Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

KOraithER posted:

If I'm reading the event file correctly, the ruler must be any culture other than Celtic.

What's the logic behind that? I thought there was no ethnic difference between the two and the Scots were just Picts that slowly started adapting to Gaelic culture. Am I horribly mistaken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
I'm having a bitch of a time with the vassal limit. I gave away some kingdoms but the vassal limit hasn't budged. Does it count total vassals or direct vassals? For example if I'm a king does it count only dukes and the counts of the dutchies I hold or does it also count the counts of my dukes?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

What's the logic behind that? I thought there was no ethnic difference between the two and the Scots were just Picts that slowly started adapting to Gaelic culture. Am I horribly mistaken?

If I remember correctly, Scots were people that migrated to what-is-now Scotland from Ireland. I think they intermingled with the Picts (they didnt force them out, they simply took over and moved in, then mixed). Its been a while since I read that book though so I may be mis-remembering.

MegaGatts posted:

I'm having a bitch of a time with the vassal limit. I gave away some kingdoms but the vassal limit hasn't budged. Does it count total vassals or direct vassals? For example if I'm a king does it count only dukes and the counts of the dutchies I hold or does it also count the counts of my dukes?

I understood "vassal limit" to be a limit on the number of direct vassals you could have, thus putting a king over 4 dukes would mean 1 vassal instead of 4. I havent played the game with the expansion yet though so I cant be sure.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I'm still playing version 2.1.6 and all of a sudden I can't seem to arrange a marriage for myself or my son, any idea why not?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So apparently banishment no longer nets you the gold of the person being banished?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's actually sort of refreshing to see the Abbasid Caliphate not be completely limp-dicked. Their new flag is pretty cool too.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

KOraithER posted:

Sounds like the best strategy is to upgrade all (or most) of the tribes in your realm to the point where they can become cities instead of hitting the button as soon as you can. Just like with going feudal.

How in the world do you get enough money for that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Smoremaster posted:

I was mostly referring to Trabisnikof, who was saying how hard it is to check his email.

I still stand by my point that its a dumb system. Don't let it bother you so much that I think its dumb to make it difficult for your customers to find out support information all in the name of "anti-piracy". Other "indie" devs don't need DRM and don't have to hide support info.

Anyway, someone did post about the issue I was having but the thread is closed with a "is a bug, not a tech support issue" comment. So I guess it doesn't really matter if I got access to the tech support forum or not. :shrug:

Maybe I'll go play some EU....

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

So apparently banishment no longer nets you the gold of the person being banished?

Yep. I guess they didn't want anyone to upgrade tribes that way either. Ugh. How will I ever get Lithuania off the ground? Can't go feudal because there is nothing to raid in the east Baltic, and even if I had the money, I can't reform Romuva because two holy sites are literally not built, and no organized religions are anywhere near me. Although with the way Widukind is going, a Saxon Fylkirate wouldn't surprise me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kly posted:

I'm still playing version 2.1.6 and all of a sudden I can't seem to arrange a marriage for myself or my son, any idea why not?

You probably inherited a holy order or a temporary title at some point.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Saxons do enjoy lopping off northern Norway for some reason.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

If I remember correctly, Scots were people that migrated to what-is-now Scotland from Ireland. I think they intermingled with the Picts (they didnt force them out, they simply took over and moved in, then mixed). Its been a while since I read that book though so I may be mis-remembering.

You may well be right, my knowledge of this era of history is pretty shaky, but either way, it's still a matter of the Picts becoming more Irish, so I don't know why the requirement is "not Celtic." That's really bizarre.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Why would you want to stop being Pictish and lose out on the awesome names for characters?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

If you want to play as Ireland/Scotland it's probably best to use the 867 start date because there's no way to convert either of the kingdoms into feudalism by 867. Even if you do, the holdings will all be empty and bare-bones in terms of upgrades.

e: Wow, just checked and even though Ireland is fully feudal by 867, de-jure Scotland is all still tribal, save for a duchy held by one of the Anglo-Saxon kings. I guess they gave them 1-2 hillfort upgrades in each county as some sort of consolation.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 16, 2014

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Wait what? What's the point of banishment then other than to have fewer people in your court to ensure you and your family have more kids?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

SeaTard posted:

You probably inherited a holy order...

