Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
People can't even see someone getting pulled over on the other side of a divided highway without slowing down and freaking out. Look, the cop is busy already, and even if they weren't, they aren't going to go to the next exit and backtrack so they can pull you over for going 10 over, with the speed of traffic. You certainly don't need to go 20 under the limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Someone got lost and turned down the wrong way of a 4 lane one way that parallels another 4 lane one way here when I was cruising in the rain tonight. NBD tho cause there happened to be a cop right behind me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VRZq3J0uz4

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

PT6A posted:

People can't even see someone getting pulled over on the other side of a divided highway without slowing down and freaking out. Look, the cop is busy already, and even if they weren't, they aren't going to go to the next exit and backtrack so they can pull you over for going 10 over, with the speed of traffic. You certainly don't need to go 20 under the limit.

Everything about this. If I'm all the way over in the left lane going 10 over, and I see lights on the shoulder, I just keep cruising. He's already with a happy customer, what's he going to do, quickly finish his ticket and barrel down after me? Besides, it's not the cops with the flashing lights you have to worry about, it's the one hiding on the offramp with his laser out you need to watch for.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This driver is a dumb piece of poo poo:

a) Began with an illegal u-turn in the middle of a busy road.
b) Started the turn too early, meaning they couldn't fit into the lane they wanted to be in (the middle one in front of me).
c) Calmly flipped on their blinker while blocking the right turn lane, which had several cars waiting to go. Then just sat there until the green light and space opened up.

They could have easily pulled into the gas station on the right once they realized they were going to block traffic, or just pulled ahead in the turn lane and adjust their route later.

But nope, instead the best option was to go full rear end in a top hat and piss off everyone in the area.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My drive home involves a right turn at a busy T intersection. In the last month, I've started seeing people pull out into the right turn lane, stop, and hit their left turn signal to merge into the left turn lane. Usually, there is a steady stream of people making right turns on red that are now blocked while the light cycles (slowly).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's some bullshit. People need to be aware of what's going on around them and adjust their plan based on the situation.

I try to think how my choices will affect the people around me, and if it's going to be too annoying I just suck it up and move with the flow, adjusting when it's more reasonable. I might be the only driver in America that acts this way because I never see anyone make any effort to avoid pissing people off. It's day in and day out FYGM. :smith:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

It's day in and day out FYGM. :smith:

http://soimgoingtochina.blogspot.com/2007/06/beijing-traffic-lesson-left-turn.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xergm posted:

Everything about this. If I'm all the way over in the left lane going 10 over, and I see lights on the shoulder, I just keep cruising. He's already with a happy customer, what's he going to do, quickly finish his ticket and barrel down after me? Besides, it's not the cops with the flashing lights you have to worry about, it's the one hiding on the offramp with his laser out you need to watch for.

Call it an abundance of caution but I've come around 180 on this position. Years ago I got pulled over by a state trooper who had just finished with his previous victim and was sitting on the shoulder with his lights still going. I was doing about 10 over the limit but didn't have cruise control at the time so I may have been going a little faster.

In addition, most states have laws requiring drivers to slow down and move over for stopped emergency vehicles and if there's one surefire way to piss a cop off it's break laws that were designed to keep them safe.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
That's basically why I said left lane, unless you're passing one of those idiots who pulled to the left when they got pulled over. You just know they're getting a ticket when they do that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xergm posted:

That's basically why I said left lane, unless you're passing one of those idiots who pulled to the left when they got pulled over. You just know they're getting a ticket when they do that.

I don't trust cops to distinguish between "move over or slow down" and "move over and slow down," depending on how the law is worded. I'd rather decrease speed by 5-10 MPH for ten seconds than risk getting pulled over and ticketed.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You know, suddenly everything about driving doesn't seem all that bad.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Uthor posted:

My drive home involves a right turn at a busy T intersection. In the last month, I've started seeing people pull out into the right turn lane, stop, and hit their left turn signal to merge into the left turn lane. Usually, there is a steady stream of people making right turns on red that are now blocked while the light cycles (slowly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ITsgiL6v8

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The shoulder is not to be used to accelerate and merge into traffic.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

FogHelmut posted:

The shoulder is not to be used to accelerate and merge into traffic.

tell that to the folks I was waiting in line at a red light with the other day.

blue ovals represent normal, everyday cars. red ovals represent Christ, What an rear end in a top hat cars. I'm the third or fourth blue oval on the top left.

everyone is waiting. the two lanes going left at the top is the main route west into the rest of the county. the other ones lead to other west and south.

parking is on the right (north). nobody is parked. rear end in a top hat #1 discovers this miraculous new lane, leaves the line, and attempts to overtake us all to the traffic light, since nobody is using it. he rapidly discovers that this is not, in fact, a lane, and causes a traffic jam attempting to wedge himself in as the light turns green.

rear end in a top hat #2, not to be daunted, follows him through the parking and worsens the jam.

