Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I just got lazy and got a heroic 85 shaman on an alt account for buffs. And a heroic bard because....uh..I don't know. On another free alt account because apparently SoE lost the list of IPs that grabbed free heroics between the sofa cushions after the first round.

Still grinding away at my old SK. Currently I'm like...77 in that past version of Queynos Hills, forgot the real name. So I read on the previous page that Paw or...Plane of Fire would be better? I got some decent drops in the current zone but it's easy to get wrecked. gently caress you, Brown Bear Den Mother :v:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Oceangreen hills is pretty terrible to exp in, but maybe it's Hotzoned now or something? Drops below 80ish don't really matter too much if you can get defiant, you level out of them pretty easy to make much difference. Stay out of underfoot for the most part. Get to mid-80s by doing whatever to get exp; ashengate, direwind, valdeholm, tosk, kascian warrens, maybe plane of fire? After that you can hit some House of Thule zones or HAs, or solo your epics.

IMO, I would use your bard/sk to powerlevel something else to play with your SK + shaman OR bard. Maybe a rogue or wizard.
This gives you really good box combos to use:
SK+bard+dps + merc healers
Can kill probably almost any group content in the game with this setup

SK + shaman + dps
Can kill anything in the game boxing this.

SK + shaman + bard + some mercs or pubbies
Pubbies are easy to find, especially DPS. Can chill in some HAs with this

SK + rog/wiz
for just chilling, 2boxing.

But honestly anything with a tank is viable so it's whatever

darkhand fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 10, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I actually did SK/Shm/Bard a long time ago as my first 3box. I dropped the Shm for a real DPS class and never looked back. Grinding/group content is 10x faster and 10x less obnoxious if you replace one of those classes with a real DPS class. I replaced my Shm because cleric mercs are more than fine in group content and the bard is just too awesome to lose. You can always log the Shm in for buffs if you really want to, but I'd ditch the fucker for a DPS class unless you just REALLY want to manually heal with subpar merc dps instead of boxing high DPS with perfectly adequate merc healers.

Even if you can keep wiz mercs on burn while tanking and healing, their dps is pretty awful compared to a real class, and I'd probably quit forever before I tried to juggle keeping aggro off of burning wiz mercs + also healing. There are very, very few missions/encounters in the game that are so difficult that you can tell a huge difference between a couple cleric mercs vs a real healer. The ones that are REALLY nasty, you'd want a live healer and not a box anyway. The only stuff I've never completed with merc heals are ToR, PoW, CH2, and Chelsith2. None of which you'd want to try boxing seriously anyway.

For the vast majority, your ability to kill a named/finish a mission is far more directly tied to ending it before your SK runs out of cooldowns than having a healer with extra tricks

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Yup. Real dps can bring an encounter from 15 minutes to down to 2minutes. And all the good dps classes have OK aoe capabilities, and your SK has good aoe aggro, it means you can literally kill half an HA in 30seconds.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm planning on coming back to EQ and wanted to know if test server still has goons on it? If not where should I go?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Psykmoe posted:

I just got lazy and got a heroic 85 shaman on an alt account for buffs. And a heroic bard because....uh..I don't know. On another free alt account because apparently SoE lost the list of IPs that grabbed free heroics between the sofa cushions after the first round.

Still grinding away at my old SK. Currently I'm like...77 in that past version of Queynos Hills, forgot the real name. So I read on the previous page that Paw or...Plane of Fire would be better? I got some decent drops in the current zone but it's easy to get wrecked. gently caress you, Brown Bear Den Mother :v:

At 77 I'd be pulling chunks of the royals building in Valdeholm (if you got 2.0 and decent aa)

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Speaking of 2.0s, the Paladin one requires me to have a 10 man group inside Felwithe to let me do the next chunk. Stupid.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

The Rage posted:

Speaking of 2.0s, the Paladin one requires me to have a 10 man group inside Felwithe to let me do the next chunk. Stupid.

I don't know why this hasn't been changed for non progression servers. They lowered player requirements for some epics and raids (Qvic) but not others. I don't know if you have to meet a minimum raid level to do it either. Maybe you could make nine free accounts and walk them all to Felwithe, since F2P characters can't start in anything except Crescent Reach.

