Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

totalnewbie posted:

Before you do that, why don't you tell us about some of your interviews? What sort of questions were you asked, where did you stumble, where did you think you did well, etc.

That's the thing: Every time I do an interview I think I did a great job with it. But since I've yet to get a job offer, I'm wondering if I'm messing up without even realizing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

That's the thing: Every time I do an interview I think I did a great job with it. But since I've yet to get a job offer, I'm wondering if I'm messing up without even realizing it.

How many interviews have you had?

Don't go too hard on yourself. It's in our nature to torture ourselves over these things. But the truth is you just don't know what's on the other side of the table. May you did ace all those interviews and there was just someone genuinely more qualified each time (keep in mind you're almost always competing with 2-3 other top candidates). Maybe you do need to work on some things. Maybe funding for the position vanished in mid-air. Maybe the company is so dysfunctional that it literally takes 9 months from interview to hire someone on. I've had all of those happen to me when hiring.

I've had some truly horrible interviews and some truly horrible interviewers. It's just a learning experience.

Best way people ITT can help you is to answer totalnewbie's questions and we can go from there.

I've never heard of much magic happening with "interview coaching" honestly, although I've never heard of horror stories either. The one thing I can say with confidence is generally stay away from college career centers' advice. The best people to coach you are people who are/have done hiring in the field you're looking at, OBVIOUSLY easier said to get in touch with these people and get them to help you, than done. Practicing some questions with your friends/family, lame as it may seem, is actually a great idea. All the technical knowledge in the world won't help you if you're hyper-nervous (everyone gets nervous), cold, your body language shows you don't want to be there, you're unprepared, etc., and even people who don't know the details can help you with that stuff.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Before leaving for an interview I noticed I had a spot of blood on the neck of my shirt (I had an accident while shaving). I had time to change but if I hadn't noticed it before leaving the house, should I have mentioned it? make a joke or something like that? or just ignore it?

Also, next week I have a "psychotechnical" evaluation, that, if prior experience works now, would be some logic tests, personality questions and an interview. I've had some issues with those once before (I guess all the applicants failed since the company put the job offer again) so I could use some suggestions for that.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

radlum posted:

I've had some issues with those once before (I guess all the applicants failed since the company put the job offer again) so I could use some suggestions for that.

If they ask you about a tortoise on its back, baking in the hot sun, the correct answer is to turn it over.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010

posh spaz posted:

If they ask you about a tortoise on its back, baking in the hot sun, the correct answer is to turn it over.

Also, don't tell them about the recurring dreams with the unicorn.

Content: Thanks to this thread and the LinkedIn thread, I have found a new role that's interessting and relevant. Thanks to the OP and all contributors! :)

The only advice I'd have is always prepare for competency-based interview questions, even if the interview isn't decalred to be competency-based. Having a few good, positive anecdotes for questions along the line of -

* Tell me about a time you've had a dispute with a colleague?

* Tell me about a time you've had to work with unhappy members of the public or staff members from another company?

* Tell me about a time you've had to persuade a colleage of your point of view?

* Tell me about a time when you've had some negative feedback or criticism at work?

Will always hold you in good stead. Likewise, although you might be able to talk about anything on your resume, having a little paragraph-narrative about each major item on your CV would be helpful -
of course you won't repeat these out parrot-style, you'll improvise and adapt to the moment, but having it rehearsed a little in your mind means you aren't grasping for a phrase at a difficult time.

Also, try to be prepared for a difficult counter-questions; when I was recounting the story about a dispute with a colleague, who had asked me to do something (potentially) dangerous, having stated that it was all resolved happily between us in the end, he asked me why I hadn't taken it further up the command chain.

