Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Seconding the need for both mario galaxies. I was largely disappointed by most Wii entries, but Galaxy 1 and 2 are worth the price of admission alone.

The metroid prime trilogy remake for the Wii is awesome - but its also hard to find. A quick amazon search pulls up used copies for sixty bucks.

I'm completely unsure about Skyward Sword. I tried to get into it a few years ago and sent it back after flinging my controller against the wall after dying five times in the first dungeon due to motion controls not responding. I am, however, probably going to rent Skyward Sword sometime soon and try and give it another go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Skyward sword is summed up perfectly in Hyrule Warriors so just skip to Warriors.

I was planning on playing through the "official" timelines per Historia, which unfortunately all start with Skyward. Is it really skippable and that bad to play?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Skyward Sword is really good

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Jay-V posted:

New Super Mario Bros U (If I get this one, I don't need the others, right?)
This is correct. And NSMBU is the best of the New Super Mario Bros. games (except the Luigi DLC for it is even better), so if you're only going to play one it is the one to get. Oh and don't listen to the guy who said not to get Skyward Sword, in my opinion it's one of the better recent Zelda games. The problem with the recent Zelda games (except maybe ALBW) is that each of them excells only at parts of what makes Zelda a popular franchise in the first place, so the post-OOT 3D Zelda games are rather divisive, depending on what you want out of the experience. Some people really like Twilight Princess but hate Skyward Sword, but for me, for example, it is exactly the other way around. So my advice is to play them all and make up your own mind about them.
EDIT: Also, absolutely do not play Zelda in "timeline order" or anything crazy like that, in fact, just ignore the timeline completely, it's irrelevant nonsense. Just play them in the order they were released in.

PrBacterio fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 16, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TheHoosier posted:

I was planning on playing through the "official" timelines per Historia, which unfortunately all start with Skyward. Is it really skippable and that bad to play?

Skyward Sword is super good, it just has a tragically slow opening.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The best parts of Skyward Sword are in Hyrule Warriors (including the gameplay) so you can safely skip it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay-V posted:

So I'm yet another person heavily considering a Wii U and thinking about games I would get. However, I also skipped the Wii entirely (my last system was the GC before I became a poor college student), so I was also wondering what must-have Wii games there are that I could pick up for cheap.

Here are games I'm already interested in, for both Wii U and Wii; mostly into platforming/action but I'm open to other genres. Is there anything I'm missing?

Wii U:
Smash, once it's out
MK8
3D World
Tropical Freeze
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Hyrule Warriors (maybe)
Bayonetta 2 (maybe)

Wii:
Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime remakes
Resident Evil 4 (Is this worth getting if I've played the GC original already?)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (should I get this if I get Tropical Freeze?)
Mario Galaxy 2

Bonus question: Who would you recommend Xenoblade to...is it just a typical JRPG?

if you have a 3DS get the 3DS version of DKCR instead, so you don't have to deal with the waggle controls for rolling and stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skyward Sword is good and fun. If you want a 3D Zelda and haven't played one in a while it will scratch that itch and you'll probably enjoy it.

But man, Hyrule Warriors... I can't believe how much I like this game. I know I'm coming at it from the perspective of someone who's never played a Warriors game, so if you've played and are tired of those you probably won't get as much out of it as I am. But for me it's like nothing I've ever played before and it's incredibly fun. It has some things I wish they'd done better, like a bit overly complex and grindy weapon mechanic and some poorly designed challenges in adventure mode. But the vast majority of the game is so polished and cleverly designed with a truly staggering amount of stuff to do. I think it's really great, and today the size of the game is going to almost double.

Play Hyrule Warriors.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Here's the article that got me to rethink Skyward Sword - http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/12/03/legend-zelda-skyward-sword-review-exegesis/

Its bizarre to think that there's only been five 3d zelda games.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
I actually really dug Skyward Sword. If you don't wanna do anything regarding motion control, skip it. Took some getting used to the fact that you can't just waggle the remote to beat it (unlike most motion control games, you actually have to be aware of your movements). Loved the dungeons, loved the more tactical "real sword" combat, and the mini-games are pretty fun too. gently caress the skydiving haters.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

And what's worse is out of those five 3-D Zelda games only one was actually good. Unless you also count the one of the 3DS it then that brings a number to a whopping two.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Skyward Sword is a great game that suffers from a bit of bloat and very, very hit or miss controls. If they work for you, the game is an absolute joy, and if they don't you will despise every minute of it.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
As for the Wii U, The Wonderful 101 is like $30, so definitely get that. You can also look at Bayonetta as getting two games for the price of one since it comes with a port of the first game along with some new extra features. A lot of people enjoy Zombi U which you can pick up for really cheap.