You still have to have six people present, in front of the Goblin Sensei to do the Goblin Dojo raid in DoN. Which is especially dumb because it takes longer getting that many people/boxes there than to complete the raid. I guess that won't get fixed since you can just buy a heroic character or upgrade to one and get the entire DoN AA line that way.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Node posted:

I don't know why this hasn't been changed for non progression servers. They lowered player requirements for some epics and raids (Qvic) but not others. I don't know if you have to meet a minimum raid level to do it either. Maybe you could make nine free accounts and walk them all to Felwithe, since F2P characters can't start in anything except Crescent Reach.

You still have to have six people present, in front of the Goblin Sensei to do the Goblin Dojo raid in DoN. Which is especially dumb because it takes longer getting that many people/boxes there than to complete the raid. I guess that won't get fixed since you can just buy a heroic character or upgrade to one and get the entire DoN AA line that way.

There are AAs that unlock if you're a heroic character? I thought if you were all access you got them too

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The progression AAs I mean. Gift of the Keepers, etc.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Rage posted:

That didn't get lowered? I know the rogue one used to require 18 in a PoHate instance, and got changed to be more lax on that requirement.

The in-zone requirements are stupid, you already have a requirement to request raids, additionally requiring characters to be in zone doesn't accomplish anything if it's trivial enough to beat with fewer players.

Goblin Dojo is the worst, you have 20+ minutes of getting people to run to broodlands, 10 minutes of med time between waves, and 25seconds of combined fighting to kill all the waves.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm planning on coming back to EQ and wanted to know if test server still has goons on it? If not where should I go?

There's still some of us who play regularly on Test with goon channel on autojoin (/join serverwide.gchat:fygm) so check the channel for any help you need, I (Passenger) can do PLing/plat/bags/epics for you if I'm on and not currently passed out in the floor from ambien overdoses.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Found a nice swarm spot for Paladins in the 90s. The river outside HoT is full of light blue undead. Just wish I could find a way to hit auto attack while I'm asleep, I'd afk grind them

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The Rage posted:

Found a nice swarm spot for Paladins in the 90s. The river outside HoT is full of light blue undead. Just wish I could find a way to hit auto attack while I'm asleep, I'd afk grind them

If you're serious, "/attack on" in a hotkey being pressed by an autofire macro. It will never toggle attack off, so you should be good to go.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

jetz0r posted:

If you're serious, "/attack on" in a hotkey being pressed by an autofire macro. It will never toggle attack off, so you should be good to go.

I actually was serious, thank you

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Man Darkhand tried warning me but zerkers are really loving awful. Not even just in non-burn DPS but having almost all your abilities either damaging you, slowing you, blinding you or unable to be used if you aren't already damaged is loving insane and whatever dev is behind it is my new sworn enemy.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Were you like me and PL'd one for fun only to run away during the 'what does this button do?' part of playing?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Pretty much, I got it to 100 and max AA and stuck with it for a day to see if it got any less ridiculous and nope.

How is it even a thing that a DPS class needs to be taking damage in order to use half their skills? Either you're only supposed to use these skills when you're in a really terrible group with a tank that can't keep aggro or you're only supposed to use them when using certain AA's? I really want to know what kind of hosed up developer thought this up.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

You have 4 abilities that help drop your HP: Communion of blood, blood Axe, open wounds and another as I can't remember the name.

Open wounds is the newest and the best because it locks your HP below 90%for a long time to hit your burns and augmented frenzy.

Here is my setup: fight starts hit open wound, battle stomp, and cry havoc. Then I spam frenzy, augmented frenzy, brutal axe throw, shared viciousness, banestrike, volley, axe of zurel, phantom, arcblade, and there should be another frenzy like combat frenzy or steel frenzy I think. If you're not around other mobs you can use cry of braxi AA.

You should be able to hit nondiscing rogue levels of dps with that.

Keep in mind you'll use more endurance than the rogue and any rogue that's not discing for like half an hour straight is garbage.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 13, 2014

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

I got an email from SOE this morning offering their all-access pass until 10/27 just by logging in to EQ. It also gives a mount and xp or something. The fine print is:

quote:

This offer is available to any account created between 5/20/09 and 9/13/14 and have not logged in since 9/13/14.

Even if you only played EQ for 10 minutes like me, I assume you could still use the all-access pass for other SOE games - though I haven't logged in yet to confirm.

