Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The e-shop update is always noon est so a bit more than an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Cia's similar to Zant in the way that you stomp your way to victory. Keep on stomping, never stop putting keeps under your heel.
I've had some success against captains with Wizzro by using his XY to launch then using his kinda slow to reach out strong attack to grab the captain. It's a bit like Midna's XY, it can grab pretty much anything.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Regy Rusty posted:

The e-shop update is always noon est so a bit more than an hour.

See this is why I like SA. Ask a question, get a helpful answer! Thank you very much, shaking-fist avatar person.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Unlocked the summoning gate last night. I'm not sure if I just need a non-zero star version or what's wrong here, it feels super slow and useless. What's the deal?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Sockser posted:

Unlocked the summoning gate last night. I'm not sure if I just need a non-zero star version or what's wrong here, it feels super slow and useless. What's the deal?

Gotta learn it's gimmick. First start by doing the base heavy attack to summon a random monster. If you like it, then do the combo to summon that monster to do their full attack. Just doing a combo normally does their weak attack. Think of it like a reverse Sheik.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sockser posted:

The summoning gate's basic combo is rather bad (the first 3 hits are okay, but the last two take too long, especially the last one), but it's not based around them. Instead you use the summons from BY (dodongo), BBY (manhandla), BBBY (gohma), and BBBBY (argorok) to wreck house. They're each strong on their own, but using Y outside of a combo will summon a random one and power it up for the next time you use it, provided you do a second Y after its combo. You have to play around with the various summons a bit to get a feel for what they do, but in general they have huge range and do a lot of damage, but can be tricky to it with.

The summoning gate is very much not a get-in-and-beat-on-dudes weapon, but that's what makes it fun to use. You want to stay largely at range not just to stay safe, but also because that's where you're going to get better use out of their aoes. Also don't spend too much time cycling through the powerups on summons to get the one you want. They're all strong enough that it's not really worth it. Getting argorok still feels great, though.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Quick impressions:

Cia seems pretty versatile. Excellent area control, can kill giant bosses quickly, good basic combo..she just seems to have trouble killing officers and commanders, though it's possible I just haven't figured out the best way to use her combos yet.

Wizzro's attacks are pretty slow to come out, but some of pack quite a bunch. The laser beam is pretty good at killing officers and his regular strong attack is fantastic against weaker enemies like the outpost captains or keep bosses since it basically one-shots them. His special is also pretty good.

Unsurprisingly, Volga is a beast. Breaking an enemy's guard basically at will? Yes please.

Link's horse is surprisingly slow, but seems pretty powerful otherwise. Can be a bit hard to control though. The rank 1 horse is Epona, so I'm curious what the other ranks will be called.
Also, their victory animation is just adorable.

Only did the first Master Quest Adventure Mode mission so far. In it, you need to rack up as many KOs as possible in a set amount of time and killing officers and bosses spawns more reinforcements. Basically it's an improved version of the "Kill x enemies in 10 minutes" missions.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Dunban posted:

Only did the first Master Quest Adventure Mode mission so far. In it, you need to rack up as many KOs as possible in a set amount of time and killing officers and bosses spawns more reinforcements. Basically it's an improved version of the "Kill x enemies in 10 minutes" missions.

Were giant bosses spawning hot on your rear end forcing you to run away because they take too much time to kill?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Kaubocks posted:

Were giant bosses spawning hot on your rear end forcing you to run away because they take too much time to kill?

It just spawned one Dodongo, didn't see any other ones. Who knows what it's gonna look like in later versions of that mission.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
When I first play as Volga I will not fight with him. He will stand in lava until he burns to death. He will brutalized by bokoblins. He will stand gormlessly in front of one belly-flop after another. He will block Bombchu detonations with his face. He will be skewered by Stalfos, battered by reptile-men, lasered, broken, burnt. He will fall ten thousand times only to rise again ten thousand more, and no matter how he entreats me he will not die.

Then, only then, will his penance be paid for being such a god drat pain in my rear end during quiz battles.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I don't know why you guys all have such hate boners for quiz battles, they're great for farming materials.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Alacron posted:

I don't know why you guys all have such hate boners for quiz battles, they're great for farming materials.

It's so boooooring.

I'd rather do a giant battle for 10 minutes than kill three dudes for five minutes.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So, has the update come out yet?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

The best levels are always the battles, especially since they get more elaborate than the story mode. Everything else ranges from mediocre to terrible.

PureRok posted:

So, has the update come out yet?
Not as of this minute.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Dunban posted:

Link's horse is surprisingly slow, but seems pretty powerful otherwise. Can be a bit hard to control though. The rank 1 horse is Epona, so I'm curious what the other ranks will be called.

