Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ft2unokwk4

This is my favorite, crazy, constantly interrupting clan witch was #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

:frogsiren:Ian Gower has joined the OSRS team!:frogsiren:

Also some other news about OldSchool Iron Man was posted today.

The major OSRS highlights from RuneFest 2014 included further details on the new continent planned for next year, with cities/towns that sound a fair bit like RS3 elf city clans. Most of the expansion is still in planning phases.

The Corporeal Beast has also been entirely recreated and recoded, and is set to be released any time now, with three of the original spirit shields/sigils as unique drops.

sKai white
Feb 5, 2014
So I went to Runefest, turned out they didn't do pints; they sold beer in the bottle. Feels like drinking on park benches all over again.
My mate dropped out last minute because he had to finish helping build an aeroplane at work (literally), What a noob.
Ended up going to London for runefest anyway, gave me a chance to visit the old man the day before. Started talking to everyone around me, many sperges who couldn't look me in the eye whilst speaking and continuously gave me short answers to anything I said; sometimes mid sentence. Met a top yank bloke called Dennis though, a comp caper who seemed like an ordinary chap. Sat with him and watched all of the stage stuff, poo poo was romantic.

The after party was a complete shambles, too many young lads drinking like tits, "Yeah I love this beer, I drink it all the time, beer is great, beer beer beer."
(I say young lads, they're my age and older, but seem 5 years younger)

Here's a cracking selfie of George Clooney showing off his phone with signatures of some devs/Slightly renowned players. Something to show my mate when I get back, he's going to be a jealous gently caress.

You have no idea how sore the back of my throat is after getting all those signatures. Managed to get them all of after with a wet wipe.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

sKai white posted:

So I went to Runefest, turned out they didn't do pints; they sold beer in the bottle.

^ Runefest ruined.

sKai white posted:

Ended up going to London for runefest anyway, gave me a chance to visit the old man the day before.

^ This is legit cool.

sKai white posted:

Started talking to everyone around me, many sperges who couldn't look me in the eye whilst speaking and continuously gave me short answers to anything I said; sometimes mid sentence.

^ This is :laffo:

sKai white posted:

You have no idea how sore the back of my throat is after getting all those signatures.

^ This is not surprising.

sKai white
Feb 5, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

sKai white posted:

Ended up going to London for runefest anyway, gave me a chance to visit the old man the day before.

^ This is legit cool.

Yeah he's a pretty cool bloke, he grew up learning how to program while drinking guinness like a tank. Now he's a middle aged professional programmer for a firm in mid London who earns a nice salary, but despite appearing like a decent member of society, he managed to tank nine pints of Guinness down while I was struggling with my fourth. Then he beat me at snooker. My hero. Then I had to get up for Runefest, urgh. Almost didn't go.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

sKai white posted:

Started talking to everyone around me, many sperges who couldn't look me in the eye whilst speaking and continuously gave me short answers to anything I said; sometimes mid sentence.

^ This is :laffo:

The most awkward interaction was this lad who made a trimmed comp cape to wear. It looked like he'd made a bit of an effort with it so I thought I'd pay him a compliment.

The conversation went something a little like this:

Me, "Nice cape mate that looks pretty tricky, how'd you manage to put something like that together?"
Him, "Thanks"

He looked directly at the floor as he walked off.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
HOW DID YOU NOT MAKE A JOKE ABOUT 99 CRAFTING

YOU MONSTER

allta
Mar 28, 2011
Okay I give up, pubies have mmuch more free time than I do and don't have to juggle 2 kids.

Still not a bad effort though:

I will keep playing on hardcore though just not trying to stay high up on the ranks because wow that is a time sink.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

allta posted:

Okay I give up, pubies have mmuch more free time than I do and don't have to juggle 2 kids.

Still not a bad effort though:

I will keep playing on hardcore though just not trying to stay high up on the ranks because wow that is a time sink.

The person ranked 1 has their kids doing the farming for them. :cmon:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

The person ranked 1 has their kids doing the farming for them. :cmon:

Now I'm imagining a Hinze-run Runescape sweat shop starting with her kids.

"No little Hinze you can't take a break from killing hellhounds, you need to get the scrolls for the glorious MITRES"

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The hardcore player who is currently #1 in agility is Level 56 in the skill. After one day.

Jesus gently caress, pace yourselves.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Poonerman posted:

The hardcore player who is currently #1 in agility is Level 56 in the skill. After one day.

Jesus gently caress, pace yourselves.