[edit] It does give the full all-access pass for all games.

Kenby fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 14, 2014

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

So uh here's my situation: I box on test, warrior, bard, rogue/berserker/necro.

I can continue on test where all my work has been on my warrior, which is mostly replaceable raid gear. I am respected there, but I do a frustrating amount of work for slow or small gains.

I can play on fippy with karael and probably get up to their progression moderately easy. I would cut my boxing down though, or not at all.

I can goto live and start completely fresh, and maybe be caught up to 105 when it actually matters.

Ah what should I do? It seems like a good time now with expansion stuff to be looking out for a good opportunity to grow.I feel I could play most classes with exception of knight/druid and be a top performer.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 14, 2014

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Fippy!

I can't even muster a halfass desire to log into Test anymore. We're out of any new progression until the expansion which will most likely beat the gently caress out of us for an extended period of time, so I just kinda look at my EQ folder now, shrug, then fire up something else.

I'll probably raid again a bit next year once everything levels out from the new xpac, but Fippy sounds by far the most fun if I were wanting to play a lot right now. Starting fresh on live and crawling all the way back to 105/max AA sounds worse than kicking myself in the dick.

I didn't even think about it until your post, but Fippy actually sounds pretty drat fun. Might have to do that too...

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 14, 2014

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

darkhand posted:

I can continue on test where all my work has been on my warrior, which is mostly replaceable raid gear. I am respected there, but I do a frustrating amount of work for slow or small gains.

When you hit this point, you either need to embrace it for social reasons, because you like the people you're spending time with. Or peace the gently caress out to a less stressful environment.

For non-fippy live servers, you'd probably end up coming in at the tail end, or after any raid progression is done for TDS if you were planning on getting up to raid level. Fippy is going to be in key farming/progression mode for the next 8-12 months, so they're not going to have the same progression/farm tempo that normal servers have.

I'm no Passenger with insane ambien fueled PLing, but I could probably do something if you guys wanted to play on Xegony. And at some point you could leech loot from our alt-raids!

As always, play what class(es) you like if you plan on raiding. Being stuck on a class you hate and quitting or main changing isn't good for anyone involved.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

Fippy!

I can't even muster a halfass desire to log into Test anymore. We're out of any new progression until the expansion which will most likely beat the gently caress out of us for an extended period of time, so I just kinda look at my EQ folder now, shrug, then fire up something else.

I'll probably raid again a bit next year once everything levels out from the new xpac, but Fippy sounds by far the most fun if I were wanting to play a lot right now. Starting fresh on live and crawling all the way back to 105/max AA sounds worse than kicking myself in the dick.

I didn't even think about it until your post, but Fippy actually sounds pretty drat fun. Might have to do that too...

I swear, every time you post about EQ, it bounces between "I'm bored of this game" and "I'm so excited!"

As for Fippy, I would be careful. It's pretty dead from what I've heard according to people that used to play on it. The only activity on that server is from the only guild raiding progression, Citizen, and they are stuck on Lichen Creep because it's bugged. SOE has not given a response yet.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Node posted:

I swear, every time you post about EQ, it bounces between "I'm bored of this game" and "I'm so excited!"

That's cuz it's fun when there's stuff to do and progression, but eternally boring as gently caress when we're at a point where there's nothing to do but farm old raids for gear that becomes obsolete soon.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Halloween poo poo starts tomorrow and goes thru November 5th.

Time to get your spook on.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Node posted:

As for Fippy, I would be careful. It's pretty dead from what I've heard according to people that used to play on it. The only activity on that server is from the only guild raiding progression, Citizen, and they are stuck on Lichen Creep because it's bugged. SOE has not given a response yet.

Fippy is, indeed, quite dead. I had an unfortunate turn if work events that have kept me from logging in the last 3 or 4 nights, but the server is very quiet most nights. When I am on, I'm generally 3 boxing my crew, but there's basically no LFGs between 70 and 83 or so. Everyone in those levels are being boxed or PLed by guildies/friends.

