Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I was on a whale watch with some guy who rented a 200-400. It was so unwieldy that his shots were mostly crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And the new 150-600 is apparently super nice so there's that.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I chose to get a 300+1.4x/2x TC combo because I like the idea of having the option to drop down to a faster lens if necessary, but I'm still tempted by a 150-600 because it can be hard to acquire birds with a long prime.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
If you're looking for a forum where people buy 20k lenses just to talk about them, may I suggest Fred Miranda dot com.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Bubbacub posted:

I chose to get a 300+1.4x/2x TC combo because I like the idea of having the option to drop down to a faster lens if necessary, but I'm still tempted by a 150-600 because it can be hard to acquire birds with a long prime.

Yeah I thought getting the 150-600 would obsolete my 70-200 f4 IS but nope. L glass gonna L I guess.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Somebody was posting shots with a Sigma 300-800 in the bird thread, was it peepee?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Yep, thats me

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've shot with the 200-400 for half an hour at an air show (retailer demo stand). I can confirm it's an insanely nice bit of kit.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Even pros have to think twice about spending the price of a new compact car on a lens.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I always figured once lenses got into the $20k range they became the type of gear an employer lets people use for assignments.

Or the owner bought it to shoot a set up with all their Ferrari's parked in a line.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

Speaking of, the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM is in stock on the refurb store for $5279. A new one looks to cost $6799 from Amazon, B&H, etc.

It's usually only in stock there once or twice a year. I'm very tempted to grab one just to try to flip it.

edit: Wow. In the time I typed this post it went Out of Stock.

Tarnien
Jul 4, 2003
Champion of the World!!!
Do lenses usually get any black friday lovin'? Looking to pick up the Sigma 18-35 1.8, but willing to wait if there's a chance it'll drop by $100 or something in the next couple months.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tarnien posted:

Do lenses usually get any black friday lovin'? Looking to pick up the Sigma 18-35 1.8, but willing to wait if there's a chance it'll drop by $100 or something in the next couple months.

Some, but from what I've seen it's mostly for things like kit lenses and entry level gear.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
My god, the Otus 85mm is stunningly well corrected. Took this shot of my old man while at the Photokina Zeiss booth, crazy sharp and not a trace of CA at f/1.4. I can't wait for the 35mm to come out, I might actually go for that since I'm on the look-out for a nice shoot-everything 35mm and the Loxia doesn't come out until the new year anyway.

Nailing The Focus by JP Sony Alpha, on Flickr

whsa
Apr 24, 2008
I'm looking at getting a polarising filter and some NDs that will allow me to photograph water in sunlight with a long shutter for my Nikon 18-35, 35mm D, 55mm D and Tamron 70-200 on my D610. The screw sizes are 77, 52, 52 and 77mm.

I don't particularly want to buy filters for both sizes so I was thinking about the filter systems where you drop the filter into a slot, but I know nothing about them.

Any pointers / recommended reading? I've looked at digitalcameraworld.com but their articles seem to be clickbait.

Thanks!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Buy a 77mm and a set of step up rings, then use the 77mm on all your lenses.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cokin made the majority of the square filters and filter holders you can find by casual shopping. You kind of have to invest in them as a system, which is not a bad idea if you're planning on using some specific filters on a regular basis. I've got some Cokin stuff kicking around but I never use it because I just mess around with what filters I have very rarely.

I should probably come up with a project to take advantage of my collection, like that flowing-water-in-sunlight thing you're talking about, to justify hanging on to the hardware.

Step-up rings are probably the best idea.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
:laffo: at the warnings on this page http://www.amazon.com/Samyang-Fisheye-E-Mount-Cameras-SY8MBK28-E/dp/B00JD4T9II

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I have a bit of an involved question, and I have zero knowledge of cameras, so I want to apologize ahead of time for any nonsense.
With that out of the way:

My father used to be really into photography in the 80's but gave it up as he got busy with life. He's at retiring age now, and after finally getting him to buy a smartphone (not tech-savy whatsoever, I had to make him an email account etc...) he's been fooling around with the iPhone camera and getting back into his old passion. He's really into taking photos of small stuff like tiny flowers, insects, pebbles n' stuff. I guess this is close up photography?

