Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Welp, I guess we can expect lobbying efforts against net neutrality to ramp up even more next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Be interesting to see what interface the Nexus player uses. I want something like those AndroidTV/Google Fibre boxes that lets you search and it just finds it across all apps/storage/etc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Gunslinger posted:

Be interesting to see what interface the Nexus player uses. I want something like those AndroidTV/Google Fibre boxes that lets you search and it just finds it across all apps/storage/etc.

It uses the android TV interface

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is the Nexus player a Fire TV competitor? I think the only thing I really "Need" in an android top box at this point is gigabit ethernet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gyshall posted:

Is the Nexus player a Fire TV competitor? I think the only thing I really "Need" in an android top box at this point is gigabit ethernet.

Yes. But i dont see why you need gigabit ethernet on an android stb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Y_rbuH9lQ

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hughmoris posted:

Google is putting out their new streaming player:

http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

Kind of a bummer how it's basically Google Fire TV: Hockey Puck Edition. I wonder how much storage it has or if it has a USB port.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Will this thing let me stream audio/video files off my PC? I don't know a lot about what these set top boxes are supposed to do.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

Will this thing let me stream audio/video files off my PC? I don't know a lot about what these set top boxes are supposed to do.

Yes. Using Plex and most likely xbmc.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

That is not quite what they said, I suspect people will be disappointed to find out that it was what had been rumored for a long time and just a decoupling from cable TV service not cable TV providers. So basically Time Warner/Comcast/UVerse/FiOS will be happy to add it on to your internet service instead of a TV package but you are poo poo out of luck if you don't get your internet from a company that doesn't also want to sell you TV.

I don't know that for a fact but the current wording from HBO and past rumors seem to indicate that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Three Olives posted:

That is not quite what they said, I suspect people will be disappointed to find out that it was what had been rumored for a long time and just a decoupling from cable TV service not cable TV providers. So basically Time Warner/Comcast/UVerse/FiOS will be happy to add it on to your internet service instead of a TV package but you are poo poo out of luck if you don't get your internet from a company that doesn't also want to sell you TV.

I don't know that for a fact but the current wording from HBO and past rumors seem to indicate that.

They literally called it a "stand-alone" service. Which it wouldn't be if it was bundled with your internet. And if their goal is to reach the 80 million people who don't have HBO, which they literally said, then partnering up with select internet providers isn't the way to do it.

Sorry, but when I read their exact wording and look at what you just said, it doesn't really jive.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Three Olives posted:

This post is incorrect

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Mahoning posted:

They literally called it a "stand-alone" service. Which it wouldn't be if it was bundled with your internet. And if their goal is to reach the 80 million people who don't have HBO, which they literally said, then partnering up with select internet providers isn't the way to do it.

Sorry, but when I read their exact wording and look at what you just said, it doesn't really jive.

The actual statement posted:

In 2015 HBO will launch standalone HBO service in the US, will work with current partners & explore models with new partners.

Current Partners = The internet providers already offering HBO on their cable packages
Explore = We aren't committing to anything beyond that but we are open to the idea
Stand Alone = Not bundled with the cable TV channels, it doesn't mean they will sell it to consumers directly or their current partners and/or possible future partners will sell it to you without other service.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 15, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Current Partners = The internet providers already offering HBO on their cable packages
Explore = We aren't committing to anything beyond that but we are open to the idea
Stand Alone = Not bundled with the cable TV channels, it doesn't mean they will sell it to consumers directly or their current partners and/or possible future partners will sell it to you without other service.

CEO of HBO: "It is time to remove all barriers to those who want HBO."

I don't know how you can convey "direct to consumers" more clearly without coming out and saying it, which they don't want to do yet because they don't want to piss off their partners.

Work with current partners = talk them down off the ledge

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

That's huge. I can really see the transition to over-the-top service kicking into high gear now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

Kind of a bummer how it's basically Google Fire TV: Hockey Puck Edition. I wonder how much storage it has or if it has a USB port.

Ugh. I read in another thread that it's 8 GB and no USB port. That makes it worse than the Fire TV since you won't be able to hook up a USB keyboard/mouse/FLIRC or use a wired controller like the 360 controller.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Gyshall posted:

I didn't see an ethernet port as part of its specs.

geera
May 20, 2003
CBS announced their own streaming service available starting today for $5.99.

This and Hulu+ gets you all the new network shows (plus a lot of old catalog content) for around $14 per month.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

geera posted:

CBS announced their own streaming service available starting today for $5.99.

This and Hulu+ gets you all the new network shows (plus a lot of old catalog content) for around $14 per month.

With a shitton of ads you can't skip, $14.95 gets you a TiVo OTA with 4 tuners + built in Netflix and Youtube with Amazon Instant and Vudu coming shortly. That and you get a solid guide plus a lot of syndicated local OTA content that doesn't show up on Hulu+.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But the Hulu + CBS thing also gives you a fairly big backlog of shows, right?

geera
May 20, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But the Hulu + CBS thing also gives you a fairly big backlog of shows, right?
Yeah. The backlog of older shows on CBS also plays ad-free, according to their announcement. Plus no initial hardware investment if you already have an Apple TV or Chromecast, etc.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Got my Mohu Leaf today and :eek: found 100+ channels. Granted about 90% of those are non-HD and in Spanish or Vietnamese, but still I was not expecting that at all.

Now to go through the channel list and hide all of the ones I don't care about: I was really only interested in the basic HD networks.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Got my Mohu Leaf today and :eek: found 100+ channels. Granted about 90% of those are non-HD and in Spanish or Vietnamese, but still I was not expecting that at all.

