Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Scott Perry (R-PA) is not quite sure what the President's immigration policy will be.

quote:

“And this president is disengaged from this,” he said. “He’s out fundraising, he’s out golfing, and he’s talking about shutting down Guantanamo Bay and opening up the borders more to either Ebola patients or illegal immigrants. You gotta know where someone’s core is and it’s evidenced in what they do everyday not necessarily what they say in my opinion.”

Now it's obviously one of those two, but which? Hmmm.... :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Cardigans are only libertarian if they are tightly stretched over your bulky form, causing ellipses of shirt to be revealed between your straining buttons.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Okay, so if I'm under par, we'll celebrate by letting in a few trucks of illegal immigrants. If I bogey though, see what you can do about getting more Ebola patients in here. FORE!"

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

loquacius posted:

If a friend of mine laughed at me whenever I had a beer with dinner I would probably stop getting dinner with that friend :shrug:

Seriously, most people who don't drink learn not to do poo poo like that in college, because it is (as people have said) insufferable.

I don't laugh at people who drink, I laugh at people who get drunk.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amergin posted:

I don't laugh at people who drink, I laugh at people who get drunk.

At least all of D&D can enough a good chuckle at Boehner.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I dunno about labeling sweater vests as strictly -R. Scientists love a good sweater vest and they're not a strong -R demographic.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I still have my dare card :kiddo:

We had a dare officer who, in the final weeks of 5th grade, held an "ask me anything" session where we wrote in anonymous questions into a hat (emphasis on anonymous). I submitted a question that basically asked if he beat up/arrested people who made fun of him while in uniform. It was a very honest question based on some movies I saw, I had virtually no concept of how to use innocent questions to deliberately provoke.

These questions were read aloud in class and he seemed pretty cool with most people's weird questions. But as soon as he read mine, he got upset and badgered the class for a confession. I had told a friend what I had written in earlier in the day, so it wasn't long until he pointed the finger at me. The officer answered, but he spent an extra ten minutes on the topic in a much harsher tone and looking in my direction the whole time.

Looking back on it, goddamn how can a cop get that upset over a child? I bet it was the reason I didn't win the dare bear contest either.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

moller posted:

You realize that your single incident is being compared to literal millions of instances of "smoked a weed, watched a movie/cooked dinner/had sex/went to the gym."

To paint with a broad brush, I'd wager that most adults have had a run in with someone who had consumed a dangerous amount of alcohol and put themselves into a bad situation, but the most serious side effect of cannabis most people have been exposed to is probably jam bands or overzealous law enforcement.

My grandma had a sever allergic reaction to shrimp once. Like really bad. That same evening, several hundreds of thousands of people enjoyed eating some shrimp. Perhaps I am weak on shrimp.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Personally I've never had a problem with people who smoked weed, but I never did it myself because of the smell. God, I cannot stand that smell.

For what it's worth, I used to feel this way too. Couldn't stand the smell. I was also one of those guys that bought the DARE thing for an embarrassingly long time, and didn't try weed until I was 28. Now I love the way it smells because I psychologically associate it with getting high...but I also don't use anymore because the whole "job with a security clearance and random drug testing" bullshit. Cest la vie. Of course, I'll go right back to it the moment my continued employment doesn't depend on pissing clean anymore.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
If it means anything to anyone, in the Florida Gubernatorial debate just now Rick Scott, the current Republican governor, refused to come out and debate Charlie Crist, the former Republican governor turned Democratic challenger, because Crist had a small cooling fan under his podium and Scott claimed that broke the rules of the debate. I love my home state and am so happy to be a teacher here :madmax:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alter Ego posted:

Personally I've never had a problem with people who smoked weed, but I never did it myself because of the smell. God, I cannot stand that smell.

Yeah I don't know what sort of damaged sense pot smokers must have but good god the smell is just terrible.

Trabisnikof posted:

At least all of D&D can enough a good chuckle at Boehner.

If I had to deal with Republicans in the House all day I'd probably get trashed constantly and try to tan away the pain too.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Mirthless posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say this:

It hasn't even been a full day. :stare:

Does anyone know if there's some kind of organization I can complain to? This is too much.

Just create a filter that sends all of those emails to trash. Problem solved.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

If it means anything to anyone, in the Florida Gubernatorial debate just now Rick Scott, the current Republican governor, refused to come out and debate Charlie Crist, the former Republican governor turned Democratic challenger, because Crist had a small cooling fan under his podium and Scott claimed that broke the rules of the debate. I love my home state and am so happy to be a teacher here :madmax:

I listened to the whole train wreck and it was about what I expected. The last bit where the two were asked to say something nice about one another was great. Crist commended Scott's handling of Ebola and Scott commented that Crist just complimented him. :geno:

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

I listened to the whole train wreck and it was about what I expected. The last bit where the two were asked to say something nice about one another was great. Crist commended Scott's handling of Ebola and Scott commented that Crist just complimented him. :geno:

Jesus, between this and that stupid ad for Scott about a girl buying the right wedding dress, I don't know how he got elected in the first place.

Don't tell me, I don't want an answer. My sanity remains whole that way.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Joementum posted:

Scott Perry (R-PA)

Do these guys just have like six names that they switch permutations of?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Petr posted:

Do these guys just have like six names that they switch permutations of?

