Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
As a dude who ranks Majora's Mask WAY UP THERE, I can definitely see an epidemic of people praising that one because they think weird = good.

I... I just really like timed challenges in games. Dead Rising, Pikmin, Harvest Moon, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will also say that while Hyrule Warriors is a good musou game, I still wouldn't bother with it unless you have someone to play through it with.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

axleblaze posted:

It adds a slightly darker ascetic and then mostly rehashes OoT (more so than usual). It's not really a "it's not for everybody" situation. If you like 3D Zelda, there's nothing really controversial in there, just not much that's all that amazing.
The most surface-level evaluation of Twilight Princess, ever.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Is this a good place to post that Wind Waker, which was the first game I bought the U for, is boring me to death, only to be saved by party games and the Mario Galaxy games?
Yes, and it's not too terribly surprising. I enjoyed Wind Waker, myself, but its problem for some can be that it's too easy, and the atmosphere may not really sink in, which is part of the draw for Wind Waker. Between dungeons and general action, Wind Waker's meant to be a relaxing game. Much the same way as music, while it may be relaxing to one person, it'll be hopelessly boring to another.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 16, 2014

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Jay-V posted:

As for the Galaxy games, I'll take a second look, but I dunno; the whole "explore throughout the same level multiple times for stars to progress in the game" idea doesn't really appeal to me. I know I'm weird but I like the more linear style of the 2D Marios: reach the 'end' of the level, maybe find a secret exit, maybe collect some special to unlock secret levels. Would the Galaxy games offer anything like that for a freak like me? 3D World does seem to be a nice compromise.

It's hard to say since it's all based on tastes. I played galaxy 1 and wasnt really into it. Its got more of a mario 64 feel to it than a classic platformer. Nsmbu is a fun game that's very much like the old school nes/snes marios. Smw3d is beyond words.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Jay-V posted:

As for the Galaxy games, I'll take a second look, but I dunno; the whole "explore throughout the same level multiple times for stars to progress in the game" idea doesn't really appeal to me. I know I'm weird but I like the more linear style of the 2D Marios: reach the 'end' of the level, maybe find a secret exit, maybe collect some special to unlock secret levels. Would the Galaxy games offer anything like that for a freak like me? 3D World does seem to be a nice compromise.

3D world is exactly what you are looking for.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jay-V posted:

Wow, thanks for the response guys. I did not realize Bayonetta 2 came with the first game, so I'll bump it up in priority. I was worried that it was going to be a simplistic hack and slash, but it seems people really like it despite that (ditto for Hyrule Warriors). And I'll make it a point to somehow try out Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword before making a purchase. Don't care at all about the story.

EDIT: I'll look into Rayman too!

I'm playing the first Galaxy for the first time, and I was surprised to find very little level reuse. Most stars have their own section of the level you don't otherwise go to.

I initially felt this was bad, since I actually really live there revisiting familiarity mechanic of games like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie, but I have come to realize that the tighter level design and the short hunt for the few secrets combine to satisfy me rather well.

Also a shout-out to the very minor co-op, which I found to actually be a nice distraction (despite being extremely light on deeper game mechanics) in some circumstances.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

e: Double post

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 16, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jay-V posted:

I know I'm weird but I like the more linear style of the 2D Marios: reach the 'end' of the level, maybe find a secret exit, maybe collect some special to unlock secret levels. Would the Galaxy games offer anything like that for a freak like me? 3D World does seem to be a nice compromise.

The Galaxy games are extremely linear, bar a few specific areas. There's a bit of level reuse, but the levels are generally modified significantly to accommodate this, in a manner similar to Sunshine.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't you loving tease us like that, Aonuma :toughguy:.

I very much want to tear serious rear end across Hyrule Field on a motorcycle.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ultigonio posted:

The most surface-level evaluation of Twilight Princess, ever.