Likewise, maybe in retrospect it would have been wise to have a couple of stories that have different outcomes so you can pick one that's more appropriate to the line of questioning - you do, over the course of the interview, get an idea of what the interviewer wants to hear about.

radlum posted:

I have an interview in a company where I just realized one of my former co workers now works. We weren't close but got along pretty well and he seemed like a nice guy. Should I mention that I know that guy? I mean, he doesn't have a managing position (he is basically on the same level of the position I'm applying for), but maybe the interviewer could ask him about me and that could help or the interviewer could have a low opinion on the guy and being his acquaintance could harm my chances.

If you're worried about the political position of your former colleague, maybe you could just drop them a line and ask them? 'Hey buddy, do you get on with Blahdiblah? Would you be able to put a good word in for me?' or something like that; then you'd know the lay of the land without risking it blind. Even if they can't put in a good word for you might be able to get an insight into what the company is looking for in their chocolate teapot makers. :shrug:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

seacat posted:

Best way people ITT can help you is to answer totalnewbie's questions and we can go from there.

Okay, I'll try to sit down after work and do my best to answer (I get easily distracted :saddowns:)

EDIT: For those curious, right now I'm working as a billing clerk at a small law firm, but it's not what I want to make a career out of.

EDIT2: Okay, so among the questions that I get asked, the one that sticks out to me is 'why do you want to leave.' The reason is that I want to get my CPA license, but in order to do so I have to get a job in the field (accounting, finance, tax and a few other categories). I don't imagine this sounds good to interviewers, so coming up with something that sounds good while being sincere about it has not always been easy.

Another question that stands out to me is "tell me about something you accomplished." Because I've been doing a lot of office grunt work, there's nothing that on it's face sounds impressive. I've been advised that the trick is to take something and 'dress it up', but I think that when I try to explain an accomplishment it gets into :spergin: territory.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 8, 2014

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I have a stutter and speech impediment and I'm interviewing for a data analyst position for the state, should I mention it at all or just try my best?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
They're going to notice it at the interview. Just be otherwise confident and don't let it own you and it should be fine.

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again
What's a good answer to the question "Tell us about a time when you didn't get along with a co-worker and what you did to resolve the situation."

I got asked this in an interview last week and kind of stumbled around because I've always gotten along great with my colleagues. I have a 2nd round interview coming up and I'm afraid I will be asked this again.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Nothing wrong with saying you always get along with your co-workers, but maybe elaborate and talk about a time you had a disagreement on a particular project or something and how it was resolved.

That turns it from an okay answer into a good one.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I had kind of a weird interview. I'm not sure I handled it super well, but I made it through to the second round so I guess we'll see.

Interviewer: How much were you paid at [position]?"
Me: Well, I'd rather talk about the value I created for that firm. It was a different position (from the one I was interviewing for) in a different state several years ago. I'm more interested in discussing today's opportunities and the assets I bring to this position.
I: So, how much did you make?
M: The cost of living was different, the benefit structure was different, the hours, duties and responsibilities were different, so comparing my former compensation to this current position would be like apples to oranges.
I: So, gross, what was it?
M: It was about $XXk per year.
I: That's really good, why would you leave that job?
M: I didn't want to work in retail management for the next two decades, which is why I was willing to take a lower-paying job in an industry I wanted to work in. I'm familiar with the pay range listed in the job opening, and that range is in line with my salary expectations.

I'm not really sure why they cared so much about my former compensation. Are they just trying to figure out the bare minimum they'd be able to pay me?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

posh spaz posted:

I'm not really sure why they cared so much about my former compensation. Are they just trying to figure out the bare minimum they'd be able to pay me?

Yup.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

They already gave a tight ($5k window) pay range, which I agreed to in the pre-interview phone call. Is that a red flag?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

If they gave you a range, previous salary less relevant, so no sense in trying to awkwardly avoid mentioning it.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

posh spaz posted:

They already gave a tight ($5k window) pay range, which I agreed to in the pre-interview phone call. Is that a red flag?

