Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So the presidents twin toddlers are running around our dispatch area right now touching everything.

Caught one of them flipping the power switch constantly on our Xerox workcenter.

Hope no serious paperwork was being faxed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The Muffinlord posted:

A ticket came in: Do I have a Bort Reader?

.Bort!? Who names their file extension .Bort!?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Manslaughter posted:

Someone who should have had a .bortion.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
A pdf came in to a plastic moulding client's main factory..

.. and was opened on the server controlling all production machinery. Said PDF turned out to have CryptoLocker's mean little cousin, CryptoWall, on it. Mercifully it's not as bad as CryptoLocker since the encryption is a lot weaker and it only encrypts common file extension, which means some of this ancient database's poo poo with extensions that the virus' maker haven't heard of are untouched, but it's still got it pretty well locked down.

I work in a little CompTIA certified computer shop that also contracts out to small businesses in the area, and there's only five of us. Two of the staff are on vacation. Another has midterms this week. Leaving me and the other guy to either cover the actual storefront all week, or run the calls. Poor guy got the calls, I got the 10 PCs in one day because the rain finally let up. :v:

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 16, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Everybody in my office wants to get a coffee machine but the bosses won't let us. Thankfully there's a deli on the first floor, but still.
You're not in Scandinavia. Not having free coffee at the office would be a cause for violent strikes here.

We have four coffee machines, and two of them are connected to the UPS and backup generator.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 16, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

Everybody in my office wants to get a coffee machine but the bosses won't let us. Thankfully there's a deli on the first floor, but still.

One of my old jobs, they wouldn't let us have a water cooler, or even just a crock. This was a bunch of offices, not a goddamn CPU die factory.

But we could buy bottled water from the company cafeteria. :fuckoff:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Manslaughter posted:

My extension is also named .bort :colbert:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm spending my week learning about a new ticketing system, BMC FootPrints 12, but I noticed we hit 400 pages. Awesome.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

IndustrialApe posted:

Well this was a new one: an international student decided he wanted some tea and instead of going to the vending machine for some hot water, he plugged in his own water cooker. Currently there's 2 computer labs without working computers or lights.

If a space heater is running in the cubicle next to the breakroom and someone starts the microwave, it trips the breaker for the office. That was a fun discovery last winter!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I love tickets that have someone complaining that a necessary piece of software has been down and unusable for weeks, and they have just now gone through the painstaking effort required to email the helpdesk.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

"We didn't need a website in 1975 and WE DON'T NEED ONE NOW" *slams down phone*

ok dude I was calling about your scheduled healthcheck but whatever

And your grandpa didn't need a phone number in 1910, yet here we are.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I love tickets that have someone complaining that a necessary piece of software has been down and unusable for weeks, and they have just now gone through the painstaking effort required to email the helpdesk.

"Our server is down!"
"Ok, how long has it been down for?"
"Weeks! This needs to be fixed now this is unacceptable we need it fixed by this evening!"

Oh ok, report it earlier next time? Fuckin' clients man.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

"Weeks? Can't be that important then can it?"

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GreenNight posted:

Skim milk. It's water pretending to be milk.

Skim milk is appropriate for drinking straight. For tea, nothing less than 1%, sometimes 2%. (Full milk is also OK though I don't think it's necessary unless you have a REALLY strong tea).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Inspector_666 posted:

I drop in quite regularly on a customer who has one of these, it's a glorious thing:

http://www.nespresso.com/pro/aguila/?lang=en_UK&icid=UK_en_nespresso_Aguila_homepage

quote:

A network connection via a SIM card enables online tracking of the machine's maintenance needs (preventative maintenance calls planned when required).

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Inspector_666 posted:

Though our main office has a barista on staff

:smug:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

NZAmoeba posted:

Needs a passive-aggressive note posted about making sure to keep the fridge door shut.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hargrimm posted:

Needs a passive-aggressive note posted about making sure to keep the fridge door shut.

Agreed, that would make me rage. I'm really jealous of the coffee machine though, all those buttons!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would quite happily make coffees all day if it paid what I earn at the moment. Press buttons, steam some milk, grind some beans. Therapeutic poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

NZAmoeba posted:

I should probably keep my mouth shut about how our office has a Coffee Lab (allegedly, i haven't had time to visit it yet) on one of the floors, let alone the baristas, and coffee/espresso machines in the micro kitchens.

But I won't. My workplace is awesome.

:smugdroid::coffee:

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

dogstile posted:

Skim milk or UHT milk. The first is water, the second is just loving strange.
I drink both of these: Skim because... I dunno, I find whole milk really thick, and I just sort of got used to skim at one point.

