Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, he knows.

She snapped a guy's neck in front of him when he first saw her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Narcissus1916 posted:

IIRC, when Sara first came back she had several scenes with Detective Lance about how she was a killer and did bad things and he went "No, honey, you're my daughter."

Also, smart move on the arrow cast for bringing Tommy back in flashback to remind us that a) Caity Lotz can come back in flashback land! and b) Arrow does keep some characters dead.

They all but confirmed more of Caity Lotz on the DC website during them explaining why she had to die. Saying they can bring her back any time to show her rise through the League or some such.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

They all but confirmed more of Caity Lotz on the DC website during them explaining why she had to die. Saying they can bring her back any time to show her rise through the League or some such.

Yea the structure of the show(half of it taking place in the past) really gives them all kinds of freedom to get creative with killing characters and "bringing them back". The only thing they need to be careful of is not doing anything in the past that contradicts something we've already seen in the present.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

VagueRant posted:

[*]I liked the Tommy plotline in theory, but the super low budget fake hostage rescue was so jarringly weird.

It was supposed to be super low budget: that wasn't the actual police, it was just Ollie's handler pretending to be the police.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Klungar posted:

It was supposed to be super low budget: that wasn't the actual police, it was just Ollie's handler pretending to be the police.

I think the issue is more that they couldn't pay a couple of dudes to also dress up as cops? Because shouldn't Tommy get taken to a station or something for a statement at least?

And that final "John... I don't wanna die down here..." :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Gaz-L posted:

I think the issue is more that they couldn't pay a couple of dudes to also dress up as cops? Because shouldn't Tommy get taken to a station or something for a statement at least?

Tommy was never the sharpest tool in the shed.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Gaz-L posted:

Probably just made up some bullshit about corrupt police and told him to leave as quickly as possible. I doubt Tommy was in much of a mood to question it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, neat little bit of cross-media synchronicity: The current story in the regular (ie: not TV tie-in) Green Arrow comic has Dig and Ollie having to track down Mia Dearden, the comics' version of Thea.

I mean, it's not shocking, considering it's being written by one of the showrunners, but still.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

"John, I don't want to die down here." I think that's the first time I've heard (unless I'm misremembering) Oliver call Dig by his first name. Shows how much the relationship has developed in two seasons. Dig and Ollie for life

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I think the issue is more that they couldn't pay a couple of dudes to also dress up as cops?
Considering the situation they're both in, probably not.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'm surprised Arrow is pulling in half the viewers that Flash garners. These are two shows of similar quality, in the same universe, with future cross over episodes, targeting the same audience, yet half the people watching The Flash don't bother with its "predecessor".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TyrantWD posted:

I'm surprised Arrow is pulling in half the viewers that Flash garners. These are two shows of similar quality, in the same universe, with future cross over episodes, targeting the same audience, yet half the people watching The Flash don't bother with its "predecessor".

It was the series premiere for the Flash. It'll tone down a bit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flash is actually a much bigger name than Green Arrow so it's not surprising at all. Flash has at least some mainstream appeal and recognition. Green Arrow not so much. And yeah it's early, Flash's number will probably trail off a bit but my guess is that it'll still be higher rated than Arrow even then.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Flash is a pretty big draw. Hell, I only started watching this show once I heard he would be on it. Came for the Flash, stayed for the abs (and other cool stuff I guess).

Plus, superpowers are a big draw on their own. Unless you're Batman, powers > no powers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But bows > boomerangs?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Street level superheroes make for better drama, imo.

Before watching Arrow I thought Green Arrow was kind of a lame hero. He still, in some ways is, but it's better than powerlevel fight fest.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Spergatory posted:

Plus, superpowers are a big draw on their own. Unless you're Batman, powers > no powers.

While I tend to agree with this line of thought, this show does a marvelous job of making it work with or without powers.

Plus, the way this show handles a hero whose main weapon is a bow and arrow is nothing short of incredible. So many of the fights in this show would be either impossible or much less interesting if the archery was stripped out.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

While I tend to agree with this line of thought, this show does a marvelous job of making it work with or without powers.

Plus, the way this show handles a hero whose main weapon is a bow and arrow is nothing short of incredible. So many of the fights in this show would be either impossible or much less interesting if the archery was stripped out.

Oh, no, I agree. Arrow has the best and most creative action on television, powers or no. I meant that powers trump no-powers as a draw for viewers, not as a general principle.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
I'm going to be very interested when they do arrow vs flash. Flash should mop the floor with him so hopefully the levelling out makes sense.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Aphrodite posted:

Do you guys not have siblings or something?