It would make me a little bit uneasy. Pay ranges advertised in job postings and even discussed in interviews aren't some sort of legally binding contract. This isn't your situation but if for example they are advertising 50-55K and find out that you make 35K they may make you an offer of 45, betting that you're probably going to take it 'cause even though it's outside the initial range that's a pretty decent pay raise. They can then make up whatever bullshit reason they want about their funding being cut, emergency spending in the department, whatever it is, because they know they hold all the cards.

Honestly you handled it about as well as anyone could have. Its pretty lovely but the best you can do is dodge the question and hope they leave it alone. What your current position pays should have no bearing on what offer they make you. I don't know of a good reason to ask that question than to try to lowball you.

Also like you said it depends on benefits, commute, quality of work, work/life balance, loads of other poo poo. I am not going to move to a toxic firm for an extra 5K a year. Idiot managers get get dollar signs in their eyes and assume gross salary is the only thing that matters.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

seacat posted:

It would make me a little bit uneasy. Pay ranges advertised in job postings and even discussed in interviews aren't some sort of legally binding contract.

Also like you said it depends on benefits, commute, quality of work, work/life balance, loads of other poo poo. I am not going to move to a toxic firm for an extra 5K a year. Idiot managers get get dollar signs in their eyes and assume gross salary is the only thing that matters.

Yeah, if they try to make an offer below what they advertised I'll tell them to get bent. We'll see. Maybe I'd take it, let them train me, then find a better job ASAP. The baffling thing to me, after working in HR, I know how expensive turnover/search costs in hiring professional employees is. Trying to lowball someone, paying them below market rates is penny wise and pound foolish.

In other news, I got an unsolicited email this morning through the Bloomberg Aptitude Test. It briefly described a position and said "If you are interested in exploring further the available opportunities, please email ____ "

Would it be appropriate to give them my elevator pitch in the email? Should I attach a resume? Should I just ask for more information about the position?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Company I interviewed with now wants to perform the pre-screen for the job's required security clearance. I assume this is a Good Thing. :toot:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have an interview with an asset management firm tomorrow. This is a follow-up to a phone interview I had about a month ago.

They don't have a public website (it's to enhance client confidentiality they say :shrug:), so I can't do my normal pre-interview research as part of my prep. Does anyone have any general advice?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Does anybody have any ideas on how to best handle an internal promotion I'm applying for?

Long story short, I started out in this department a little over a year ago, and have been kicking rear end and taking names. I've moved up once already within the dept, and I recently was invited as a technical resource to a 2 day offsite meeting with several VPs/Directors/Managers etc to try to figure out the direction this project is going in.

Last Friday 2 positions were created above the spot I'm in, Project Lead. I feel like I'm an EXCELLENT candidate based on the job description, but I'm lacking on the requirements side. They're asking for 3 years with the company, and prefer a Bachelors. I, on the other hand, floated around for a long time as a temp and haven't even had my official 1 year anniversary, and lack any kind of degree. On the flip side, my manager doesn't have a degree either, so that might just be moot.

The main reason I'm posting is that my last 2 jobs were as a call center customer service peon and aside from some social skills I don't think they really add much to my resume. I left one of them over 5 years ago. How stripped down, or removed, can my past job experiences be for a resume on an internal job listing? What's the policy for that?

//edit

Also, for references on my move up within the dept I mostly had people, well, in my department. Do I need to go further outside or is it good to have team members talking me up?

Relentless fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 14, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I have an interview with an asset management firm tomorrow. This is a follow-up to a phone interview I had about a month ago.

They don't have a public website (it's to enhance client confidentiality they say :shrug:), so I can't do my normal pre-interview research as part of my prep. Does anyone have any general advice?

Do research on their competitors or other people in the sphere. You can probably figure out their AUM from an annual report or something like that, and can then use that to determine competition and to come in with some softball stuff like "i did research on _____ firm and they have approach X, do you use a similar approach?" and to frame it from a perspective of wanting to know about their philosophy to make sure it's compatible with yours.

