Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed that. I especially loved Ichabod's cheesy lines at the beginning. "Let us unleash our own horsemen."

The Pied Piper's design kicked rear end too. That's one thing I absolutely love about this show, all of the monsters look so drat cool. Next week's looks great too. The Weeping Lady was it?

I am a little worried about the "three weeks" bit at the end. Just three more episodes until the midseason break? Come on, it just got here. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

NeuroticLich posted:

I enjoyed that. I especially loved Ichabod's cheesy lines at the beginning. "Let us unleash our own horsemen."

I love that it turns out he was just hamming it up and being dramatic on purpose. I know it's been said any times already but they play the "man from the past doing future stuff" so perfectly.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

KilGrey posted:

I love that it turns out he was just hamming it up and being dramatic on purpose. I know it's been said any times already but they play the "man from the past doing future stuff" so perfectly.

The best part is that it never quite goes the way you figure it will go. When he's first riding in Abigale's car in the first episode he sidesteps the usual "My Lord! A horse less carriage? What sorcery is this?!" crap and starts playing with the power windows because, hey, that's really kind of neat.

In this one you expect him to go in fits and starts, almost hitting things and generally being every new driver ever. Instead, Abbie mentions that Japanese thing and Ichabod blows through the driving lesson like the professional stunt driver (who was actually driving the car).

johntfs fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 14, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That cafe needs to fire whoever made that cappuchino. I haven't seen coffee defiled in such a manner since the 90s.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Goddamn, grind their bones to make my bread :witch:

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I want the next episode to start with Walternate snorting unidentified white lines off a mirror...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

NeuroticLich posted:

The Pied Piper's design kicked rear end too. That's one thing I absolutely love about this show, all of the monsters look so drat cool.

Someone in the costume department's seen Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

NeuroticLich posted:

The Pied Piper's design kicked rear end too. That's one thing I absolutely love about this show, all of the monsters look so drat cool.
It helps that Colonial America isn't a time and place that has been heavily mined by other horror or action movies and shows yet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

For the benefit of us non-Americans, is this episode based off a real legend of the Revolutionary War? Because, for me, it wasn't very captivating and felt like serious filler. I also thought the Piper looked kind of lovely.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

For the benefit of us non-Americans, is this episode based off a real legend of the Revolutionary War? Because, for me, it wasn't very captivating and felt like serious filler. I also thought the Piper looked kind of lovely.

As an American, gently caress if I know.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin

It's a German story applied to the Revolution. Don't blame us for you not knowing.

Edit: How the gently caress do you people not know the story of the Pied Piper?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If it wasn't a Disney cartoon, I probably don't know it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a German story applied to the Revolution. Don't blame us for you not knowing.

I know about the Pied Piper of Hamelin. I'm asking in particular if there was some random legend from the war about a ~*~magical faerie satyr~*~ whose pan-pipes assassinated a company of Regulars. Given how the show has previously attempted to ground its weirdness in reality, I was curious if there really was a story from the war about that.

I guess I should over-explain what I'm asking next time so morons don't assume I'm even dumber than they are :rolleyes:

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
No. There also weren't cursed Judas coins during the revolution either. HTH

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fariz posted:

No. There also weren't cursed Judas coins during the revolution either. HTH

The plot to destabilize American currency through counterfeiting was a real thing though.

Edit: I'm watching the episode now and I'm sure Orlando Jones must have loved filming that ten-second "Go buck wild and kill a bunch of guys" scene

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 15, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The plot to destabilize American currency through counterfeiting was a real thing though.

Edit: I'm watching the episode now and I'm sure Orlando Jones must have loved filming that ten-second "Go buck wild and kill a bunch of guys" scene

I follow him on Tumblr and yeah, he really did.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Orlando Jones absolutely loves being on this show in general, really.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

Orlando Jones absolutely loves being on A show in general, really.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I said this about Henry earlier, but whatever, they need to split his chatacter in two so we can have Badass Evil Irving and Badass Good Irving on the show at the same time.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

nine-gear crow posted:

I said this about Henry earlier, but whatever, they need to split his chatacter in two so we can have Badass Evil Irving and Badass Good Irving on the show at the same time.
Preferably while John Cho: Infernal Intern looks on, just furious. "Why didn't I get the awesome soul split? gently caress this, I'm going to smoke some weed out of a murderer's skull."

Assuming Moloch didn't tear his soul to pieces, that is. Although he's creepy and pathetic, John Cho: Infernal Intern kinda grew on me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
John Cho: Infernal Intern will go the way of Enos and get a spinoff once Selfie gets canceled.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Tupperwarez posted:

Although he's creepy and pathetic, John Cho: Infernal Intern kinda grew on me.
I would guess that Irving is going to become Andy's replacement. Same basic situation, he doesn't want to be a bad guy (though Andy wasn't quite as adamant about that) but Moloch OWNS him now, so he doesn't really get to say no.

