Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Fucknag posted:

The CDC labs that research this poo poo are off the scale for safety. Full-body positive pressure hazmat suits with external air supply, with anti-pathogen showers both before suiting up, and before and after removing the suit (once for the suit, once for the body after the suit's off). Wouldn't surprise me if all ventilation went through high-power germicidal lamps, too. I specifically remember one bit about how, when studying brain tissue from test animals, they used scalpels and essentially giant crab-crackers to break the skull open, because the spray of infected tissues from using a bone saw would be too great a safety hazard.

I doubt there's more than a handful of hospitals nationwide that are equipped that well for research, nevermind caring for affected patients. I'm less than surprised that health workers are starting to get infected.

They really do need to call in the big guns for this one.

Yeah, that's what I said. Those places exist, but the people who work there aren't actually practising doctors, nurses, etc. They can work under the isolation conditions but they can't care for patients. And the whole physical environment is set up for the suits, with oxygen and even coolant supplies. There are no big guns in the sense of a level 4+ biohazard facility that's set up to actually handle patients. You have research facilities that can handle the pathogens but can't do medicine and you have medical facilities that have to do absolutely everything right to handle a serious pathogen, and that's hard. You can try to move the patient care environment to an L4 like it's an alien autopsy, but then what you're doing is ensuring that you have a procedure that can't scale in the event you need to treat even a dozen patients instead of just two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

1st Edition ADandD posted:

three, training in this kind of biosafety is seriously non-trivial and there are very few "real" doctors and nurses who have had it, much less any experience, as opposed to the very small number of generally non-practising research scientists and doctors who do high-level biohazard stuff regularly. even the people *doing* the training in both civilian and military environments have rarely, if ever, had to work for extended periods under these conditions. You can simulate going through the processes, and they do, but you can't simulate working like that for days on end. You think there must be someone else who could do this (this is a common American thing, you think somewhere there must be a military or Ivy League A-Team), but there simply isn't, or if there is it's like four people. what you're seeing in Spain and the US are people and organizations getting this experience the hard way.

The car analogy would be passing your driver's test three years ago, driving for two hours once a year since then, and then suddenly having to drive a shift at LeMans at night in the rain.

When I was in the military we would train in chemical gear now and then for a few hours at a time, then one day they decided on a week long exercise in full chemical gear and 12 hour shifts with no days off. It was loving horrible, I couldn't imagine having to work like that for extended periods of time, never mind the hazards of just taking the poo poo off. God bless the people that are dealing with it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Couldn't help but think about this all the way into work today, not sure if it's good or bad I'm considering it. My job here is secure and awesome, job there would be equally if not more secure but likely less awesome and more travel. I hate decisions.

Weekend trip to WI just got extended by at least one week. At this rate why do I have a house, I'd be better off with a large storage building with a hammock in one corner for the occasional nights at home. Think I'll be sitting down with the manager who brought up my name for the position.

Can you please? Just so I can stare at your M3 all day. Also, come ice-hooning :getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Did googling, learned that if you want to bring it down in a hurry, you exercise, or drink a bunch of water and eat some cheese. :confused: So I ate a chunk of cheese and drank a lot of water.

Looked at the log on the meter, it was 263, not 270. Oops. I could barely think for a bit there though.

Down to 168 now.

cursedshitbox posted:

The first thing that came to mind.

:laffo:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 219 days!)

some texas redneck posted:

Down to 168 now.

Up, down, up, down.. are you the physical embodiment of Rhynos' life? Jeez man, even I am starting to get worried about you getting off the drip and getting back to normal life.

One of the things I'm supposed to do on the road to Wellville(tm) is to give up caffeine. He could have told me that before I dropped :10bux: on cheap soda to last me for the next month.

Oh, my 'sitting' blood pressure was 174/92, not stressed. Pain is a bitch. Guess I'm gonna pop like a balloon.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

What did you buy?

Its on my Facebook page. Master force from Menard's, its amazing. I known it's no Matco or Snap On but its also 1/3 the cost.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its on my Facebook page. Master force from Menard's, its amazing. I known it's no Matco or Snap On but its also 1/3 the cost.

Neat. Good stuff, semi terrible store.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cursedshitbox posted:

The first thing that came to mind.

Given I stay the gently caress away from anything to do with Fast and Furious.... is that a legit image from one of those movies?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Neat. Good stuff, semi terrible store.

It is semi terrible but for 350, I can't complain. Its built extremely well, I can expand it to get a top shelf then a side box. Right now the thing is so god drat big I won't fill it any time soon.

I do have the money to pay it in full but with any purchase over 299 I can enjoy 6 months no interest. I already will allot money to pay it off quick but its nice not to deplete my savings in one swoop. I get paid in a week anyways so I'll go in and pay it in store.

