Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Zosologist posted:

So I've spent over a hundred dollars on the psn this month and don't see any signs of my free dollars. Does it come at the end of the month or something?

Yeah, it'll show up as a voucher in a message probably within a week or two after the promotional period is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
The way y'all keep talking about Peggle 2 makes me want to try it. I watched a YouTube video of it and it looks fun but like an Ipad game I'd play in the bathroom, not laying in bed on my TV.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
We have not yet announced a date. That said we don’t want you guys playing some of the biggest games of the year without the biggest update of the year.

{re: 2.0 Firmware.)

(Aka: before end of November, is my bet. Probably early Nov/late Oct.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

Sorry about your terrible ISP, I guess?

Every day that I read about these issues people have with PSN, the more :psyduck: it gets. I don't understand how so many people have these massive problems with accessing PSN to do, well, anything, and there are other PSN users like myself that have literally never had a problem with it ever, excepting scheduled downtime and the hack like 2 years ago.

If it was routinely system-wide downtime, like the Xbone's, then I'd say there probably should be more credence given to the issues people are having, but it's not. I have to believe it's a regional or a local network issue.

Sorry dude, it's down or partially functional a lot.

As a 360 -> PS4 convert I've never had as many problems with an online system as I do now. Thankfully I don't have wifi problems. Justifying the problem by saying "well don't use wifi" is pretty hilarious in 2014 and another example of the blinders some people wear.

I'm still happy with PS4 but network performance is a joke in comparison to my 360/Live days.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...

G-Whizard posted:

True but what he's asking is with the gold headset specifically. At least I think he is. When it dies you can still hear the game audio if you plug the cable that comes with the headset into the controller directly...but there is 0 control over how loud it is or if it's balanced for game or chat. It also gets rid of the ability to mute it. It blows but whatever, just charge it scrub.
Yeah, that's what I meant, thanks. I didn't charge it out of the box and just assumed the buttons were broken since it worked fine wirelessly. Also sounds like total poo poo wirelessly, hence why I'd only use it plugged in.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

The way y'all keep talking about Peggle 2 makes me want to try it. I watched a YouTube video of it and it looks fun but like an Ipad game I'd play in the bathroom, not laying in bed on my TV.

You know what else can be used in the bathroom?

:getin:

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

sellouts posted:

Sorry dude, it's down or partially functional a lot.

As a 360 -> PS4 convert I've never had as many problems with an online system as I do now. Thankfully I don't have wifi problems. Justifying the problem by saying "well don't use wifi" is pretty hilarious in 2014 and another example of the blinders some people wear.

I'm still happy with PS4 but network performance is a joke in comparison to my 360/Live days.

I'm a 360 -> PS4 convert too and I've had so much less problems on PS4's PSN (Got a PS3 not too long ago, it does suck online) than I've had with Live. Disconnects, Staring at the screen for system / title updates, Host Migrations, and more were just stuff I had to stomach over there. I don't know if it was the infrastructure or the community that caused those but it sucked.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ularg posted:

Aren't you privileged. Are you the parachute account for that one ex-microsoft employee that asked why anyone would live anywhere with crappy or spotty internet?

No, I just don't understand how so many people seem to be having so much trouble with every aspect of PSN where others have no issues at all. What's causing it to be so spotty for some and completely pain free for others? I feel like if it was a network/authentication/server problem on the PSN side, it'd affect most/all PSN users and not a subset.

For what it's worth, I have a group of 6-7 friends that all live relatively close, all switched from PS3->PS4 and none of had any issues with PSN in the months/years that they've used it, either.

e: I'm on Comcast, myself. Standard performance tier service, northern Colorado area.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 16, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you have Comcast they regularly screw up on a regional level (like multiple states) and break access to all kinds of services.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just as a bit of info: From the PSBlog today (re other comments altogether, but mentioned and answered flatly...):

+ Warchief30 on October 16th, 2014 at 12:36 pm said:
When will it release? And psn is broken please fix it!