I stand by it. It's not a bad game or anything and the dungeons are good as usual, it was just the first time I played a Zelda game where throughout most of it I was just going through the motions. I mean the most interesting item you get in the game is just two of one of the usual Zelda items. That's basically the level of creativity that I felt was on display in that game. It's the NSMB of the Zelda series. It doesn't do anything wrong but it also plays it really safe by just doing what has worked and not much else.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I very much want to tear serious rear end across Hyrule Field on a motorcycle.

Post apocalyptic steam punk Zelda has been waiting so long.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought Post apocalyptic steam punk Zelda was a joke thing that no one actually wanted because it would be really stupid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
For the record, playing Twilight Princess with the "infinite length and super fast clawshots" and "spinner that can fly and move 300mph" codes on is the only way to play

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

axleblaze posted:

I stand by it. It's not a bad game or anything and the dungeons are good as usual, it was just the first time I played a Zelda game where throughout most of it I was just going through the motions. I mean the most interesting item you get in the game is just two of one of the usual Zelda items. That's basically the level of creativity that I felt was on display in that game. It's the NSMB of the Zelda series. It doesn't do anything wrong but it also plays it really safe by just doing what has worked and not much else.

I would've liked the heavily animal-based game we got in the beginning where Zant was the villain and Wolf Link had a point better. TP's biggest problem for me is just that it's clearly two games mashed together, poorly

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Mario Galaxy absolutely does have its share of boring or annoying to get stars, like a lot of the purple comet, collect one hundred purple coins ones, for example. There is absolutely none of that in 3D World, imho, which is one of the reasons I vastly prefer it over Galaxy.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

The Machine posted:

gently caress why didn't I buy this game when it was only $30.

Pre-owned it is $30 on Newegg. And I guess Wal Mart, but Newegg has $1 shipping. I might go for it.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 16, 2014

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Crawfish posted:

Man... modern Nintendo is weird.

Especially after Game Freak's recent weird design choices.

In the screenshots Link looked a bit bigger than everyone else in this game. Other characters are going to look hilarious on the Master Bike.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The only good 3D Zelda games are on the Wii U.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Skyward Sword replaced Ocarina of Time as the best and favorite Zelda for me. Why don't you people understand? :negative:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Darth TNT posted:

Once again French shows itself to be a terrible language.

Destriers are cooler than your nerd poo poo. :colbert:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

1) that's not surprising since ocarina of Time is literally the worst Zelda game
2) The best Zelda game is a link to the past

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

1) that's not surprising since ocarina of Time is literally the worst Zelda game

you're an idiot with bad opinions.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Am I missing something on getting coins on club nintendo for the Wii U? I created a club acct and linked my games using the pins no problem. Then i signed into the eshop on the wii u and linked the club nintendo account since apparently the system doesnt come with a pin. I dont see any coins for the system in my club account though?

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Keystoned posted:

Am I missing something on getting coins on club nintendo for the Wii U? I created a club acct and linked my games using the pins no problem. Then i signed into the eshop on the wii u and linked the club nintendo account since apparently the system doesnt come with a pin. I dont see any coins for the system in my club account though?

When did you do it? It takes time to populate.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I enjoy all of the 3D Zelda games, for different reasons. There's room in my heart for all of them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Austrian mook posted:

I enjoy all of the 3D Zelda games, for different reasons. There's room in my heart for all of them.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. If you don't like the Zelda games in some capacity then you are dumb but if you outright call one of them bad then you are dickless shithead. This isn't a loving joke.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
This week's eShop update:

Wii U

- Ballpoint Universe: Infinite (Arachnid Games, 1 player, price TBA)
- Lone Survivor: Director's Cut (Curve Digital, 1 player, $10)
- Paper Monsters Recut (Mobot Studios Inc, 1 player, $8)
- Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (Konami, 1 player, $8)
- Chests 'O Booty (Wildmane Studios, 2 players simultaneous, $2)
- PING 1.5+ (Nami Tentou Mushi, 1 player, $5)

3DS

- Harvest Moon 2 GBC (Natsume, 1 player, $5)
- Pyramids 2 (Enjoy Gaming Ltd, 1 player, $5)
- The Legend of Dark Witch (Circle Ent, 1 player, $4)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

Thank you for being the voice of reason. If you don't like the Zelda games in some capacity then you are dumb but if you outright call one of them bad then you are dickless shithead. This isn't a loving joke.

