Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Damo posted:

It's amazing how many people are willing to cover their phone's screen leaving it never to be touched, viewed through a lovely 50c piece of plastic or glass,

To each their own on the screen debate but you do realize that many screen protectors don't look lovely or change the appearance of the screen/Image, at all, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selane
May 19, 2006

Damo posted:

Also congrats you found the two worst named iPhone accessory companies ever. LUVVITT and iCarez. Seriously, iphone accessories have some of the dumbest company and product names in any industry. Good lord.

I'll say. One of the best things about having the Apple leather case is that when people ask me what case I have I don't have to say the word 'Otterbox' out loud.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Just received my iPhone 6 in the mail today. It's really great, I've been dealing with a 4 since they came out. Anyone know any good cases? I had a Magpul case that lasted my 4's entire life and protected it unbelievably well, practically indestructible and even was good enough protection for it to survive falling into a fire. They currently don't have anything out though so I'm curious.

I got a black and white CandyShell Grip from speck on day 1 to hold me over until stores got restocked.

http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-6-cases/candyshell-grip-cases-for-iphone-6.html

Turns out I still like it more then any other case.

Tons of rubber to make dropping it a non issue, looks great on a white phone, and the grip on it really helps with one handed use.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I had a regular candy shell but it was too slippery for my taste so got the grip. It's a great case. It's not bulky and the grips are in good spots. I highly recommend it as well. When you first put the phone into the case it feels like you may break it because it's snug though. Getting it off a small exercise as well.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
gently caress Speck forever, candy shell let my 5S shatter from a 2 foot drop and the case looks like absolute rear end after a couple months.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Amber Alert posted:

The website just says 'coming soon'. I am here looking for insider information on the release date of the 6+ Lifeproof case. How long after the previous generations releases were the cases introduced? Basically I just want to know if I should find a close-second for snowboarding this season or hold out for the LP.

It has taken anywhere from 2 mo to 6 mo in the past, but this is the first new form factor since Otterbox bought them so no one really knows, least of all probably them.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I'm waiting for the 12 South "Bookbook" for the 6+. I've owned it for the 4, MBA, iPad and iPad Mini and it's never let me down. A little bulkier but great protection from falls as well as possibly deterring casual theft.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

RustedChrome posted:

I'm waiting for the 12 South "Bookbook" for the 6+. I've owned it for the 4, MBA, iPad and iPad Mini and it's never let me down. A little bulkier but great protection from falls as well as possibly deterring casual theft.

Or ensuring that if it is stolen, it also takes away all of your cards, cash and ID at the same time.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Does anyone know of a way to contact Apple Support to help with iPhone issues without a serial number? I had to return mine so I don't have a the serial number.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

iMessage takes like no battery at all from what I've seen. Also if you didn't have that ridiculous screen protector on you would have zero dust on your screen.

Just because you have no one to talk to doesn't mean you're right.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My parents have an iMac, two iPhones, one iPad. All four are currently set up with the same AppleID. iMessage is currently disabled, cause the phones would not text each other with it on.

When I try to text them from my own iPhone, it sends an iMessage and from my end it looks like it was delivered. The message does not appear on either of their phones. They can text me fine, they arrive as regular texts.

How can I get my texts to show up on their phones?

What is the "right" way to set up multiple iPhones when my parents only have one shared email address and one AppleID?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Snapchat A Titty posted:

What is the "right" way to set up multiple iPhones when my parents only have one shared email address and one AppleID?

I would start by making separate Apple IDs. You can go into Settings > Messages and set an Apple ID that's specifically to be used with iMessage, and you can do the same for FaceTime. The ID set there doesn't affect the ID used everywhere else, like for App Store, etc.

edit : You may want to sign out any apple ID presently used for iMessage - it sticks even if the switch is turned off, IIRC. It usually works best also to go to any device that has an Apple logo on it, starting with things that aren't phones, ands sign all the way out of iMessage. Do the same for FaceTime. Sign out of these on the phones last. That should dissociate the phone numbers from the Apple ID, so you can start over.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 15, 2014

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

Just because you have no one to talk to doesn't mean you're right.

I'm not sure what you are trying to show here. It looks like you text a lot though.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

MarcusSA posted:

I'm not sure what you are trying to show here. It looks like you text a lot though.

Yeah it was an insanely wispy burn considering he must love staring at his home screen as well. Also a compete non sequitur regarding the actual subject at hand.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah it was an insanely wispy burn considering he must love staring at his home screen as well. Also a compete non sequitur regarding the actual subject at hand.