You can also just not care, and say "do you have money? i like money." which seems to be about the level of discourse that recruiters from asset firms have sent to me. ("Do you like money? We have money!")

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Relentless posted:

Does anybody have any ideas on how to best handle an internal promotion I'm applying for?

Long story short, I started out in this department a little over a year ago, and have been kicking rear end and taking names. I've moved up once already within the dept, and I recently was invited as a technical resource to a 2 day offsite meeting with several VPs/Directors/Managers etc to try to figure out the direction this project is going in.

Last Friday 2 positions were created above the spot I'm in, Project Lead. I feel like I'm an EXCELLENT candidate based on the job description, but I'm lacking on the requirements side. They're asking for 3 years with the company, and prefer a Bachelors. I, on the other hand, floated around for a long time as a temp and haven't even had my official 1 year anniversary, and lack any kind of degree. On the flip side, my manager doesn't have a degree either, so that might just be moot.

The main reason I'm posting is that my last 2 jobs were as a call center customer service peon and aside from some social skills I don't think they really add much to my resume. I left one of them over 5 years ago. How stripped down, or removed, can my past job experiences be for a resume on an internal job listing? What's the policy for that?

//edit

Also, for references on my move up within the dept I mostly had people, well, in my department. Do I need to go further outside or is it good to have team members talking me up?

Can you describe at least in general terms the timeline of how you've moved up through temp/perm employee/?

If you only started your most recent position 3 months ago that is generally way too soon because it's not enough time to really learn anything and your boss may resent you leaving so soon.

IMO the first step is: if you have a good relationship with your boss talk to him/her and politely bring up, honestly and pleasantly, that you're interested in one of these 2 positions and think you're qualified and see what he/she thinks. Internal transfers/promotions play by a whole different set of rules.

I wouldn't worry too much about the experience/degree. Job ads are often wishlists. While it is definitely true that a bachelors is becoming necessary for certain jobs to the point of absurdity you already have a foot in the door in the company. Not sure why you're so worried about jobs that old on your resume -- if you really can't think of a way they make you stand out I might just not include them altogether.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

SirPhoebos posted:

Check their ADV2 on the SEC website. That's how I do all my research for similar jobs.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

seacat posted:

Can you describe at least in general terms the timeline of how you've moved up through temp/perm employee/?

If you only started your most recent position 3 months ago that is generally way too soon because it's not enough time to really learn anything and your boss may resent you leaving so soon.

IMO the first step is: if you have a good relationship with your boss talk to him/her and politely bring up, honestly and pleasantly, that you're interested in one of these 2 positions and think you're qualified and see what he/she thinks. Internal transfers/promotions play by a whole different set of rules.

I wouldn't worry too much about the experience/degree. Job ads are often wishlists. While it is definitely true that a bachelors is becoming necessary for certain jobs to the point of absurdity you already have a foot in the door in the company. Not sure why you're so worried about jobs that old on your resume -- if you really can't think of a way they make you stand out I might just not include them altogether.

So, the timeline is pretty weird. I got hired on as entry level for a temp project in December 2012. We finished in March and I floated around through 3 other departments until landing an entry level spot in my current dept in July.

The team I'm on was created in March 2013 and was supposed to be 8 people for a year and a half migrating databases from these other companies we had purchased years ago. 3 months in they realized this is WAY more work than planned, so they went up to 20 people, myself included. About a month after I was hired, the project manager was diagnosed with cancer and subsequently left, so in September my current manager stepped into the position. I've actually been on the team longer than her.

In January 2014 we had some of the original teammembers leave for other positions, and I stepped out of entry level and into the position the rest of the team was in. Which was easy because I ran out of my work to do, got bored and was already helping with their work.

Since then the project has increased in scope again, and we just had a couple of all day meetings with upper management about how to go forward, which I was the only member of my team besides my manager to attend.

