Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

Yeah, I'm aware, but I want to be a good cop, if there is such a thing. I mean, I love helping patients and dealing with crazies as an EMT, but the pay is piss poor.

It's something I've considered, because I do like helping people if I can, but I'm not sure I could cope with it emotionally. It's hard enough for me even just dealing with animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

Baller Witness Bro posted:

You make a lot of good points in the last few posts. I guess I just feel in these situations it's best to be as aggressive as possible in hopes to squash it before it becomes a risk in many other locations. That's being optimistic though I know. I think shipping these people off safely to Atlanta is a good plan. Emory seems well equipped to handle things at least.

Hearing that they let that nurse on the plane even after she called the CDC complaining of fever makes me want to loving slap someone in the face. I realize she probably just talked to some intern or something but who the gently caress doesn't have the common sense enough to say "no fuckhead, let us to come to you ASAP!".

Yeah, what we are seeing now is a bunch of big organizations that are having trouble translating perfectly good procedures that are in a binder somewhere and which everyone has had two hours of training into actual implementation. Every fuckup is actually helping make sure that things go better from that point on. You do have a *slight* problem that showed up in Dallas where protocols weren't actually implemented until a guy who was very *likely* to have Ebola was confirmed as having it, because those protocols are expensive and unfamiliar. You may see a few more of these in the US or UK in particular where health care is either for-profit or managed like it is.

Honestly, the worst-case transmission scenario we will ever see in the West is a cluster of family members of a hospital cleaner, who will be undocumented migrants from somewhere or serious rednecks (or non-US equivalents) and either because of fear of the authorities or jeebus or something won't access medical care. But they are not going to infect their neighbours or whatever. Seriously, do not lay awake at night worrying about Ebola.

There is a public health emergency ramping up right now, and it's the same every year - influenza is going to kill thousands of people in North America who don't have to die, because those who are most vulnerable are the least likely to get vaccinated. SO all you goons who have other health problems, get your drat flu shot.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

Time for a rant.

My sister has an Aussie spec (cause thats where I live) 2003 Kia Sportage, apparently after she got her stereo replaced her car power radio antenna stopped going up and down as needed so she asked me to have a look.

Now the problem is that she is as messy as hell and it doesn't help he has a small child (yay my cousin!) so the inside was a MESS, this in turn triggered a cleaning conniption which resulted in me taking out the front seats and vacuuming the hell out of the thing and cleaning/vacuuming/using car shampoo in a spray can to clean the hell out of the cars interior. I also ended up having to take out the center console parts and soaking them in a sink to get all the crap off them, and while this was happening I re-did the stereos wiring loom which was just bare conductors twisted together with a bit of tape and soldering/taping them together properly.

After all this I had a look at the head unit and found no electric antenna trigger wire on the unit however I did find an amp trigger wire so I decided to use this, however I could not find anything to connect it to even after tracing the aerial cord. It was definitely an power antenna which in turn was said to have gone up and down as required when the old head unit was installed but I could not find a way to trigger it, plus taking the top bolt off the antenna and yanking on it to get it out did not work either as it was held fast.

So in the end I put it all back together and was left with a car with a much cleaner interior, a car radio wiring harness that will hopefully not catch on fire, and still non functional power antenna. Now I don't consider it a waist of a day however it has been very frustrating, plus when you consider that there is gently caress ALL information about how the power antenna on this make and model of car is triggered, not to mention a loving wiring diagram for the thing. My only option I can see is getting to the power antenna itself which lives behind the front right wing but that will involve removing part of the trim to get at the inner mudguard so I can remove it and get at the antenna unit. I was going to take the wheel off for easier access but the wheel lugs were torqued to hell making it impossible to get off, so if my sister found herself on the side of the road with a flat tire she would of been in trouble.

So much word salad I hope that made sense.

Anyway I find AI being my only hope, can one of you be my Obi Wan Kenobi and give me an idea of how the hell the power antenna in this thing is triggered? Or where I can find somewhere on the wiring loom to trigger it before I go mad?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Butt Wizard posted:

Someone give me the loving confidence to drive my toy to work tomorrow instead of my Corolla.

It'll be fine, I said so.