You may say this but agility is probably one of the easiest skills to ironman, considering the resources required for it are food. Though, there are required quests for most of them so that's a real challenge.

Have fun iron manning all the summoning ingredients you spergs.

Preid
May 22, 2014
Wow, I've not even thought about RuneScape since 2008 when I quit, this game still exist? I might have to pop on one day for a stroll down memory lane.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Preid posted:

Wow, I've not even thought about RuneScape since 2008 when I quit, this game still exist? I might have to pop on one day for a stroll down memory lane.

It has literally the best goon clan/guild/whatever in the history of SA so it is the best and worst game on the internet.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

How Rude posted:

It has literally the best goon clan/guild/whatever in the history of SA if you can ignore the puns so it is the best and worst game on the internet.

This is true.

Professor Oak
Jun 8, 2010
So I have an awesome idea. If hardcore Ironman means perma-death, find ways to locate hc ironman pubbies, get them killed, and become the griefers we were meant to be. Also since they can't return to their graves, loot their stuff.

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?
That would be great if all of their banked stuff either drops at their grave or straight into Falador's party house.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Mix posted:

That would be great if all of their banked stuff either drops at their grave or straight into Falador's party house.

This. We need this.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you ever want to really, really hate humanity, go listen to the pubbies at w84 LRC for a couple days.

Why, why, in god's name WHY did Jagex take away the ability to turn off pub chat entirely? I used to be able to set it so their stupidity didn't even show up in yellow letters over their characters. Blissful, blissful silence.

E: That said, Rocktails still own. Magres' guide to 99 fishing:

0-90: Do stuff
90-99: Load up on portents of the porter, afk in LRC for hours on end, make like 40m

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 17, 2014

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Magres posted:

If you ever want to really, really hate humanity, go listen to the pubbies at w84 LRC for a couple days.

I disagree with this, fishing in W84 LRC is actually a great way to steel your heart and mind. Once you've had three seperate pubbie discussions about religion, anime and american politics going at the same rocktail spot, at the same time, you can handle anything.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Isn't the fastest fishing training like 35k an hour?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Nah you can get like 45k-50k in LRC. Still slow as poo poo, but it's super afk and makes decent money

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
BEXP exists for a reason.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah for Herblore, Prayer and Summoning.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Average Bear posted:

Isn't the fastest fishing training like 35k an hour?

C2 fishing

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Dr. Mix posted:

I wish there was some way to do a 'killcam' making them watch everyone else get the loot from the party house before they can start another character.

Also:

allta
Mar 28, 2011
The first grave I found and I could not loot it.

#ironmanproblems :colbert:

twizzlespark
Sep 24, 2014

Twizzlespark.
drat, i used to play this as a kid

it used to be so fun

maybe i should start again

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

twizzlespark posted:

drat, i used to play this as a kid

it used to be so fun

maybe i should start again

I too just read the thread because I was like "people still play this game?" and drat I haven't played since like 2008, poo poo looks like a different game now.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's also the only Gold thread in MMO HMO :sparkles:

We're the best

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

well this is disgusting

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

Simsmagic posted:

well this is disgusting

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

It's me. I secretly took everyone's old names as they changed to Pizzas >:-)

Hoppeduppeanut
Oct 27, 2013

Once a pizza, always a pizza :allears:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Simsmagic posted:

well this is disgusting

it's because of that godawful UI you have

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
The OP mentions a list of important quests, but it's in the archived thread. Could anyone repost it?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Simsmagic posted:

well this is disgusting

Try BadPoster. Its close enough. :mmmsmug:

Themata posted:

If this is remotely true I'll take back all some of the stuff I said about you and your puns.

joachim783
May 9, 2013

Elswyyr posted:

The OP mentions a list of important quests, but it's in the archived thread. Could anyone repost it?

Sure thing. :)

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 20, 2014

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Poonerman posted:

it's because of that godawful UI you have

i'm sorry to say that it's actually perfect

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Themata posted:

I swear to god if you're the one who snagged "NachoBaronen" I will overthrow you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joachim783
May 9, 2013
All credit for this goes to our old clan leader manyorcas.

What should I be doing? – Notable quests everyone should do.

A common question among our new players in Runescape is that they simply don’t know what to do next – Runescape is huge now, with over 10 years of development, it really is hard to answer “okay, what now?” My first recommendation is usually to point to quests, as not only are Runescape’s quests good introductions to most areas of Runescape, they’re also fairly unique in MMOs with their adventure game-style format. Every single quest in the game has some sort of unique reward (or is a pre-requisite for another quest that has one), so in the long run I do recommend trying to get as many as possible. For this guide though, I’m going to point out some of the quests with the best rewards that you’ll want to shoot for quickly.