I did buy an electric impact gun as well, but it did not live up to expectations, so its going back.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Cat Terrist posted:

Given I stay the gently caress away from anything to do with Fast and Furious.... is that a legit image from one of those movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZZ60jrw6cg

Watch this and be enlightened, you're missing out. Seriously, it's worth a watch just for how cheesy and ridiculous it is.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Viggen posted:

Up, down, up, down.. are you the physical embodiment of Rhynos' life? Jeez man, even I am starting to get worried about you getting off the drip and getting back to normal life.

One of the things I'm supposed to do on the road to Wellville(tm) is to give up caffeine. He could have told me that before I dropped :10bux: on cheap soda to last me for the next month.

Oh, my 'sitting' blood pressure was 174/92, not stressed. Pain is a bitch. Guess I'm gonna pop like a balloon.

Are those numbers right???? :eyepop:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Yeah, that's what I said. Those places exist, but the people who work there aren't actually practising doctors, nurses, etc. They can work under the isolation conditions but they can't care for patients. And the whole physical environment is set up for the suits, with oxygen and even coolant supplies. There are no big guns in the sense of a level 4+ biohazard facility that's set up to actually handle patients. You have research facilities that can handle the pathogens but can't do medicine and you have medical facilities that have to do absolutely everything right to handle a serious pathogen, and that's hard. You can try to move the patient care environment to an L4 like it's an alien autopsy, but then what you're doing is ensuring that you have a procedure that can't scale in the event you need to treat even a dozen patients instead of just two.

You make a lot of good points in the last few posts. I guess I just feel in these situations it's best to be as aggressive as possible in hopes to squash it before it becomes a risk in many other locations. That's being optimistic though I know. I think shipping these people off safely to Atlanta is a good plan. Emory seems well equipped to handle things at least.

Hearing that they let that nurse on the plane even after she called the CDC complaining of fever makes me want to loving slap someone in the face. I realize she probably just talked to some intern or something but who the gently caress doesn't have the common sense enough to say "no fuckhead, let us to come to you ASAP!".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

T1g4h posted:

Seriously, it's worth a watch just for how cheesy and ridiculous it is.

The entire series, summarized.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CharlesM posted:

Are those numbers right???? :eyepop:

I was a bit surprised, but saw it myself. Maybe I do need to cut down on the caffeine. (There were other issues at play at the time - I'm off my muscle relaxers and blood thinners since I have another procedure coming up, but that was still incredibly high).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Viggen posted:

I was a bit surprised, but saw it myself. Maybe I do need to cut down on the caffeine.

I haven't had a systolic that high since I was close to death. How does your head feel?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

CharlesM posted:

I haven't had a systolic that high since I was close to death. How does your head feel?

Haven't you seen my posts? :haw:

I still feel like a tomato ready to pop. I got a few shots of lidocaine in the worst areas, which brought it down to semi-normal in the office. It can't be over 150s/70s right now. Other than being off the management meds, I stopped for breakfast before I went in, and my bacon was really salty. I don't think it was that salty, but I dunno. :shrug:

v- D'aww. Puppy! Your dad pulled the chair out, and what? He is the only one allowed to push it back in?

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 16, 2014

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Things seem to have gotten serious around here so here's a picture of one of my pugs:

I neglected to clean up the table and my dad left the chair out far enough so this little guy went looking for food. This is his "HELP! I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO GET DOWN FROM HERE!" look. Ain't he adorable?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does one of you drive a BMW M-Coupe with the VA plate CLOWNSHU? It seemed like a pretty goony plate choice.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
While my wife and I have been separated, I have had lots of time on my hands. To distract myself and keep from spiraling further into the depths of depression and self-loathing, I have been playing back through some old PS2 games from way back. Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy X and I forgot how much I enjoyed playing it the first time around.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have so many PS2 games I wanna play that I'm seriously considering either hauling my fatPS2 from the basements CRTV and running composite on my 1080p 120hz TV OR buying an original PS3 with backwards compatibility and hoping that it plays PS2 games in 720p (and it has enough thermal paste on it)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ho boy, wow oh wow that post has way more :spergin: in it than I really care to admit. Yikes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

hooooooly gently caress dude. You need a relief valve or something.

Don't even fart or you're gonna blow your brai...

Yeah nevermind.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
So my roommate and I are goony fucks and want to get a game of Risk: Legacy going, but no one seems to want to get tied to something that lasts 15 Risk games. What is wrong with people.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

STR - I'm a little afraid to ask, but how much did your hospital stint end up costing?

