Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Aurune posted:

Big wreck in yesterday's T2 race at the SCCA Runoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SN4kBJYi0w

The thud is sickening. Thankfully everyone is okay.

I want to believe the driver of the white car perhaps lost control under braking but that reeks of Turn 1 Heroes from my experiences at online racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ringo Star Get posted:

I want to believe the driver of the white car perhaps lost control under braking but that reeks of Turn 1 Heroes from my experiences at online racing.

White car got pushed to the dirt by the black/green car under heavy braking and once the tires touched the dirt there goes the braking power and it spun out.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla
Chris Harris leaves Drive, taking his videos back to a free YouTube channel

Jesus-Hoonigan-Christ, this makes me happy.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
What Chris actually said makes it sound like he's still going to be doing stuff with Drive

Great news nevertheless, Chris is great

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is going to be a massive ego check for spinelli. Outside of harris's videos, only 3 driveplus videos are over 10k views, and they only seem to have about 6000 consistent subscribers.

Driveplus barely broke an hour of content in the last month, and without chris harris's stuff, they're barely breaking 2 hours in the 2.5 months they've been charging. Their solution for people in countries that can't subscribe to pay youtube channels is to sell each 10 minute episode for $1.

I'm glad the "experiment" failed. If every group making an hour of video per month figured it was worth $4/person, it would cost 40 bucks to have a lazy sunday.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Party Alarm posted:

What Chris actually said makes it sound like he's still going to be doing stuff with Drive

Great news nevertheless, Chris is great

Matt Farah is currently being butthurt about it on Reddit:

quote:

that's the business/PR equivalent of breaking up with your girlfriend and saying "I still want to be friends, though." Cursory, polite, but ultimately, a waste of words.

I'm sure he does want to keep the door open to work with drive in the future. Thing is, he doesn't have the keys to the door, so it's not his decision. And I don't think everyone else in the company would be particularly thrilled to see him return at this point.

So I doubt he's planning to leave any time soon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hah, Matt Farah bitching about someone elses ego. He's using harris defending the company as evidence of his ego? When the driveplus stuff first came about, he angrily laughed at the suggestion that they would have to make the content better to justify the cost citing the free channels subscriber numbers as a sign of the quality.

This is more like an artist and record label disagreeing over the price of an album. Harris wants to create something that more than 10,000 people, nobody at /drive has enough business sense to make that at reality. They're trying to make the economics bend to what they want to do rather than the other way around.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I had completely forgotten drive existed. Fat Matt always seemed like a bit of a goit. I've enjoyed most of Chris Harris' videos though so I think it's a good move on his part.

Motortrend seems to be trying out a few different video approaches. I quite enjoyed top truck this year . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCU-HpHdE7Y&list=UUsAegdhiYLEoaFGuJFVrqFQ presenter aside, some interesting vehicles.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrGFjAlawmg&hd=1

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I wonder how many times he brained himself on a pole during practice.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I don't know, I don't mind Matt. I kinda like his videos. From what he was talking about in that thread, it seems like Chris pulled a lovely move since apparently he was the one to push for the subscription model.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Powershift posted:

This is going to be a massive ego check for spinelli. Outside of harris's videos, only 3 driveplus videos are over 10k views, and they only seem to have about 6000 consistent subscribers.

Driveplus barely broke an hour of content in the last month, and without chris harris's stuff, they're barely breaking 2 hours in the 2.5 months they've been charging. Their solution for people in countries that can't subscribe to pay youtube channels is to sell each 10 minute episode for $1.

I'm glad the "experiment" failed. If every group making an hour of video per month figured it was worth $4/person, it would cost 40 bucks to have a lazy sunday.

How do you figure 6000 consistent subscribers?

Its hard to tell, the 14 day free trial distorts a lot of the videos views.

Driveplus is expensive as gently caress for what it is though, not disagreeing with that. It should also be noted that driveplus has had 2.5 months of hand wringing with non-americans (and UK?) to be patient while they figured out how to let people simply buy episodes. They JUST started vimeo. Considering chris is launching his own website its pretty clear he thinks youtube is a piece of poo poo. I also would not be surprised at all if chris had an offer too good to refuse given to him. There is so much dead weight on drive that no one wants to fund it when they can just have the only guy who is basically top gear quality.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Anarchist Mae posted:

So I doubt he's planning to leave any time soon.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30564

Letter matt farah refers to.

Always wondered how drive pulled it off considering how utterly pointless most of their videos were (watch us sit on this couch and talk about fr-s vs s2000 for 20th time, etc)... wonder no more they were being funded by youtube for 2 years! Amazed youtube even funded them for that long

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I don't like Matt. (Something about getting famous doing illegal poo poo on the road rubs me the wrong way.) But if what he's saying is true, I will respect Chris a little less. And to be honest. And honestly, his comments on that linked reddit thread are more than believable.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

How do you figure 6000 consistent subscribers?