Also, it just felt odd that last week they brought a Franklinstein's monster to life using the severed head of the Horseman of Death, which is now out there somewhere doing who-knows-what... and nobody seems particularly concerned about that this week. If the Kindred even got a mention, I missed it.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 16, 2014

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

One day they'll go to Hawley's store and the Kindred will be there just chilling in a display case.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Radio! posted:

One day they'll go to Hawley's store and the Kindred will be there just chilling in a display case.

Better yet, just doing random office poo poo for Hawley. Making coffee, sorting papers, managing accounts... "Yeah, turns out he's just a whiz with Excel. He's still trying to get the hang of PowerPoint, but still, who'da thunk it, huh?"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What if Henry eats the Kindred? :ohdear:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Wait what if Hawley is the Kindred with all his skin grown back?? :aaaaa:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Radio! posted:

Wait what if Hawley is the Kindred with all his skin grown back?? :aaaaa:

I know you're joking, but Hawley was working with Corbin before the series started.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Robot Hobo posted:

I would guess that Irving is going to become Andy's replacement. Same basic situation, he doesn't want to be a bad guy (though Andy wasn't quite as adamant about that) but Moloch OWNS him now, so he doesn't really get to say no.

Also, it just felt odd that last week they brought a Franklinstein's monster to life using the severed head of the Horseman of Death, which is now out there somewhere doing who-knows-what... and nobody seems particularly concerned about that this week. If the Kindred even got a mention, I missed it.

Andy was Death's servant and Irving is deaths.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Edit: How the gently caress do you people not know the story of the Pied Piper?
The best adaptation of Pied Piper is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69V__a49xtw

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lycus posted:

Orlando Jones absolutely loves being on this show in general, really.

I still remember him from Father of the Pride. How about a tall, frosty glass of ... murder?

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I was pretty disappointed with the latest seasons for Orphan Black, Bates Motel, Orange is the New Black, and Hannibal (There were some amazing parts but I just felt like none of them reached the potential of the prior seasons). Without spoilers, is Sleepy Hollow season 2 gonna let me down? :ohdear:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

bowser posted:

I was pretty disappointed with the latest seasons for Orphan Black, Bates Motel, Orange is the New Black, and Hannibal (There were some amazing parts but I just felt like none of them reached the potential of the prior seasons). Without spoilers, is Sleepy Hollow season 2 gonna let me down? :ohdear:

Not even a little bit.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

bowser posted:

Yes. Not because of anything relating to Sleepy Hollow. But if you didn't enjoy S2 of Hannibal, I suspect you've lost your ability to experience pleasure.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just in case you guys don't know, Amazon has season 1 for $20!

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks
I'm wondering what the consequences of Washington Irving not existing in this show's universe are (but otherwise things are as similar as possible; all other major authors do actually appear to exist in this fictional world).

The obvious ones are that the short stories The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip van Winkle don't exist. The latter not existing is why Ichabod Crane is referred to as "Captain America" and not "Rip van Winkle", as a metaphor for someone long asleep. (Heh, I didn't realize until I wrote that sentence that both Steve Rogers and Buck Rogers pulled a Rip van Winkle.)

It's likely no one in this world is going to think that people thought the world was flat and Christopher Columbus proved it wasn't. That was fanciful invention of Irving that caught on in the real world; Irving wrote loads of stuff on Spain partly because he served as ambassador to Spain.

Because of that, it might also be the case that other American authors were never inspired to visit Spain, either. Ernest Hemingway might never have been inspired to spend so much time in Spain, so we might not get The Sun Also Rises, which means the Running of the Bulls is not well-known to this world's United States. The Spanish Civil War would still have occurred, and still attracted people, so we still might get For Whom the Bell Tolls though. Let's see ... this world's version of Westeros might be mysteriously missing Dorne (Irving is partly responsible for making sure the world has heard of things like Alhambra).

Someone else has to be thought of as the first major American fiction writer. I'm guessing James Fenimore Cooper.

I can't think of anything else. Random TV episodes and such aren't really all that significant.

I'm probably overthinking this, but this is fun anyway. :v:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So I was talking to a friend the other day and all of a sudden, she whipped out a Sleepy Hollow novel out of her purse. Is this poo poo for real? She said it was canon or something but what the gently caress, it was an original story too.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That would be The Secret Journal of Ichabod Crane. I don't know much about it, but there was an interview with the author on the Sleepycast.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Waffleman_ posted:

That would be The Secret Journal of Ichabod Crane. I don't know much about it, but there was an interview with the author on the Sleepycast.

I'm holding out for a Tom Mison-read audiobook version of it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Well hello there Tom Mison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyeYs8JPqdY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Sober posted:

So I was talking to a friend the other day and all of a sudden, she whipped out a Sleepy Hollow novel out of her purse. Is this poo poo for real? She said it was canon or something but what the gently caress, it was an original story too.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

Is it Sleepy Hollow: Children of the Revolution? If so yeah, it's an official novel.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22318426-sleepy-hollow

Waffleman_ posted:

From what I read on the fan Tumblr, it's basically Ichabod journaling most of the stuff we've seen on the show with some other things expanded upon.

• Locked thread