Glad to hear you're somewhat getting better-ish, maybe you've finally built up enough karma to have some good things happen in your life :unsmith:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Tide posted:

Nope. Stay out of it, none of your business. No matter how long you've known him or how good of friends you are with him, don't take sides (unless one is a meth trafficking child molester son or daughter of Satan, then all gloves are off).

You may think you are doing the right thing, and in actuality you are, but that is the sort of thing that can kill a relationship with one or both.

The very best course of action is to do nothing and let nature take its course. She'll find out, they always do. And if one asks if you know or knew? Feign ignorance.

There is no good that can come from it.

Stay out of it ++. You will never know the intricacies of their relationship - if you're looking for a relationship to judge and change, do it to your own.

That said, cheating via Tinder or other online dating services is pretty stupid and high-risk. I do know a married couple who have an open relationship, though, and I think they both use OKC, so you never know who's being deceitful and who's just freaky.

I have never and would never cheat on someone I love, but I do think it has biological precedent and try not to judge it because of that. 40℅+ of men and 25%+ of women have cheated. Monogamy has only been around a short while compared to the inertia of our hormones.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

STR - I'm a little afraid to ask, but how much did your hospital stint end up costing?

No idea. Most of our hospitals here just operate the facility, with each doctor, employee, blood test, etc billing separately. So it can take a couple of months to even get all the bills. They haven't submitted anything to my insurance yet, but the last hospital visit ran $332 - I have a $500 out of pocket maximum for the year.

That said, I have good insurance, and I've exceeded my yearly out of pocket limit by a good amount - so there's a good chance it won't cost me much, if anything. The only thing I pay for at this point are name brand prescriptions (most generics are free). Our insurance system also negotiates pretty huge discounts over retail.

Without insurance, it'd probably be at least $30k, since an ICU was involved.

This is a pretty good example of how each item is billed separately in a hospital, from my last hospital visit. Remember I was in and out in about 6 hours. This hospital had a drat good billing department, they got everything together in just a few days.

The $332 is what was left of my yearly out of pocket.

I had an ICU visit several years ago without insurance - the bill was about $80k before they discounted anything. They'll often do discounts for low income as well.

All of this of course includes if the hospital is considered in network, and even if they are in network, if they accept your particular plan. Thankfully this one does.

I fully expect a huge hike in my insurance premiums next year.

Cat Terrist posted:

Yes.

Viggen posted:

Mine was 159/105 earlier. On enough librium that I could barely keep my eyes open (this was hours ago). :stare:

The hospital had knocked my blood pressure med (Lisinopril) down to 5mg from 20mg, added another one, and had me on blood thinners (injected into my loving stomach every few hours, what the gently caress) to try and get it down. I don't even know why they'd change the dosages. I took my regular dose this morning (20mg); wound up taking another one after seeing the 159/105 (the upper therapeutic dose is 40mg). It's at a much more reasonable 135/90 right now. I figure it'll come down a bit more once I'm fully out of withdrawal.

The discharge paperwork also stated I refused both flu and pneumonia shots (I took both, and specifically remember the nurse that gave them to me joking that she nailed me dead center in my tattoo), and that they had given me scripts for Librium and whatever blood pressure med they'd switched me to (I was also told this verbally). Wound up being for 3 months of Librium :stonk: and 3 months of Metformin (500mg/1x day when I take 1000mg/2x day). A little bit of shoddy recordkeeping, and it seems a little irresponsible to give someone 3 months of a pretty strong benzo IMO. I mean, it's not quite Xanax, but drat.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 16, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just "competed" for an Avondale PD position. Three slots, 177 people showed up, including more than 30 lateral (already or already qualified for LEO) applicants. I passed both the physical and written exams and have an oral board on the 29th, but overall it was :stonk: and I think my chances of getting the position are :gonk:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Those hospital numbers are frightening.
What pills were you given that cost $100 a dose?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Two bags of IV fluids, two rounds of IV Ativan @ 2mg/each. No pills at all that I remember.

Not sure what the 5th one is. Looks kind of like there may be a little double billing there actually.

I'm curious to see what they're going to bill my insurance for this one, it'll be heart-attack inducing no doubt. I lost count of how many pricks I got stuck with there. At least 15 rounds of IV Ativan (plus oral ativan), plus several rounds of oral meds per day, plus 3 days of nonstop IV fluids, plus who the gently caress knows how many units of insulin, plus several glucose tests a day, wearing a portable EKG monitor and being on a heart floor once I was out of ICU, and the food was literally all you could eat from 6am-7pm. I asked how much a guest tray was out of curiosity, the answer was $12 (so I assume I'll be billed at least $50 for each meal).

One page of a 4 page menu. All you can eat. :stare: Everything except the meatloaf and mashed potatoes were pretty drat good.

