Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That was an excellent episode. Laurel was great, Diggle was great (as usual, really!), the fights were loving incredible (especially that Archery Joust, holy poo poo), and pretty much everything at the end of the episode was very emotional. I'm so glad this show is back.

FELD1 posted:

I think my favorite part of this season so far is Thea's new haircut. Strangely, it reminds me of Aria from Game of Thrones.

It's a really nice haircut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
My god Brandon Routh is charming as gently caress. Just starting the episode and how is not cast in everything

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jesus. CSI is mocking this show for it's advanced technology. She found his cell phone in literally loving 30 seconds

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

My god Brandon Routh is charming as gently caress. Just starting the episode and how is not cast in everything

Yeah, he's a very welcome addition to the cast.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

OmniBeer posted:

Seriously. I'm glad there's another archer that's alive, and that (hopefully!) we'll see Merlyn back soon, because the archer v. archer fights on this show are loving wonderful.
I'm just pleased to see the Captain Jack Hartness found somewhere to land... Albeit without his service revolver and trench-coat. Still as plastic-faced as ever, though! :hurr:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
For a superhero show, this is pretty drat great. A - or A.

For overall.. it's a decent B. I'm impressed by so much but there are some straight cheese moments. The technology, the "HONG KONG POLICE!" I literally laughed.

Diggle is just awesome.

Man, Ollie is great. The actor is great. I really enjoy him. He's a great arrow, and I really enjoyed Justin Hartley. I think they both capture the Green Arrow essence. Brandon Routh though, that guy steals scenes.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Great episode overall.
Saying that though, I thought the motorbike joust was dumb as hell

Kammat posted:

BARROWMAN!!!!

Actually it's SIR BARROWMAN!!! now, isn't?

No he is an MBE, not a kerrr-nigget

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 16, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mr Beens posted:

I thought the motorbike joust was dumb as hell

Yeah, it was great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Man, Ollie is great. The actor is great. I really enjoy him. He's a great arrow, and I really enjoyed Justin Hartley. I think they both capture the Green Arrow essence. Brandon Routh though, that guy steals scenes.

Brandon Routh has been loving amazing in everything I've seen him in, and it's really starting to make me despise casting directors and executives who've decided he's box office poison.

They really need to have Justin Hartley on the show as a guest villain, it'd be fun as poo poo to see him and Stephen Ammel going toe-to-toe.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Brandon Routh has been loving amazing in everything I've seen him in, and it's really starting to make me despise casting directors and executives who've decided he's box office poison.

They really need to have Justin Hartley on the show as a guest villain, it'd be fun as poo poo to see him and Stephen Ammel going toe-to-toe.

Justin Hartley can play a Native American archer called Hawk's Eye.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like they changed Captain Lances haircut he seems older now and sickly to a degree. I'm sure that was what they were going for but something as simple as a hair cut is really interesting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Jesus. CSI is mocking this show for it's advanced technology. She found his cell phone in literally loving 30 seconds

Tracking cellphones is actually super quick.

The joust could have done with one fewer pass or so. Also the scene was too dark to tell who was who at times. Might just be the feed I get but I thought Ollie was on his bike coming up on Komodo in a car at first it was so dark.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
CW's budget no longer allows for decent toupees for Det. Lance.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Since it obviously wasn't Thea who killed Sara my guess is that it was Ra's.

I think Sara came back to Starling City against his wishes, not the first time she's disobeyed him, and so he put her down for it. That's probably why Oliver is fighting him this season. I think there will be a dilemma that Oliver will have to face because he will have to choose to team up with Merlyn and Thea against Ra's.

Just my theory though, I don't know a lot of Green Arrow's history so I don't know if there's that many other archers that could have done it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I know last week didn't leave much room for ambiguity, but I'm genuinely surprised they actually killed off Sara. Wasn't Caity Lotz a favorite?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

If the League of Assassins and Ra's are going to be in the back half of the season, I wonder if they're going to include Talia al Ghul to fight alongside Ra's. The writers almost have to include her because I can't see Nyssa remaining allied with the LoA.

Personally I just want to see more archer fights. Hopefully Barrowman and Oliver square off for a second next episode

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Carlosologist posted:

Personally I just want to see more archer fights. Hopefully Barrowman and Oliver square off for a second next episode

Then Thea shows up and wacks Ollie in the head with her kendo sword.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Was Roy using eskrima sticks when he was fighting Komodo with Oliver? He could have a melee fight with Thea.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Then Thea shows up and wacks Ollie in the head with her kendo sword.

The shinai wouldn't hurt that much but BARROWMAN probably has her doing iaido also. Also higher degree kendokas practice katas with really sharp katanas because they can.
:goonsay:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Slamhound posted:

I know last week didn't leave much room for ambiguity, but I'm genuinely surprised they actually killed off Sara. Wasn't Caity Lotz a favorite?