All of these quests are Members only, those that are still free to play should go ahead and do all of those quests up to Dragon Slayer, as all of them are eventually required at one point or another to complete Members quests as well.

I will only include a few Master level quests and no grandmaster quests – at that level, nearly every quest has some sort of fantastic reward or another, so it would be silly to name all of them. Another thing I won’t include is “quests that are required for completing Tasks”. There are far too many of them to list, and you get a list of them in-game anyone by looking at the requirements for the tasks.

Quests that earn money

Throne of Miscellenia and Royal TroubleAfter completing these quests, you can earn over one million gold every week with little effort! I’m specifically listing this one first for that reason! Throne of Miscelania opens up the Managing Miscelania activity, and Royal Trouble gives you 50% more workers to work in it. In Managing Miscelania you are given a number of workers that gather a certain amount of resources each day, at the cost of a modest investment beforehand to pay them. You can ignore the activity for weeks at a time so long as you leave the coffers with enough money (less than a million gold per week with both quests done) and you grind back your approval rating just before collecting the resources. This Spreadsheet fairly accurately predicts which resources in Managing Miscelania will reward you with the biggest profit.

Recipe for Disaster – Recipe for Disaster (RFD shorthand) is a peculiar quest that comes in 10 different parts, each requiring different quests and cooking pre-requisites to do, ranging from simple beginners quests all the way up to master level quests. After completing the first part of the quest, The Culiromancer’s chest appears in the basement of Lumbridge castle, in the far corner from the ladder. This chest doubles as a bank and a shop for cooking ingredients. Many of these cooking ingreadients, most notably chocolate, can be re-sold at the Grand Exchange for a large profit. The more parts of RFD you complete, the more ingredients are available with a larger stock. Note that every time you complete a part of RFD the chest restocks itself automatically, so feel free to clear it out multiple times quickly while you’re doing the quest.

The Hand in the Sand – gives you 84 buckets for free every 24 hours by talking to Bert in Yanille. Very easy to take advantage of with the lodestones network.

The Fremennik Isles - grants you access to Vanligga Gastfrihet who you can buy 1000 yak hides a day from at 50 gp each, these commonly sell for 550gp-650gp each which is 500k-600k every day this is significantly more than Miscellenia.

Quests that grant experience

Tears of Guthix – Unlocks the minigame by the same name that you can do every week for experience in your lowest skill. The more quest points you have, the longer you can play the minigame. Tears in the minigame also scale with level, but only up to level 30, so beyond that you need to do more quests to earn more experience on average (the minigame is very chance based, don’t get frusterated playing!) Completing The Lost Tribe will unlock a shortcut to get to the minigame quickly from the Lumbridge castle basement.

Cold War and Hunt for the Red Raktuber – Increase the rewards from the Penguin Hide and Seek minigame. Cold War gives the 5 more difficult penguins double points, while Red Raktuber gives a bonus stationary polar bear spy for another point each week. Points turned in for experience scale with the level of the skill you choose, with a high enough skill level it becomes tens of thousands of exp for ~20 minutes of play! Using World 60 and the main penguin chat, Worl60pengs, makes the minigame much easier. The Distractions and Diversion subforum in the official forums also has penguin hunter threads on other worlds, in case one on 60 becomes completely lost or world 60 is too full.

Quests that unlock areas

Aside from Priest in Peril, many of the areas unlocked by quests are only useful during the quests themselves or their sequels, so instead I’ll be listing all the quests that have penguin spawn in them for the penguin hide-and-seek game. There’s a fair chance I’ll miss a few, but I will be sure to include the most common spawns at least.

Priest on Peril – Morytania (Very important, huge area!)
Cabin Fever – Mos Le’Harmless
Regicide – Tirannwn, The elf lands (and sometimes Roving Elves), since one spawn is in Lletya
The Fremennik Isles – Jatizso and Neitiznot
Throne of Miscelenia – Miscelania and Etcetera
Lunar Diplomacy – Lunar Isle
Ichlarin’s Little Helper – Sophanem (or use a Pharaoh’s Scepter)
Death to the Dorgeshuun – Dorgesh-kaan, the underground goblin city
Monkey Madness – Ape Atoll
Lost City - Zanaris

Quests that help you travel around quickly

A Fairy Tale – Completing part one and partial completion of part II (you do not need the skill requirements of part two) gives access to the fairy ring network. The fairy ring network has a HUGE number of locations it can send you to, it makes things such as questing and penguin hunting a breeze. This Map shows all of the fairy ring locations (as well as most of the other teleports in the game). Part III is required to unlock the Ape Atoll location and gives you the ability to use fairy rings without a Dramen or lunar staff.

