Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ultima66 posted:

Like you don't look at the retail price of a game and say "well that price is inflated, when it goes on sale you can buy it for less so the retail price isn't the REAL price of it."

I totally look at the retail price of things and say that. Especially in the days of steam sales and stuff.

People don't just drop $500 at once on a single deck all together. They buy it over time usually, or sell the rotating cards and keep the core of nonrotating cards. If you've been playing for any amount of time you have a feel for the cycles of ups and downs throughout the year and it is totally a fair way to look at the price of a deck.

Mythic bant, now that was an expensive deck. 4x $100 Jace, 4x $50 Baneslayer, fetches, heirarchs, KotR, and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I wouldn't mind a card like Hero's Downfall being uncommon (maybe w/ a bit of life loss to compensate), for one.

Rarities tend to have more to do with how they're expected to interact in limited than any kind of price consideration on the secondary market.

Path to Exile was easily $5+ when it was in standard (and $50 for baneslayer and $50 for JTMS were considered crazy).

What causes price inequality is that certain effects are just super-pushed for constructed and others are unplayable and those who set the prices on the secondary market have to make profit for all their initial supply, i.e. mass pack opening.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zoness posted:

Rarities tend to have more to do with how they're expected to interact in limited than any kind of price consideration on the secondary market.

Path to Exile was easily $5+ when it was in standard (and $50 for baneslayer and $50 for JTMS were considered crazy).

What causes price inequality is that certain effects are just super-pushed for constructed and others are unplayable and those who set the prices on the secondary market have to make profit for all their initial supply, i.e. mass pack opening.

Speaking of card pushing, I realized today Sultai didn't get a powerful, efficient tri-colored creature like the rest of the clans (Siege Rhino, Mantis Rider, Savage Knuckleblade, and Butcher of the Horde).

Although their Khan is pretty good.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Speaking of card pushing, I realized today Sultai didn't get a powerful, efficient tri-colored creature like the rest of the clans (Siege Rhino, Mantis Rider, Savage Knuckleblade, and Butcher of the Horde).

Kheru lichlord is logically the last card in that cycle, and as far as powerful goes, it's up there? Unearth 2B giving the thing flying and trample, even on a random card, is pretty good. It's not "efficient" on its surface, but I'd say it's also more or less the strongest of the 5 cards. It runs counter to delve, but it is also a better effect than most delve spells anyway.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I believe Villainous Wealth is supposed to round out that cycle at rare. (Whoops forgot about the CDE non-creature spell cycle :blush:) The power level is pretty uneven though, since Siege Rhino and Mantis Rider are leaps and bounds ahead of any of the other CDE rares.

Edit: forgot Kheru Lich Lord (and I guess that dumb Raksasha thing) but they seem so much weaker than siege rhino and mantis rider.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Edit: never mind, misunderstood

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gensuki posted:

Kheru lichlord is logically the last card in that cycle, and as far as powerful goes, it's up there? Unearth 2B giving the thing flying and trample, even on a random card, is pretty good. It's not "efficient" on its surface, but I'd say it's also more or less the strongest of the 5 cards. It runs counter to delve, but it is also a better effect than most delve spells anyway.
And all I still see is a random shithead zombie cackling loudly as he shovels corpses onto a catapult.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Jonked posted:

You're missing Rakasha Vizier from the cycle, the card that becomes a 10\10 after a Dig Through Time on turn 6.

I know there's technically a card that fits into the cycle, but in my ignorant opinion they're significantly worse than what the other clans got.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

It actually doesn't necessarily run counter to delve, since you have the option of delving away your bad creatures so you're only unearthing good creatures with him.

Still, there's virtually no reason to play him in a format where Whip of Erebos exists to give you a reliable version of that effect that doesn't require paying up before your draw step.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Alris posted:

Agreed, it's ridiculous but realistically what is the answer?

As I gather the solution is to pretend this isn't happening and remind everyone that ten thousand years ago there was no commerce so Sorin was free, and will some day be free again.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

poo poo, I looked at my own deck and its 700. I guess I'm more made of money than I thought.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zoness posted:

Path to Exile was easily $5+ when it was in standard

Stoke the Flames is $4.64 TCG mid; the cheapest copy (including shipping) is $3.75.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

No poo poo. They also reprinted a bunch of stuff to make modern more accessible and standard is now hitting modern prices. Something will have to give eventually.

E: I think they've gotten too good at making playable planeswalkers. It used to be like one of per deck except for superfriends type control decks and now just regular midrange decks run 2-3 walkers. Or it could be that wedge decks are being pushed right now. Weren't devotion decks fairly cheap? The more colors you play the more good cards you have access to and the more expensive the manabase is.

Also Abzan is basically all rares or mythics. It has no good common or uncommon utility cards really.

Literally Abzan Charm, Sandsteppe Citadel and basic land.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I know there's technically a card that fits into the cycle, but in my ignorant opinion they're significantly worse than what the other clans got.

Card power across cycles is rarely close to equal, either in limited or constructed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

Card power across cycles is rarely close to equal, either in limited or constructed.

Of course. I was only noting it 'cause BUG is probably my favorite wedge.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I mean would Abzan even be a top tier deck w/o the Rhino?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Well, define top tier? Without rhino, there are still a good number of abzan cards that are certainly standard playable. I think itt, someone said Abzan was 4 of the top 8 decks in the pro tour? It might not be that common, but I'd still expect to see more Abzan than Sultai for instance. Most outlast cards work without outlasting, most delve cards do not work without delving...