One of the outcomes of that meeting was that we need to have another layer of responsibility between this team and a manager, since she also has another entire dept to run. So I'm applying to basically stay on the same team, with the same project, just in a position of greater responsibility.

As for the old jobs, I'm just kind of embarrassed that I spent 6 years at low level call center jobs before this. Not my finest hour.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Hi I've been unemployed for two years and did retail bullshit for four years before that after dropping out of college. I have no real skills, experience or education and am completely broke. Is it even possible to have a meaningful 'resume' with a pedigree like that or am I doomed to suck poo poo until/unless I get lucky?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Ixjuvin posted:

Hi I've been unemployed for two years and did retail bullshit for four years before that after dropping out of college. I have no real skills, experience or education and am completely broke. Is it even possible to have a meaningful 'resume' with a pedigree like that or am I doomed to suck poo poo until/unless I get lucky?

What kind of work are you looking for?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ixjuvin posted:

Who do you know that a) already has a job and b) would be willing to vouch for you as an employee?

Without a solid resume, a solid reference is your next best bet. If you've been a huge turd to a bunch of people, it may be more difficult to find such a thing but as long as you're not a Terrible Person, you must know at least one person who has a job in a capacity that could also employ a person such as yourself?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Fortunately I'm not a huge turd, but if you can envision your stereotypical weedy nerd who never really leaves the house I'm basically that guy. So I don't have connections with very many people either. I haven't really tried to pull anyone's strings in that direction for like a year though so it's probably worth doing! Working on job stuff just makes me feel like my head is full of cement :(

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Has anybody taken a psychometric test for a job before? I am going to be taking one and to be honest if it is anything thing like some of these sample tests online I am really under prepared. Hell I am an engineer, but I am really not use to solving problems so fast. Also some of these number series problems I am just drawing a blank on.

There seems to be a lot of practice exam for these things all over the place, do goons have any recommendations?

edit: This is a US based company, seems like most of these things are based in the UK. I don't know if that matters. Also I am assuming it is a numerical psychometric test. The e-mail I received said "math problems and number sequences to problems with word meanings". I think in that last one she meant word problems.

I really can't believe I am being flown across the country to take this thing :V. You think they would have done it before the final(third) interview.

EDITEDIT: apparently these are called "numerical reasoning tests".

Xeom fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 15, 2014

radlum
May 13, 2013
Tomorrow I have an interview at a company that I knew nothing about (since the job offer was for an "undisclosed corporation" and I just learned the name of the company after they called me). After doing some digging aroung online I noticed that they were/are clients of the law firm I used to work, 2 years ago.

I have a good relationship with my former bosses, but the company I'm applying for wasn't one of our clients. Since recommendations can be very useful, should I try to contact my former bosses so they can give me a recommendation (through the attorney in charge of that client)?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Xeom posted:

Has anybody taken a psychometric test for a job before? I am going to be taking one and to be honest if it is anything thing like some of these sample tests online I am really under prepared. Hell I am an engineer, but I am really not use to solving problems so fast. Also some of these number series problems I am just drawing a blank on.

There seems to be a lot of practice exam for these things all over the place, do goons have any recommendations?

edit: This is a US based company, seems like most of these things are based in the UK. I don't know if that matters. Also I am assuming it is a numerical psychometric test. The e-mail I received said "math problems and number sequences to problems with word meanings". I think in that last one she meant word problems.

I really can't believe I am being flown across the country to take this thing :V. You think they would have done it before the final(third) interview.

EDITEDIT: apparently these are called "numerical reasoning tests".

I did one of these a little while back. Have a Google for practice versions as there are plenty out there, but it should be "here is a data table and/or a graph, and here's a bunch of multiple choice questions about the data". For mine I needed to do percentages, ratios, different forms of average, extrapolate data on coal mine total supplies, mining rate and coal value into expected annual revenue, all that sort of thing. If you can do maths (and if you're an engineer I'm guessing you can) you'll probably be fine.

