Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eunos
Nov 27, 2003

that's one hosed up roofline, isn't it? I'm attuned as we have a similar problem with our new house - design flaw by the fake architect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's a pretty ugly house in general. There's no overhang over the front door, I guess the vertical lines on the roof are because it's a steel snow-shedding roof but I find it really ugly, there's a bay window but one side of it looks out at the projecting front doorway instead of the view, there's the penis window, and it's painted various shades of beige. No interesting trim, the red frame around the front door is out of place, and maybe it's just the image aliasing but it sure looks like the siding is kind of uneven and lovely. I'm not a fan of the rocks and balls of generic bush for landscaping, either.

Everything about that house screams minimum-effort, builder's grade, and slapdash.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I'm the 3 high row of stones for some reason and what looks like a cut-out in the siding for the gas meter.

eunos
Nov 27, 2003
I was thinking more in terms of the valley between the 2 dormers (is dormer the right word? I think so). Water/snow is going to accumulate there and lead to premature roof failure, right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think there's some kind of plant bed under the bay window? There's that big semicircle of concrete there as if you're supposed to treat that area like a porch, but since it's not covered and it's not really big enough to do anything with it just looks empty and ugly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I guess the vertical lines on the roof are because it's a steel snow-shedding roof

Are those ice rakes above the eaves, then?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Beats me. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I've never lived where there's regular snow, so I don't really know about snow roofs.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
A lot of the lines on that look jacked up because the picture has been resized significantly. Talking about the roof lines and siding, etc.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
The thing that strikes me the most about it is how tiny it is. It looks like some tiny little house all dolled up like a big mansion. Maybe this is an artifact of the re-sizing (which I suspect has something to do with real estate agents by and large knowing nothing about computers) or perhaps it was taken with a very long lens, making the overdone landscaping seem even more like the house is in actual fact a garden shed. The steel roof does nothing to dispel this notion.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I notice the same thing I tend to notice on a lot of houses not from finland or sweden, very little roof overhang. I think a good sized overhang all around the house really completes the look and is also very functional. Without it I am reminded of american style barns.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Wang. It's a dick in a glass! :haw:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A good sized overhang does a lot for a house in both appearance and durability, it keeps the rain from running down the siding/trim/windows/doors and also directs it away from the foundation somewhat. If I ever make good on my dream of buying land somewhere and building a house from scratch, it's going to be drat near impervious to the elements.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So basically a gigantic underground all-stainless Thermos? :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe something like this "tornado proof" penis house?

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZjMTLmW

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

kastein posted:

A good sized overhang does a lot for a house in both appearance and durability, it keeps the rain from running down the siding/trim/windows/doors and also directs it away from the foundation somewhat. If I ever make good on my dream of buying land somewhere and building a house from scratch, it's going to be drat near impervious to the elements.
Here's a good video in general, with overhang talk starting at 7:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGG3BWRt80Y

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

So basically a gigantic underground all-stainless Thermos? :v:

You can buy old missile silos these days as long as you don't mind living underground in the middle of bumfuck nowhere North Dakota or whatever.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kastein posted:

Livin' the dream (completed ten years ago this month!)

ickna
May 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe something like this "tornado proof" penis house?

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZjMTLmW

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

You can buy old missile silos these days as long as you don't mind living underground in the middle of bumfuck nowhere North Dakota or whatever.

Also, if you can afford like $500k up front to buy it, plus several million dollars immediately to mitigate decades of deferred maintenance and toxic cleanup.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Try not to worry about the Russians still having it targeted, as well :ohdear:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Legitimately thought (at first) that this was a toilet with a plastic shell on top of it, and wondered what a cat was doing sitting in a toilet bowl.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's a Japanese toilet.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

That's a breast, not a penis.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Legitimately thought (at first) that this was a toilet with a plastic shell on top of it, and wondered what a cat was doing sitting in a toilet bowl.

It is a kind of toilet. It's a fancy litter box that needs water and sewer connections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhxAptRF5o
(this video shows it without the cover)

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

lazydog posted:

It is a kind of toilet. It's a fancy litter box that needs water and sewer connections
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhxAptRF5o
(this video shows it without the cover)

Can't wait till that thing malfunctions and you end up with a lukewarm cat-piss-poo poo slurry being slowly agitated and swirled as the water level slowly rises, the granules floating at the top of a soup of cat waste wheeling like a cat-piss-poo poo nebula

Those granules have got to smell pretty good after getting soaked in pisswater a couple times

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Saw this one in one of the neighbouring houses being built in our housing estate. Pretty sure you shouldnt run electrical cables like this!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Uncle Enzo posted:

Can't wait till that thing malfunctions and you end up with a lukewarm cat-piss-poo poo slurry being slowly agitated and swirled as the water level slowly rises, the granules floating at the top of a soup of cat waste wheeling like a cat-piss-poo poo nebula

Those granules have got to smell pretty good after getting soaked in pisswater a couple times

To be fair I have 2 of them. (My ex wife liked cats...I like them too)