+ Scott McCarthy on October 16th, 2014 at 1:21 pm said:
See above comment for release timing. Know PSN is with issues at the moment. The team is on it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
September sales are out soon, the PS4 broke even more records and tripled its August sales (well over half a million units sold September), it's clear the white unit brought in more buyers, PS+ subscriptions more than doubled with Destiny, and while Destiny is the most played game on the PS4 it is five times more popular than the second most active game on the system.

e: Yup, the most "sales" of Destiny were on the Xbone, which just happened to include a free copy of it when buying a new console
e: The PS4 Destiny bundle games were not counted into that, that explains it

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 16, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No, I just don't understand how so many people seem to be having so much trouble with every aspect of PSN where others have no issues at all. What's causing it to be so spotty for some and completely pain free for others? I feel like if it was a network/authentication/server problem on the PSN side, it'd affect most/all PSN users and not a subset.

For what it's worth, I have a group of 6-7 friends that all live relatively close, all switched from PS3->PS4 and none of had any issues with PSN in the months/years that they've used it, either.

e: I'm on Comcast, myself. Standard performance tier service, northern Colorado area.

I have Comcast, 50mbps, also in Colorado and I have all of the problems people are complaining about at least half of the time.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I was having issues all day with Verizon in NJ, but that legitimately seemed to be an issue with Verizon and not PSN.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

MrLonghair posted:

You know what else can be used in the bathroom?

:getin:

Never saw the need to get one :/ Not against them, just no need. Almost bought one when I was in the Navy but spent that money on a 4 day weekend bender.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I have Comcast, 50mbps, also in Colorado and I have all of the problems people are complaining about at least half of the time.

Sup, Coloragoon :hfive:

Anyway, I wasn't intending to come off as a dick, so sorry for that. It's just a bizarre situation that (what I feel is) such an excellent service is marred by connection issues for so many people when I haven't had any. :(

No idea, then.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
PSN seems to be back up.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sup, Coloragoon :hfive:

Anyway, I wasn't intending to come off as a dick, so sorry for that. It's just a bizarre situation that (what I feel is) such an excellent service is marred by connection issues for so many people when I haven't had any. :(

No idea, then.

Hey, I'm in Colorado with Comcast too and I don't really have most of these issues either. I think I heard the way the PSN works now you can get on a bad server and won't go to a new one until you reboot the ps4, maybe that is why it can vary from person to person. Or maybe I don't know what I am talking about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whatever it is I think it had something to do with the update that was released around the time of destiny. I don't know why it doesn't affect everyone.

My main issue has been getting my friends list and the store to load. Playing online has been mostly fine.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
If it means anything in regards to PSN being messed up. I was watching Netflix fine, left it running and then logged into destiny. Loaded fine, but took a minute in the "spaceship flying to destination" screen. When I got to the tower I had at least 9 other people spawn at the same time I did in succession.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it's a real loving dick move for sony to auto renew psn+ after a trial. i was going to buy a year subscription anyway and now they just wasted my money

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Did you try https://99gamers.com ? It's really nice!

Oh nice!

I'm still pissed about Goozex... I literally had like 4000 points on that site saved up specifically for when PS4 came out, and then the whole thing loving folded so even though I made out pretty well for the most part with it, I think I ended up at a net loss from the drat thing. Real bummer.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Davincie posted:

it's a real loving dick move for sony to auto renew psn+ after a trial. i was going to buy a year subscription anyway and now they just wasted my money

Like every free trial to a subscription service does this, why would you think Sony's would be any different.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Davincie posted:

In this day and age who doesn't know that a trial will auto renew? That is why most companies do a trial. Look at everything from Netflix to XBL.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The Cameo posted:

Like every free trial to a subscription service does this, why would you think Sony's would be any different.

Because its a lovely business practice that dicks over the consumer. Im not surprised, but I think its stupid.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Davincie posted:

If they make you put your credit card in, they're gonna auto renew charge it. Is this your first subscription service?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Subscription services require a card to setup so they know you're not a robot.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

blackguy32 posted:

Because its a lovely business practice that dicks over the consumer. Im not surprised, but I think its stupid.

Sony is a business first, and it is the consumer that dicks over themselves by not following up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Fuzz posted:

Oh nice!