STR, that menu is one of the things wrong with the NHS over here, the food they offered my wife after birth I would have expected from a prison canteen, it wasn't fit for people trying to improve their health.

Glad you're better.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Nothing to do at work today so I'm playing delivery driver and stock room clerk. So so so boring.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Devyl posted:

After 5 years, she said she needs to have her own space for a while. She's been gone for 5 days now. I hate this because I know how it ends 99.99% of the time.

:sigh:

:( That sucks.

Seems like it's the time of the year. I've got people all around me whose relationships/lives are spiraling...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T-Square posted:

Can you please? Just so I can stare at your M3 all day. Also, come ice-hooning :getin:
I miss ice racing and general winter driving so much.

Devyl posted:

After 5 years, she said she needs to have her own space for a while. She's been gone for 5 days now. I hate this because I know how it ends 99.99% of the time.
:ohdear: crap, sorry man.

1st Edition ADandD posted:

SO all you goons who have other health problems, get your drat flu shot.
poo poo I knew I forgot something. And guess who picked up something on the flights the other day...feel like poo poo right now. Must be the Ebola.

no, none of you guys get the M3

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
gently caress you too sinuses

I am pretty sure I could use the goop I am coughing up as wallpaper paste :barf:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

The entire series, summarized.

I couldn't do it. Fast and Furious was just too much stupid to swallow. I got like 30 minutes in the second one and had to eject the DVD in rage.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
To be fair, the second one was an order of magnitude worse than the rest of them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was given the box set for my birthday and I couldn't tell you which was which, other than Tokyo drift.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I hope you realize how wrong you are. The F&F movies documentaries are all awesome and it's impossible to contest their greatness. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bajaha posted:

I hope you realize how wrong you are. The F&F movies documentaries are all awesome and it's impossible to contest their greatness. :colbert:

You mean trash, right?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I enjoyed those movies for what they were, cheesy action movies.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

All the F&F movies directed by Justin Lin, minus Tokyo Drift, are dope.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

mariooncrack posted:

I enjoyed those movies for what they were, cheesy action movies.

This, if you can't sit down with some beers and some friends and have a good time watching these films you are probably dead inside.

Sorry to hear about your relationship, Devyl. It's been a rough month for AI and breakups it seems.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Devyl posted:

Dang. Between STR and all the break ups this fall has been a rough few months for AI...

We all need to go out and buy a new heap to wrench on.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I TAKE A BUS TO ALLENTOWN PA ON TUESDAY TO HAVE TRUCKS SHOVED UP MY BUTT. YAY ME.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Breakups and bowels

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Butt Wizard posted:

Someone give me the loving confidence to drive my toy to work tomorrow instead of my Corolla.

Think of what kastein drives every day and have confidence. It'll be fine.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Goober Peas posted:

Breakups and bowels

Thread title.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Devyl posted:

Dang man, don't freak out if you can.. Getting clingy and spewing "babe come back!" messages isn't gonna help. If she has already made a decision to bail it's just going to push her away faster if you start getting clingy. If she really does just want to not see you (totally reasonable - familiarity breeds contempt sometimes) then maybe some time off will cool her down and give her time to think.

Get out with some friends, do what you like to do and stay positive. Locking yourself inside and staring at your phone waiting for a text or something is just gonna make you miserable.

1st Edition ADandD posted:

Yeah, what we are seeing now is a bunch of big organizations that are having trouble translating perfectly good procedures that are in a binder somewhere and which everyone has had two hours of training into actual implementation. Every fuckup is actually helping make sure that things go better from that point on. You do have a *slight* problem that showed up in Dallas where protocols weren't actually implemented until a guy who was very *likely* to have Ebola was confirmed as having it, because those protocols are expensive and unfamiliar. You may see a few more of these in the US or UK in particular where health care is either for-profit or managed like it is.

Honestly, the worst-case transmission scenario we will ever see in the West is a cluster of family members of a hospital cleaner, who will be undocumented migrants from somewhere or serious rednecks (or non-US equivalents) and either because of fear of the authorities or jeebus or something won't access medical care. But they are not going to infect their neighbours or whatever. Seriously, do not lay awake at night worrying about Ebola.