That said, I'm always up for making more friends and I'm realizing that it's going to take me some time to get to 85, (I'm being careful not to burn myself out) so if anyone's starting on fippy or coming back and wants a PL, contact koreban or courthouse in the serverwide channel and I'll be happy to give druid/shaman/paladin buffs and heals and then PL in group once they're mid 60s or whatever the cutoff level is for group exp.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I know theres not a huge goon presence but Tunare has a decent population at all hours. I'm always finding someone to run around with or a General chat full of "OBAMA SUX" conversation.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Every time I log on I look for people to troll on test or shoot the poo poo in the goon channel because I don't remember what half my buttons do and its way too much effort at this point when I can do something else instead like pretend to play league or whatever.

My rogue got some kool stuff and a bunch of free AA at least. v:shobon:v

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Node posted:

Citizen can't kill the Cliknar Queen, hasn't been able to do Brath after their one time, haven't been able to do Hive Guardians again, and is now reduced to raiding with Darkblood in order to do anything. 10 to 1 Citizen folds in the next month or two and the remnants simply get absorbed by Darkblood.

Echoes of Elysium, on the other hand, is doing just fine, with our second victory last night over the slightly less bugged but still bugged Trial of Creation where the clay oozes melee anyone on their agro table, regardless of distance, and we did this raid with 3 of our main clerics offline. We clear almost everything in UF T6, T7, and T8 (we need a few more flags to do Audience, we need Lichen Creep fixed to do that raid, and Arthicrex is hit or miss depending on who logs on and who decides to cry cause they have to actually pay attention during a raid and not stand in static AEs).

I was talking in goonchat with some people on Beta and they apparently asked Prathun, who was in Lichen Creep at the time, what's the status of the bug, and apparently they have a fix for it. Although, this is goons we're talking about, so it could be an elaborate troll!

koreban posted:

Fippy is, indeed, quite dead. I had an unfortunate turn if work events that have kept me from logging in the last 3 or 4 nights, but the server is very quiet most nights. When I am on, I'm generally 3 boxing my crew, but there's basically no LFGs between 70 and 83 or so. Everyone in those levels are being boxed or PLed by guildies/friends.

This is partially true, however you also haven't asked in guild if anyone wants to do something. Just don't be obnoxious in guild chat like Jaxs is and no one will care. There's a bunch of people that joined lately that don't run box crews and would probably be fine hooking up with you. I can steamroll poo poo for people and get them set up on the server as well, I have something like 3 million plat thanks to OMM farming during SoD and am more or less done with non-raid gearing my bots, and I compulsively hoard anything that might be vaguely useful in the future. This server is dead in the traditional sense, but if you know who to talk to and ask for help, you'll get it, and possibly even have a good time.

If anyone is interested, EoE really, really needs Shamans, Clerics that don't take two of our raiding days off, an Enchanter that won't drama log every other night, and almost any melee or caster dps that is good. We currently run one melee DPS group, and have enough bots and boxes to play two caster groups (although not enough bards, we have 3 main bards though) so you should get at least a decent group in raids, if not necessarily ideal. We're full up on knights, so sorry if you want to play Paladin or SK, we just have too many right now :(

Edit: We apparently also really badly need a 5th warrior so one of our officers will shut up about having to box warriors.

Hit me up (fippy.karael) if you want more info or whatnot. The server will be stuck on Underfoot for a minimum of at least 2-3 more months, and by then, you should be easily group and maybe even SoD Tower geared, if not T7/T8 with a smattering of Convorteum if you're good!

Hoohah fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 15, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I'd be interested in going back to real raiding as a cleric/shaman, I'll talk to you about it next time you're on.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

If you guys know any awesome clerics, Roi is recruiting one or two.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Cleric apps are going to be scrutinized very closely after the Saavior debacle, just as a fair warning.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Node posted:

Cleric apps are going to be scrutinized very closely after the Saavior debacle, just as a fair warning.

Now that's just a tease.

The337th fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 16, 2014

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
jetz0r, do you think I should make a big "Things you should know about TDS before purchasing" thread on eqlive when they lift the NDA? Basically, a thread that shows every single thing lacking that, while constructive, basically sums up as "don't buy it."

They're probably not going to lift the NDA anyway until it's released for that very reason.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

jetz0r, do you think I should make a big "Things you should know about TDS before purchasing" thread on eqlive when they lift the NDA? Basically, a thread that shows every single thing lacking that, while constructive, basically sums up as "don't buy it."

