Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Has anyone else found BeyondPod to be somewhat... buggy? Every month or so, I will find it has 'forgotten' which podcasts in a feed I've already listened to, and will have marked the entire feed unread, resulting in it downloading episodes 1, 2, and 3.

Really wish I could find something better that still had as many options.

I've had that happen a few times, but it seems to always be the same feeds and it seems to be reups of old episodes.

Ninja edit: my ideal podcast app would be BeyondPod, but with Pocket Casts "all unread" tab. I HATE having to go feed by feed marking new episodes as read each morning when I know Pocket Casts has a single section where I could batch download the ones I want and mark the rest as read.

XIII fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mogomra posted:

I notice that I only get notifications like that when I should already be where I need to go.

If I have a calendar appointment somewhere at 9am, I'll get a notification that I should leave by 8:30 at like 9:01. :ughh:

It used to show up in the cards, "X minutes to work" or "X minutes to home." Now its in the notification bar at certain times of day, but never in the cards.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Bobulus posted:

Has anyone else found BeyondPod to be somewhat... buggy? Every month or so, I will find it has 'forgotten' which podcasts in a feed I've already listened to, and will have marked the entire feed unread, resulting in it downloading episodes 1, 2, and 3.

Really wish I could find something better that still had as many options.
It hasn't happened to me yet. Maybe it falls down on handling certain feeds?

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I'm in search of a Twitter app other than the default one. I tried Talon, but I wasn't a fan. What have you guys tried and liked?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

AmericanGeeksta posted:

I'm in search of a Twitter app other than the default one. I tried Talon, but I wasn't a fan. What have you guys tried and liked?

Plume is pretty good.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Fenix is the one I like most.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Decius posted:

Fenix is the one I like most.

I get the occasional errors with the widget. Just says that it stopped working. I'm on a M7, has this happened to you? It got to the point that I just removed it because it was crashing almost any time I was on the same screen as the widget.

Other than that, it is definitely my favorite client I've tried.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What sort of functionality are you looking for in the app? Or are you just looking for a different "feel" (completely legitimate, and one of the major deciding factors in almost all of my app choices).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

calandryll posted:

I get the occasional errors with the widget. Just says that it stopped working. I'm on a M7, has this happened to you?

I don't use the widget, but I tried it for a couple of minutes on my Moto X, worked fine, but maybe it simply takes time to crash.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

dik-dik posted:

What sort of functionality are you looking for in the app? Or are you just looking for a different "feel" (completely legitimate, and one of the major deciding factors in almost all of my app choices).

Push notifications are big for me, and the thing that made me want to get away from the default app was their choice to show favorites and such in my TL. Otherwise, I'm generally a fan of simple, minimalist approaches to things.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well, you could back out of the app instead of hitting the home button when you're done using it, or you could reply via the quick reply in the notification bar.
Too many screen touches either way. For me it makes sense that if I have a new text, that I ignored when it was received, I should only have to fire up the app and it would default to the unread conversation. Give me a setting, like I said I'd pay for it.

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

Nintendo Kid posted:

VNC servers exist for Android that can work for directly controlling. They almost always need root. I think you'd have to jailbreak the iPod Touch for a compatible VNC client to use with it.

Thanks! I hadn't even considered that there might be a VNC server for Android, and not just VNC clients. The non-jailbreak ios clients I found work well enough to connect to the TouchPad VNC server for our purposes.

Now if I could find an app that runs in the background and allows the ipod to view from the TouchPad's camera, we'll be all set.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Have replies sent via Pushbullet stopped displaying in your texting app for anyone else?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So I just moved from my crappy old iphone to android and I'm having trouble getting my icloud email address to work with the email client. I know that's probably because of the whole stupid apple vs google crap, but I need to read my dang emails. Is there an email app that has native support for icloud, hotmail (old rear end email I use for signing up for websites and poo poo) and gmail?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cat doter posted:

So I just moved from my crappy old iphone to android and I'm having trouble getting my icloud email address to work with the email client. I know that's probably because of the whole stupid apple vs google crap, but I need to read my dang emails. Is there an email app that has native support for icloud, hotmail (old rear end email I use for signing up for websites and poo poo) and gmail?
This might not be the best answer, but running those emails into multiple GMail accounts then forwarding them to your main account would likely be the easiest way to do this.

Edit: I didn't read through to the end to see where you're already using GMail. Just have your GMail account grab it then apply a label to keep things searchable.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I'm looking for a scheduling/reminder app, which lets me set my own recurring tasks as well as appointments and reminds me of them on the day they are due and/or a few days before. Basically everything from "gym every Tue, Fri, Sun" (so every Tuesday, "gym" would be one of the things on my checklist) to "you have two more days do this for work". Can anyone recommend me a good one? It doesn't have to be free as long as it works.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Google calendar is good for that. You can set recurring events and decide whether or not they have an alarm.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

greatn posted:

Google calendar is good for that. You can set recurring events and decide whether or not they have an alarm.

I'm using Google Calendar; in fact, the reason why I'm looking for an app like that is because I want to trim my Calendar and get rid of poo poo like gym days, "practice bass" and so forth. I just like check lists, if an app told me in the morning that I have four things to do today and I can tick them off, that would be swell. I know these apps exist, I just don't know what they're called.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm looking for a scheduling/reminder app, which lets me set my own recurring tasks as well as appointments and reminds me of them on the day they are due and/or a few days before. Basically everything from "gym every Tue, Fri, Sun" (so every Tuesday, "gym" would be one of the things on my checklist) to "you have two more days do this for work". Can anyone recommend me a good one? It doesn't have to be free as long as it works.
I use the stock Calendar app for my appointments/deadlines. It can do all of this. And I use a nifty widget on my home screen so I don't forget what events I have coming up.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If it's clogging up your calendar I think you can make multiple calendars and multiple widgets that display only the calendars you want. I'm not saying this to contradict your want of a dedicated app, I just don't know of any.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm using Google Calendar; in fact, the reason why I'm looking for an app like that is because I want to trim my Calendar and get rid of poo poo like gym days, "practice bass" and so forth. I just like check lists, if an app told me in the morning that I have four things to do today and I can tick them off, that would be swell. I know these apps exist, I just don't know what they're called.