I agree with this but I also feel that Phantom Hourglass got dangerously close to being bad.

And yes, for the record Phantom Hourglass is what I'd consider to be the worst (non-cdi) Zelda game (though I never played Spirit Tracks).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Louisgod posted:

I know some dickless shitheads, and they still like Zelda.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Also, I don't know if I just didn't notice it before, but ddp.nintendo.com has a big disclaimer at the top saying that the promotion ends December 31, 2014. I know that this has already been talked about, but people were wondering if Nintendo was going to extend it into 2015.

I'm going to assume that with such a prominent banner on the site, the promotion is not going to be extended.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Fremry posted:

Also, I don't know if I just didn't notice it before, but ddp.nintendo.com has a big disclaimer at the top saying that the promotion ends December 31, 2014. I know that this has already been talked about, but people were wondering if Nintendo was going to extend it into 2015.

I'm going to assume that with such a prominent banner on the site, the promotion is not going to be extended.

I forgot all about the expiration. Anybody who's buying a new Wii U and looking to get a pile of games might want to keep that in mind and do the download route if they're cool with that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ocarina of Time is just kind of "okay" looking back on it. Zelda games just work so much better top down than they do in full 3D. The movement in the 3D Zeldas always feels kind of sluggish, but the thing I've found over the years that really makes the controls feel off for me is that you can't jump. Which works fine in top down Zeldas like A Link to the Past or the best Zelda game ever made Link Between Worlds. But in 3D Zeldas, he can automatically jump like, up a ledge or over gaps. But you can't just have him jump whenever you want and I feel like that would really free up his movements, and would also make his combat more fun. Are you able to jump in Hyrule Warriors? Like independent of an attack that makes you jump. And I should say, I say all this as someone who played Ocarina first before the other Zeldas.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Louisgod posted:

Well yeah even Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass, which I feel are the shittiest of the 3D Zelda games, are still waaaaaay better than most adventure games out there. The music/art design alone always puts Zelda games above and beyond their imitators.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Geeze how stupid do you have to be to not be able to work the Skyward Sword controls

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

whaley posted:

Geeze how stupid do you have to be to not be able to work the Skyward Sword controls

I love this rollercoaster! Weeeeeee!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

whaley posted:

Its literally as hard as dark souls for uncoordinated manbabies

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Is wrecking crew fun multiplayer?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Egoraptor parachute spotted

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Has the eShop been going at a crawl for anyone else for the past few days? I wanted to buy Guacamelee yesterday before the sale ended but I couldn't because the eShop being garbage. It usually takes 5 seconds to start up and then was seamless from there but now it takes upwards for 45 seconds to start up and then literally minutes between pages from there. And it stalled out or froze or something when I tried adding funds yesterday. The internet browser seems to be working fine, and I don't remember my roommates mentioning anything wrong with Mario Kart 8 online. And it's a wired connection, so I don't think it's on my end. Anyone experience anything similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Has the eShop been going at a crawl for anyone else for the past few days? I wanted to buy Guacamelee yesterday before the sale ended but I couldn't because the eShop being garbage. It usually takes 5 seconds to start up and then was seamless from there but now it takes upwards for 45 seconds to start up and then literally minutes between pages from there. And it stalled out or froze or something when I tried adding funds yesterday. The internet browser seems to be working fine, and I don't remember my roommates mentioning anything wrong with Mario Kart 8 online. And it's a wired connection, so I don't think it's on my end. Anyone experience anything similar?

It was pretty drat slow when I bought MH3U.

• Locked thread