That was exactly it, thank you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So I have an interesting situation. As the Welsh Fylkir of Iseldiroedd (King of Frisia and head of the Reformed Norse faith) I Great Holy Warred for the Kingdom of East Francia. However, despite owning every holding inside the Kingdom, I cannot usurp the title from its owner (the Emperor of the HRE).

direct link: http://i.imgur.com/WPuMRvp.png

As (I think) you can see from the screenshot, there are no little shields of someone owning a barony, and I have checked thoroughly for someone that is not me owning a barony, yet the tooltip stil lsays I cannot usurp the title. Anyone know why?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

KOraithER posted:

If I'm reading the event file correctly, the ruler must be any culture other than Celtic.

Scots aren't Celtic for game purposes and there's a Pict-Scot cultural conversion so if you convert to Scot the Pictland will turn to Scotland.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

WilliamAnderson posted:

Wait what? What's the point of banishment then other than to have fewer people in your court to ensure you and your family have more kids?

Patch notes say it was to remove an 'exploit' so I'm guessing Paradox thought people were abusing banishing for profit. :bravo:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bort Bortles posted:

So I have an interesting situation. As the Welsh Fylkir of Iseldiroedd (King of Frisia and head of the Reformed Norse faith) I Great Holy Warred for the Kingdom of East Francia. However, despite owning every holding inside the Kingdom, I cannot usurp the title from its owner (the Emperor of the HRE).

direct link: http://i.imgur.com/WPuMRvp.png

As (I think) you can see from the screenshot, there are no little shields of someone owning a barony, and I have checked thoroughly for someone that is not me owning a barony, yet the tooltip stil lsays I cannot usurp the title. Anyone know why?

To answer my own question: The King of East Francia still held one of the duchies (I created a bunch, didnt realize I had to usurp the one the king was personally holding).

In other news, anyone know if it is at all possible to de-jure drift a duchy from one Kingdom I own to another Kingdom I own? I dont think it is but I would love to drift Holstein from Denmark to Frisia and I own both. I am already drifting Brunswick, Koln, Luxembourg, Vermandois, and Normandy into Frisia because I want to have one very centralized Kingdom (I want my kingdom to have pretty borders).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 16, 2014

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

MegaGatts posted:

Yeah it's direct vassals. Usually when that happens I look under my vassals page and find that there are a bunch of random counts who aren't under their de jure dukes and are reporting directly to me. Also remember that every county you hold means that all holdings under it that aren't yours are a direct vassal, which is very painful to your vassal limit.

I like how tight the vassal limit is, but I cannot see any situation ever where I would be better served increasing centralization. +4 demense size is not an acceptable trade off for -20 vassal limit when vassal limits are way tighter, even if dynasty prestige does apparently give you vassal limit bonuses to help later on in the game.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Most of Scotland was never touched by Gaelic peoples only the highlands the actual language spoken by the Scotland of Macbeth was a Germanic language with a similar pedigree to English.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I think the heir's younger brother is going to die...

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

He's going to die in a crowd of would be murderers all viciously knifing their way to the front to help him shuffle off his mortal coil apparently.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Patch notes say it was to remove an 'exploit' so I'm guessing Paradox thought people were abusing banishing for profit. :bravo:

Maybe it was this:

beedeebee posted:

*stuff* Then suddenly there were 10k more rebels, but I still was able to beat them all. I also started a plot to kill the leader, and forgot about it. After the war, while he's imprisoned, I get the message that my plot is about to fire. I pause the game to check how much money he has, I see it's over 200 gold. So I quickly banish him to get that money, and 2 days letter I get a pop-up that he was assassinated. Good riddance!

although I'd hardly call that an exploit.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

beedeebee posted:

Maybe it was this:

although I'd hardly call that an exploit.

