Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Heartbreaking, yes, but adds a really interesting dynamic of two conjoined twins who hate each other.

Last night's episode was really good - two episodes in and it's already better than anything in Season 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

ShadowCatboy posted:

Honestly seeing Bette lose her confidence onstage was just heartbreaking. She was so happy and sunny about joining the freakshow, and playing second fiddle to Dot must've been really disheartening.

I know it probably won't happen because it's AHS, but I really do hope that Bette finds her talent and doesn't withdraw into a shell of regret and bitterness. :ohdear:

:lol:
Bette's going to stab Dot to "death" ala the opening where Dot stabbed Bette.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
Did anyone mention the god drat serial killer clown walking down the loving highway while a police manhunt was going on? Did anyone also mention that an upper class widow decided to pull over and pick up the dirt covered, non-speaking, serial killer clown and bring him INTO HER GOD drat HOUSE? TO PLAY WITH HER SON?

I know you can do better, Murph.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ShaqDiesel posted:

Did anyone mention the god drat serial killer clown walking down the loving highway while a police manhunt was going on? Did anyone also mention that an upper class widow decided to pull over and pick up the dirt covered, non-speaking, serial killer clown and bring him INTO HER GOD drat HOUSE? TO PLAY WITH HER SON?

I just think she has bad vision.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Dot's going to last till episode 6. It's gonna be a miracle if she lives longer.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dot's going to find a doctor and switch heads with someone, ala the opening credits.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Dot's going to find a doctor and switch heads with someone, ala the opening credits.

This would be the best thing ever.

And I know just the doctor to call to attempt such an experiment, Dr. Arthur Arden.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

ShaqDiesel posted:

Did anyone also mention that an upper class widow decided to pull over and pick up the dirt covered, non-speaking, serial killer clown and bring him INTO HER GOD drat HOUSE? TO PLAY WITH HER SON?

Actually I thought that part made a lot of sense. She knows her son is completely crazy, has killed animals and could (although she doesn't want to admit it) have moved to killing humans. We know that the police have covered up something he did to a girl in the past, which was probably something violent. What better playmate for Dandy than somebody down on their luck, most likely homeless and that no one will miss if things go wrong? She might have even assumed he was from the freak show, and knows that the police wouldn't care if any of them went missing. Dandy's mother says something like 'you can do whatever you like to him', because this probably homeless, maybe even drunk clown is utterly disposable and even though she doesn't want to think that her son could kill someone she knows it's a possibility in the back of her mind.

Plus she knows her son's tastes. A bright, cheery clean clown would probably bore him. Of course, Twisty is far more interesting to Dandy than she could have ever realised due to his serial killing, but her son loves violence, freak shows and theatrics. The fact that Twisty was dirt-covered and had a hideous mask is probably half the reason she picked him up in the first place.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The guy is wearing somebody's scalp as a wig guys.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
I actually love the fact that no one seems to be able to recognize how obviously evil the clown is

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

No More Toast posted:

Plus she knows her son's tastes. A bright, cheery clean clown would probably bore him. Of course, Twisty is far more interesting to Dandy than she could have ever realised due to his serial killing, but her son loves violence, freak shows and theatrics. The fact that Twisty was dirt-covered and had a hideous mask is probably half the reason she picked him up in the first place.

I feel like a recurring theme in Freak Show is that people consistently have the wrong reaction to things, to an absurd, comical degree. Think of the intro to episode 1: everybody is completely appalled by two-headed Sarah Paulson. There's a shot where a nurse or doctor is so appalled by the sight of the twins that he has to flee and vomit in a garbage can. The whole intro is shot like we're going to see a horrific monster, with the camera hiding her until the first reveal, and then it just turns out to be a beautiful actress with two heads.

Twisty is the opposite - he's obviously disgusting and awful, but everyone around acts as if he's totally normal, even when his clothes are spattered with fresh blood.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

No More Toast posted:

Actually I thought that part made a lot of sense. She knows her son is completely crazy, has killed animals and could (although she doesn't want to admit it) have moved to killing humans. We know that the police have covered up something he did to a girl in the past, which was probably something violent. What better playmate for Dandy than somebody down on their luck, most likely homeless and that no one will miss if things go wrong? She might have even assumed he was from the freak show, and knows that the police wouldn't care if any of them went missing. Dandy's mother says something like 'you can do whatever you like to him', because this probably homeless, maybe even drunk clown is utterly disposable and even though she doesn't want to think that her son could kill someone she knows it's a possibility in the back of her mind.

Ahh so she is just looking at him as a homeless bum (i.e. easy target). But what about the clown just walking down the road in broad daylight. He didn't even run away at the sound of an approaching car. :shrug:

Also why didn't the clown kill Dandy? Fear of getting caught? That didn't stop him from committing multiple homicide in a main street shop.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Periodiko posted:

I feel like a recurring theme in Freak Show is that people consistently have the wrong reaction to things, to an absurd, comical degree. Think of the intro to episode 1: everybody is completely appalled by two-headed Sarah Paulson. There's a shot where a nurse or doctor is so appalled by the sight of the twins that he has to flee and vomit in a garbage can. The whole intro is shot like we're going to see a horrific monster, with the camera hiding her until the first reveal, and then it just turns out to be a beautiful actress with two heads.