Pretty much. I fully buy that Laurel would put a bullet into a guy for murdering her sister. Also, that one line of Laurel's explains it pretty well: "when I thought Sara died on the Queen's Gambit, all I could do is yell at the ocean. Now, there's someone to blame."

Laurel already has a ton of angst and violence built up over the years...being kidnapped by serial killers and psychopaths, having her apartment broken into and her life upturned a bunch of times, to say nothing of the reality that she's already lost Sara, Oliver, and Tommy before so definitively watching Sara die for real.

Hell, and there's the substance abuse. She's had tons of groundwork laid down to choosing some serious violence. She has more reasons to choose vigilantism than Batman, when you think about it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Scapegoat posted:

I'm going to be very interested when they do arrow vs flash. Flash should mop the floor with him so hopefully the levelling out makes sense.

Yeah, I know. I'm mostly just saying that the bow and arrow, itself, is a draw. (I also acknowledge that that's probably just me.)

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm mostly just saying that the bow and arrow, itself, is a draw. (I also acknowledge that that's probably just me.)

:golfclap:

(Tell me you made that pun on purpose.)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Spergatory posted:

:golfclap:

(Tell me you made that pun on purpose.)

Even if he didn't, it's still great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Almost everything I could say about this episode has been said already. Brandon Routh was great, the motorcycle archery joust was great (though I lost track of who was who), the fight scene in QC was awesome (catching the arrow and firing it back?!), the emotions from all the main cast were all awesome.

I really liked that Roy showed the note to Oliver and Oliver didn't get mad, because he knew Roy was beating himself up and just let it be okay.

Laurel's finally doing stuff and it's pretty good, but she's turning into Season 1 Oliver, which is bad for business.

The stinger was the greatest part of the episode. I hope Thea and Barrowman chew up that entire house in the coming weeks. I cannot wait.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Some Numbers posted:

Laurel's finally doing stuff and it's pretty good, but she's turning into Season 1 Oliver, which is bad for business.

I am sure that once Ollie gets his hands on her she will be more like him and not like Huntress.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh, sure, Oliver's had two years and two apprentices to learn from. He actually did a good job with Roy, after the Mirakuru got out of his system, so the two of them (and Diggle) should be able to focus Laurel better than Oliver did with Helena.

Speaking of Roy and his drug haze, does he still not know what happened while he was crazy? I wonder if anyone's ever going to confront him about the fact that he killed a cop.

VVV: That's mesmerizing.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nah, I bet Laurel's gonna hit the gym and take up boxing as an outlet for her anger and frustration, and vehemently deny to her dad and Team Arrow that she's beating up purse snatchers in a bolero jacket and home-made domino mask.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, I bet Laurel's gonna hit the gym and take up boxing as an outlet for her anger and frustration, and vehemently deny to her dad and Team Arrow that she's beating up purse snatchers in a bolero jacket and home-made domino mask.

If she does that I am sure it will be wild! I wonder if she will gain the reflexes of a cat?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's already cameoed, it's not a spoiler. :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Love it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I could watch this for days

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I know all their arrow work is CG, but drat if it isn't the best use of it. That's just perfect.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's such an adorable little twirl, too.

EDIT: I can't not hear a little Michael Jackson "Hoo-hoo!" every time he does it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, you can clearly see when he stops pushing and lets the slide finish the spin.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Reading some reviews of the episode, it's bizarre how a lot of reviewers just didn't seem to cognitively grasp that the reason Laurel didn't tell her dad about Sara was because his medication beeper went off and it reminded Laurel that his heart could explode in her face like an overripe grapefruit if she told him.

I mean, we complain about so many TV shows lacking subtlety, but apparently it really does just fly over a lot of viewers' heads when shows do try to do something nuanced with characters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Regarding the motorcycle-arrow joust, I think it would have been better if they cut out the second pass and just went with the first and third. With all three its just Oliver not really doing anything for 20 seconds and letting the bad guy shoot at him.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Just marathoned this entire show in the past two weeks. Holy poo poo it's great. I don't really have anything to add, other than you guys have a new convert who will be hanging out in here each week.

Also, during the Suicide Squad episode in season 2, I'm not crazy for seeing that quick blink-and-you-miss-it Harley Quinn cameo, am I? I just about lost my mind when it happened.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah but Diggle's response was badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Also, during the Suicide Squad episode in season 2, I'm not crazy for seeing that quick blink-and-you-miss-it Harley Quinn cameo, am I? I just about lost my mind when it happened.

No, that was an intentional easter egg.

• Locked thread