For the Wii, I can't recommend Mario Galaxy 2 enough, but both games are great. The first one is only $20 new now and Galaxy 2 has gone down in price too, I think. I really like the new controls for RE4, and I consider it to be the best version. It's not a must-buy if you want something new, but it's a great way to play the game again if you want a different experience. Of the Wii Zelda games, Twilight Princess is cheaper, but I think Skyward Sword is a much better game. Some people have problems with the controls, but I thought they were intuitive after getting an hour into the game. Whatever faults it has in wordiness and excessive tutorial can be shared with Twilight Princess and most other Zelda games.

Other cheap Wii games I recommend are No More Heroes (like $10) and Mario Strikers Charged (also around $10). I was going to suggest the Pikmin ports but drat those really got expensive.

Also, Xenoblade is a good RPG for either people who enjoy MMO's or for people who are tired of really conventional JRPG's. It has a lot of quality of life things that make the game flow well like auto-healing after battles and automatically turning in side-quests. Something to fault it though is that I think that it is a touch on the easy side, especially if you actively do most of the side quests, and battles can be a little simple. That said, you never really need to grind for the main encounters, and there are a lot of neat features like being able to see who will die from major boss attacks and being able to stop the outcome from happening. It's not my favorite RPG, but it's a good, solid game. It's also among the Mario Galaxy games as being really gorgeous games for the Wii.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Macaluso posted:

if you have a 3DS get the 3DS version of DKCR instead, so you don't have to deal with the waggle controls for rolling and stuff.

I'm gonna counter this and say that the higher resolution and over double the framerate of the Wii version trump the 3DS version, even with the control issues.

Besides, you can easily run a homebrew patch to add Classic Controller support.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm gonna counter this and say that the higher resolution and over double the framerate of the Wii version trump the 3DS version, even with the control issues.

I just finished the 3DS version, and it has it's own control issues. Specifically, dying on a super easy jump because the analog circle is not exactly right (a little bit up from dead set right) and it interprets it as "walk slowly" instead of "run at full speed".

The lower resolution really gets to be an issue because later in the game, enemies and hazards are on fire, and it becomes extremely difficult to tell when something is or is not on fire.

The last guys shoots a bunch of stuff around that is on fire including hearts, and it's sooooo difficult to tell when it's safe to grab the heart or walk on ground that was set on fire by a fireball. I'd say half of the 50 or so lives I lost in that battle was because of issues with not being able to tell when something was or was not on fire.

Basically, there's no perfect version of DKC Returns. Save yourself the frustration and get Tropical Freeze. I had fun with it, but I felt like a lot of my deaths were because of design/control issues with the game and not because I hosed up.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Do this.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Child of light and Shovelknight were awesome. What's the next awesome indie game that I can look forward to?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Also, back to DKC Returns on the 3DS. Because of the smaller screen and lower resolution, any of the automatically scrolling stages (barrel and mine cart) didn't give you enough time to react to upcoming things, so you basically had to replay the level 8 or 9 times to see what the next part was, die, start over, get passed that part, die at the next part, rinse and repeat.

I know people hate the waggle control for the Wii version, but trying to put that game on the 3DS brought a host of other problems that are non-existent on a larger screen with a higher resolution and a real analog stick.

Edit: Oh, and the clearance for some parts of the rocket barrel parts were razor thin, like, on the level of 3 or 4 pixels, again, because of the extremely low resolution of the 3DS.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

davey4283 posted:

Child of light and Shovelknight were awesome. What's the next awesome indie game that I can look forward to?
Affordable Space Adventures.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

And what's worse is out of those five 3-D Zelda games only one was actually good. Unless you also count the one of the 3DS it then that brings a number to a whopping two.
I'm pretty sure Ocarina of Time is the worst 3D Zelda, so I really hope you're not saying it's the only good one.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You're right Majora's Mask was pretty good :haw:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
3D Zelda games:
Ocarina
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword
Hyrule Warriors

Good 3D Zelda games:
Ocarina
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Hyrule Warriors

Thank you. :)

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Neo Rasa posted:

3D Zelda games:
Ocarina
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword
Hyrule Warriors

Good 3D Zelda games:
Ocarina
Majora's Mask
Wind Waker
Hyrule Warriors

Thank you. :)

I'm glad you settled this, finally.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

zfleeman posted:

It's a good thing I'm here to make the tough calls.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Is this a good place to post that Wind Waker, which was the first game I bought the U for, is boring me to death, only to be saved by party games and the Mario Galaxy games?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Skyward Sword is really good with some of the best dungeons in the 3d series. For the motion controls:
1) Be sure not to backswing (i.e. if you want to swing right, just move the wiimote right, resist the natural impulse to move slightly left in preparation).
2) If your sword becomes stuck off-center, then recalibrate in the pause menu (instead of just setting the remote down).