Its hard to tell, the 14 day free trial distorts a lot of the videos views.

Driveplus is expensive as gently caress for what it is though, not disagreeing with that. It should also be noted that driveplus has had 2.5 months of hand wringing with non-americans (and UK?) to be patient while they figured out how to let people simply buy episodes. They JUST started vimeo. Considering chris is launching his own website its pretty clear he thinks youtube is a piece of poo poo. I also would not be surprised at all if chris had an offer too good to refuse given to him. There is so much dead weight on drive that no one wants to fund it when they can just have the only guy who is basically top gear quality.

the videos jump to about 6000 views within a day or two of posting, then trickle up to 8000 or 9000 in the next month. 6000 is a generous estimate, but still only represents $1260 in revenue per employee per month.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Ziploc posted:

I don't like Matt. (Something about getting famous doing illegal poo poo on the road rubs me the wrong way.) But if what he's saying is true, I will respect Chris a little less. And to be honest. And honestly, his comments on that linked reddit thread are more than believable.

The numbers are that it cost chris 9000gbp to make a video that got about 4500gbp worth of revenue with 2 million views. Matt then says he makes his videos for $2500.. which is great but who cares if those videos do not bring in 2 million views? because they certainly do not.

Chris Harris 2.5 months ago figures "i can either make lovely low cost content and hope to get clicks with my name, or make great content and hope people want to pay for it", took a leap for the latter, it failed, because $4 for 30 minutes of chris harris every month isnt affordable. Chris probably got an offer from someone who realized he was going to waste on driveplus, and required he dump it immediately. No big surprise. Chris took a bet, it failed, and he had an out. Matt farah seems to do 90% of his content on the smoking tire, so i really struggle to see where hes coming from because he obviously doesnt see exclusivity to drive+ as a viable business decision either!

Ive watched plenty of both presenters. Matt Farah spends half the video giggling when hes accelerating to 100mph on a backroad, going down the window sticker listing every feature of the car, then basically summing up what everyone already knows about the car (if hes driving a challenger its a bunch of this is heavy! pretty comfortable though! yeah, we get it). Meanwhile chris does spend half the video power sliding, but thats actually fun to watch, and then spends the other half giving a lot of insightful commentary on how the car feels and performs compared to other cars in its class. If you put two in the same car and had them both review it im going to feel like i "know" 100 fold more about the subjective aspect of the car watching chris' review

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 15, 2014

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I'm happy about this. I'd only just gotten into Chris Harris's commentary and videos shortly before drive went to the pay model.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Really what guys like this need to do is look at Motor Trend's online presence and get very scared. Internet journalists have had free reign for a few years now and instead of consolidating that power they do poo poo like this. Meanwhile, the juggernauts of the so called dead media are starting to transition to internet content and they can provide that content free based on advertising revenue alone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

Really what guys like this need to do is look at Motor Trend's online presence and get very scared. Internet journalists have had free reign for a few years now and instead of consolidating that power they do poo poo like this. Meanwhile, the juggernauts of the so called dead media are starting to transition to internet content and they can provide that content free based on advertising revenue alone.

Roadkill more than anything is what probably killed Drive+.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Mainly because of what they get out of each filming event. With road kill they get a half hour roadkill video, half hour hot rod garage video, 2 tech articles and a car article while doing what they do normally.

Drive gets a 10 minute video. If you want to know more about the car you have to go to someone elses website. If you want more footage of the car, you have to view someone else's video. If you want to see how it was built you have to go to someone elses blog. They could take a camera out with them and write a 1 page article on it and have your attention for another half hour, and get another 20 pageclicks per viewer but they seem to feel they're above that, and give any extra content they do get to spinelli's buddies at gawker to fill the page between iphone stories and plane crashes.

It's a shame they blew the opportunity given to them by youtube, while bitching about motor trend being given the same opportunity and not loving it up.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Matt Farah should just stop being a bitch, suck it up, and ask Chris if he can come with. Both those guys are great at what they do and are enjoyable to watch.

[edit] If Matt is Clarkson then is Chris May or Hammond? Wait, Chris can powerslide.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXuY8McwN80

Street racing in stockholm, and an article to go with it:
http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/10/street-racing-stockholm-welcome-underground

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Ford sure makes safe cars has lucky drivers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0E2Nxtm6o

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want to live in this Datsun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8gNswxiHs

I guess I'd have the KTM too, why not.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I wonder what the range is.

I only have a 5 and a half mile commute...