It is probably to stop people from going all North Korea on the game.

e.g. imprison eeeeeveryone then banish eeeeeveryone, profiting like crazy and not having and left over angry vassals

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

I formed the Most Serene Republic of Pictland, and somehow I ended up creating another patrician house in the Republic with the same name as mine. :psyduck: Is this a normal thing or a bug (or both)?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bort Bortles posted:

It is probably to stop people from going all North Korea on the game.

e.g. imprison eeeeeveryone then banish eeeeeveryone, profiting like crazy and not having and left over angry vassals

People were also deliberately letting rebels occupy all their holdings before defeating them and banishing the leader, since the leader would get gold for each successful siege.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Deus Rex posted:

I formed the Most Serene Republic of Pictland, and somehow I ended up creating another patrician house in the Republic with the same name as mine. :psyduck: Is this a normal thing or a bug (or both)?

There was a bug where all the Patrician houses were named the same.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Got my Rise of Islam mod up and running :woop:. Really barebones, got to add history files up the wazoo. Probably going to gut everything northeast of Germania and add some provinces into the Sahara to keep the focus over there.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Zeron posted:

Yeah it's direct vassals. Usually when that happens I look under my vassals page and find that there are a bunch of random counts who aren't under their de jure dukes and are reporting directly to me. Also remember that every county you hold means that all holdings under it that aren't yours are a direct vassal, which is very painful to your vassal limit.

I like how tight the vassal limit is, but I cannot see any situation ever where I would be better served increasing centralization. +4 demense size is not an acceptable trade off for -20 vassal limit when vassal limits are way tighter, even if dynasty prestige does apparently give you vassal limit bonuses to help later on in the game.

Yep, it's a bunch of random counts. Go to your dukes you jerks :saddowns:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It should be noted that baron tier characters don't count for the vassal limit. So you can still have a lot of counties and not worry about those adding up.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Any tips for a Zoroastrian start? I don't own Charlemagne yet.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
I tried to play a Venice game and my doge dying seems to have destroyed the duchy of Venice and caused a game over. oops

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I am playing an Icelandic tribe, I just helped sweden take over the needed lands to convert and used my raids to loot temples and we are now no longer pagans. I go to Merchant republic and when I go to the law tab I get a CTD.

No matter what I do, once I turn into a merchant republic I get CTD on the Law Tab.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I just had an event pop up saying that Pope Romanus II, Pope for seventeen years, has been put in prison by "High Chief Glande of the Pruthenians". Is it a common thing for the Pope to be jailed by Romuva Pagans because :stare:

This was also after the Holy Roman Empire decided to just swallow up The Papacy and its holdings because the Anti-Pope apparently wasn't working well enough. Also, England no longer exists as a kingdom after it all flipped to Norway due to inheritance.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

People were also deliberately letting rebels occupy all their holdings before defeating them and banishing the leader, since the leader would get gold for each successful siege.
Then maybe make it so that you don't get rebel gold when banishing a traitor because that gold was in your kingdom anyway. Getting 200+ gold from banishing a figure that you righteously imprisoned is hardly an exploit.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 16, 2014

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I wish there weren't so many crashes :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

I just had an event pop up saying that Pope Romanus II, Pope for seventeen years, has been put in prison by "High Chief Glande of the Pruthenians". Is it a common thing for the Pope to be jailed by Romuva Pagans because :stare:

...This was also after the Holy Roman Empire decided to just swallow up The Papacy...

That's why. The holy roman emperor probably had the pope as their court chaplain and sent him off to convert some pagans, who didn't take kindly to it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What happens if the Khazars win a war of subjugation of de jure Ruthenia (all of Magyardom is inside Ruthenia) on the titular king of the Magyars who holds no Duke titles? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That's why. The holy roman emperor probably had the pope as their court chaplain and sent him off to convert some pagans, who didn't take kindly to it.

Stuff like that makes me wish ransom values scaled to the importance of the title. Capturing a priest wouldn't net you much, but the pope should have to give up some of his mountainous riches.

• Locked thread