Anyways, I want to buy him an actual camera. There's 2 main roadblocks though; I don't know poo poo about cameras, and the fucker doesn't even own a computer.
So my questions are:

How good are the displays on entry-level digital SLRs? (these are the ones with interchangeable lenses right?) Would he be able to get a good impression of the photo just looking through the display?

His phone is basically his 'computer'. How bad is this? Would he be able to transfer photos from his camera directly to his phone? Would he need an actual computer to resize photos for sharing/sending to people?

Lastly, any general advice would be great. Thanks goons.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Baldbeard posted:

I have a bit of an involved question, and I have zero knowledge of cameras, so I want to apologize ahead of time for any nonsense.

My father used to be really into photography in the 80's but gave it up as he got busy with life. He's at retiring age now, and after finally getting him to buy a smartphone (not tech-savy whatsoever, I had to make him an email account etc...) he's been fooling around with the iPhone camera and getting back into his old passion. He's really into taking photos of small stuff like tiny flowers, insects, pebbles n' stuff. I guess this is close up photography?

Anyways, I want to buy him an actual camera. There's 2 main roadblocks though; I don't know poo poo about cameras, and the fucker doesn't even own a computer.
So my questions are:

How good are the displays on entry-level digital SLRs? (these are the ones with interchangeable lenses right?) Would he be able to get a good impression of the photo just looking through the display?

His phone is basically his 'computer'. How bad is this? Would he be able to transfer photos from his camera directly to his phone? Would he need an actual computer to resize photos for sharing/sending to people?

In the absence of a computer a digital camera is a non-starter. Consider a used camera and a cheapo computer as the gift package. And give up all your free time to explaining the net. Or, buy him a nice film setup.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Baldbeard posted:

So my questions are:

Once upon a time there was this thing called film...

Fun fact: It still exists.

Might be better than teaching daddy dearest about computering.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Many cameras have wifi you can connect your phone to in order to download (jpg) pictures off the camera, as well as the option for eyefi cards or a microsd card + adapter. Newer cameras tend to have good screens and even touch screens, and Fuji even lets you edit and adjust a ton of RAW options in camera and export to jpg. It'll be a bit more work, but you could totally skip on the computer so long as you don't want to do deep photoshop editing or whatever.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Elliotw2 posted:

Many cameras have wifi you can connect your phone to in order to download (jpg) pictures off the camera, as well as the option for eyefi cards or a microsd card + adapter. Newer cameras tend to have good screens and even touch screens, and Fuji even lets you edit and adjust a ton of RAW options in camera and export to jpg. It'll be a bit more work, but you could totally skip on the computer so long as you don't want to do deep photoshop editing or whatever.

Fuji is a great option if you decide on a digital. I used my X-E2 to take some family photos for a friend while on a laptopless vacation, sent a couple to my phone, edited them in the VSCO app, then sent FB sized ones to her while waiting for a friend to show up at the bar. I honestly didn't think wifi on a camera was gonna be that useful until I traveled with it.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Baldbeard posted:

So my questions are:

Get him a canon 70d and a tamron 90mm macro lens (for taking super close-up pictures of tiny things). The lcd is good enough for your dad to see what is what, and the 70d has wifi which can connect to his phone/ipad via an app.

Make him watch a beginners video tutorial on how to operate the camera.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You can also skip the computer by connecting the camera direct to a USB printer. The problem is any sort of ability to archive files for later reprinting.

Perhaps there's a business model here for old people without computer skills. When they finish the film fill up their memory cards, they post it off with a cheque, and a week later they get back their memory card, prints for all the photos and a set of negatives a CD of their images should they want a reprint.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im eagerly awaiting the Sigma 150-600, which released yesterday as far as i know.

When can i expect reviews to start popping up? I assume the photography world doesn't have "0-day reviews" like the computer gaming world, but this is the first time i have been looking into getting a lens that has not yet released and have no idea about the timeframe before reviews start coming in.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

You can also skip the computer by connecting the camera direct to a USB printer. The problem is any sort of ability to archive files for later reprinting.

Perhaps there's a business model here for old people without computer skills. When they finish the film fill up their memory cards, they post it off with a cheque, and a week later they get back their memory card, prints for all the photos and a set of negatives a CD of their images should they want a reprint.

Most photo stores here have those self-service printing stations with memory card readers etc., the main disadvantage being that they usually can't handle raw files.
I'm sure the staff at the place could also help with getting memory card contents moved to a DVD, in addition to getting prints of it.