Check the gallery. Rank 1 is Hyrule Warriors Epona, rank 2 is Twilight Princess and rank 3 is Ocarina of Time

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alacron posted:

Because they suck poo poo. I don't feel like the game mechanics work AT ALL for 1-on-1 combat, especially when you're actively trying to not hit someone else that is also attacking you.

Last night I did a level 99 network link. I was immediately under siege with four Dinolfos INSIDE MY ALLIED BASE and I spent 15 minutes straight battling them and their souped-up level-99 health with my under-level-50 Darunia. It was great. I wasn't forced to avoid hurting anyone. When my special meter or health was getting low, I could pound on mooks to bring those back up. I felt like I was actually accomplishing things.

Quiz battles and grinding for materials are loving boring and I don't care about either of them.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Update just started downloading for me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you don't see the update yet, try starting or restarting the game from the Wii U menu, that just got it going for me.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Patch lets you turn off adventure mode boss cutscenes. GOTY.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also the two updates are staggered a bit. I currently have only the free update actually loaded into the game, but the Master Quest DLC has just started downloading.

Star Guarded posted:

Patch lets you turn off adventure mode boss cutscenes. GOTY.

Yeah I'm so glad they did this. Make sure you switch that poo poo off right away everyone!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I didn't mind cutscenes so much, except during the rewards map. Having five go off at once is insanely annoying.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Went and tossed a ton of Rupees at Volga to boost him to level 18, but couldn't give him any attack badges since I don't have whatever common material it is that unlocks his first Kokiri Sword badge (I assume it's a Hylian thing, since I haven't unlocked Gannondorf in Legend Mode yet and therefore haven't really fought any of those outside the mind controlled dudes in the Skyward Sword path).

Even without any badges, at level 18 he managed to just completely tear apart everything in the first Master Quest Adventure Map (5 minutes to kill as many dudes as possible). It was awesome. :buddy:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Naerasa posted:

I didn't mind cutscenes so much, except during the rewards map. Having five go off at once is insanely annoying.

It was annoying occasionally because it can interrupt attacks. Also Giant Bosses in particular can start their attacks during it and hit you as soon as it ends which is hosed up.

Oh god what to start with there's so much new stuff I can't decide

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

W.T. Fits posted:

since I haven't unlocked Gannondorf

Stop everything you're doing and do this. He's the greatest.

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009
I really started wishing I could turn those cutscenes off when fighting Lana and the Poe Brigade. Once you skip the cutscene, you're dropped right into a ton of fireballs with the camera facing the wrong way. The cutscene is their opening special attack.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There are some new mechanics in the Tutorial, make sure you take a look.

Specifically, there's a new Clock item that freezes enemies if you touch it, and the new Master Quest adventure mode map has special rules for each level.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So I just have to wait until they decide to push the update and DLC to me, huh? That sucks. :(

(Not that I should be playing right now anyway. But still.)

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
The free update pushed through nicely for me, but I'm not seeing any sign of the paid one yet. Is there something special I need to do to get it (aside from buying it, which I already did)?

EDIT: Ok sweet there we go! All I did was go in and out of the eshop. Not sure if that actually did anything but I've got new stuff!

FormerPoster fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 16, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Holy Balls Volga is as broken as Ganondorf! More maybe!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cia's pretty cool. Really great as a range character. Send out Dark Links to run ahead and attack, then follow up by shooting balls of darkness. Plenty of great AOE stuff too.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Hmm. Not sure how to feel about Wizzaro. It seems like a lot of his power comes from his great juggling potential, but I dunno he just feels kind of awkward and clunky. Got no idea how I'm supposed to use his stinger, and his lift seems to come out too quick compared to his regular attacks to follow up on.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

"Cia summoned a army of monsters but quickly realized she had no idea what she was doing and set out to find someone who did"

This extra story is already fantastic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"Cia summoned a army of monsters but quickly realized she had no idea what she was doing and set out to find someone who did"

I like how both Wizzro and Volga are like nah gently caress you I just want to do my own thing so she has to mind control them. Literally no one likes Cia. :allears:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

GameXplain is streaming stuff from the new DLC, in case you want to see it in action first: http://www.twitch.tv/gamexplain

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sounds like smart villaining to me.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

chumbler posted:

Sounds like smart villaining to me.

Yeah that's just knowing how to delegate. Cia could be the next Apprentice.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Just think of how many villains summon monsters without bothering to control them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Epona is insanely sick.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I don't really get Epona feels like I'm doing something wrong. The important thing is I just did the first masterquest map with Volga and I will never play anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
Played a few of the new legends mode stages. Cia's self-buff, basic combo and Y-X-X-X are all pretty good, but I'm not sure about her other strong attacks. They seem pretty slow and don't have a lot of range to them although you do seem to be able to dodge-cancel out of the bigger ones without interrupting their effect.

Meanwhile, Wizzro excels at murdering the game's framerate. He also gives great advice such as murder all the fairies in Hyrule to make sure they won't help the hero.

• Locked thread