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Measly Twerp posted:

He deleted his comments.

quote:

TheSmokingTireYour exotic car doesn't need rims. We all know you're rich. 4 points 12 hours ago

what bothers me most about it (in fact, the only thing that really bothers me about it), is that Chris will come off smelling like roses for leaving drive and going on his own, "just leave those losers, you're better than that, etc," echoing the comments in this very thread, leaving the blame for SVOD with JF, or with greedy presenters, or whatever, whereas the truth is Chris was very, very strongly responsible for the switch to SVOD, and really was pushing that just 3 months ago, and to push so hard for that, and then to just ditch it, unannounced like he did, is such a lovely thing to do as a person, as a professional, and as a friend, that it bothers me that no one will realize just how selfish, and ego-driven this move represents for him.

quote:

TheSmokingTireYour exotic car doesn't need rims. We all know you're rich. 4 points 11 hours ago

that's the business/PR equivalent of breaking up with your girlfriend and saying "I still want to be friends, though." Cursory, polite, but ultimately, a waste of words.

I'm sure he does want to keep the door open to work with drive in the future. Thing is, he doesn't have the keys to the door, so it's not his decision. And I don't think everyone else in the company would be particularly thrilled to see him return at this point.

quote:

TheSmokingTireYour exotic car doesn't need rims. We all know you're rich. 3 points 11 hours ago

Chris's original "open letter" as to why we went SVOD was so loving stupid, I wish we had some kind of warning to that as well! He used some ridiculous example of what it cost him to make a video, something like $10,000, which MUST be the single most expensive drive video ever made. So when he said "our stuff is too expensive, It cost $10,000 to make this video," everyone's immediate response was, essentially, how silly it was that he was spending so much money on videos. Had he mentioned the budget of a single episode of my show, $2,500, and said we can't even make enough to pay our camera guys and editor and fill a car with gas and maintain our gear (which is, literally, all that money will cover), people would have been much more sympathetic than hearing chris spent $10k to rent a racing circuit with an ocean view and a helicopter.

But yes, like you said, he who gives poo poo away for free will always be the winner. Because free stuff is better than paid stuff, even if the guy giving it away is kind of a dick.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

He's just left Pistonheads too: http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30918

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

As much as I love watching Chris Harris do his thing, and as much as I enjoy reading what he writes, it seems to me his bridge burning talents are second only to his journalistic talent.

In the last 5-10 years, he's worked for and left every major British car mag (with the exception of Top Gear I think), Driver's Republic, Drive and Pistonheads. He's running out of places to work.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Wow this sure is some interesting car talk. Dudes on the YouTubes talking about cars gettin' all butthurt! I hope Extra or ET covers this juicy gossip tomorrow nite!!!

*wet farts*

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i'm digitizing old VHSs I've got. gonna put car commercials up. this one's a little edited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXD4nCLcaJk

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

i'm digitizing old VHSs I've got. gonna put car commercials up. this one's a little edited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXD4nCLcaJk

I never get tired of this one. gently caress YOU BALTIMORE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBs455jwb8w

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
This one speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JEr6QwKoJA

Did an instructor not ride along and 'correct' all this lovely behavior? Do they not do that at UK track days?

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
The MCM Grampsmobile did an 11 :)
Video tomorrow...

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Kill-9 posted:

This one speaks for itself.

Did an instructor not ride along and 'correct' all this lovely behavior? Do they not do that at UK track days?

This is the best example of more money than ability or sense. This guy's more casual on a track than I am in a parking lot.

Edit: Also, the GTR has one hell of a good traction control system.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 16, 2014

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm disappointed that once people saw that on track they didn't end their session and demand he was reprimanded.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Ziploc posted:

I'm disappointed that once people saw that on track they didn't end their session and demand he was reprimanded.

Even worse. They let him keep going until he wrecked a McLaren. People should have left the track and demanded refunds or his removal.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Kill-9 posted:

Even worse. They let him keep going until he wrecked a McLaren. People should have left the track and demanded refunds or his removal.

They were going to let him keep going EVEN AFTER he wrecked the McLaren, but he finally showed a small modicum of shame and left on his own.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I wonder where the video originated. I mean, the dude had to post it right?

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Ziploc posted:

I wonder where the video originated. I mean, the dude had to post it right?

He had to have posted it to show his mad track skillz to his friends. "Look at how I was totally pwning everyone on the track. I lapped everyone so many times." More like they were trying to give him one hell of a wide buffer.
You can see partway through how this edit is a screencap from YouTube when the timestrip shows up for a second. I wouldn't be surprised if he has it taken down for copyright reasons when he finds someone 'stole'/copied his video. I think it needs to be seen as this guy will end up killing someone with his kebab addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Jesus that video is awful. I guess a GTR could make even me look like a fast driver.