Sure, but they're not going to change a multi season arc for that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is it bad I wanna see Will Yun Lee cameo in the hong kong sections as a cop?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this? posted:

They learned from Sam and Dean Winchester.

CW shovels are HUGE

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

JohnSherman posted:

Bullshit. There's no way you could dig a grave without anyone noticing. That's like a six hour project right there.

Secret Island Digging Technique

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JohnSherman posted:

Bullshit. There's no way you could dig a grave without anyone noticing. That's like a six hour project right there.

Ahem. They have Barry Allen on speed dial. :flashfact:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kammat posted:

BARROWMAN!!!!

Actually it's SIR BARROWMAN!!! now, isn't?

No, he only got an MBE.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Daric posted:

I think Sara came back to Starling City against his wishes, not the first time she's disobeyed him, and so he put her down for it. That's probably why Oliver is fighting him this season. I think there will be a dilemma that Oliver will have to face because he will have to choose to team up with Merlyn and Thea against Ra's.

That would actually be pretty great. I'm really hoping that whatever direction the show goes, it won't involve "saving" Thea. It'd be much more interesting to leave her aligned with Merlyn, serving as a secondary antagonist throughout the show's run. Certainly would be better than having her be just another member of Team Arrow.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

imperialparadox posted:

Laurel not telling her dad sucks, but i completely understand it. Dude has a heart condition, and could very likely literally have a heart attack if he found out about Sara. I doubt Laurel wants to see more of her family die in one week.

He's not Fred Sanford, he's not going to go around screaming about a possible heart attack every time something bad happens. He's a veteran cop who has already processed the death of his daughter. He helped saved the city from two terrorist attacks. And his heart condition is a result of suffering a massive trauma, not anything to do with stress or unhealthy habits.

If he was so frail that the actual death of a daughter he had already assumed had died would kill him, then he should be in hospice care, not running a police force.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 16, 2014

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

It was pretty shallow.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Detective Lance (that will always be his name, even if he's the goddamn Mayor) not knowing about Sara is a way to primp for drama down the line, but I bought the emotions behind it. Luarel can't tell her Dad not because it'll kill him, but because then the death becomes permanent. I bought into Laurel's emotional journey, fully.

Brandon Routh is crazy charming - his ability to play a self-aware dick gave me nice nostalgic memories of Chuck. If you're at all a fan of Arrow's blend of action, drama, and the occasional laugh, you'd probably dig Chuck.

The motorcycle joust scene was derpy and cheesy as hell, but I greatly enjoyed his brief banter with Oliver and Laurel.

I know this is straight up nitpicking, but I really hate the cliched "I fired a gun but it was empty!" device. Anyone who has ever fired a weapon can tell you that a pistol weighs differently with a full clip. As a policeman's daughter who has wielded a gun before, Laurel should've known better. The conversation between Laurel and Oliver in that moment is actually really strong, and I like that Laurel wasn't talked out of pressing the trigger. But the lack of logic threw me out of the scene.

Honestly, I'm just biding my time until next week. I've always been more invested in Thea's story than the average Arrow fan or goon on this board, and I'm really hoping they play into the grayer areas of morality. Oliver basically left Thea to her own devices for two straight years, and flat out abandoned her when Moira died. Thea's grievances are FAR more impactful than Slade's whole "He's crazy, just go with it" schtick.

This sounds way more negative than I planned, so I'll close by complimenting the writers for stronger dialogue. Oliver's "I don't want to die down here" is a strong, strong moment.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Way better episode than last weeks, despite some rough parts. Getting hopeful.

Random notes:
  • SO MANY GODDAMN ARCHERS IN THIS CITY.
  • The tracking tech and the progression of leads was silly, but the episode had a great pace.
  • Best action sequences on TV. The arrow catch was brill and the cockpunch was just as good.
  • The "just feel something!" argument was silly but crying Felicity breaks my heart.
  • Laurel trying to murder that guy was waaay too much. They've managed to make me hate that character even more.
  • The clumsy foreshadowing with Laurel staring intensely at Sarah's jacket was hilarious. (As was Diggle's daughter basically having a name tag.)
  • Sarah's gravestone is still there? How did any of that work? I was half-expecting a Weekend at Bernie's parody when Laurel lied to her father again.
  • I liked the Tommy plotline in theory, but the super low budget fake hostage rescue was so jarringly weird.
  • Between the ~ethnic~ musical cues and the ruling out of Thea/Barrowman, is Ra's everybody's #1 suspect?

By the way, does Ollie know how Amanda Waller was involved with the island at all? Fyres was very much working for her, right?