If there's a verbal/written reasoning test you'll get a paragraph of text and then a statement you'll have to say is true, false or impossible to determine from the information given, or just a question you have to answer based on the paragraph.

The timer on it makes it a bit stressful (like being back at school doing exams) but they shouldn't give you too much trouble.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

What's the best way to approach discussing why you left your previous job when it was because of budget cuts and you weren't "fired" as such but asked politely to take a bunch of money and go. Bonus points for not sounding bitter. I am super bitter.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Is there a stigma around taking a buyout offer?

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

I don't think so, it's tech and people are pretty pragmatic about that sort of thing. It's just something I'm not comfortable with (yet).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You were already looking for better opportunities for growth/learning so the buyout offer was a happy coincidence?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

lookslikerain posted:

What's the best way to approach discussing why you left your previous job when it was because of budget cuts and you weren't "fired" as such but asked politely to take a bunch of money and go. Bonus points for not sounding bitter. I am super bitter.
"I was laid off due to serious financial problems in the company. [BONUS POINTS:] I enjoyed my time te hope they pull through and wish them the best.". Don't worry about this. Departments get wiped out. Companies go bankrupt and close. It happens and there is nothing negative about being let go in this way unless your interviewer is balls-insane. In today's corporate environment you're not going to continue working at a company as a widget maker if they decide it's not profitable to make widgets anymore.

Do not be negative or bitter about it in an interview. I KNOW that's hard, especially if you've been there a long time. Honestly, in today's economy you've either been laid off at some point or will be laid off in future! But bringing any negativity into a job interview is only going to hurt you and take up time you can use to sell yourself.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I have an interview next week for what I want to be my second job out of college. obviously I should have three references. I have two former coworkers who said they would act as references, for the thrsd is it considered poor taste to use college professors as references for your second job or should I try to find another coworker.

Amanda Huggensuck
Nov 8, 2012
Hey guys,

I interviewed for a position as an investigator with the county District Attorney's Office on Tuesday. I forgot to ask about the general timeline, and thought the interview went well. I know for a fact that I was the first person being interviewed, and even with the holiday on Monday im a little anxious about getting a call back for a second interview. How long does it usually take to get a call back? I guess I'm just looking for you guys to tell me to relax and that eights is to soon to be fretting.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Haywood posted:

Hey guys,

I interviewed for a position as an investigator with the county District Attorney's Office on Tuesday. I forgot to ask about the general timeline, and thought the interview went well. I know for a fact that I was the first person being interviewed, and even with the holiday on Monday im a little anxious about getting a call back for a second interview. How long does it usually take to get a call back? I guess I'm just looking for you guys to tell me to relax and that eights is to soon to be fretting.

Anywhere between immediately and 9 months - doesn't matter. You should go in, nail in the interview, then pretend like the job never existed. If they want to do more screens for you, they aren't going to forget you exist. Constantly trying to read tea leaves into emails and timing and to stress over exactly what second you'll hear something isn't going to accomplish anything.

Companies will find you if they want to keep talking to you. They aren't going to "forget" to interview a good candidate.

Realistically, you're looking at 3 days-3 weeks in probably 80+% of the cases. But it's the government, so...

Amanda Huggensuck
Nov 8, 2012
Thanks. That's just what I needed to hear. And you're right about the government job, it takes forever to get anywhere with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I have an interview next week for what I want to be my second job out of college. obviously I should have three references. I have two former coworkers who said they would act as references, for the thrsd is it considered poor taste to use college professors as references for your second job or should I try to find another coworker.

Wouldn't say it's bad taste, I doubt using professors would hurt you but it wouldn't help you much either. Have you worked with these professors closely (like would they even remember you?) How long since you've been out of school (there are people whose first job last 6 months and some who stay for 6 years...)

Three is not some magic number or something. I'd take two useful references over three blase ones any day.

Really, the people interviewing you are going to want to talk to your boss, but since this is your only/current job you obviously want to keep it confidential.