Those two things fixed every issue I was having with the controls.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Is this a good place to post that Wind Waker, which was the first game I bought the U for, is boring me to death, only to be saved by party games and the Mario Galaxy games?

This is the a thread for general discussion of the Wii U and you're talking about a Wii U game so I'm not totally sure.

I really loved Wind Waker myself, the only thing I'd ask is if you're making liberal use of the teleportation song since many were bored on the Gamecube one too from doing all the backtracking by just sailing. Otherwise, it is a pretty sprawling game and the difficulty is extremely low so I can totally understand people not digging it.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Twilight Princess isn't for everybody, Skyward Sword isn't for everybody, Wind Waker isn't for everybody.

Problem solved.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

davey4283 posted:

Twilight Princess isn't for everybody, Skyward Sword isn't for everybody, Wind Waker isn't for everybody.

Problem solved.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Neo Rasa posted:

This is the a thread for general discussion of the Wii U and you're talking about a Wii U game so I'm not totally sure.

I really loved Wind Waker myself, the only thing I'd ask is if you're making liberal use of the teleportation song since many were bored on the Gamecube one too from doing all the backtracking by just sailing. Otherwise, it is a pretty sprawling game and the difficulty is extremely low so I can totally understand people not digging it.

I haven't played the HD version yet, and I'm worried the difficulty thing will really turn me off this time around. I think I only played through the original once when it came out. But really, I'll be playing that game in HD for the spectacle, I guess.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

davey4283 posted:

Problem solved.

TP's main problem is just how uninteresting it is. It adds a slightly darker ascetic and then mostly rehashes OoT (more so than usual). It's not really a "it's not for everybody" situation. If you like 3D Zelda, there's nothing really controversial in there, just not much that's all that amazing. It was a game that was also severely hurt for me by the fact that I played it directly following Okami (which is one of my favorite games period) another flawed Zelda game where you play a wolf but one I found to be way more interesting on every possible level.

The statement on the other two are accurate. Maybe one day I'll go back and finish SS but I just got sort of bored with it. It's not so much that I have a seething hatred for motion controls, it's that the game really didn't do all that much with them and doing the same action over and over and over got boring really fast. I like WW but the size of ratio of how big the map is to how much stuff is actually in it is a problem for me. I can see why some people would like it though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The HD version has a Hard mode though right? Or is that a second playthrough only affair?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

Well except for one late-game boss fight. You know the one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think TP has plenty of amazing things in it. :shrug:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

The HD version has a Hard mode though right? Or is that a second playthrough only affair?

It does and you can enable it whenever.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well except for one late-game boss fight. You know the one.
No I don't, actually. One of the boss fights in Wind Waker is supposed to be hard? What?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay-V posted:

So I'm yet another person heavily considering a Wii U and thinking about games I would get. However, I also skipped the Wii entirely (my last system was the GC before I became a poor college student), so I was also wondering what must-have Wii games there are that I could pick up for cheap.

Here are games I'm already interested in, for both Wii U and Wii; mostly into platforming/action but I'm open to other genres. Is there anything I'm missing?

Wii U:
Smash, once it's out
MK8
3D World
Tropical Freeze
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Hyrule Warriors (maybe)
Bayonetta 2 (maybe)

Wii:
Skyward Sword
Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime remakes
Resident Evil 4 (Is this worth getting if I've played the GC original already?)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (should I get this if I get Tropical Freeze?)
Mario Galaxy 2

Bonus question: Who would you recommend Xenoblade to...is it just a typical JRPG?

Ignoring people's weird taste in Zelda, you clearly like platformers so do yourself a favor and get Rayman Legends

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Wow, thanks for the response guys. I did not realize Bayonetta 2 came with the first game, so I'll bump it up in priority. I was worried that it was going to be a simplistic hack and slash, but it seems people really like it despite that (ditto for Hyrule Warriors). And I'll make it a point to somehow try out Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword before making a purchase. Don't care at all about the story.

As for the Galaxy games, I'll take a second look, but I dunno; the whole "explore throughout the same level multiple times for stars to progress in the game" idea doesn't really appeal to me. I know I'm weird but I like the more linear style of the 2D Marios: reach the 'end' of the level, maybe find a secret exit, maybe collect some special to unlock secret levels. Would the Galaxy games offer anything like that for a freak like me? 3D World does seem to be a nice compromise.

EDIT: I'll look into Rayman too!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PrBacterio posted:

No I don't, actually. One of the boss fights in Wind Waker is supposed to be hard? What?

Puppet Gannon is a bitch to nail with light arrows in some of his phases.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

PrBacterio posted:

Probably talking about Puppet Ganon, which is more obnoxious than hard, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
That boss is only hard if you have the hand-eye coordination of a sponge.

Shoot where he's going to be, not where he is!

• Locked thread