They're probably not going to lift the NDA anyway until it's released for that very reason.

I think everyone should make one of those posts.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

I think everyone should make one of those posts.

SOE is pretty insidious about the whole thing. The people that make decisions about Everquest's resources completely shield themselves from the community except on a rare occasion on Reddit, so all the heat goes to community managers and developers. That is the only reason why I would hesitate to post a thread (not that some of the developers are being retarded.) The developers would look like the bad guys, when that isn't completely the case. Smedley and his loving lie about a full fledged expansion this time around needs to be thrown in his face, but he's invisible.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

SOE is pretty insidious about the whole thing. The people that make decisions about Everquest's resources completely shield themselves from the community except on a rare occasion on Reddit, so all the heat goes to community managers and developers. That is the only reason why I would hesitate to post a thread (not that some of the developers are being retarded.) The developers would look like the bad guys, when that isn't completely the case. Smedley and his loving lie about a full fledged expansion this time around needs to be thrown in his face, but he's invisible.

There's been a bunch of choices by the eq devs that are terrible. Spending time on the spell focus AAs, itemization, absor, spending a week naming spells, ignoring feedback for abilities, zones and quests. The devs 'closer to the ground' are far from blameless.

Raid numbers and content are just a part of the expansion. The fact that on top of our poo poo sundae of 5 raids we also get the sprinkles of unexciting spells, AAs, and items, plus some random bonus nerfs doesn't make anyone feel better about what we're being served.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Not defending SOE or its decisions at all here, but you guys are clearly not software devs if you honestly think the devs have any voice whatsoever in design decisions or what they spend time on.

Maybe EQ's just different from every other large software company ever, but I doubt it. It isn't the devs' fault. The whole idea of "choices by the eq devs" is almost certainly them catching blame that should be directed at someone totally different who throws them under the bus while they continue shielding themselves from the fallout, like Node said. In general, this is the same for every medium-to-large software company ever.

I worked for plenty of software companies as a base dev before I moved into architecture/design roles and have plenty of friends who did the same---not one of us ever had a single experience as a base developer where our input or suggestions were listened to beyond an "oh that's nice, now go do what we said" level.

If nothing else, the fact that EQ's devs are so communicative/transparent with the players relative to other game design firms is a pretty big signal that they ARE motivated to make the right changes and are looking for any possible validation they can find to back it up. I'd blame just about every aspect of SoE long before I'd blame the devs. They do the work that keeps the game functioning. They don't make the decisions that make it worse to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

Not defending SOE or its decisions at all here, but you guys are clearly not software devs if you honestly think the devs have any voice whatsoever in design decisions or what they spend time on.

Maybe EQ's just different from every other large software company ever, but I doubt it. It isn't the devs' fault. The whole idea of "choices by the eq devs" is almost certainly them catching blame that should be directed at someone totally different who throws them under the bus while they continue shielding themselves from the fallout, like Node said. In general, this is the same for every medium-to-large software company ever.

I worked for plenty of software companies as a base dev before I moved into architecture/design roles and have plenty of friends who did the same---not one of us ever had a single experience as a base developer where our input or suggestions were listened to beyond an "oh that's nice, now go do what we said" level.

If nothing else, the fact that EQ's devs are so communicative/transparent with the players relative to other game design firms is a pretty big signal that they ARE motivated to make the right changes and are looking for any possible validation they can find to back it up. I'd blame just about every aspect of SoE long before I'd blame the devs. They do the work that keeps the game functioning. They don't make the decisions that make it worse to play.

I agree almost completely, except I'm sure the developers made the choice to have five storyline raids and two quick bonus raids. Oops, I'm breaking NDA, but I don't really care. Nobody at SOE is saying a peep about this state of affairs.

Seven raids is an endzone for a six month expansion, not an entire year. Someone even said on the boards (although it was Axxius) that a developer at fanfaire was quoted saying we'd get two raids per zone, but I can't get any confirmation of that. 16 raids would have been a wonderful amount. But we're getting less than half that, and only one tier of loot instead of the stated two for raid gear.

People would calm the gently caress down if they said that was their goal over the year, and we're going to start with seven. Or maybe they really plan to give no fucks and want to see what happens over the course of a year when people get bored and guilds start dying.

Node fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 19, 2014