Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Piell posted:

Whose name is Reed KELLY

This fuckin show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Metropolis posted:

I get why they voted Rocker off. Like other people said, he's unreliable. He was literally telling the person they were trying to blindside what they were doing. Not something you want on your team if you want to make it to the end. He's decent in challenges, but not actually amazing. I don't think there's anybody they could have voted off that would have significantly *increased* their chances of winning challenges.

Rocker also openly admitted he had a secret deal with a member of the other team, meaning, as a member of his guy alliance, that he has post-merge plans with 3 people other than you and has already undermined one of your plans to cement that alliance, even if he ultimately went along with it. It also means that if you make a secret deal with him he will tell everyone.

He also had an immunity idol, and if a person gets to hang onto an idol with everyone knowing they have it for too long they have a very strong tendency to gain control over the game or at least their alliance. You don't want someone actually in control of the game other than you.

This all adds up to someone you don't really want in the game. And there's a bit if a time window in the heat of the moment where everyone's been riled up against him, and he probably believes most people don't know about his idol and also his own alliance wants to stay strong or whatever. Post-tribal-shakeup, the idol becomes more powerful both because people don't have their original alliances to latch onto, and because he is more likely to actually play it. Dude had an idol, it wasn't a smooth-sailing "keep the strong guy around till the merge" situation. They could either vote him out now or risk that idol being turned against them. And now, there is a very good chance that idol is re-hidden at their camp and one of them has a chance of getting it.

If I were on this season I'd love to be in final tribal next to Rocker, but I think his own alliance rightfully didn't feel like they could get there. Plus voting John out kind of helps brings the girls back into the fold. You don't want people on your tribe who are eager to vote for you after a shake-up. At least with this vote they can say hey, I know I was against you before but that was just how the alliances ended up, you know you can reason with me and I have made votes in your favour before when you were potentially on the chopping block.

You're right. They're better off with Baylor in challenges. Getting Pagonged isn't the end of literally all of their shot at the million, right? That's how it works?

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Met posted:

You're right. They're better off with Baylor in challenges. Getting Pagonged isn't the end of literally all of their shot at the million, right? That's how it works?

Pagonging is a lot less likely in blood vs water because of all the relationships going into the merge that people normally don't have in other seasons.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
A beefy meathead is far from a golden ticket to challenge wins. Case in point, the very tribe that just voted off a beefy meathead.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Met posted:

This has come up the past few seasons whenever the losing tribe decides to shake things up and vote out a stronger guy early on (Brad Culpepper, Garrett, now Rocker). People like Rocker are an asset in challenges only in very specific circumstances, and it's not uncommon for their big size to be a disadvantage. He was useful in climbing the walls in week 1 and throwing the ball in week 3, but actively lost them both the reward and immunity challenges in week 2. If the tribe is losing most challenges with Rocker anyway, then his biggest supposed value isn't all that useful anyway. It's not like they have to vote off less members if they come CLOSE to winning every challenge. And if he really was sucking as much energy from the tribe as some of the confessionals indicated, booting him might actually help challenge performance. Note that the last two seasons, the losing tribe WON their first immunity challenge right after voting out Culpepper / Garrett, even though both of those challenge had big physical components.

The other thing to consider is that, historically speakings, Pagongings are much more likely when tribes enter the merge at similar numbers rather than with lopsided numbers (post-merge spoilers for recent seasons: compare 19, 25, and 28 with 22, 23, and 24). In some sense, it's an advantage to go into the merge with a very small, loyal, dependable core and try to take advantage of the turmoil and inner-conflict within the winning tribe. If each tribe has been to enough Tribal Councils to vote out it's inner minority alliance, there's no room to flip at the merge and a Pagonging is much more likely.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

mancalamania posted:

If the tribe is losing most challenges with Rocker anyway

Counterpoint: Baylor took the final shot of the orange team for some absurd reason.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
I don't know how they decided on the order of pairs to go first, if it was selected or some random draw, but having your weakest pair go first, and thus get to play 2 out of 5 matches, while your stronger/strongest pair goes last and plays only 1 of 5 matches is a sure fire way to end up at tribal council.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
There are more matches then we are shown on TV so that editors have more exciting matches to pick from when airing the show. The actual number of "points" to win the challenges are rarely what we are told. You have to pay attention to when Jeff is actually talking on screen and when Jeff's voice-over is telling the rules to the viewers.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Previously on SURVIVOR!

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Welp I guess we're gonna see more of the other tribe this week considering most of the "Previously on" was about them

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And away we go!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hooray, I can livewatch this week.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

THE FUCKIN FLINT

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
They found the flint? :laffo:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Well at least now they have two flints! :downs:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Kelley is talking. She's clearly gone tonight.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Drew... You are gonna get your rear end voted out.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously, what a bunch of idiots. Of course the flint is most likely in the fire pit. That's where you use it.

I knew it turn up in the pit when they said they lost it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Yes, try to barter with Jeff, that worked out great last time.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Drew throwing himself under the bus pretty hard these last two episodes.

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

You know why no one else wants to do those things dude? Because they're incredibly incredibly dumb.

Btw has he told his tribe he's the "leader" yet?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

:lol: at blue team applauding and Julie ready to kill some one.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
:lol::lol::lol: standing ovation for booting Rocker

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It's pretty lovely to applaud John getting voted out. Not because of him, but because one of your tribemates is going to be very sad and you're just ignoring that.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Jeff is loving this whole trade.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

What's your return policy Jeff?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Survivor: I am taunting you.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've never seen so many people bury their faces in their hands

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Look buddy just because Jeff is wearing blue doesn't make this Walmart

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
so can you just not compete in these challenges if your loved one is gone?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Look buddy just because Jeff is wearing blue doesn't make this Walmart

haha

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This catapult thing is hilarious

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

blue squares posted:

This catapult thing is hilarious

Jesus christ that tiny basket in the centre

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?

Lone Goat posted:

Jesus christ that tiny basket in the centre

Im waiting for ELAPSED TIME 2 HOURS

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pretty impressive how quickly they have picked it up

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

More than a lot of other challenges, I'm curious how many attempts they cut out. Using this little catapult seems like it'd be drat near impossible, but they got the hang of it fast.

rafington
Aug 21, 2008
Should shoot for the hardest one first, that way you can shoot 5 in a row without having to run back and forth a million times.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Eat all the food while Drew is gone!

e: aww

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Drew is going to steal Jon's girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I was gonna say they couldn't be the worst tribe ever, but I think even Ulong won reward challenges. is this now 6/7 losses?

• Locked thread