Biggest shift, we might see more Mardu if there weren't so many rhinos with 5 toughness?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

^^Really? Without the Rhino it would probably be running some combo of Polukranos and Anfensena, or Reaper of the Wilds. I don't think it would hurt it that much.

Everyone is complaining about prices now when last year 2 of the best decks could be bought for half these prices (and much less if you already had copies of stuff that was literally junk rare jank a couple months before: Desecration Demon, Pack Rat, & Nightveil Spectre.) There are always going to be expensive cards in the best decks because people need them (Thoughtseize, Mutavault, Thassa, Master of Waves before its price cratered) and multicolor decks have always been more. If you want to be the spikiest Spike of them all, you gotta pay. And then figure out a way to pay more by only using foils.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

As I gather the solution is to pretend this isn't happening and remind everyone that ten thousand years ago there was no commerce so Sorin was free, and will some day be free again.

And yet the Louisiana state champ deck by Tom Ross, excluding eidolon from his sideboard costs like $20

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

And yet the Louisiana state champ deck by Tom Ross, excluding eidolon from his sideboard costs like $20

Literally beating the 700 dollar deck with a sack of pennies.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Lichlord costs 6, gives nothing unless you untap, requires 3 mana on top of it and doesn't let you choose.

Changing any one of those would probably make it playable but right now it's bad bad bad, by far the worst of those.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

Literally beating the 700 dollar deck with a sack of pennies.

I'm pretty sure if you were literally beating someone's deck, you'd have someone asking for you to be DQ'ed for bad sportsmanship.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

Maybe, but Rhino is the most powerful card in the deck. Second place is pretty far off.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I think without Rhino, Abzan decks would be trying to curve Fleecemane > Anafenza > Polukranos.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

No. Rhino is swingy as gently caress. You'd probably run Polukranos instead, but that's not nearly as good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

No. Rhino is swingy as gently caress. You'd probably run Polukranos instead, but that's not nearly as good.

I mean Polukranos is pretty good but I would like to have trample and a 6 life swimg immediately

Basically Rhino is really really dumb

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

jassi007 posted:

RDW was dirt cheap and effective in the era of $1000 Conscription Bant as well. That doesn't really excuse the problem.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Something I've been wondering: pre-NWO, how rare heavy were competitive standard decks? It definitely seems like there's very few constructed playable cards in the C/UC slot, and I'm curious if that's always been the case or if it's due to designing for limited.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

muon posted:

Something I've been wondering: pre-NWO, how rare heavy were competitive standard decks? It definitely seems like there's very few constructed playable cards in the C/UC slot, and I'm curious if that's always been the case or if it's due to designing for limited.

Very deck dependent. Like, UG Madness had basically no rares at all except for duals, but something like Kamigawa/Ravnica era control was stuffed with rares.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Equilibrium posted:

RDW was dirt cheap and effective in the era of $1000 Conscription Bant as well. That doesn't really excuse the problem.

The problem is people are willing to spend that much on this hobby. Nothing that doesn't endanger the success of WotC can fix that

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

jassi007 posted:

Is this a real deck, or was it just a good meta call?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh man one of my stores is doing a Khanstavagenza tomorrow, first prize is 2 boxes of khans, and then Saturday is a Fetchlandia! First prize is a playset of all 5 khans fetches!

But I made plans for a date with the girlfriend.. And I work late Saturday..

Quite a conundrum, indeed. :can:

Goons help me save Christmas!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Is this a real deck, or was it just a good meta call?

It's real, and as long as decks want to run Temples it's worth running a quick aggro deck that takes advantage of the early turns.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Go on the date dude. You play too much Magic as it is.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
If the collectable aspect of this game were banished, I wouldn't mind at all. Here's a new set! Buy the whole drat thing for X dollars! Buy it multiple times for copies! Stores can still open the packages and sell singles!

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Forget the date, dude. You play nowhere near enough magic as it is.

But seriously, I'm so envious of the people that live in areas with meaningful local tournaments. 'Round these parts I'm lucky to go to an IQ every few months. I would kill to play in these fabled semi-frequent "win a dual" style tournaments or a greater than 15-20 person FNM.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Typhus733 posted:

Forget the date, dude. You play nowhere near enough magic as it is.

But seriously, I'm so envious of the people that live in areas with meaningful local tournaments. 'Round these parts I'm lucky to go to an IQ every few months. I would kill to play in these fabled semi-frequent "win a dual" style tournaments or a greater than 15-20 person FNM.

I mean I don't get that much of a tournament scene unless someone does one of these win a dual/box/playset of x/goyfs deals either, we just have some events where 8 people show up and others where 25+ show up. Its weird.

I also don't have an IQ/big event until December, unless TCG runs another thing in central Jersey.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Count Bleck posted:

Oh man one of my stores is doing a Khanstavagenza tomorrow, first prize is 2 boxes of khans, and then Saturday is a Fetchlandia! First prize is a playset of all 5 khans fetches!

I'm assuming this is an ironic post, but just in case it isn't, go on the date because no amount of Khans boxes are worth a pissed off girlfriend.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm assuming this is an ironic post, but just in case it isn't, go on the date because no amount of Khans boxes are worth a pissed off girlfriend.

I mean I wasn't lying about the bonkers weekend they've setup and I probably should've scheduled around it.

That said I don't have the last piece of my RUG Walkers deck on me yet (loving Keranos :argh:) and the only other decks I have built are the widely varied results Gr Devotion and a homebrew Red Control deck that went 3-3 at an IQ about 3 weeks ago

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

The date can be a day in a store filled with smelly people playing cards, I'm sure she'll be understanding and accepting.

• Locked thread