It's good enough for the Bible, commie pinko human being.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

chairface posted:

It's good enough for the Bible, commie pinko human being.

I've never seen a Scott in the Bible, and Perry is just about the faggiest name there is.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNPJ0UJroIQ

Haha, wow

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Rick's side of the story https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0CZcXNCcAAE5D7.png:large

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dante Logos posted:

Jesus, between this and that stupid ad for Scott about a girl buying the right wedding dress, I don't know how he got elected in the first place.

Don't tell me, I don't want an answer. My sanity remains whole that way.

If it makes you feel better, the right wedding dress ad has a take for every Republican gubernatorial candidate. As for how Rick Scott got elected, he ran against the electoral powerhouse that is Alex Sink in 2010 and just barely eked out a win.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
If DARE had any lasting effect on me, it was playing on my anxiety issues by convincing me that the moment I try to relax and smoke some weed with friends, a loving narcotics agent would step out from behind a potted plant and arrest me. Only for a judge to be up for reelection, and make an example of me to look tough on drugs.

I was a hosed up kid.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I had DARE in, I think, elementary school, but I don't think anyone, including the teacher or cop, took it seriously.

I still didn't start smoking weed until my last year of high school, but I think that was mostly just from being a nerd back then.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The local DARE program spent a lot of time emphasizing that you really shouldn't ever gently caress around with eg heroin, meth and cocaine. They mentioned that weed is against the law, but it was the drugs that were actually dangerous that they made sure to impress on us.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
In my DARE class, the officer passed around her unloaded service revolver and one of the kids tried to pocket a speedloader.

Also hallucinogens sounded rad.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
you know you can eat weed if you don't like the smell, right? It isn't an either-or-thing. Like alcohol, there are plenty of ways to hide the smell/flavor for those who don't care for it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So when you're eyeballing the weed, do you just grind it up and put it under your eyelid or do you inject it into your sclera or what? There's a remote chance it'll be legal in Florida soon so I need to know now, dammit.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Luigi Thirty posted:

So when you're eyeballing the weed, do you just grind it up and put it under your eyelid or do you inject it into your sclera or what? There's a remote chance it'll be legal in Florida soon so I need to know now, dammit.

Try LSD in a Parisian Catacomb.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Hey, I have that fan! It's an excellent Honeywell fan, incredibly powerful for it's size and as I understand it relatively energy efficient. If Charlie Crist can choose his policy as well as he shops for fans Florida has a clear choice.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
True story, I used to do ocular vodka "shots" with some Belarussians I knew. At the time, I always thought they got me super hosed-up but with the benefit on hindsight, I'm noticing that I was always already super-hosed-up when I decided that washing my eye with vodka was a good idea. Stings like a bitch and makes your eyes pop-out like a cartoon character, all inflamed and poo poo.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I want to hug all the future alcoholics and tell them that it's okay to just drink the stuff. No need to chug it via your eyes or your butthole or anything else! At least until throat cancer, at which point you'll want those other orifices nice and undamaged for a few extra months.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
It's happening, the right is now trying to claim invading Iraq was actually pretty rad due to that NYT article that chemical weapons were in fact found in Iraq.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "At times I have thought of him as a honey badger." ~ Dr. Jonathan Mermin on CDC Director Frieden.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amused to Death posted:

It's happening, the right is now trying to claim invading Iraq was actually pretty rad due to that NYT article that chemical weapons were in fact found in Iraq.

These stockpiles we're blowing up are the ones that Saddam had declared to the UN inspectors right?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

hobbesmaster posted:

These stockpiles we're blowing up are the ones that Saddam had declared to the UN inspectors right?

Also ones that the Bush admin did their level best to hide because they make it painfully obvious the only WMDs Saddam had were rotten mustard and sarin gas rounds he'd produced with western (including US) help in the 80s.

Thanks to the invasion, there's still undemolished stockpiles lying unguarded in territory ISIS now controls, as they were handed over to the Iraqi government who had no impetus or ability to get rid of them.

So in fact, the invasion may well directly result in a terror attack using chemical weapons. :v:

Just read the whole thing here, it's excellent: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/14/world/middleeast/us-casualties-of-iraq-chemical-weapons.html

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 16, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I heard the "we know he has chemical weapons even without evidence since we gave them to him!" argument during the lead up to the Iraq war but I don't think it caught on that well since it puts an obvious tarnish on our hero complex image. It's not surprising to see them trying anything to save face from that mess.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Joementum posted:

Shumlin, duh.

The regular Marijuana party just wants to legalize it. As for Emily Payton, well.... you kind of need to read it in its original form.

She's got my vote!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I just can't help but wonder how awesome weed extraction could be if it were legal. Love me some chromatography.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I got lucky and missed DARE. When I was in 5th grade the school normally had all the 6th graders run through the program, but the next year when I moved schools and was in 6th grade all of the 5th graders had already done it. Thank christ

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Grundulum posted:

Amazingly bad (on the other side of "so bad it's good"). http://sandstormreviews.blogspot.com/2006/08/goodkind-parodies.html

My personal favorite is when the main character sculpts a statue so beautiful it defeats communism.

What the hell is up with fantasy authors being huge shitlords?

KomradeX fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rick Scott is a scumbag.

• Locked thread