UHT because I don't drink milk often, and UHT is the only way I don't end up throwing a whole pint of milk out on a regular basis because I neglected to drink enough cups of tea at home that week.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I hate my helpdesk mostly. I'm a systems engineer at 3M, so if you're on the helpdesk somewhere this will be enlightening because the following is you:

"Dave, a ticket came in for this totally obvious issue that isn't actually our problem. I've done nothing, and also tried nothing to resolve it. I know you're busy doing things that require more than a marginal amount of brain power, so I am escalating this ticket with no details at all so you have to call this rear end in a top hat and gather this basic information yourself. I realize you hit 40 hours by Wednesday morning and I was late half an hour every single day this week, but somehow I am more important than you are so I know you will understand if I demand you respond to them within 30 seconds from now. If you have any questions then go gently caress your mother because I'll be in the bathroom for the next 20 minutes doing what I do best, then joining a worthless optional meeting because I don't want to do any work."

And...

"Greetings. I am a loving nerd that noticed your name on a set of instructions on how to do something hard that has nothing to do with my ticket. I realize that this is not your responsibility and I'm not even supposed to be escalating or talking to you, but can you please give me some guidance on how to not be a jackass that can't read? Also, can you please punch me to death when I ask your boss why you haven't responded to my stupid question?"

And...

"Dave,

I am a jerk customer that probably drives a BMW and therefore does not need to follow normal protocol of calling the helpdesk. I unplugged my server and now it does not start. This is unacceptable and it must be fixed by lunch so I can go golfing."

Followed by...

"Helpdesk, please see this forward from some idiot and document accordingly. -Me"

Followed by...

"Hello, loving Dave. Well, well, well. It appears this customer is angry. gently caress you. I am copying your boss in on this escalation because you were mean to me one time when I updated an entire SQL table (that I shouldn't have been touching to start with) to the wrong value because I just learned how to run update statements last week and butt hosed you into a weeks worth of work. Despite my inability to comprehend what is even wrong, suck on this email in all of it's passive aggressive glory. -sent from my iphone from the bathroom because I'm literally this stupid and unprofessional"

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

jammyozzy posted:

The DVLA (UK DMV equivalent) phone system has no hold mechanism. If nobody's free you just get a curt "None of our 267 operators are available. Goodbye."

Fantastic when you've got something urgent to do and the website tells you to phone them. All the offices got closed a few years ago so you can't even go in person.
How does this work? Surely you can't get a new license or do a drive test without having to talk to someone in person? Here in the US in most states you can do most things online, but plenty of things still require you to go in person just so they can verify you match the photo on your record and can still see at least a little bit.

We upgraded to IE 11 I think three weekends ago now, and I'm still getting calls for "The Internet hasn't worked since the upgrade." I guess they figure the Internet isn't really a business thing so they feel bad about asking for it, but come on people, if we didn't want you to be able to access the Internet you wouldn't have been able to in the first place.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Seravadon posted:

High five tea all day at work buddy. :11tea::hf::11tea:

A ticket came in: :downs: I got an e-mail with a bunch of misspellings about an "unpaid invoic". I couldn't open the pdf the first time so I tried it three more times. And then sent it off to someone else to try to open. And then kept trying myself. And now my computer won't work!

Sigh.

We got a client who caught that yesterday. 30% of their employees opened it, and none of them deal in any way with invoices.
So many scans...

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

At one time I used to work on the VoIP deployment out at 3M. CenturyLink outsourced it to our MSP, but 3M would not let anyone else touch their layer 2 network, so, naturally sometimes VoIP issues would require 3M to troubleshoot. Can't tell you how many times one of us would call the 3M help desk, only to have them immediately transfer the call back to us.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dave_Indeed posted:

I hate my helpdesk mostly. I'm a systems engineer at 3M, so if you're on the helpdesk somewhere this will be enlightening because the following is you:

There are a million better places to be in the Minneapolis metro. Time to :yotj:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is your avatar someone killing a puppy? :stare:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
A ticket came in:
Anyone of you NJ guys interested in doing some side work? I have a small business client (6 computers + server) in West Orange who needs a wireless router setup and a few maintenance items like browser popups. Bonus if you know QuickBooks (gently caress QB) which he says is slow to open. This is a friend and one of my last clients from my consulting business that I can usually take care of on the weekend when he needs help. But I'm going to be out of town and not able to get to him for a few weeks. If you are interested PM me.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Seravadon posted:

High five tea all day at work buddy. :11tea::hf::11tea:

A ticket came in: :downs: I got an e-mail with a bunch of misspellings about an "unpaid invoic". I couldn't open the pdf the first time so I tried it three more times. And then sent it off to someone else to try to open. And then kept trying myself. And now my computer won't work!