I wish I'd been quick-thinking enough when I saw the first guy pull out to pull halfway into the parking lane.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

You know, suddenly everything about driving doesn't seem all that bad.

"[F] pedals doggedly onward at about 2 miles per hour, his face like chiseled marble."

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I wish people would not stop in the middle lane to let people through when I'm in the outermost lane and CAN'T SEE THE CAR THEY STOPPED FOR.

I would be car B and they are turning into a gas station. Of course I can't see around A and neither can the person turning...

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

PaganGoatPants posted:

I wish people would not stop in the middle lane to let people through when I'm in the outermost lane and CAN'T SEE THE CAR THEY STOPPED FOR.

I would be car B and they are turning into a gas station. Of course I can't see around A and neither can the person turning...

Ouch. Yeah, people being overly nice is one of the most dangerous things I can think of for a bike. Just go, I am on a motorcycle, I can find my own gap and have the acceleration to exploit it. In some ways, I prefer the jerks, at least they are predictable.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

xzzy posted:

This driver is a dumb piece of poo poo:

a) Began with an illegal u-turn in the middle of a busy road.
b) Started the turn too early, meaning they couldn't fit into the lane they wanted to be in (the middle one in front of me).
c) Calmly flipped on their blinker while blocking the right turn lane, which had several cars waiting to go. Then just sat there until the green light and space opened up.

They could have easily pulled into the gas station on the right once they realized they were going to block traffic, or just pulled ahead in the turn lane and adjust their route later.

But nope, instead the best option was to go full rear end in a top hat and piss off everyone in the area.

Just shoving his car through everybody's life http://youtu.be/pBnkDPj2Wl4

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

This is why I don't leave median gaps open on streets with lots of lanes when my lane gets backed up at a light. Seen too many people nearly get t-boned because one guy wanted to be nice and the person making the turn did it without having any ability to see the traffic in the other lanes.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Smoke posted:

Meanwhile in Belgium, video of a car accident back in August has surfaced online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0E2Nxtm6o

This is why you make sure you're in the right lane before the exit starts, and why you shouldn't move over two other lanes to make your exit in time. I see people try this poo poo pretty much every other day along with other rear end in a top hat behavior.

The driver survived, accompanying news article in Dutch including her response to the video being posted here.

Don't even bother with the comments as half of them seem intent on blaming the truck drivers that use the same road for causing an unsafe situation and making it impossible to drive in the right lane.

Like a Great Dane grudge fuckin' a poodle.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PaganGoatPants posted:

I had a 16 year on a learners permit, drive his parent's Liberty over the hood of my formerly awesome and cherry Scirocco 16v in one of those exact situations. The insurance adjusted counted totaled before he got past the front wheels...:(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Just shoving his car through everybody's life http://youtu.be/pBnkDPj2Wl4

Louis CK is like the Seinfeld of this thread, he's described every situation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Nearly got in an accident yesterday because a double-trailer gravel truck decided he'd just pull right the gently caress out without concern for traffic. I and the guy in front of me had to slam on our brakes, and when the guy in front of me didn't lay on his horn, I did. Cue the guy in front of me basically freezing up because, I suppose, he thought I was honking at him instead of the guy doing something illegal and horribly dangerous. Maybe I shouldn't have honked in that situation, but why would you assume I was honking at you and not the guy just in front of you who was behaving dangerously?

For bonus points, the gravel truck then immediately cut across three lanes of Glenmore Trail to be in the left-hand lane for reasons complete un-loving-known to humanity. I don't have any idea what was going through that dipshit's head, but I hope when he eventually does cause an accident, it's with something solid that kills him instead of a tiny car that gets crushed.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
To the old man in the Maserati behind me as I was driving home today: There were four cars ahead of me driving the speed limit, and so was I, making sure to keep a safe distance between me and the car ahead of me. The right lane was filled up and slow enough to not allow me to move over to it safely without slowing down first.

That does not give you the right to try to shove your automotive penis replacement up my rear end numerous times while revving loudly, and repeat the same with the car ahead of me the moment I can safely move over to the other lane. Also, weaving that car through traffic while speeding both before and after passing us is not a good idea in general.

Especially when this road has a bunch of badly-synched traffic lights on it and you end up only two cars ahead of me when we get to the next set of red lights.

He also did not use his turn signals.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

PaganGoatPants posted:

I watched a bicyclist get totally busted up in that exact situation, only the cyclist was passing on the right of the stopped traffic and it was a van entering the gas station. Both lanes stopped for the van, bike got smacked. I was a witness in the court case too, which unfortunately the bicyclist lost because he was not in a marked bike lane, illegally passing on the right. Guy got stuck with like $50k in hospital bills.