That or, perhaps, just maybe, it's my notifications waking up the screen when I receive messages or emails?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

benisntfunny posted:

That or, perhaps, just maybe, it's my notifications waking up the screen when I receive messages or emails?
That's not what the guy he was replying to was asking though.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

benisntfunny posted:

Calm down champ.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
The question was "Does spending a few minutes sending out text messages eat up a bunch of battery?" and the correct answer to that question is "No."

Good job posting a screenshot of how you stare at the home screen waiting for your mom to text back though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MarcusSA posted:

Just because you have no one to talk to doesn't mean you're right. *posts a screenshot showing app store used more commonly than phone.app"

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
So I done hosed up my 6's screen today and shattered it.

Stopped by the fruit stand and apparently swaps are up to $299, and that $109 price is just for screen replacements which they don't do in store yet and don't know when they will start.

If you don't have applecare+ get a case until they start doing screen swaps.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
So my replacement iFixit screen I installed in my iPhone 5 has developed a crack without any sign of impact/shatter, and they're not cooperating re: replacement.

Can anyone personally recommend a iPhone parts seller on Amazon, Newegg, or similar that's selling iPhone 5 screens for much less than iFixit ($60+shipping)? I just need a cheap replacement so I can trade it in to Sprint.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Facebook app just update to support the higher res and holy balls does it make a difference.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm selling my ProClip iPhone 5 or iPhone 5S mount in SA Mart.

https://www.proclipusa.com

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3672919

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Facebook app just update to support the higher res and holy balls does it make a difference.

does it still bend your battery over and buttfuck it?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna have to visit a Genius bar with all my tiny but significan problems and ask them to replace my device. This poo poo is out of control. Problems I've encountered; phone randomly assigning 50+% of my space to Other (a problem I think I have fixed by adding songs more slowly), the screen being very unresponsive out of nowhere, not charging properly, keyboards randomly disappearing (seem to have fixed this via removing the 3rd party keyboard apps) and a new one, the volume notification sticking on the screen and not allowing me to lower the volume. This is bizarre. When I move the volume slider down, or lessen it via the side buttons, the slider just goes back up to full of its own accord. So strange. Anyone encoutered this?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
First things first, have you wiped it and NOT restored any sort of backup?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I've wiped it and restored a couple of times, firstly from the backup on my laptop/itunes, second time (most recently) from iCloud.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Start a new itunes library and add your music to it. Then sync.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Whirlwind Jones posted:

And still have the loving useless Messages button which exists only to piss you off and annoy you into downloading their messaging app. Or not. I never will.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

No. 6 posted:

And still have the loving useless Messages button which exists only to piss you off and annoy you into downloading their messaging app. Or not. I never will.

Just use Paper? I haven't touched the actual FB app in a long time, just only to login and that's all really.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Not available in the UK.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

No. 6 posted:

And it still won't default to Most Recent, instead going with Top Stories which for me is usually a couple of friend posts from days ago and then a bunch of "something you liked was mentioned in an unrelated post!" garbage

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

There was some rumblings in the summer that AirPlay to an Apple TV wouldn't require WiFi with iOS8. Can anyone confirm?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

sudo rm -rf posted:

There was some rumblings in the summer that AirPlay to an Apple TV wouldn't require WiFi with iOS8. Can anyone confirm?
Does any version of an AppleTV support bluetooth?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

sudo rm -rf posted:

Yes but it only works with ATV3 IIRC.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

It still streams over wifi, but it uses an ad-hoc connection rather than both devices having to be on the same network.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Does any version of an AppleTV support bluetooth?

They all do but it's going to run ad-hoc wifi instead of requiring a separate wifi signal.

Edit: God drat it!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Woah, it certainly does :stare:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

chaosbreather posted:

It still streams over wifi, but it uses an ad-hoc connection rather than both devices having to be on the same network.
How is that preferable? Serious question I don't understand the technological benefits of it but it seems dumb to have to disconnect either your Apple TV or your idevice from your current wifi connection in order to stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

How is that preferable? Serious question I don't understand the technological benefits of it but it seems dumb to have to disconnect either your Apple TV or your idevice from your current wifi connection in order to stream.
You don't have to do anything. You don't have to disconnect from your existing Wi-Fi network. :psyduck:

The point is that they don't have to be on the same network in the first place, which is the idea behind a conference room Apple TV -- really any ATV you want publicly discoverable.