Sigh.

Do....do we work for the same company? :psyduck:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

NZAmoeba posted:

In our UK office where I used to work they had a barista on staff, a young Polish lady, who had to put up with all the nerds from engineering and labs awkward interactions with the opposite sex. I wish I was joking.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

My users would rather call the entire team at their desks 3 times and then overhead page rather than open a ticket.

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary

Cthulhuite posted:

... Do three of us work for the same company? :psyduck: I had this incident happen in my company a few days ago; same email title and everything.

Edit: Oh wait I can read. Apparently this is going around and not just some weird isolated thing. Huh.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

justlysarcastic posted:

... Do three of us work for the same company? :psyduck: I had this incident happen in my company a few days ago; same email title and everything.

Edit: Oh wait I can read. Apparently this is going around and not just some weird isolated thing. Huh.

Yeah, we got hit with it too. Luckily they asked me and our AV actually caught the thing.

Yay Vipre :toot:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Cthulhuite posted:

justlysarcastic posted:

Who knew stupid people were so common?! Other than everyone here. :suicide:

skooma512 posted:

My users would rather call the entire team at their desks 3 times and then overhead page rather than open a ticket.

My users do this too. Page, leave me a voicemail, try knocking on the computer room door, but god forbid they send an e-mail. Especially when it's an issue I can solve in 30 seconds from my desk.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

m.hache posted:

Yeah, we got hit with it too. Luckily they asked me and our AV actually caught the thing.

Yay Vipre :toot:

Vipre is really loving good. Unless you're dealing with installing Vipre on a system that had a different version of Vipre with a different MSP.

Then it suuuuuuuuuuuucks

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Between a combination of user coaching and high bills to fix it my clients don't open poo poo they don't recognize without us checking it out

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

NZAmoeba posted:

I used to teach at an office where the policy was that one of these had to be in 100m walking distance of each workplace... Google students were my favourites.

drat, now I'm craving free sushi again :/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm new to IT (you can see my post in the IT careers thread if you want,) but I felt the need to share this absurd situation I dealt with recently:

I work for a company that does (among other things,) managed support. I'm normally a pretty low-level guy, since I'm new to IT and I've never had any formal training. I typically do patching, help-desk stuff, that sort of thing. Last week, I was just checking the schedule for some backup jobs for a client to make sure I didn't interfere with them for a server that I had to do a software update+reboot on.

When I was poking around in Backup Exec, I saw some errors in the job history...not the biggest of deals, probably something simple like a daily diff job failed because it couldn't communicate with a server that might have been rebooting, or a network hiccup, or something. I mean, if our monitoring+paging system didn't pick it up, can't be that serious, right?

A backup job was missed...in fact, ALL backup jobs were missed. Missed for all of this week...all of this month...all of last month...all of August...and that's as far back as I could see in BackupExec. Long story short, I was eventually able to see that the "Job Missed" alerts from our monitoring software started in the middle of July becase the Data Domain device went offline.

Our client has had NO backups at all since July. And we never got a single page or alert sent to a mailbox that anyone regularly looks at. (They were just sent to a generic 'Alerts' mailbox that gets hundreds of emails a day, and is only looked at when you need to know details on a specific alert.)

I can make another post detailing the literally week-long fiasco with Dell getting the drat Data Domain device back up and running, but suffice to say that going forward from now, we will definitely change our alerting and paging systems to page for a missed backup, not just a failed one. And Hell, just to be safe, we might throw some ping monitoring to the DD devices in as well.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
We've got two Starbucks machines in the office. Nothing special, you buy the beans, put them in the top and it makes them. Huge gently caress-off things.

And I got the best e-mail from a vendor (to my personal e-mail but called my work phone).

quote:

I am sure that you are very busy putting out fires, so to save you the time of writing a long response I have included the answers for you. Answering with one of the 3 numbers would be greatly appreciated.

1. I'm really interested but busy right now, please contact me on ______ at this time ______

2. I'm not the correct person you should speak with. Please contact _______

3. Please stop calling and emailing me. You are filling up my inbox and I have no interest in backup or recovery.

I mean I am, but I've got quotes out with two different vendors and I don't like cold calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

We've got two Starbucks machines in the office. Nothing special, you buy the beans, put them in the top and it makes them. Huge gently caress-off things.

And I got the best e-mail from a vendor (to my personal e-mail but called my work phone).

I mean I am, but I've got quotes out with two different vendors and I don't like cold calls.

Gotta respect someone who respects your time.

• Locked thread