Now to go through the channel list and hide all of the ones I don't care about : I was really only interested in the basic HD networks.

Welcome to the future.

Now get an HDHomerun, or a WMC HTPC, or if you have a samsung tv go into the service menu and turn on the DVR function they lock out of US models.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Now get an HDHomerun, or a WMC HTPC, or if you have a samsung tv go into the service menu and turn on the DVR function they lock out of US models.
I don't watch enough TV to justify a more elaborate setup. The antenna's just because my girlfriend wanted the option of watching local news, otherwise we're serviced just fine by Hulu+ and Netflix on the Apple TV on the rare occasion we do sit down for a show.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Don Lapre posted:

or if you have a samsung tv go into the service menu and turn on the DVR function they lock out of US models.

How does this work?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

How does this work?

Depends on TV model but I'll post more info tomorrow.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The writing continues to be on the wall for traditional cable's business model:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/13/media/sony-announces-vue/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

IRQ posted:

As nice as this is for your average tv junkie i think bandwidth caps are gonna be a real problem.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

I'm more interested in what Dish Network's working on. They're rumored to be shooting for a $20-30 a month price point and they have a decent amount of partners onboard. The Sony one would be interested if they rolled it out to more devices.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/streaming/dish-network-s-ott-video-venture-schedule-year-end-bow-34521

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/dish-plans-to-charge-ott-subs-extra-for-live-local-tv-channels-sources-1201320623/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 14, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a site that catalogues what content is available in what Netflix region? I use unblock-us to get some British content on Netflix from time to time, but often I'll leave it set to UK and go "whoops this other thing I'm looking for isn't available", but only after searching. I'd love to be able to type in a title on a website and see whether I need to change my Netflix region first.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Is there a site that catalogues what content is available in what Netflix region? I use unblock-us to get some British content on Netflix from time to time, but often I'll leave it set to UK and go "whoops this other thing I'm looking for isn't available", but only after searching. I'd love to be able to type in a title on a website and see whether I need to change my Netflix region first.

https://www.moreflicks.com

I also wish there was a site where I can browse what's available in each region, but this works pretty well when I'm looking for a specific title and want to see if it's available in ANY region.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beaut, thanks!

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Are Fire TVs still one of the go-to devices now that the newer devices are unrootable, or are there better things that do approx what it did?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You don't need to Root your FireTV, you just sideload XBMC via ADB over wifi, or any number of GUI installers. I never bothered to root my FireTV. And yes it's loving spectacular, 13.2 runs flawlessly with no memory leaks etc. 13.0 had some issues if you left it on for 3-4 weeks it would drop frames occasionally until you rebooted but since I installed 13.2 in September or so I haven't had to gently caress with it at all. It works perfectly with the included remote.

If you dump the xbmc.apk and the adb.exe in your root C:\ directory you can install it over wifi in four commands from a dos prompt. It doesn't get much easier than that.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
The Fire TV sounds pretty cool yes and I would love to run XBMC, but I'm still a MONSTER fan of the Roku 3 with Plex. It has all the major video streaming apps, Plex runs amazing on it (1080p wireless streaming virtually instantly), a random Angry Birds space game, and you get the added bonus of a headphone jack in the remote because why the hell not. It is pretty much impossible to mess anything up and most importantly my wife loves it and understands how to use it perfectly.

The direct wireless remote (not IR) is incredibly badass as battery life. I've had my Roku 3 since March or so and it's still on the original knockoff brand AAs that came with it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The FireTV has Plex and a BT remote, last time I checked Plex is a fork of XBMC, although why you'd want Plex when you can have XBMC I don't know. I actually checked and didn't see an option for Angry Birds but I just spent the last 20 minutes playing Tetris so YMMV.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Easy syncing to mobile devices and easy sharing my library to my family across the country are 2 big reasons why I want plex over xbmc.

I also prefer the simplicity of the menus for guests and ability to play content via web browser but that's just me. Maybe xbmc has gotten better since 11 or 12.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

The FireTV has Plex and a BT remote, last time I checked Plex is a fork of XBMC, although why you'd want Plex when you can have XBMC I don't know. I actually checked and didn't see an option for Angry Birds but I just spent the last 20 minutes playing Tetris so YMMV.

Plex is a completely different beast than XBMC. Think of it as a personally operated Netflix. The main feature is streaming over your network or Internet to any capable device anywhere you have Internet access, and capability of sharing your library with your friends and family.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plex is a server that manages your media library and streams it to the internet, coupled with an app that lets you watch that streamed stuff wherever. XBMC is an app that accesses your media library directly and does metadata and playback all internally.

Think of Plex as a thing that runs 24/7 on the computer where your library is stored and XBMC as a thing that runs on a small box connected to your TV.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

withak posted:

Think of Plex as a thing that runs 24/7 on the computer where your library is stored and XBMC as a thing that runs on a small box connected to your TV.

Plex media server can share a library anywhere, it doesn't have to be on the same hardware. I think it's an important distinction that server doesn't need to have the data on it or be a server in any other way really. Plex home theater (end user software) is also a thing that runs either on the tv directly or via a small box that is connected to the TV. .

Wouldn't it be comparable to xbmc running an Sql library setup? Minus the features I listed earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wherever your stuff is stored, the point is that the server app needs to be running somewhere to use Plex. XBMC is more self-contained but the box hooked to your TV needs to be good enough to handle the library-management stuff as well as playback.