Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I wonder how this new firmware is going to effect the life of the SSD. Those tests that showed it took almost a petabyte of writes before failure, whos going to do that with the new firmware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

jeef posted:

Why can't you have the old drive dangling outside the case? What does the case being too small have to do with it?

Because that means I need to jam my hand into the case to plug in an additional SATA cable and I am lazy.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

BitterAvatar posted:

Because that means I need to jam my hand into the case to plug in an additional SATA cable and I am lazy.

Use a USB to SATA adapter.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

r0ck0 posted:

I wonder how this new firmware is going to effect the life of the SSD. Those tests that showed it took almost a petabyte of writes before failure, whos going to do that with the new firmware?

It will reduce it by one write pass (in other words, not very much). Samsung's description of the bug doesn't support the idea that the drive is going to do any more or less writing, except for the one-time pass necessary to rewrite poorly calibrated data to restore performance.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pimpmust posted:

Before:

After:

Only took an hour to do my 1tb EVO, but I only got like 170gb on it.
I've been wondering, is there any program for the Mac that can generate these kinds of graphs?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The Windows defragger is apparently set to automatically "optimize" my SSD. Since I can see that the program does in fact recognize it as an SSD, rather than a platter drive, does that mean that "optimize" actually means a TRIM-pass, or is it defragging my SSD?

vvv I'm on 8.1, so I'm good. Thanks for clearing that up. vvv

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 15, 2014

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

The Windows defragger is apparently set to automatically "optimize" my SSD. Since I can see that the program does in fact recognize it as an SSD, rather than a platter drive, does that mean that "optimize" actually means a TRIM-pass, or is it defragging my SSD?

On Windows 8+ it'll do a TRIM pass. On Windows 7 it should recognize it is an SSD and leave it alone.

If you're on Windows 7 and it's still trying to defrag your SSD, you can run the Windows Experience Index and it should correct that.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Just updated my Samsung 840EVO I only got it last week so can't compare graphs with the drive with older files on them but the install went smoothly. 250GB took around 20 minutes or so.

Here is a graph.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:geno:

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Lowtechs posted:

Just updated my Samsung 840EVO I only got it last week so can't compare graphs with the drive with older files on them but the install went smoothly. 250GB took around 20 minutes or so.

Here is a graph.

Are you running on SATA II? Your results seem slower than everybody else's.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So has the firmware been released? My magician is saying EXT0BB6Q is the latest

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

dud root posted:

EXT0CB6Q is the latest.

Success! In practice, Skyrim things are loading 3-5 times faster. That and booting was the only slowdown I really noticed anyway, I think.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

dud root posted:

The newest firmware is only available through the Performance Restoration utility. It's not available as a standalone download.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Peanut3141 posted:

Are you running on SATA II? Your results seem slower than everybody else's.

Did some tweaking and got this now. Thanks for pointing it out!

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I can't help but notice the difference between the week old SSD and the year old SSD.

Anyone with an older 840 EVO getting a smooth 400mb/s read speed across their drive?

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Lowtechs posted:

Did some tweaking and got this now. Thanks for pointing it out!

What was the tweaking? Switching MB SATA port, or something more arcane?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sphyre posted:

I can't help but notice the difference between the week old SSD and the year old SSD.

Anyone with an older 840 EVO getting a smooth 400mb/s read speed across their drive?

It is fairly normal for all SSDs to do this over time. Random or semi-random write patterns will naturally fragment the layout of LBAs in flash memory and complicate the mapping table, which makes reading the whole drive back in sequential LBA order less efficient (particularly for drives which can't cache the whole mapping table in DRAM). Fresh, out-of-the-box performance can be restored by an ATA Secure Erase, or by overwriting (or TRIMming) every block in LBA sequential order.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
My laptop is fast, I haven't noticed any issues, but nooo, I just had to click on the SSD thread, and I just had to run a benchmark...

:stare:

Hexagon
Jun 20, 2006

Pudgygiant posted:

My laptop is fast, I haven't noticed any issues, but nooo, I just had to click on the SSD thread, and I just had to run a benchmark...

:stare:

The same thing happened to me when I ran the benchmark. Had a look in the "health" tab there were lots of interface CRC errors, changing the cable fixed the problem. Not sure how easy it is to access or change the cable on a laptop though, assuming it's the same sort of problem.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
How much of an impact will I notice if I use two Samsung SSDs (and lose RAPID)?

The reason I ask is that I have a smaller 840 PRO drive, which I was considering using for my OS and regular software installs, and I was going to get a larger 840 EVO SSD for my Steam/Origin game files. I'd rather not have to be concerned about micromanaging HDD to SSD if at all possible. The equivalent Intel 530 is similar in price to the EVO if mixing brands makes any difference.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Zarkov Cortez posted:

How much of an impact will I notice if I use two Samsung SSDs (and lose RAPID)?

The reason I ask is that I have a smaller 840 PRO drive, which I was considering using for my OS and regular software installs, and I was going to get a larger 840 EVO SSD for my Steam/Origin game files. I'd rather not have to be concerned about micromanaging HDD to SSD if at all possible. The equivalent Intel 530 is similar in price to the EVO if mixing brands makes any difference.

