a light novel of people beating the poo poo out of each other? Is it some kind of meta thing where the terrible prose beats the poo poo out of the reader's dignity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

No idea, I think its written way more serious than this manga adaptation since there is some other more serious manga series based on it but I've not read the novels, since I don't know any Japanese