Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Avocados posted:

How heavy are these updates, if the betas and GMs sizes are to go by?

I assume it'll be 5gb like the OSX previous releases but who knows, I'm a pleb that downloads the final release on the app store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
The Siracusa review is out.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/10/os-x-10-10/

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Senpai finally noticed the Mac

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Avocados posted:

How heavy are these updates, if the betas and GMs sizes are to go by?

Couple GB, maybe around 5-7?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How do I make a bootable installation disk for Yosemite?
  • Download Yosemite from the Mac App Store on any compatible Mac.
  • Format a USB drive with Disk Utility with the default volume name of "Untitled"
  • Open Terminal and run this command:
    code:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction
  • Wait a bit (can be up to 30 minutes on a slow USB drive) until the Terminal output states that the process is finished.
This can be used for clean installations or in-place upgrades.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Should I go for a clean install? This is the first time I have to deal with an upgrade for a Mac. Do people do it just the peace of mind that nothing go wonky during an upgrade or have there been issues in the past when bumping up?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Clean install is not necessary at all. Some people just like to make a USB installer if they have multiple machines to do.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Do yourselves a favor and get a quality USB stick, like the SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0. This USB drive has been tested to perform at a high level, and it actually has an honest dedicated internal controller lifted from their SSD line.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mavericks is in the process of coming down from the store (it doesn't show up under Apps by Apple anymore), and I at least have a link to OS X Yosemite in my purchases list, but it doesn't go anywhere yet.

Should be any minute now.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mavericks is in the process of coming down from the store (it doesn't show up under Apps by Apple anymore), and I at least have a link to OS X Yosemite in my purchases list, but it doesn't go anywhere yet.

Should be any minute now.

I know I need to wait but it's still annoying.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Goddamnit apple, make it available already. I really wanted to get all of the usual upgrade BS and post-upgrade cleanup/tweaking done today, and would really prefer to not have to do it after dinner.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looks up now.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

They're just trying to gently caress with us.

does it actually download for you?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Is today's release Build 14A388b?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gimme dat Yosemite Apple :smith:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gnrk posted:

Is today's release Build 14A388b?
14A389 is the number floating around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, I'm one of the behind-the-curve guys who waits for the public version, and I'm still showing mavericks as the top option in the store.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Off to a good start here.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
BOOM.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Still not seeing it over here :(

aaand there it goes. Goddamnit apple, just trying to make me look bad.

edit x2:

:argh:

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 16, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It should be visible if you just type in Yosemite into the App Store search. Otherwise it doesn't appear anywhere else. Im getting the cant update now thing though.

e:just kidding, it worked now.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
NOTE: if you use homebrew or other things in /usr/local

https://jimlindley.com/blog/yosemite-upgrade-homebrew-tips/

Your install may take FOREVER.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yup, 5.16 GB. They finally removed Mavericks from the "All Categories" at least..

It probably would be worth one last backup to Time Machine before doing so, though..

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
Working over here.

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
downloading at 205 kb/sec. it will take a while.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

It probably would be worth one last backup to Time Machine before doing so, though..
I did it during the keynote this morning :)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ok guys, I just installed iTunes version 12 and I have a question. Where the hell is the column browser view? I can't seem to find it. Instead, I'm greeted with an interface that has clean lines and a lot of white space, and requires approximately three times as many clicks on all different parts of the screen to navigate anywhere.

How do I get column browser view back?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Ok guys, I just installed iTunes version 12 and I have a question. Where the hell is the column browser view? I can't seem to find it. Instead, I'm greeted with an interface that has clean lines and a lot of white space, and requires approximately three times as many clicks on all different parts of the screen to navigate anywhere.

How do I get column browser view back?

View -> Column browser -> Show column browser.

Alternatively command-B

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Running some errands in Santa Clara today, so I swung by the mothership and used their wifi to grab Yosemite at 10 MB /sec. 2 LAN hops to the distribution point.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 16, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cyrano4747 posted:

View -> Column browser -> Show column browser.

Alternatively command-B

Found it!

You have to go to the right hand part of the program under the search bar and select the "Songs" option for the column browser to show up. Weird and totally unintuitive, but there you go.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 16, 2014

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Build number of final confirmed from within the DMG. Now to decide whether to reinstall from PB6 or wait to see if they do a patch.

Edit: Looks like it's install from the App Store DMG to get up to current, no patch coming. From the public beta FAQ:

quote:

How do I get a shipping version of OS X back on my Mac?
Always back up your computer before installing pre-release software. To get a shipping release of OS X on your Mac, you can simply install the final version of the software you are testing when it appears in Software Update.

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 16, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So beta users have to upgrade to the latest beta, then upgrade to release? Unless they want to do a fresh install, that is.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I couldn't get it to install via Software Update, but I was able to download it after searching for "Yosemite". The only way to see the download progress is in LaunchPad.

I also just realized my 2011 Mac mini doesn't support Handoff. Boo, Apple.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can open up the Yosemite Installer app and get the disk image out to install on your other Macs, right? Do I have to install the incremental updates, like for iTunes, before updating my other Macs?

I might just like to dump the installer app on my time capsule and have my other Macs pull it down. That works, right?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

You can open up the Yosemite Installer app and get the disk image out to install on your other Macs, right? Do I have to install the incremental updates, like for iTunes, before updating my other Macs?

I might just like to dump the installer app on my time capsule and have my other Macs pull it down. That works, right?

Just copy the installer over if that's your preferred method, or create a USB stick using instructions from SWSP above.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
I noticed OSX Yosemite Beta 6 was released the night before, but I think the update is the same version as the release today? Anyway to check this out or should I just reinstall through app store?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lol internet. posted:

I noticed OSX Yosemite Beta 6 was released the night before, but I think the update is the same version as the release today? Anyway to check this out or should I just reinstall through app store?

I tried installing from the app store, it told me I needed to upgrade because I was a beta user, installed beta 5 and then beta 6, then I tried the App Store install again and got this:

So I think I'm good.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How can I start texting non-iMessage people from my Macbook? There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can turn this on at.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like this new release borked presbutan :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Avocados posted:

How can I start texting non-iMessage people from my Macbook? There doesn't seem to be anywhere I can turn this on at.

You need iOS 8.1 on your iPhone. SMS relay REQUIRES iPhone. Assuming you have that, go into the iMessage settings on your iPhone and you can turn it on. Make sure hand-off is turned on in your OS X settings.