Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Songs 3, 4, and 5 off Mimicry:

Ween, Buckingham Green
ZZ Top, I Got the Six
Kiss - Do You Love Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
We Were Witchy Witchy White Women for that signature E6 energy and weird lyrics.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

PantsOptional posted:

If you had the nigh-impossible task of playing just one E6 song for someone to introduce them to the band, which one would it be?

That is a tall task and nigh impossible...Improper Dancing?

E: I did not realize you also wrote nigh impossible in your post.

E 2x: Def not witchy witchy. Decent song, but you need an honest representation of their music that will also hopefully hook them. Witchy is an honest representation of their music, but it's not going to hook anyone.

Highbrow Slick fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 12, 2014

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Different strokes I guess, it's probably my favourite along with Synthesizer.
It's hard to suggest any one track considering they mix up their style so often, that and the sound changed quite a bit after Fire when half the band left.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

If you had the nigh-impossible task of playing just one E6 song for someone to introduce them to the band, which one would it be?

After Hours.
It's not their best song by any stretch of imagination but it's got a hook and it's a good representation of their general style.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

I'm the Bomb is my fave E6 jam so I'd go with that I guess.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
That would be my vote too. I love that song.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Ugh, all 5 people I had lined up to go to the show tomorrow night in Santa Ana have bailed for various reasons. Now I'm sitting here with 6 tickets trying to parse the idea of spending $80 for the train back and forth from Fresno to Santa Ana, and hotel, and drinks/food. Balls.

e: Should have just bought tickets for the Hollywood show tonight and called in sick today.

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
They're not even coming to my home town this year :( They have the last 3 or 4 years but it appears I'm gonna have to travel to Bristol or something.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

These guys are coming to my town in a couple of days and I am excited.

PantsOptional posted:

Dance Commander or Improper Dancing.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

All right, get to voting:

quote:

Crazies, you've done gone and done it. $35K...issa Stretchy. So here's the deal: all of those who have pledged (either now or by the end of voting on Thursday, July 3, 2014) can send us a message via Kickstarter with their selection indicated as to which of the following three songs they wish to see E6 record and include on the "Mimicry" portion of "Mimicry And Memories." Those nominated songs are:

1. Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac - Those of you who witnessed the June US tour likely saw this one done on stage with E6 and Yip Deceiver. The recorded version will include the YD boyz.
2. Easy Lover by Phil Collins and Phillip Bailey - The two Phils. Two Phils and one Valentine. Irresistable.
3. In The Dark by Billy Squier - This one came thisclose to being included on "M&M" right out of the chute. It is a master class in early 80s AOR sass and emotions in motion. Wait, that's another song...

Again, submit your song choice via Kickstarter by 11:59 PM Eastern on Thursday, July 3 to us. We'll tally the votes and let you know which one is coming to fruition.

The correct choice, of course, is Easy Lover, so if you don't vote for that prepare to be mauled by badgers when you least expect it.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

OH NO MAN posted:

The correct choice, of course, is Easy Lover, so if you don't vote for that prepare to be mauled by badgers when you least expect it.

This is correct. The only problem I'm having is deciding on which package to go with. Its between the poster and the Tait Nucleus? mix. I have the poster from the last Kickstarter, so I was thinking about keeping that going, but the mix could be pretty good so I'm torn.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Well, Everywhere won with 60 votes. However, since Easy Lover got 55 votes it was announced as the $45k stretch goal. :woop:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

That's it, badger maulings for everybody. :argh:

Seriously though, Everywhere is a great choice as well, and since we're most likely getting Easy Lover anyway I'm perfectly fine with how this turned out.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

This got posted to their Facebook page a bit ago, which includes some of the song titles for Human Zoo.

Electric Six posted:

Welcome to the Official ELECTRIC SIX Facebook page.
Biography
The concept of the “human zoo” has existed in art and literature for centuries, thus Electric Six recognizes and accepts it is not breaking new conceptual ground by naming its tenth studio album Human Zoo. It recognizes and accepts that old ground is being broken. Like teeth.