Damnit, I'm hungry again.. and I've had 4 meals already today.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

One page of a 4 page menu. All you can eat. :stare: Everything except the meatloaf and mashed potatoes were pretty drat good.

Chicken-fried steak with cream gravy...good thing you were already on the heart floor.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The nurse actually suggested it as one of the best things on the menu. I'm guessing they either didn't see my cholesterol or didn't check it as part of my blood work. :v: It's one of my favorite things in the world, but something I won't eat more than once or twice a year (and even when I do, it's in small amounts).

I'll have to scan the menu (you better believe I brought it home with me), the salmon and tenderloin were both something you'd expect in a decent restaurant, right down to the presentation.

I'm surprised they had me on a regular menu instead of diabetic though. So were the people on the heart floor - I got a good rear end chewing for ordering a Dr. Pepper by my nurse, but I told her I drink soft drinks once a week at most (it's usually less, I've even given up on diet soft drinks - it's usually water, or juice in the morning).

They offered egg whites for the breakfast items, they were pretty disappointing (IHOP's version are a lot better). The turkey bacon was drat good though.

My last meal was ala carte pinto beans and spanish rice. I wanted to make sure I left a lasting impression in that room. :haw: The beans were drat good, the rice was meh.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 16, 2014

Butt Wizard
Nov 3, 2005

It was a pornography store. I was buying pornography.
Someone give me the loving confidence to drive my toy to work tomorrow instead of my Corolla.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
snapchatting with goons is pretty fun, we should start a list since I think I missed a few people. Add hatebrooks if I missed you and you want to see pics of meds and pharmacy related poo poo until I get a day off and start back with the cars.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Two bags of IV fluids, two rounds of IV Ativan @ 2mg/each. No pills at all that I remember.

Not sure what the 5th one is. Looks kind of like there may be a little double billing there actually.

I'm curious to see what they're going to bill my insurance for this one, it'll be heart-attack inducing no doubt. I lost count of how many pricks I got stuck with there. At least 15 rounds of IV Ativan (plus oral ativan), plus several rounds of oral meds per day, plus 3 days of nonstop IV fluids, plus who the gently caress knows how many units of insulin, plus several glucose tests a day, wearing a portable EKG monitor and being on a heart floor once I was out of ICU, and the food was literally all you could eat from 6am-7pm. I asked how much a guest tray was out of curiosity, the answer was $12 (so I assume I'll be billed at least $50 for each meal).

Damnit, I'm hungry again.. and I've had 4 meals already today.

When I was in Bulgaria I had some kind of severe abdominal pain attack, ended up at hospital where they took samples of my blood and urine, and my blood pressure.

Every time someone's taken my blood pressure it's been low, but this time it was so low they told me to sit down and immediately dumped some IV glucose into me.

It was free btw. Bulgaria has scarier looking hospitals than the US, but I'd take not getting billed over up to date decor. Of course if you care about the decor then you can use a private hospital.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
After 5 years, she said she needs to have her own space for a while. She's been gone for 5 days now. I hate this because I know how it ends 99.99% of the time.

:sigh:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

Just "competed" for an Avondale PD position. Three slots, 177 people showed up, including more than 30 lateral (already or already qualified for LEO) applicants. I passed both the physical and written exams and have an oral board on the 29th, but overall it was :stonk: and I think my chances of getting the position are :gonk:

It's probably for the better. If you have any amount of empathy or compassion I imagine being a cop is one of the more stressful things you can do. You probably already know this, but some departments won't hire if you score too well on your exams, too.

Devyl posted:

After 5 years, she said she needs to have her own space for a while. She's been gone for 5 days now. I hate this because I know how it ends 99.99% of the time.

drat, sorry.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

You probably already know this, but some departments won't hire if you score too well on your exams, too.

What? :stonk:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Candidates who are too smart tend to leave the job after about 6 months to do something else. :sigh:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

This is an old story and I'm sure there are newer ones but you get the idea.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

If you are better than the role offered the company will worry that you'd get bored and move on. Better to pick someone who has enough motivation to accept the role but not one that will go too far beyond.

When I was unemployed the job centre was of no use because I had a degree and all the roles they could point me towards were for people who barely have any qualifications.

And by "point me towards" I mean "go to https://www.indeed.co.uk"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CharlesM posted:

It's probably for the better. If you have any amount of empathy or compassion I imagine being a cop is one of the more stressful things you can do. You probably already know this, but some departments won't hire if you score too well on your exams, too.

Yeah, I'm aware, but I want to be a good cop, if there is such a thing. I mean, I love helping patients and dealing with crazies as an EMT, but the pay is piss poor.

Devyl posted:

Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread