Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

reflex posted:

Fair enough. Are you suggesting I port before my contract is up or on that day?

Do the port on the day of or after your contract end date. You will no longer be required to give 30 days notice once you are out of contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

OilSlick posted:

Do the port on the day of or after your contract end date. You will no longer be required to give 30 days notice once you are out of contract.

At which time Rogers, the scumbags that they are, will probably still and try to bill you for an extra month anyways.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

grack posted:

At which time Rogers, the scumbags that they are, will probably still and try to bill you for an extra month anyways.

Nope. CRTC outlawed that one as long as you are part of the new legislation. You become a part of that legislation as soon as you are out of contract.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

OilSlick posted:

Nope. CRTC outlawed that one as long as you are part of the new legislation. You become a part of that legislation as soon as you are out of contract.
Haven't there still been multiple reports of Rogers still trying to collect on it, even if it has been outlawed?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Haven't there still been multiple reports of Rogers still trying to collect on it, even if it has been outlawed?

Happened to my girlfriend, and she was for sure over the Dec 2013 line when her 3-years ran out. They still tried to collect it a few months later. Went through the CCTS to claim it back.

They are total scum.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

OilSlick posted:

It's Rogers. They'll try anyways.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

grack posted:

It's Rogers. They'll try anyways.

Rogers: Canada's Comcast™.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Lexicon posted:

The ETF is supposed to be that, but it's been defined differently in previous years. Best to phone and ask them what the cost would be. There's also this nasty trick of billing for one final month of service that was alluded above. Work out your billing cycle, and don't pay for something they can't provide.

My bill always says "PAY BY THE 25TH OR ELSE!" but the new cycle starts on the 5th.
I suppose I have another few weeks to decide on what to do.

I'm most worried about the koodo man yelling at me for cheating and making me feel bad.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PS. Love the cabin posted:

My bill always says "PAY BY THE 25TH OR ELSE!" but the new cycle starts on the 5th.

I'm most worried about the koodo man yelling at me for cheating and making me feel bad.

Cheating, as in, doing the SK/MB thing? Don't worry - the person almost certainly won't give a gently caress, and has one eye on the clock counting down to when they can crack their first beer of the night.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

PS. Love the cabin posted:

The Koodo man has sales targets to meet. It won't be too hard to find someone to do that for you. Dealers like Best Buy have are a lot less likely to care.

Also, Lexicon is correct. Most cell phone salesmen are crippling alcoholics who can't wait to drown their feelings of emptiness in a tidal wave of liquor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Switching jobs and my company phone is going bye-bye. If I sign a new contract somewhere, are 416 numbers still hard to come by, or do I just have to ask for one? I don't really care about the deluge of collection calls or whatever.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Martytoof posted:

Switching jobs and my company phone is going bye-bye. If I sign a new contract somewhere, are 416 numbers still hard to come by, or do I just have to ask for one? I don't really care about the deluge of collection calls or whatever.

Try in the morning. Before 11am gives you the best chances.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My contract is up in a couple months. I'm currently with Telus on a 4s, so I'd like to get an iPhone 6.

Am I basically going to be stuck with paying for a regular, lovely plan? Or are there any tips I should know that I can get a slightly better deal?

Not expecting much, this is Canada after all. Just thought I'd check.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can try threatening to change providers and they might give you a retentions deal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Probably way too early, but anyone know yet if our lovely Canadian carriers will be getting the Nexus 6 for contracts? No way in hell I'm buying a $700+ phone unsubsidized.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

triplexpac posted:

My contract is up in a couple months. I'm currently with Telus on a 4s, so I'd like to get an iPhone 6.

Am I basically going to be stuck with paying for a regular, lovely plan? Or are there any tips I should know that I can get a slightly better deal?

Not expecting much, this is Canada after all. Just thought I'd check.

You can call retentions, but expect to still be paying more. Maybe $10 less than the normal rate.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Probably way too early, but anyone know yet if our lovely Canadian carriers will be getting the Nexus 6 for contracts? No way in hell I'm buying a $700+ phone unsubsidized.

Haven't heard anything yet, but I'm sure we will. Are they not selling those from Google for like $400 this time around?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OilSlick posted:

Haven't heard anything yet, but I'm sure we will. Are they not selling those from Google for like $400 this time around?

Starting at $649 USD :( After conversion to CAD plus tax, gently caress that poo poo. I want the phone but it's a massive shame they killed one of the best parts about the Nexus line. I haven't been on a contract for a while but don't plan on leaving Rogers, so back into a subsidy I guess.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

$649 USD is a massively optimistic price for anything that's not an iPhone. That's what Amazon tried, and we know how that worked out. This thing will be substantially discounted, guaranteed, within 2 months.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lexicon posted:

$649 USD is a massively optimistic price for anything that's not an iPhone. That's what Amazon tried, and we know how that worked out. This thing will be substantially discounted, guaranteed, within 2 months.

I don't know man, Google seems to have clued in to the fact their Nexus phones sell and are popular, so they took a different approach this time and put out a really top end phone spec-wise and holy poo poo are they ever pricing for it.

I really don't mind getting on contract again I guess. I think I'll lose some of my grandfathered plan options, but I've been with Rogers for like 9 goddamn years so maybe they can cut me a break. I might try calling them this week.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really don't mind getting on contract again I guess. I think I'll lose some of my grandfathered plan options, but I've been with Rogers for like 9 goddamn years so maybe they can cut me a break. I might try calling them this week.

How expensive is your current plan? The reason I stay away from contracts is not because is locks me to a carrier, but because it locks me to an obscenely expensive plan that will effectively cost me way more than the phone subsidy.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't know man, Google seems to have clued in to the fact their Nexus phones sell and are popular, so they took a different approach this time and put out a really top end phone spec-wise and holy poo poo are they ever pricing for it.

My understanding was that they actually aren't that popular. I mean, nerds and phone geek types rightly love them, but they only ship a very small fraction of the number of units of a Galaxy S Whatever.

Should be interesting how it plays out regardless, but I simply don't believe there's a meaningful market for this at that price. Not that Google got to where they are by listening to me :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jan posted:

How expensive is your current plan? The reason I stay away from contracts is not because is locks me to a carrier, but because it locks me to an obscenely expensive plan that will effectively cost me way more than the phone subsidy.

I pay about $80/month, but I have a grandfathered plan with unlimited poo poo everywhere (which I don't use) and the 6gb/month addon (which I don't come close to hitting half of). I fully expect to lose some of those things and pay about the same getting onto a contract again.

Lexicon posted:

My understanding was that they actually aren't that popular. I mean, nerds and phone geek types rightly love them, but they only ship a very small fraction of the number of units of a Galaxy S Whatever.

Should be interesting how it plays out regardless, but I simply don't believe there's a meaningful market for this at that price. Not that Google got to where they are by listening to me :)

Agreed, it's way too expensive. If it was another $350 Nexus 5, I wouldn't have hesitated getting it directly unsubsidized, but after tax this one is going to be 750 or more :(

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Agreed, it's way too expensive. If it was another $350 Nexus 5, I wouldn't have hesitated getting it directly unsubsidized, but after tax this one is going to be 750 or more :(

Yeah, and unlike iPhones, there's unlikely to be a robust resale market 2 years down the line you can use to offset that high upfront cost (last two unsubsidized iPhones I've bought for $750ish I've been able to sell for ~$300 2 years on).

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Bell on their early cancellation:

quote:

Sad to know that you are thinking canceling.
The cancellation charge is $20, multiplied by the number of months remaining on the contract, with a minimum of $100 and a maximum of $400.
If you have data on your account, you will also be billed for your early data service agreement cancellation.

So for me that's $160 which I'm assuming is the phone subsidy.
Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to afford to buy it out this month so I have to hope the Koodo hole stays open longer. (lol)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
That minimum bullshit always annoyed me. "Oh it's only $20 a month? I might as well cancel a month early. Oh now it's $100 because of reasons"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just called Rogers, spoke to a customer service manager, he said he has no actual date but he apparently knew that they are getting the Nexus 6 "by early November", and if I went on contract then I could get:

3GB data (he called it "2+1")
Unlimited messaging
Unlimited Canada-wide
Caller ID/voicemail
Rogers One Number (what the poo poo is this)

For $90, so that's pretty close to what I have now plus a lot of non-data features minus some data cap I don't even use. This beats paying $750+ for the unsubsidized phone so I guess that'll work!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a web portal that lets you deal with your messages/set up forwarding/ring simultaneous on your computer/w/e. I think it's free for everyone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

neongrey posted:

It's a web portal that lets you deal with your messages/set up forwarding/ring simultaneous on your computer/w/e. I think it's free for everyone.