The real kicker? The bike lane started at the next intersection, about 150 feet down the road, and a few years later extended up to where the accident happened.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Smoke posted:

To the old man in the Maserati behind me as I was driving home today:...

...shove your automotive penis replacement up my rear end numerous times while revving loudly...

I don't know, if any car could turn me gay, it would probably be a Maserati.

That said, I've seen several Maseratis around here, and they've all driven very courteously. In fact, that's been true of every ultra-expensive car I've seen in my area.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't mind commuting in proximity to a revving Maserati at all.

Driving like a moron is pretty lovely though, dude needs to use his power for good.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Someone threw a can of beer at me yesterday while I was driving past some 3 story apartments. It smashed into the windshield/a-pillar right in front of my face. Luckily the windshield is fine but goddamn did I pull over quick and get out in a rage. The rear end in a top hat that threw it had clearly been having a fun time, as there were a couple more beers smashed on the sidewalk. He/she was nowhere to be seen so I just called in a report to the local police telling them the address that it happened at.

I've never punched anyone before but if they had been there I guarantee they would've got socked in the tit. It pissed me off so bad that somebody could do that to me with no repercussions. And now my Jeep smells like beer more than normal :mad:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Smoke posted:

To the old man in the Maserati behind me as I was driving home today: There were four cars ahead of me driving the speed limit, and so was I, making sure to keep a safe distance between me and the car ahead of me. The right lane was filled up and slow enough to not allow me to move over to it safely without slowing down first.

That does not give you the right to try to shove your automotive penis replacement up my rear end numerous times while revving loudly, and repeat the same with the car ahead of me the moment I can safely move over to the other lane. Also, weaving that car through traffic while speeding both before and after passing us is not a good idea in general.

Especially when this road has a bunch of badly-synched traffic lights on it and you end up only two cars ahead of me when we get to the next set of red lights.

He also did not use his turn signals.

When people do this to me I move over then immediately go behind them so maybe they get the point that there is nowhere to go.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

LloydDobler posted:

I was a witness in the court case too, which unfortunately the bicyclist lost because he was not in a marked bike lane, illegally passing on the right. Guy got stuck with like $50k in hospital bills.

I'm failing to see the problem here. Regardless of the bike lane starting nearby bicycles aren't exempt from traffic laws, if you're going to drive/ride on the shoulder the onus is on you to yield to vehicles making legal turns.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 18, 2014

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Managed to snag a quick video of one of the most terrifying vehicles I have encountered on the road in recent memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=349KUok3wAM

Had to cut it short as I did not want to be anywhere near that thing when it imploded. It had Washington plates and was headed towards 205N, so at best he almost certainly was heading another 10 miles in that mockery of Death.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

este posted:

Managed to snag a quick video of one of the most terrifying vehicles I have encountered on the road in recent memory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=349KUok3wAM

Had to cut it short as I did not want to be anywhere near that thing when it imploded. It had Washington plates and was headed towards 205N, so at best he almost certainly was heading another 10 miles in that mockery of Death.

Is that a bike wheel on the rear left? :stare:

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Spare. He was anticipating the sliding like he'd been running on it for a while. Right before I started filming, it also exhibited some strong variable camber on both rear wheels, independently from each other.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTRTZYm8qY4

this is me after 90 minutes of standstill traffic about a mile from my house.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

eriddy posted:

This is me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlzoL-wQwio

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

eriddy posted:

MKV GTI with a busted washer bottle sensor?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Smoke posted:

Maserati revving loudly

I rev back at them, stupid grin on my face. My Miata with exhaust makes a nice complement to a Maserati's V8.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Uthor posted:

MKV GTI with a busted washer bottle sensor?
Yeah. The loving orange Rain-X fluid wrecked the sensors. I had no idea it would ruin it that bad and that specific wiper fluid mixture is entirely to blame. I'm hoping after flushing with blue wiper fluid several cycles later it'll go away because its hella annoying.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

eriddy posted:

Yeah. The loving orange Rain-X fluid wrecked the sensors. I had no idea it would ruin it that bad and that specific wiper fluid mixture is entirely to blame. I'm hoping after flushing with blue wiper fluid several cycles later it'll go away because its hella annoying.

Post in the VW thread if it fixes it so I can know what to do on mine. :D

At least new sensors are cheap, if a total pain in the rear end to get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Uthor posted:

Post in the VW thread if it fixes it so I can know what to do on mine. :D

At least new sensors are cheap, if a total pain in the rear end to get to.

Step 1: Remove front bumper and surrounding trim