The first known reference to a human zoo is believed to be from the mid-to-middle 12th century, when the famous Flemish monk Wenslaus De Trappe wrote of his base desires to cage human beings and charge money to display them in humiliating fashion in his classic 14 Trappist Monk Tales. From there, the human zoo concept snowballed and could be found everywhere from Restoration literature (Lord Percy Nutton’s Northumberland Abbey), to Nazi propaganda (Die Mensch Zooiedieschennel) to 20th Century American counterculture (Tal Rosenberg’s 20 Days on Acid – I Am a Pinhole Camera), the last of which where the author famously imprisons his lawyer/traveling companion in a cage and places him at the corner of Haight and Ashbury to stand trial for helping contribute to a bad trip.

Electric Six recognizes the legacy of the human zoo concept and throws its hat into the conceptual milieu with a great deal of respect and humility. We do not seek to define the human zoo, nor do we seek to deconstruct it. We seek to explore it. We seek to expand it. And most of all, we seek to sell it to you.

Electric Six recognizes that when men and women are placed in cages and displayed like animals, a power dynamic is being constructed. The human in the cage has his basic rights discarded, his dignity stripped from him, whereas the human who pays to observe other humans establishes his superiority just by casually standing and watching, choosing to leave whenever he likes. In this same way, Electric Six seeks to put itself on display in such a manner that empowers the listener and debases the band all while making everyone feel like partying.

From the opening track “Karate Lips”, Human Zoo takes the listener immediately into a teenage karate tournament for girls as refereed by Def Leppard. The crunchy guitars hit you in the face like a teenage foot and you immediately remember why you purchased or illegally downloaded this latest Electric Six album.

Like many E6 albums, Human Zoo does not have one defining sound, rather it is a sampler’s plate of the entire history of rock and roll music. Like Motown…now we are doing Motown. “Alone With Your Body” is the feel good necrophilia anthem of the summer and it sees the band embracing this oft overlooked section of our hometown’s musical history.

From there we ramble into the spaghetti-western marching band good times of “Gun Rights”, the triumphant Disnification of “I’ve Seen Rio in Flames”, and into the absurd hip hop of “(Who The Hell Just) Call My Phone”. Thrown in a few classic rockers in “I Need A Restaurant” and “Worst Movie Ever” and you’ve got an E6 album, son!

But it’s not an E6 album until the closer is better than the rest of the record combined. The gorgeous, haunting pop of “The Afterlife” might be the greatest thing the band has ever done. Ever.

Okay we said some stuff, told you some song titles, and threw you a few bones. Come on now, buy the record! Who cares about all that other stuff? Have a go, see what happens! Give it a shot! Human Zoo is available on Oct. 14 on Metropolis Records. Come see Electric Six play in your town this fall on the Some Girls Do It for Love tour. Visit electricsix.com for tour dates.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

You have less than two hours to contribute to the Kickstarter if you have not done so already.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

quote:

While "Mimicry And Memories" as a completed product is still several months away, we're happy to announce the final track listing for both discs now. Note that the eventual sequence may not adhere to what's listed here, but the tracks listing itself is complete.