There is a public health emergency ramping up right now, and it's the same every year - influenza is going to kill thousands of people in North America who don't have to die, because those who are most vulnerable are the least likely to get vaccinated. SO all you goons who have other health problems, get your drat flu shot.

Here's Obama's statement after meeting with his cabinet. I think these points emphasize what I was hoping for as far as a response goes:

"Here are the actions the President is putting into motion to ensure we effectively treat and prevent the spread of Ebola:

The CDC will now send a rapid response team, a "swat team, essentially" to be on the ground within 24 hours as soon as someone is diagnosed with Ebola so the CDC can walk the local hospital through the protocols step-by-step. That includes use and disposal of protective equipment.
We are communicating the lessons learned from the problems that occurred in Dallas to hospitals, clinics, and first-responders around the country on a ongoing and up-to-date basis.
We are working carefully with the city of Dallas and the state of Texas to ensure that, in the event any other cases arise among health workers, they are properly cared for in a way that is consistent with public safety.
We are "contact-tracing" to ensure that anyone who may have come into contact with the affected individuals are being monitored in a way to prevent the further spread of this disease.
We will continue to monitor the health status of the other health care workers in Dallas.
We will continue screening processes at airports and make sure teams are in place to transport suspected cases to specialized, secure hospitals if needed.
We will continue to lead the international response in West Africa because "the investment we make in helping Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea deal with this problem is an investment in our own public health."
"This is not a situation in which, like a flu, the risks of a rapid spread of the disease are imminent," the President said. "If we do these protocols properly, if we follow the steps, if we get the information out, then the likelihood of widespread Ebola outbreaks in this country are very, very low."

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 16, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Sardikar posted:

Time for a rant.

My sister has an Aussie spec (cause thats where I live) 2003 Kia Sportage, apparently after she got her stereo replaced her car power radio antenna stopped going up and down as needed so she asked me to have a look.

Now the problem is that she is as messy as hell and it doesn't help he has a small child (yay my cousin!) so the inside was a MESS, this in turn triggered a cleaning conniption which resulted in me taking out the front seats and vacuuming the hell out of the thing and cleaning/vacuuming/using car shampoo in a spray can to clean the hell out of the cars interior. I also ended up having to take out the center console parts and soaking them in a sink to get all the crap off them, and while this was happening I re-did the stereos wiring loom which was just bare conductors twisted together with a bit of tape and soldering/taping them together properly.

After all this I had a look at the head unit and found no electric antenna trigger wire on the unit however I did find an amp trigger wire so I decided to use this, however I could not find anything to connect it to even after tracing the aerial cord. It was definitely an power antenna which in turn was said to have gone up and down as required when the old head unit was installed but I could not find a way to trigger it, plus taking the top bolt off the antenna and yanking on it to get it out did not work either as it was held fast.

So in the end I put it all back together and was left with a car with a much cleaner interior, a car radio wiring harness that will hopefully not catch on fire, and still non functional power antenna. Now I don't consider it a waist of a day however it has been very frustrating, plus when you consider that there is gently caress ALL information about how the power antenna on this make and model of car is triggered, not to mention a loving wiring diagram for the thing. My only option I can see is getting to the power antenna itself which lives behind the front right wing but that will involve removing part of the trim to get at the inner mudguard so I can remove it and get at the antenna unit. I was going to take the wheel off for easier access but the wheel lugs were torqued to hell making it impossible to get off, so if my sister found herself on the side of the road with a flat tire she would of been in trouble.

So much word salad I hope that made sense.

Anyway I find AI being my only hope, can one of you be my Obi Wan Kenobi and give me an idea of how the hell the power antenna in this thing is triggered? Or where I can find somewhere on the wiring loom to trigger it before I go mad?

Have you tried Kiatechinfo.com?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sardikar posted:

It has to be in the stock harness, check some Kia forums and maybe you can find a schematic on what wire is what. Besides, if the aftermarket unit doesn't have a power antenna lead I'm not sure it will work anyway. If you use the remote lead for the amp the antenna would pop up every time she turned on the car and wear it out twice as fast, you want the antenna up only when the radio is turned on, and if the head unit doesn't have that lead you're SOL. Most of the cheap aftermarket units don't have that option.