I'm still pissed about Goozex... I literally had like 4000 points on that site saved up specifically for when PS4 came out, and then the whole thing loving folded so even though I made out pretty well for the most part with it, I think I ended up at a net loss from the drat thing. Real bummer.

Oh lame, it's just a bidding system instead of waiting lists and set values... I mean, it's still better than eBaying for cash, but it's less than ideal since people will undercut and it's a hassle... Goozex was brilliant because all that poo poo was automated and you just listed your games and waited, and then would get an email with an address to send it to.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Don't take this as the absolute truth, but as of the end of September I think PS4 is selling better than the Wii was at this time in its lifecycle. That's pretty crazy. New sales numbers are coming out this evening.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

the truth posted:

Don't take this as the absolute truth, but as of the end of September I think PS4 is selling better than the Wii was at this time in its lifecycle. That's pretty crazy. New sales numbers are coming out this evening.

drat. Even if it's close, that's pretty impressive.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

At least you opt in first. The psychopaths who run the product management group at my work were seriously championing automatically turning on a "free trial" of some new service for every one of our existing clients and then charging them if they didn't call to cancel. Their justification was the sales department didn't think they could sell it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

the truth posted:

September 2008 Wii sales were 687k, "nearly three times" the sales of August were made going by specific quotes of those with numbers, so a maximum of 190x3=580k potentially.
(oh, tripled. Correcting.)

PS4 Destiny sales if the white PS4 bundles and digital sales were counted by the NPD would have dwarfed the other three platforms combined.

e: Somebody reminded me that D4 launched in September and now I'm sad. No marketing at all from MS about it, and I'm quite sure it's the greatest reviewing fully exclusive title for the machine. MS financed and ordered that project from Swery, why would they waste all that time and money.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 17, 2014

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It sounds like the PS4 sold between 475k and 600k. The White Destiny bundle really went through the roof (I purchased 2 of them, so my family now has 4). Also surprising the XB1 Destiny standalone (including the free giveaway) outsold the PS4 Destiny standalone (which doesn't count the bundle). Does NPD count digital sales?

Also I was smart enough to redeem 2 PS+ year cards for my new PS4s before the trial ran out. iPhone reminders are amazing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Does NPD count digital sales?

i dont think so.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Real hurthling! posted:

i dont think so.

Well it is a given that more people played Destiny in North America and world wide on the PS4. I can account for 2 digital copies, and 2 bundle copies. Thank God I paid for the 2 bundles by trading in 3 360s, a 3DS, and several games.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

NESguerilla posted:

Whatever it is I think it had something to do with the update that was released around the time of destiny. I don't know why it doesn't affect everyone.

My main issue has been getting my friends list and the store to load. Playing online has been mostly fine.

Same for me, my biggest problems are getting friends list, notifications and messages to load properly. No issues with any online functionality in games.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/16/september-2014-npd-ps4-outsells-xbox-one-despite-microsoft-giving-away-a-free-game/

Venturebeat gives a 550K estimate for September.

And yeah, the Destiny number doesn't count bundled copies (not sure about digital), so all those PS4 Destiny systems don't count towards the total.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Fateo McMurray posted:

If they make you put your credit card in, they're gonna auto renew charge it. Is this your first subscription service?

uhm i've had plenty of subscriptions and none did this. none of the three print magazines i was subscibed to did it, xbox live didn't do it (i used cards, digital might have been different), world of warcraft didn't do it, my phone plan doesn't do it, some service i used to watch films didn't do it even the money i get from the government for going to college has to be manually renewed each year.

like this poo poo might be normal in the usa or wherever, but it isn't here

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Real hurthling! posted:

I think there was a bundle in some regions but you only saved like 5 bucks so just get a ps4 from wherever has a deal and then buy a cheap refurb vita because who the gently caress cares.

Guess I'll just get em from Amazon. Should I worry about the quality of the refurb? Is it worth the extra $50 on the destiny bundle for a free drink coaster and white finish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
XBL does unless you turn the auto renewal option off, and what the might be the biggest subscription service, Netflix, does (unless you cancel it before). Of course we can all find cases that don't, but it has been trending for years for things to auto renewal.

• Locked thread