Hollismason posted:

I like they changed Captain Lances haircut he seems older now and sickly to a degree. I'm sure that was what they were going for but something as simple as a hair cut is really interesting.
I thought the shaven hair made him look sharp. :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

If the League of Assassins and Ra's are going to be in the back half of the season, I wonder if they're going to include Talia al Ghul to fight alongside Ra's. The writers almost have to include her because I can't see Nyssa remaining allied with the LoA.

I don't think it's back half as Ra's is supposed to be showing up in episode 4.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

If he was so frail that the actual death of a daughter he had already assumed had died would kill him, then he should be in hospice care, not running a police force.

Didn't the premiere actually say something about how he shouldn't still be working?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Way better episode than last weeks, despite some rough parts. Getting hopeful.

Random notes:
  • SO MANY GODDAMN ARCHERS IN THIS CITY.
  • The tracking tech and the progression of leads was silly, but the episode had a great pace.
  • Best action sequences on TV. The arrow catch was brill and the cockpunch was just as good.
  • The "just feel something!" argument was silly but crying Felicity breaks my heart.
  • Laurel trying to murder that guy was waaay too much. They've managed to make me hate that character even more.
  • The clumsy foreshadowing with Laurel staring intensely at Sarah's jacket was hilarious. (As was Diggle's daughter basically having a name tag.)
  • Sarah's gravestone is still there? How did any of that work? I was half-expecting a Weekend at Bernie's parody when Laurel lied to her father again.
  • I liked the Tommy plotline in theory, but the super low budget fake hostage rescue was so jarringly weird.
  • Between the ~ethnic~ musical cues and the ruling out of Thea/Barrowman, is Ra's everybody's #1 suspect?

By the way, does Ollie know how Amanda Waller was involved with the island at all? Fyres was very much working for her, right?
I thought the shaven hair made him look sharp. :shrug:

I felt Felicity's sobbing rambling at Oliver felt right. She wants him to act human once in a while, to grieve for someone he loved. She's drat near hysterical because she idolized Sara and suddenly mortality caught up with her larger-than-life "Amazonian" idol. The argument came off as someone who wasn't in any state to be making those kinds of arguments to someone.

And since there was never a body to find, Sara and Oliver had empty graves. Oliver's was, obviously, removed in the first season, but Sara never formally came back. Yeah, the Lances and team Arrow knew, but she never went to the government and said, "Hey guys, I'm alive, and have been a superassassin for six years."

I agree with your assessment on Laurel though. I like that they're giving her stuff to work with now, and I think it can come out really well in the end, but this is a situation where Arrow's trademark breakneck pace isn't working for me. She's been a stagnant character for so long that her suddenly turning into a revenge-crazed vigilante who is twisting the arms of would-be assassination targets to extract information and is ready to charge off quite literally half-cocked after a guy has my suspension of disbelief shaken.

I'm super psyched for next week though. That stinger. "Well done!" "Thanks, dad." Willa Holland is going to steal some scenes this season I'm sure.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Didn't the premiere actually say something about how he shouldn't still be working?

He had a heart attack in last week's episode, so yeah, he's not exactly 100%.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I agree with your assessment on Laurel though. I like that they're giving her stuff to work with now, and I think it can come out really well in the end, but this is a situation where Arrow's trademark breakneck pace isn't working for me. She's been a stagnant character for so long that her suddenly turning into a revenge-crazed vigilante who is twisting the arms of would-be assassination targets to extract information and is ready to charge off quite literally half-cocked after a guy has my suspension of disbelief shaken.

Do you guys not have siblings or something?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

FELD1 posted:

I think my favorite part of this season so far is Thea's new haircut. Strangely, it reminds me of Aria from Game of Thrones.

It's the "I want to speak to the manager" bob cut.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Warmachine posted:

"Hey guys, I'm alive, and have been a superassassin for six years."

This is a side-comment, but it's always bugged me that nobody ever asks about this. I would think that Sara's dad would at one point ask, "So, you work for the League of Assassins? What uh...do you do for them?"

I mean the name inherently implies not-good things, but nobody seems to care about that too much. People had issues with Ollie murdering people, but Sara - no one seems to care. :shrug:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Is there no love for full on Ollie + Roy versus Komodo? And that stunt with the window? I agree with people on this season's pacing feeling odd, but the acrobatics and stunts are top notch.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Do you guys not have siblings or something?

Actually I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IIRC, when Sara first came back she had several scenes with Detective Lance about how she was a killer and did bad things and he went "No, honey, you're my daughter."

Also, smart move on the arrow cast for bringing Tommy back in flashback to remind us that a) Caity Lotz can come back in flashback land! and b) Arrow does keep some characters dead.

• Locked thread