Oh right, I remember hearing about that now. I haven't changed my plan in years and years now so I'm a little out of date.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I just called Rogers, spoke to a customer service manager, he said he has no actual date but he apparently knew that they are getting the Nexus 6 "by early November", and if I went on contract then I could get:

3GB data (he called it "2+1")
Unlimited messaging
Unlimited Canada-wide
Caller ID/voicemail

For $90, so that's pretty close to what I have now plus a lot of non-data features minus some data cap I don't even use. This beats paying $750+ for the unsubsidized phone so I guess that'll work!

You sure you don't want to get on board with unsubsidized Nexus 6 + Koodo loophole? Would be cheaper, over a 24-month horizon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lexicon posted:

You sure you don't want to get on board with unsubsidized Nexus 6 + Koodo loophole? Would be cheaper, over a 24-month horizon.

I don't get Telus/Bell network reception at my office, only Rogers here, so no point. I don't want to be signal-less for 8+ hours a day :(

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't get Telus/Bell network reception at my office, only Rogers here, so no point. I don't want to be signal-less for 8+ hours a day :(

Ah, yeah - then you're stuck with Rogers then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So here's what I'm thinking:

Wind Mobile $35/mo plan:

quote:

Unlimited Province-wide Calling
Unlimited Canada-wide Texting
Unlimited Canada/US wide Picture/Video Messaging
Unlimited Data

And an unlocked iPhone 6 from the Apple Store.

I plan to do very little travelling outside of their "coverage" map, with the exception of Montreal. I suppose I could upgrade to their more expensive plan if I plan to be out of coverage very long.

Does Wind support iOS Visual Voicemail, or am I going to have to use some lovely voice based voicemail like a caveman? Also still hoping for a 416 number so I'll have to check with Wind in the morning one of these days..

Anyway, any general advice on the above? Am I going to have a bad time on Wind? I'm not married to that provider, but I do find myself using about 2-3GB of data since I work from the train a lot, and I don't really travel outside of the Wind area, so I figured $35 was a good price for a no-contract thing to try.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

triplexpac posted:

That minimum bullshit always annoyed me. "Oh it's only $20 a month? I might as well cancel a month early. Oh now it's $100 because of reasons"

That's one of the things Quebec has a law against.

neongrey posted:

Also allows for wifi calling.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

So here's what I'm thinking:

Wind Mobile $35/mo plan:

And an unlocked iPhone 6 from the Apple Store.

I plan to do very little travelling outside of their "coverage" map, with the exception of Montreal. I suppose I could upgrade to their more expensive plan if I plan to be out of coverage very long.

Does Wind support iOS Visual Voicemail, or am I going to have to use some lovely voice based voicemail like a caveman? Also still hoping for a 416 number so I'll have to check with Wind in the morning one of these days..

Anyway, any general advice on the above? Am I going to have a bad time on Wind? I'm not married to that provider, but I do find myself using about 2-3GB of data since I work from the train a lot, and I don't really travel outside of the Wind area, so I figured $35 was a good price for a no-contract thing to try.

I switched from Rogers to Wind a little over a month ago based on the advice in this thread and the Vancouver thread. I'm using an Android so I can't really comment on any iOS issues, but I can say that internet speeds are definitely slower than any of the big three networks. Not unmanageable, but if you're watching Youtubes all the time you may be annoyed. I have also run into several areas mid-city where I don't get Wind coverage when I should. Like Rogers arena, funny enough, and underground parking garages or thick-walled buildings where a Rogers signal doesn't have trouble penetrating but apparently Wind's signal does.