MIMICRY

1. One (Harry Nilsson)

2. The Warrior (Patty Smyth and Scandal)

3. The Look (Roxette) - Smorgasbord selection

4. Ah Leah (Donnie Iris) - Dick Valentine selection

5. Buckingham Green (Ween) - DaVe selection

6. I Got The Six (ZZ Top) - Tait Nucleus? selection

7. Do You Love Me? (Kiss) - Percussion World selection

8. Girls Want To Be With The Girls (Talking Heads) - Johnny Na$hinal selection

9. Everywhere (Fleetwood Mac) - Crazies' selection

10. Easy Lover (Phil Collins and Phillip Bailey) - Crazies' selection

11. Turn Me Loose (Loverboy) - Crazy selection

12. - Rockets (Tomas Ford) - Crazy selection

13. Stuck In A Closet With Vanna White (Weird Al Yankovic) - Crazy selection

14. Cat People (David Bowie) - Crazy Selection

MEMORIES

1. Intro from "Exterminate" Tour

2. Dance Epidemic (XFM Session)

3. Typical Sagittarius

4. The Shiek Don't Lie

5. Taxi To Nowhere Piano/Vocal demo

6. Short Love

7. Night Vision Demo

8. I Don't Speak French Demo

9. I Can Translate Demo

10. My Struggle With Heroin

11. Free Samples Demo

12. Bad rear end

13. Gay Bar (Live at Manumission)

14. Dancing Like An Idiot - Valentine Demo

15. Technical Difficulties

16. Slices Of You - Nash Demo

18. Strike While The Iron Is Hot - Nash Demo

19. Ziggy - original song written for "Absolute Treasure" Kickstarter project

20. White Eyes - Demo

21. Bleed For The Artist - Demo

22. loving In Another Man's Clothes - "Human Zoo" outtake

23. Suitcases - "Human Zoo" outtake

24. WikiLeaks - "Human Zoo" outtake

Get hype.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All the hype in the Boston thread reminded me - Kaboobi, can you tell us now which song you picked for Mimicry?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Turn Me Loose by Loverboy. Was gonna be a Bowie song, then I talked to them during a boat show asking them to choose between a few ideas they had, and they hinted they might already have a Bowie.

And Dick apparently really loving likes Loverboy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Human Zoo just dropped on Spotify and I like it a lot so far.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Alone With Your Body is incredible

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I loving love I'm The Devil.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Looked at their setlists from the current tour and confirmed that "Karate Lips" is their new show opener, at least for this tour. Which I am psyched for, it is my favorite song off of the new album so far and seems like an awesome way to open the show, with the chanting and all.

Kaboobi posted:

Was gonna be a Bowie song, then I talked to them during a boat show asking them to choose between a few ideas they had, and they hinted they might already have a Bowie.

Your life is fascinating.

I am not thrilled with Cat People, it seems like there are so many other short, funky Bowie songs that would be perfect for E6. Maybe the point is to do something different though. Personally I would be torn between Moonage Daydream ("I'll be a rockin' rollin' bitch for you") or Diamond Dogs (Dick screaming "This ain't rock and roll! This is genocide!!" at the beginning would be worth the price of admission alone).

Your choice is golden though, and I'm also psyched for a lot of the other covers.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I was torn between Moonage Daydream and Young Americans, actually. Moonage Daydream is my favorite Bowie song but I think they could do an amazing Young Americans.

Human Zoo is on Spotify. I really like it, more than Mustang, at least. Alone With Your Body is one of my new favorites.
Live shows seem to start off with Karate Lips and It's Horseshit, and then play (Who the Hell Just) Call My Phone during Improper Dancing.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Satanic Wheels and Afterlife are fuckin jams, straight up.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It definitely feels a lot like Fire and Señor Smoke to me.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Cracked up at Gun Rights, and I Need A Restaurant gets really good as it goes along.

Edit: Oh god, I'm The Devil. "I put death in a bottle, and called it Mountain Dew"

Kojiro fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 16, 2014

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
There's a live stream of the show at the doubledoor running right now for those interested.

https://gigity.tv/event/91751

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Pops Mgee posted:

There's a live stream of the show at the doubledoor running right now for those interested.

https://gigity.tv/event/91751

This is pertinent to my interests since I couldn't go last night because I'm human trash.

(Who the Hell Just) Call My Phone during Improper Dancing is as glorious as I had hoped.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

Alone With Your Body is incredible
It took me way too long to realize what the song was about, I just liked it because it's a cool tune... and now I like it even more :hawaaaafap:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Grim posted:

It took me way too long to realize what the song was about, I just liked it because it's a cool tune... and now I like it even more :hawaaaafap:

So I didn't misunderstand the lyrics? That's hosed up...edly awesome.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 19, 2014

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Oh! That's what he means with "crack open a cold one"! :haw:

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Who The Hell Just Call My Phone has my favourite Electric Six riff in years.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Makes a good ring tone too.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I was just, you know, hoping that everybody could get along n poo poo.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

toggle posted:

I was just, you know, hoping that everybody could get along n poo poo.

NO!

I am entirely in love with Karate Lips, hell of an opener.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Well, the mystery of the Bowie comment has been solved: they're doing a cover of "Blue Jean" for a Bowie tribute album.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

One of my least favorite Bowie songs :smith:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I'm personally super disappointed with Human Zoo, I feel like there's minimal development and the lyrics have finally gone over the edge from surreal/funny to just words in places.

That said, Satanic Wheels is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm personally super disappointed with Human Zoo, I feel like there's minimal development and the lyrics have finally gone over the edge from surreal/funny to just words in places.

That said, Satanic Wheels is great.

What about Alone With Your Body?
That one is among the top 5 best E6 lyrics, IMO.

That said Human Zoo was a bit underwhelming. Good but not much more than that.

• Locked thread