Twisty is the opposite - he's obviously disgusting and awful, but everyone around acts as if he's totally normal, even when his clothes are spattered with fresh blood.

I think you're right about all of this, but I chalk it up to bad and sloppy writing as opposed to something they did on purpose :)

klf11
Aug 17, 2014
was so sad seeing meep being taken away, and being in jail :cry:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Bottom Liner posted:

I think you're right about all of this, but I chalk it up to bad and sloppy writing as opposed to something they did on purpose :)

You think the writers don't realize Twisty is scary looking?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Periodiko posted:

It'a still a Ryan Murphy show. There's about a 50/50 shot that even if the characters' backward reactions to various things ARE intentional, it'll never actually be addressed in any meaningful way and instead be contradictory purely for the sake of absurd contradiction.

(I guess an analogue could be in Coven, how meaningless life and death were with all the characters constantly getting killed and resurrected, or bargaining with other powers for eternal life. But that meaningless didn't really build to anything substantial; it just...was.)

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

klf11 posted:

Don't worry, he wasn't there long. :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

klf11 posted:

Uh did you... did you see the last like 30 seconds of the episode?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

New wallpaper on the laptop, just to freak out my partner when he wakes up and checks his email. Thanks!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

xeria posted:

It'a still a Ryan Murphy show. There's about a 50/50 shot that even if the characters' backward reactions to various things ARE intentional, it'll never actually be addressed in any meaningful way and instead be contradictory purely for the sake of absurd contradiction.

How about... it's camp and funny when characters fail to react to obviously dangerous situations in a way which would make sense? There doesn't have to be a logic behind it and everybody looking to make sense of it is wasting their time at this point. And the old "oblivious or innocent person takes in an obviously-deranged and dangerous person" thing has been around in horror since forever.

There was a Tales From the Crypt episode (based on a story straight out of the 50's comic) where at the end the kid invites in the blood-soaked guy dressed up as Santa Claus, and this season looks like it's taking some cues from old EC Comics stories which came out of course in the 1950's.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Periodiko posted:

No, they just write sloppy characters in these weird situations and create unrealistic reactions to serve the plot instead of a clever theme in the series.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
FX has put the version of Criminal from the episode up for sale on iTunes. I guess that really is Sarah Paulson singing there. Don't know if it includes halfhearted backing vocals from Bette.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Bottom Liner posted:

No, they just write sloppy characters in these weird situations and create unrealistic reactions to serve the plot instead of a clever theme in the series.

Maybe you shouldn't watch shows that you don't enjoy?

Why is it that every time a show comes about that people here all love, they get to the second or third season and find it useful to just take a dump all over them in the thread devoted to people who like them?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

criscodisco posted:

Maybe you shouldn't watch shows that you don't enjoy?

Why is it that every time a show comes about that people here all love, they get to the second or third season and find it useful to just take a dump all over them in the thread devoted to people who like them?

Because a show featuring ghosts, aliens, demons, witches, & killer clowns is just getting to unrealistic, maaannnn.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Wait, what? So you're just going "Nuh uh, they're just bad. It's entirely coincidental that it could be or is good."? You're literally turning something good into something bad for what? Are you just looking for reasons to hate this? Why are you even watching?

I didn't have high hopes for this season after Coven, especially because Coven really peaked my interest with its teasers and they could've done so much more with the whole witchcraft/voodoo/slavery dynamic they had going on, but this season is really shaping up to be at least as good as the first two.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I love the show guys, I was just saying that the other guy's theory that they purposefully wrote the characters reactions to be the opposite of what they should be was probably wrong because the writing is kind of sloppy and serves the plot and nothing else. The show is still fun as hell.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It only took 2 episodes for people to call Horror Story out on bullshit and people to defend it from them! Wooooooooooo! Come on the store clerk couldn't even remember what kind of mannequins were in the shop in the first part of the episode. How long did he work there, 5 minutes? Just face it, this show basically has always had glaring plot holes. And so far only season 2 was worth anything.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Even if a person hates a show, they can still watch and post in the thread.

By the end of Dexter, the only people still watching and posting in the thread were people who hated what they saw. And one troll. Stop backseat modding and let people do what they want. If they have complaints and/or think the season so far sucks, even if they're wrong they're hurting nobody.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think the forum arguing is the best part about the show. Maybe during the episodes we will have better commercial entertainment. I will watch it in till the bloody end.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Chris James 2 posted:

Even if a person hates a show, they can still watch and post in the thread.

By the end of Dexter, the only people still watching and posting in the thread were people who hated what they saw. And one troll. Stop backseat modding and let people do what they want. If they have complaints and/or think the season so far sucks, even if they're wrong they're hurting nobody.

I'm gonna backseat your rear end, long and slow and hard.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Bottom Liner posted:

You think the writers of American Horror Story care more about the plot than exploring the show's themes?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Welp, I'm out. I was borderline last week since despite liking the clown scenes the rest of the show felt pretty neutral to me.