For extra convenience, complete The Elder Kiln for a ring with unlimited teleports right next to a bank and fairy ring! It’s a fairly high level quest, however, but it’s easily one of the most useful quest rewards in the game.

Ghosts Ahoy – rewards with the ectophile, an item that can teleport you back to port Phasmatys an unlimited number of times. Useful for farm running or getting anywhere in Morytania before unlocking the fairy ring network.

Refer to this wiki page to see a whole bunch of other quest and non-quest teleporting equipment.

Quests that give useful equipment

The Fremennik Isles – Jatizso and Neitiznot – Rewards you with The Helm of Neitznot, one of the best melee helms in the game! This helm is only upgrades to this helm are the Slayer Helm (situational), Statius’s Helm (only lasts an hour at 3 million gold :psyduck: ) and Torva Full Helm (80 million gold). this is no longer the case since the EOC came out there are now quite a few helms better than this one. Be wary, despite the “experienced” difficulty of this quest the boss battle is fairly challenging.

Recipe for DisasterAlso in the Culinaromancer’s chest, you can purchase a set of The Culinaromancer’s gloves, with a higher tier available for each part of RFD you complete. The tier 10 gloves are some of the best equipment in the game, second only to Domion Tower Gloves for overall bonuses. this is no longer true these gloves are now beaten in specific styles by the bandos, armadyl and subjugation gloves along with torva gloves, pernix gloves, virtus gloves, Pneumatic gloves, tracking gloves, static gloves and the previously mentioned Domion Tower Gloves.

The Elder Kiln – Rewards you with TokKul-Zo, one of the most useful all-around combat rings (without playing Mobilising Armies for hours. Which I assume you do not). TokKul-Zo is also useful for quickly getting to a bank and the fairy ring network. Replacing and recharging the ring costs 48,000 Tokkul, so be careful with it!

The Elder Kiln is the most difficult quest I’ve listed here, at least as far as combat goes. It essentially teaches you prayer switching if you don’t know how to already, and having a well trained prayer skill helps your prayer potions last longer during the final gauntlet. The 75 Magic requirement isn’t easy to get either.

Miscellaneous Quests

Smoking KillsUnlocks earning Slayer Points for doing slayer tasks due to an update you still earn slayer points if you haven't done this quests but only half the normal amount. As was just pointed out recently, slayer is a great overall productive activity, which trains combat skills, earns money, collects charms, and slayer points just sweeten the deal. You can use slayer points for so many things I had difficulty categorizing this reward. It ranges from being able to make the Slayer Helm, which combines the Black Mask (get a black mask if you do any slaying!) and most pieces of slayer gear into a high defense item, to the Slayer Ring which opens up several new teleports, to just trading them for death runes (Magic Dart) to earn even more money.

Quests that are actually… Fun???

Starting late last year, Jagex started releasing fully voiced beginners quests that are quite a bit more enjoyable than their usual quests. These quests have no skill requirements and require no items that you can’t get in the quest areas themselves. I’m specifically not going to link to the guides for these since they’re straightforward enough to not need them, and one of them is somewhat spoilery. Sound and music very strongly recommended for all of these quests.

One Piercing Note – Starts in the Catharede Abbey east of Al Kharid. Murder mystery with a musical theme. Also like the fourth murder mystery quest so far jeez. You can talk to the Abbess to find out how many clues you’re missing at any point during the quest.

Let them Eat Pie – Skill tutorial quest in Taverley. Steal from the rich then do much, much worse things to the rich.

Songs from the Depths – Starts west of the well in Rimmington. Investigate a mysterious illness that has left several men in Rimmington in a deep sleep.

If anyone has any other quests they think deserve mention here, feel free to post them here, PM me, or bug me in game. I’m trying to keep a certain threshold of “useful” here though, so I’ll be using some discretion for what I will and will not add to prevent this list from just becoming “All of them. All of the quests (you should do all the quests. (except Elemental Workshop III(gently caress Elemental Workshop III))).”

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 21, 2014

• Locked thread