You can keep rapid with two drives, you just have to choose which one it will be active for. (the os drive is probably the best)

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Wonder when they'll have a bootable CD version of the software or something. I'm running Xbuntu at work and don't really want to have to take my hard drive out, attach it to a windows machine, run this software then put it back in my work PC.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

evilskillit posted:

Wonder when they'll have a bootable CD version of the software or something. I'm running Xbuntu at work and don't really want to have to take my hard drive out, attach it to a windows machine, run this software then put it back in my work PC.

On their website, they say that a tool for updating the firmware using os x/linux is coming at the end of the month.

The current tool only supports NTFS partitions, so it may be that at least some of the filesystems will not be rebalanceable, and just the new firmware is installed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Dumb question, where do I get this performance restoration tool? I can't seem to find it on the website.

E: I'm dumb but here's the link for anyone else

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Dumb question, where do I get this performance restoration tool? I can't seem to find it on the website.

E: I'm dumb but here's the link for anyone else

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html

About halfway down the page (search for "Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software"). It also threw me for a loop too, as I assumed that it would be at the top of the page.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Peanut3141 posted:

What was the tweaking? Switching MB SATA port, or something more arcane?

Switched SATA port it was on port 2 and changed the setting recommended in the OP.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I am peeved that the fixed firmware isn't released for the mSATA EVO.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

I am peeved that the fixed firmware isn't released for the mSATA EVO.

Samsung's Download Page posted:

Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software
Samsung is releasing a new firmware and performance restoration software package for the 840 EVO and 840 EVO mSATA.
The firmware update is recommended to users who may have experienced any drop in read performance of the mentioned drives.
Running the software packages provided will first update the firmware(840 EVO : EXT0CB6Q, 840 EVO mSATA : EXT42B6Q),
then scan and calibrate all existing data on the drive.
Note that the update time can be more than an hour depending on the amount of data.
Please wait for the firmware update to complete before starting any other operations.
:confused:

Emphasis mine.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yet in Magician, the same firmware I had last week is on the drive and listed as latest.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

Yet in Magician, the same firmware I had last week is on the drive and listed as latest.
Same here with non-mSATA, I've just been waiting a little bit to make sure no one reports any issues that might not manifest within the first few days.

Kind of curious if they can push it to Magician with the way the restoration tool works or if they'll just eventually put a notice to go and download it. Surely they shouldn't be just leaving people hanging if they weren't aware of the problem at all, right? If I didn't keep reading this thread after I bought mine, I'd have been none the wiser.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Factory Factory posted:

dud root posted:

td4guy posted:

The newest firmware is only available through the Performance Restoration utility. It's not available as a standalone download.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Can I use Samsung Migration Utility to image from an Intel SSD to a Samsung SSD, or do they both need to be Samsung drives?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Karnegal posted:

Can I use Samsung Migration Utility to image from an Intel SSD to a Samsung SSD, or do they both need to be Samsung drives?

Yeah you can, it doesn't really care so long as the destination drive is a Samsung device. It would be kind of useless if it didn't let people migrate from other products to theirs :)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah you can, it doesn't really care so long as the destination drive is a Samsung device. It would be kind of useless if it didn't let people migrate from other products to theirs :)

Thanks! That was my assumption/hope.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I ran the Samsung performance fixer and it worked fine but as far as I can tell Magician says the firmware is the same. Also did anyone else's PC take a really long time to load Windows the first time they restarted after running the software? Seems to be working normally now though.

edit: actually I just can't read and it's only 1 letter difference, and the slow booting is my old SSD being a POS and hanging up the system half the time.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 17, 2014

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Lowtechs posted:

Switched SATA port it was on port 2 and changed the setting recommended in the OP.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but I have a 250GB 840 EVO in another computer, so I want to make sure I don't have the same issue.

Was the setting in the OP you're talking about AHCI or IDE?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

kujeger posted:

On their website, they say that a tool for updating the firmware using os x/linux is coming at the end of the month.

The current tool only supports NTFS partitions, so it may be that at least some of the filesystems will not be rebalanceable, and just the new firmware is installed.
Wow, I thought you were mistaken. But I just tried it with an ext4 drive and it failed. I guess the utility doesn't really have the ability to determine that required 10% free space otherwise.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Been having weird problems with my machine shutting right down when I try to put it into S3 sleep. The only thing that's changed is this recent firmware update. Haven't really had time to dig into logs yet but anyone else with that issue?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

td4guy posted:

Wow, I thought you were mistaken. But I just tried it with an ext4 drive and it failed. I guess the utility doesn't really have the ability to determine that required 10% free space otherwise.

It worked on my SSD that is partitioned with about half NTFS half ext4, and the requirement only checks for 10% free on the NTFS partition. So you could in theory create a tiny, empty NTFS partition just to install the firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Been having weird problems with my machine shutting right down when I try to put it into S3 sleep. The only thing that's changed is this recent firmware update. Haven't really had time to dig into logs yet but anyone else with that issue?

My computer crashed and rebooted last night and the only change was this restoration+firmware. Now it appears to not be putting the monitors to sleep either. The weird thing is my OS isn't even on the EVO. Could be a coincidence but I'm not thrilled.

• Locked thread