As long as you break em down and clean them well once a year.. and run them directly to a waste drain as opposed to the weird toilet hook. They are pretty loving awesome. No litter box cleaning really, just little cat poo poo washing machines. I've had them for a few years anyways and any time they "break down" its usually just cleaning off the water sensor, and back in business. Never had the aforementioned cat-piss-poo poo nebula...

the granules slowly biodegrade, so you just top up a few times a year.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

nthalp posted:

To be fair I have 2 of them. (My ex wife liked cats...I like them too)

As long as you break em down and clean them well once a year.. and run them directly to a waste drain as opposed to the weird toilet hook. They are pretty loving awesome. No litter box cleaning really, just little cat poo poo washing machines. I've had them for a few years anyways and any time they "break down" its usually just cleaning off the water sensor, and back in business. Never had the aforementioned cat-piss-poo poo nebula...

the granules slowly biodegrade, so you just top up a few times a year.

One of the related videos was someone who had it back up with two pounds of compacted un-dissolved cat poo poo in the hopper over the course if 6 months so I don't really know who to believe.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

Saw this one in one of the neighbouring houses being built in our housing estate. Pretty sure you shouldnt run electrical cables like this!

The thing that caught my eye first was the "inventive" mortaring.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

PainterofCrap posted:

Livin' the dream (completed ten years ago this month!)

You built a two-story garage!?! :monocle:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Haha holy poo poo that litter box. I've had lots of cats growing up but never a litter box, I can't imagine having a box of cat piss and poo poo just sitting indoors. Actually I can, because I know a lot of apartment cats and it smells awful.

Not all cats blessed with yards are smart enough to use them though. Our friends finished their basement and the cats decided the carpeting down there was now their toilet. Pissed and poo poo so much down there they had to pretty much abandon the floor, rip out the carpets, and wait for the fuckers to die. They'd be hanging out outside and actually run into the house to piss in the basement.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

One of the related videos was someone who had it back up with two pounds of compacted un-dissolved cat poo poo in the hopper over the course if 6 months so I don't really know who to believe.

Most likely assumes machines are magical and work forever with no preventative maintenance. I dunno. Was just saying..

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

nthalp posted:

Most likely assumes machines are magical and work forever with no preventative maintenance. I dunno. Was just saying..

He said he only had it 6 months (I think) and he "didn't know the maintenance schedule" so whatever, I'll just get that stupid cat sphere the reccomendations thread likes so much.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The thing that caught my eye first was the "inventive" mortaring.

That really isn't too bad, I've seen far worse. Most masons don't give a rats rear end, if that side of the wall won't be visible when the building is done, let it all hang out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I was once in a cat hoarder's house. I counted 70 cats, but there were probably at least 100 more (judging from the density of cats in the space that I saw vs. the rest of the house I didn't see.)

The walls from about 4 feet and below were covered in a murky glaze of cat piss. The linoleum felt like sticky carpet under your feet (due to the cat hair). It was the grossest thing I've ever witnessed.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I was once in a cat hoarder's house. I counted 70 cats, but there were probably at least 100 more (judging from the density of cats in the space that I saw vs. the rest of the house I didn't see.)

The walls from about 4 feet and below were covered in a murky glaze of cat piss. The linoleum felt like sticky carpet under your feet (due to the cat hair). It was the grossest thing I've ever witnessed.

At that point you have to wear a hazmat suit with a respirator don't you? And then burn the whole place to the ground?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hope by "under my feet" you meant "under my shoes" or "under my hazmat grade boots"

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

He said he only had it 6 months (I think) and he "didn't know the maintenance schedule" so whatever, I'll just get that stupid cat sphere the reccomendations thread likes so much.

The what? That thread is really long. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
The hoarder I knew (or rather, knew his wife) only maxed at like 35+. (Of course, that's when he got the felony hoarding charges. :cop:) The house was regular-hoarder as well, but not exteremely so, and wasn't entirely hazmat.

The dude himself... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I guess at one point he had a cat die in bed with him, and he *just kept sleeping on the corpse*. :cry: (Wife was understandably elsewhere - she was only keeping on at all until the kids were 18 and could GTFO.) And while the house itself did not smell that bad, *he* loving REEKED of cat piss.

Which I found out by volunteering to drive them both over to a different friends' house of Christmas dinner. Single-digit temps, inches of wet fluffy snow I'm plowing through, and yes, windows the gently caress open. He did bathe and change clothes on arrival - not sure if that was why he was invited or not, could be the bathtub/shower was all full of cat feces or something in his house.

And the other friend, who was hosting, was in the mobile home I helped clean up a year or so earlier. Previous tenants had like 2-3 cats, and for certain a couple little yapdogs, all of which pissed all over the rugs. I was the one ripping them and the underpads out, then getting to yank all the stapling used to install... clouds of crystallised pee and old dust.

And it *still* smelled better than that dude.

(Wood flooring was put in, instead of carpet, and my friend's dogs are housetrained, so I'm not expecting a repeat engagement.)