When this week kicked off with a poorly delivered speech about how the freaks had to just be understood by the townspeople while they were burying a police office they tore to pieces, I became pretty sure I was dropping the show. On another series I'd think they were being ironic, but the entire last season was about how the psychotic mass murderers were the real victims.

Then someone thinks it's a good idea to hire a ragged, horrifying looking clown on the side of the road while a murder spree is going on. It was bad enough when someone didn't notice him standing, extremely out of place among cheerful toys, but this is straining my suspension of disbelief past the breaking point. Maybe it's a plot point that no one thinks the scalped clown with jagged teeth, and a filthy outfit is perfectly normal. Maybe everyone sees him as a cheerful Pennywise. I wouldn't bet on that, though.

And then Chiklis gets hired by a strong willed woman and he immediately takes over the show? The next two words out of her mouth should have been "You're fired." There's nothing in the characterization so far that would make me think that Elsa would have put up with that poo poo from friends, let alone some rear end in a top hat who just came begging. I could believe it if this control built over time and developed as a plot line, but his very next scene is "I'm in charge, bitches!" This is such a weak attempt to build some soap opera style drama that it turns me off.

And it goes on with a lot of little problems. I rode out the minor flaws with Murder House and it went to fun places. After Coven I have no faith that this show will do that again. And so I'm out. I'll see what people say after the season is over with to find out if it's worth coming back and watching.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

And then Chiklis gets hired by a strong willed woman and he immediately takes over the show? The next two words out of her mouth should have been "You're fired." There's nothing in the characterization so far that would make me think that Elsa would have put up with that poo poo from friends, let alone some rear end in a top hat who just came begging. I could believe it if this control built over time and developed as a plot line, but his very next scene is "I'm in charge, bitches!" This is such a weak attempt to build some soap opera style drama that it turns me off.

Not trying to convince you to keep going with the show, but I can think of a good reason she relented control on that issue..... desperation.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Somehow I don't mind the ridiculous villains like clowny too much. I just view it along the same conceit as them singing modern songs in the 1950s. When you hit those scenes everything is just supposed to be a bit more "ok there's no reasonable explanation for that" I think.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Periodiko posted:

You think the writers of American Horror Story care more about the plot than exploring the show's themes?

I think it's likely that they actually care more about creating an effective style than a deep plot or thoroughly explored themes. This doesn't preclude them from making a good, or at least enjoyable, show, but it's certainly not going to be for everyone.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
For me, the appeal of the show is both the weird campy fun and the occasional actually tense or scary bits. That's why I disliked that Twisty just stabbed the store clerk in the throat instead of more creative or suspenseful method. Other than that I'm really, really enjoying the season.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Random Stranger posted:

When this week kicked off with a poorly delivered speech about how the freaks had to just be understood by the townspeople while they were burying a police office they tore to pieces

Don't forget they drugged and gang raped that one chick. Were just trying to live our lives here townsfolk.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
If this was Coven, we'd all be pointing out even the tiniest flaw. That being said, the criticisms so far are valid, it's just a matter of how much tolerance you have for them.

The toy scene was very contrived, classic horror film stuff. Painful if you're tired of that kind of thing, but also an attempt at actually putting some horror into the show. Twisty himself sticks out like a sore thumb, with his disgusting mask and ratty outfit, but you can argue that people simply don't know how to react to that in their quaint town.

You can also argue against certain plot points that are seemingly designed to protect the story. The fact that the cops found the officer's badge and only hauled in Meep instead of tearing the camp apart. The idea that Elsa would nonchalantly allow Del to push everyone around simply because he's a big guy and could rough up any intruders.

Ultimately one advantage Freak Show has that Coven didn't, is that this is the '50s and people are generally portrayed as more trusting, yet less responsible.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bottom Liner posted:

I love the show guys, I was just saying that the other guy's theory that they purposefully wrote the characters reactions to be the opposite of what they should be was probably wrong because the writing is kind of sloppy and serves the plot and nothing else. The show is still fun as hell.

Honestly, the utter lack of real-world common sense works out pretty well this season. It seems to mesh pretty congruently with the whole Freak Show theme since there's this naturally surreal quality to old-school circuses that's akin to Kafka or Tim Burton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

Random Stranger posted:

Welp, I'm out. I was borderline last week since despite liking the clown scenes the rest of the show felt pretty neutral to me.

When this week kicked off with a poorly delivered speech about how the freaks had to just be understood by the townspeople while they were burying a police office they tore to pieces, I became pretty sure I was dropping the show. On another series I'd think they were being ironic, but the entire last season was about how the psychotic mass murderers were the real victims.

I don't see how this is bad writing? What were they going to do? 'Oh, it would be hypocritical of us to want the world to accept us now that Jimmy flew into a murderous rage and killed a cop!' Get real, man. It's very clear that Jimmy has some mental issues/hang-ups regarding his freak status but that doesn't automatically negate his feelings about wanting to be understood.

Anyway, seeya. :getout:

• Locked thread