What about something like Any.do task list? I know Google has a tasks thing but no app for it - you have to go through the website.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Check out Wunderlist.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Is there any way to force the artists/albums/songs in the Play Music app to sync with what I see on the Google Play Music web page? I'm mostly concerned about album art - all or most of my stuff that I uploaded from iTunes had lovely blurry album art, and I was able to change most of them to a higher res image which displays sometimes in the phone app and sometimes not. Not sure what the deciding factor is. The Refresh option in the app settings doesn't seem to do much.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Is there a good way to delete music from your Google music library yet? Mine has needed to be cleaned out for an awful long time but I've never bothered because it required manually accessing and deleting each album individually from the within the web client.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

owl_pellet posted:

Is there any way to force the artists/albums/songs in the Play Music app to sync with what I see on the Google Play Music web page? I'm mostly concerned about album art - all or most of my stuff that I uploaded from iTunes had lovely blurry album art, and I was able to change most of them to a higher res image which displays sometimes in the phone app and sometimes not. Not sure what the deciding factor is. The Refresh option in the app settings doesn't seem to do much.

Log into the google music website on your computer, right click on the album and you should be able to set it to use google's.

It's a pretty great feature.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Log into the google music website on your computer, right click on the album and you should be able to set it to use google's.

It's a pretty great feature.

Well I did that, and it had some nice looking art for most of the albums I had crappy art for. The problem is that what is displayed on the web is not necessarily being displayed in the app.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

owl_pellet posted:

Well I did that, and it had some nice looking art for most of the albums I had crappy art for. The problem is that what is displayed on the web is not necessarily being displayed in the app.

Ahh, that's strange. Maybe the app on your phone is preferring whatever metadata is embedded into the song over what's on Gmusic? If you have any music "pinned" to your phone, try deleting and redownloading them.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

cat doter posted:

My icloud email works fine without a workaround or anything in the basic email app that android uses.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ahh, that's strange. Maybe the app on your phone is preferring whatever metadata is embedded into the song over what's on Gmusic? If you have any music "pinned" to your phone, try deleting and redownloading them.

Yeah I tried that too. I deleted all the local music on my phone and tried redownloading it after making all the web changes I wanted. It took like 3 days to finish. It may have helped some but there are still definitely a portion of albums that just don't want to have their album art updated. Thanks for answering.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anyone use those alarm apps that force you to complete a puzzle or do a stupid dance move in order to turn them off? Are your lives better for it?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Anyone use those alarm apps that force you to complete a puzzle or do a stupid dance move in order to turn them off? Are your lives better for it?

I used timely for that and I was like gently caress this after about a week. I'd rather just set two alarms

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

What just happened to the Office Mobile app? Why do I have to log in again? Why is it warning me that my credentials will be in plain text?

What's New posted:

Support for Office 365 operated by 21Vianet.

Uh.

I mean yeah, I got it to keep using my existing login by crashing it, clearing its cache, then syncing OneNote and reloading Office (which is how it worked before), but I'm not sure if this is normal Microsoft-on-not-Microsoft strangeness or a legitimate 'uh oh'.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

I do and its kept me from oversleeping a lot.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Chas McGill posted:

I use Alarm Clock Extreme with its math equation mode, and it keeps me from over sleeping. I tend to turn off alarms and go back to sleep if they don't force me awake, so it's the perfect thing. I'm thinking of getting one that only turns off when I tap an NFC chip, so I can't stay in the warm covers.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

TwistedNails posted:

My icloud email works fine without a workaround or anything in the basic email app that android uses.

How'd you get it to work? I've googled around and the solutions I've found don't seem to work.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody know why my phone (on Verizon) wouldn't prompt people to leave voicemail anymore? Could it have something to do with the recent Google Voice integration with Hangouts?

Not sure if this is a better question for here or the phone thread.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Quick Google maps question: it used to save my current search/route when when I turned the screen off or switched to a different app, now it clears everything if I take the focus away. Is there a setting I am missing for this? Don't want to have to redo the search/route every time I turn the screen off. Tried to Google it but just got stuff about saving routes offline.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

cat doter posted:

How'd you get it to work? I've googled around and the solutions I've found don't seem to work.

I just added the account like any other account to the email app. Not sure if my galaxy s4 email app is the same as stock android but it works for me by just adding the account.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I use Alarm Clock Extreme with its math equation mode, and it keeps me from over sleeping. I tend to turn off alarms and go back to sleep if they don't force me awake, so it's the perfect thing. I'm thinking of getting one that only turns off when I tap an NFC chip, so I can't stay in the warm covers.

Yeah I use the same (maths mode, not NFC) and it works well for me.

I have it need 1 solved to snooze or 3 in a row to disable the alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

VodeAndreas posted:

Yeah I use the same (maths mode, not NFC) and it works well for me.

I have it need 1 solved to snooze or 3 in a row to disable the alarm.

I do the same, on the hardest setting. It sometimes throws things like 6x4 in there, but 3 in a row is very unlikely.

• Locked thread