That being said, I'm saving $50 a month over my old Rogers plan AND getting Canada-wide long distance and global text on top of that, so it's totally worth it for me. I can easily live with spending a couple bucks a month on roaming texts or calls if I need to. I also have Shaw home internet and make use of the hundreds of Shaw wi-fi hotspots around the city, so I've never had any need to fall back on data roaming. The Wind web portal is really nice too, lots of easy to read data on your usage & poo poo like that.

If you are comfortable with trading coverage for cost savings, then go for it.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
So I'm looking to upgrade my phone, as my Galaxy Nexus seems to be slipping further and further into unreliability. Random reboots, which I thought I fixed by installing cyanogen mod but now I still sometimes get random OS crashes, decides not to charge for like a day and then does again, etc. Plus it feels slow as balls just opening stuff like Chrome, Gmail, etc.

I'm looking at the HTC One M8 (specifically this one off Amazon), but I need to know it's going to work on Mobilicity's network. GSM arena says there are a couple different versions that run on different frequencies, and since I don't actually know as much about cell phones as I pretend to:

1) Will that one work on Mobilicity?
2) How do you tell?
3) Can I get it at a better price somewhere else?

edit: Failing all that, is there a better choice for a phone on Mobilicity?

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 16, 2014

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't know about that but I'm pretty sure I'd rather have a Nexus 5 and ~$300.

Martytoof posted:

Wind has annoyed me several ways since I switched my girlfriend's account over from Mobilicity: first, the voice quality is not great. Voices tend to sound tinny/metallic. I think this may just be in indoor locations with poor reception though... like Wind penetrates (he he) to the lower levels of the Manulife/Eatons centers whereas Mobilicity doesn't, so I'm getting more calls from places with poor signal where Mobilicity would have had none at all. Then their crappy online payments system wouldn't let me pay by credit for a week so I forgot about it (it's fixed now). Global text is free, but I still haven't been able to receive texts from numbers that worked fine with Mobilicity, so uhhh thanks for that.

It's been years since I was last on Rogers but when I switched to Mobilicity, I didn't notice a huge change in quality of voice service, and that's when Mobilicity's network was barely off the ground. Like the signal around the middle of the Bloor station platform was 1-2 bars on both networks. Wind should be more mature by now. Of course the standard disclaimer is that the most important thing is getting good reception at home and at work, so if you live far from the nearest Wind tower and work deep inside a windowless brutalist prison, you're not going to be happy with Wind.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Moving my mom off Wind too since she's been complaining about it a lot and looking for a new plan for her. <200 minutes and 500MB data should be fine. Looks like the going rate for that is $45 less any BYOD discount. There are promos at Speakout and Petrocan but they're timed limited and expire after a few months. Prefer to go no contract, and looking to pick up a moto G on tab or get a used moto X (2013) and BYOD it. Any other promos or plans I should know about? I really hate Bell and Rogers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So aside from Wind, is there any "budget" plan that will get me a fair amount of data (I do a lot of RDP on the train to work on my office desktop) that anyone would recommend? I consider budget to be anything at or under $50. I don't see myself leaving the GTA so I was going to try Wind out. Heck, it's no contract so I may try it just to see if I'm happy with it anyway, but it can't hurt to solicit advice. Either way I'm going to buy my own iPhone since I don't want to be locked into anything long-term.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

So aside from Wind, is there any "budget" plan that will get me a fair amount of data (I do a lot of RDP on the train to work on my office desktop) that anyone would recommend? I consider budget to be anything at or under $50. I don't see myself leaving the GTA so I was going to try Wind out. Heck, it's no contract so I may try it just to see if I'm happy with it anyway, but it can't hurt to solicit advice. Either way I'm going to buy my own iPhone since I don't want to be locked into anything long-term.

Nope, not even close for the big 3 (or flanker brands) on any in-market plans. The best you'll be able to do is the $55 - 5GB Koodo Manitoba/Saskatchewan plan, ymmv on jumping through the hoops to get that plan outside of those places. Either that or work in mobility for one of the big 3. Bell Mobility employees get 50% off any consumer plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's what I figured. I'll try Wind and if it really sucks I'll weigh my options then :)

Thanks all!