And otherwise get a Canon Selphy for making 10x15 cm prints straight from camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

torgeaux posted:

In the absence of a computer a digital camera is a non-starter. Consider a used camera and a cheapo computer as the gift package. And give up all your free time to explaining the net. Or, buy him a nice film setup.
Eh just get a camera with wifi and explain how to transfer his keepers.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

Eh just get a camera with wifi and explain how to transfer his keepers.

"Dad, you just deleted all the photos I'm in!"

"I know son"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nielsm posted:

Most photo stores here have those self-service printing stations with memory card readers etc., the main disadvantage being that they usually can't handle raw files.
I'm sure the staff at the place could also help with getting memory card contents moved to a DVD, in addition to getting prints of it.

And otherwise get a Canon Selphy for making 10x15 cm prints straight from camera.

If he's not using a computer for PP, then he's not going to be using RAW, so your idea is pretty good.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

8th-snype posted:

Fuji is a great option if you decide on a digital. I used my X-E2 to take some family photos for a friend while on a laptopless vacation, sent a couple to my phone, edited them in the VSCO app, then sent FB sized ones to her while waiting for a friend to show up at the bar. I honestly didn't think wifi on a camera was gonna be that useful until I traveled with it.

Just wanted to chime in here on the app front. Don't think this would be a valid option for his father, but rather than VSCO, you should try Filterstorm. The name is clunky as hell but the functionality is pretty sweet. Per RGB-channel curves, masking (including gradient masks), real levels adjustment. I did a bunch of stuff from my X100 + Eyefi on a recent vacation with it and was super happy with what I could get out of it (I had previously been using VSCO).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Filterstorm is real ugly and probably too complicated for someone who doesn't know what a curve is.

Wifi transfer to phone and then VSCO is probably a much better bet for him.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
If he's really computer phobic but ok with a smart phone, maybe get him a cheap ipad or some other tablet that has more storage than his phone and much bigger screen. He can still do the Wifi but will have something much nicer to view and edit on. Bonus if you get one that can take a card directly or get an adapter that lets you do that so he doesn't have to deal with setting up the wifi connection.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

New ipads coming soon too.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Just get him an iPad and convince him to use it as his sole camera. You're welcome, guys.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Thanks guys for all the advice. I'll talk with him and see what he wants to do. Now I know what our options are.
I will offer to get him some cheapo computer setup, otherwise he can just use my Samsung tablet since it has micro SD. Wifi on cameras is really cool, I didn't know about that.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

toadee posted:

Just wanted to chime in here on the app front. Don't think this would be a valid option for his father, but rather than VSCO, you should try Filterstorm. The name is clunky as hell but the functionality is pretty sweet. Per RGB-channel curves, masking (including gradient masks), real levels adjustment. I did a bunch of stuff from my X100 + Eyefi on a recent vacation with it and was super happy with what I could get out of it (I had previously been using VSCO).

Android's gallery app has per channel curves in it natively but I'm not doing RGB color correction on a cellphone. VSCO is perfect for quick stuff that is only going on FB. Honestly my Fuji files hardly ever need any work, I shoot jpeg and trust in the film simulation modes almost completely.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can do a bunch of poo poo with a camera and phone:
  • Connect a card reader via USB host and access jpegs that way
  • Get an app that understands your camera's RAW format and do the same
  • Use built-in wifi or eyefi to do the same + some level of remote control
  • Use photoshop-whatever to do slightly more than trivial adjustments
  • Connect it with a usb host->usb cable and use remote shooting

the question is whether or not this is worth the pain in the rear end that it is vs just using a real computer (or film).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mobby_6kl posted:

You can do a bunch of poo poo with a camera and phone:
  • Connect a card reader via USB host and access jpegs that way
  • Get an app that understands your camera's RAW format and do the same
  • Use built-in wifi or eyefi to do the same + some level of remote control
  • Use photoshop-whatever to do slightly more than trivial adjustments
  • Connect it with a usb host->usb cable and use remote shooting

the question is whether or not this is worth the pain in the rear end that it is vs just using a real computer (or film).

Back to my point. Doing these machinations to look at DSLR images on a phone is insane. At least a tablet would allow some decent review. A $200 computer would make it worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Just get him a film SLR and $200 Walgreens gift card and tell him to mail you all the CDs.