Your other option is run power to it to pop it up then just disconnect the power and leave it up for good, then at least she will get radio reception.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 16, 2014

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

bandman posted:

While my wife and I have been separated...distract myself and keep from spiraling further into the depths of depression and self-loathing

Devyl posted:

kastein posted:

gently caress you too sinuses

I am pretty sure I could use the goop I am coughing up as wallpaper paste :barf:

Some Texas Redneck posted:

hospital fun

Viggen posted:

BP from Hell

These all suck; nothing to add but my condolences.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bandman posted:

While my wife and I have been separated, I have had lots of time on my hands. To distract myself and keep from spiraling further into the depths of depression and self-loathing, I have been playing back through some old PS2 games from way back. Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy X and I forgot how much I enjoyed playing it the first time around.

My cousin and his wife divorced after nearly 20 years of marriage a couple years ago. To occupy his thoughts and more importantly time so he didn't spiral, he took a stab at stand up comedy. It ended up being one of the best things he's ever done because it allowed him to throw his thoughts out there and spin it into humor for other people. Your mileage may vary.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The gently caress you say. Tokyo Drift was amazing, it was the last of the street racing movies in the series before they went all "The Adventures of Paul Walker and His Crazy Crime Crew". Seriously, I love Fast 5 and Furious 6 or whatever the hell they called them, but goddamn, the 4th movie marked a really weird turn in the series.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

I'm back on the drugs (that killed River Phoenix), so my blood pressure is closer to normal. I don't really want to live on these drat things, though.

I got the Ford all fixed up and got 'er smogged. Passed (well duh its the 4.0 after all). For some reason it seems to run better when you perform the required maintenance. I got 20mpg going into town. I'm getting about 25 out of the SAAB. :stonklol:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Viggen posted:

I'm back on the drugs (that killed River Phoenix), so my blood pressure is closer to normal. I don't really want to live on these drat things, though.

Cocaine and heroin?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

TD is the best one you fool.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

goatse guy posted:

Cocaine and heroin?

Just the opiates. :v: You, of all people, I would have expected to get a TISM reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRbgG0bc5wk

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
God dammit, this is what I get for using ebay to buy something for the first time in 4 years. Forgot to update my address and now it's going to the last place I lived.

Apparently UPS will let you redirect a package but I'm about to lose my poo poo trying to get the UPS MyChoice website to actually let me loving do it.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Viggen posted:

Just the opiates. :v: You, of all people, I would have expected to get a TISM reference.

Sorry, the only band I listen to is Propagandhi. I could have sworn we went over that.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

God dammit, this is what I get for using ebay to buy something for the first time in 4 years. Forgot to update my address and now it's going to the last place I lived.

Apparently UPS will let you redirect a package but I'm about to lose my poo poo trying to get the UPS MyChoice website to actually let me loving do it.

I had an oh poo poo moment like that last year when we moved to the country and my package went to the previous residence. Fortunately it hadn't closed escrow yet and the neighbors kept a lookout for it and got it for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

I forgot to update my address on my Amazon store for 3 weeks after I left and of course a super expensive item was returned undeliverable to the old address. The property manager swore up and down that it never arrived despite his signature being on record with UPS. I did finally get an insurance claim out of it but the buyer was super pissed and still left me negative feedback.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Viggen posted:

How have I never heard of this band? Definitely checking out the rest of their catalog now.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

When I went to Germany earlier this year for work they had all of the F&F movies on instant watch on my flight. That stint from salt lake to Paris made it so I could binge watch them all. I enjoyed them way more than I thought I would. The second one was bad, Tokyo Drift was awesome.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Do scrap yards accept clean crumpled up balls of aluminum? I started saving all the tabs from the soda and beer cans I drink and would like to add to the pile. I use aluminum foil everyday at work and since I make wraps the foil is always clean.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They do, although you might run into problems with scrap yards thinking you stole it from somewhere, people stealing scrap from our scrap and chip bins is a reoccurring issue where I work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rscott posted:

They do, although you might run into problems with scrap yards thinking you stole it from somewhere, people stealing scrap from our scrap and chip bins is a reoccurring issue where I work

There was an episode of VICE that dealt with dudes who made their entire living off scrapping, including a guy who kept breaking into scrap yards and selling the stolen scrap to other yards.

• Locked thread